Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sorry I didn't post in here sooner guys, but holy cow I just finished the last episode of the series tonight...I'm just done with TV. Enjoy the ride fellas because it doesn't get any better than this.

drat. It feels weird it being over. Someone hold me while I cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

lu_ducky posted:

Sorry I didn't post in here sooner guys, but holy cow I just finished the last episode of the series tonight...I'm just done with TV. Enjoy the ride fellas because it doesn't get any better than this.

drat. It feels weird it being over. Someone hold me while I cry.

I hate that I saw all of it too. I tried to go slow since I knew I could only see it for the first time once, but it was too good. It sucked me in and I marathoned it.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Claudette is the most morally bankrupt character on The Shield. People always forget that in the episode where her daughter showed up they revealed that Claudette smoked cigarettes while pregnant.

Yea Sk... Claudette is the most evil character on the show!!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I finished the finale last friday night. Good poo poo; I have some gripes but nothing that hasn't been said before.

One note: Billings. I hated him, but he grew on me as the show went on. He became much needed comic relief towards the end.

Now I finally have time to watch Justified, I've been saving up the new eps on my DVR

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Girlfriend and I have been bingeing (binging?) on the Shield after falling in love with SoA and realizing there was another show. People have always told me how good the Shield is/was, but I never listened. I am a fool.

I had had the Lem thing accidentally spoiled for me when I was reading brief character bio's on the wiki. Stupid of me, really. But still, I rewatched that scene, and he looks so happy when he sees that it's his favourite kind of sandwich... and then...

:smith: <- this face isn't nearly as 'smith' enough for this scene.

Anyway, while I ABSOLUTELY HATE JOHN KAVANAGH, I always like seeing Forest Whitaker doing ANYTHING. Dude has ptosis in his left eyelid, just like me. And he's famous. gently caress yeah.

For reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptosis_(eyelid)

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
When I saw Forrest Whitacker was on Season 5 I was pretty ehh. But then I saw his performance, and man. I hate that guy but that's a compliment to Forrest.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

DETECTIVE MACKEY

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Aatrek posted:

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

DETECTIVE MACKEY

I said "You son of a bitch." to my TV when I saw this.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I am almost done watching The Wire and I think I may end up watching this again because it is so amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

doctor thodt posted:

Best moments from The Shield?

Mackey chasing a guy who hops a wooden fence. Mackey just plows right through the fence like a bull and creams the fucker.

Nah

Vic runs in the door, screams at a guy in a chair to freeze, and then knees him in the chest.

That's the best moment

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm still a big fan of "PARK THE SCHWINN, SHITHEAD!" as Mackey runs a banger off the road.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

doctor thodt posted:

Mackey chasing a guy who hops a wooden fence. Mackey just plows right through the fence like a bull and creams the fucker.

Your wife's pussy taste like sweet buttermilk!

I can't wait to tell everyone in Gen Pop that you was the Lil' Red Scootah Bandit.

From now on, when I say suck my dick, your gonna say " can I lick your balls too Daddy?"

Dutch, be hungry on this case. Hungry, you know, like the wolf?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

doctor thodt posted:

After finishing the series, I thought an apt measure of the escalation of the show over the years could be found between that particular scene in Season 1, and another one from Season 7. Not mirror images or anything, but similar enough, showing the more drastic the measures needed the deeper the poo poo they found themselves in.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Did Sean Ryan ever give a reason the Tavon storyline went down the way it did?

Was it just always part of their direction? Or did they write themselves into a corner at some point (like say the coma) and they couldn't find a way to reincorporate the character? Or maybe the entire point of the coma plot was a way to write out Tavon to advance some other plotlines?

I always liked the character, and found the way his storyline faded out disappointing.

EDIT: I wrote this out after watching season 3 again. I'm making my way though the series again, but haven't watched the season the final two seasons since they premiered. I had completely forgotten about his appearance in season 7. So I might feel differently once I get a chance to let that sink in again.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 13, 2010

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I liked Tavon and was interested in seeing how far he could be corrupted by the Strike Team and then all that interesting spoilery stuff happened.

I'm not sure why it happened but in the end it kind of ties together with everything. Shane and Mara being co-conspirators

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
"Come on, everyone. Family meeting!"

:smith:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah the Tavon arc and the other guy (Who's name totally escapes me but he becomes the defacto leader of the Strike Team) arc don't quite work on repeat viewings.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah the Tavon arc and the other guy (Who's name totally escapes me but he becomes the defacto leader of the Strike Team) arc don't quite work on repeat viewings.

I totally disagree, it at once reinforces the way the four original Strike Team members' fates are inextricably linked in a way that outsiders aren't privy to, as well as strengthening the Lady Macbeth role Mara plays.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Aatrek posted:

"Come on, everyone. Family meeting!"

:smith:

That is one of the first things I thought of after you see what happens. It's such a small moment but it really impacts the moments that come later.

God drat this show is awesome.

TV just isn't the same anymore. I loved Burn Notice before and now it just seems so unrealistic and shallow.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Just finished it a few days ago. What an incredible show. Favorite line?

"I've done worse."

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm rewatching the entire series now - seasons four and five were probably my favourite (except for S5's :smith:), but I forgot how much Billings makes me laugh.

He's on screen for less than a minute and.....he just kills me. He's such a douchebag, and seeing all the episodes so close together really brings that out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just finished last night.

All I have to say is that you should probably have something positive to watch afterwards, because...

Fuuuuuck....

:smith: x 37256983

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

KillRoy posted:

Your wife's pussy taste like sweet buttermilk!

I can't wait to tell everyone in Gen Pop that you was the Lil' Red Scootah Bandit.

From now on, when I say suck my dick, your gonna say " can I lick your balls too Daddy?"

Dutch, be hungry on this case. Hungry, you know, like the wolf?

I was always partial to planting the gun on the dog.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can anyone repost that blurb that 'Vic' supposedly writes about what's happened since the show ended? I can't remember where I read it. Skimmed this thread, but can't find it. He mentioned how pissed Ronnie was, how he was doing at ICE, stuff like that...

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can anyone repost that blurb that 'Vic' supposedly writes about what's happened since the show ended? I can't remember where I read it. Skimmed this thread, but can't find it. He mentioned how pissed Ronnie was, how he was doing at ICE, stuff like that...

One page back, buddy. Link

I'm going through another run-through of the show and just hit the middle of Season 7. Why can't more shows capture this much tension?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Webbeh posted:

One page back, buddy. Link

I'm going through another run-through of the show and just hit the middle of Season 7. Why can't more shows capture this much tension?

That's weird, I remembered it looking different in the thread. I didn't recall it being part of that interview. Thanks, though!

BIG TITTY HMONG
May 26, 2010
Holy poo poo-tit loving christ, the end of season 5 had me crying and throwing things at my TV. I watch a lot of TV, and this is the first show that's made me do that.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

BIG TITTY HMONG posted:

Holy poo poo-tit loving christ, the end of season 5 had me crying and throwing things at my TV. I watch a lot of TV, and this is the first show that's made me do that.

Oh to be able to watch this series for the first time again :smith:

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Based mainly on the recommendation from this thread I started sinking my teeth into season 1.

I'm 5 episodes on. Its pretty good so far but...I'm not impressed yet. Does the show start to pick up soon?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Season 1 is arguably the weakest season. This show gets infinitely better as it goes on. Ride it out, you'll get sucked into the hurricane soon enough. You might want to catch up on sleep now, because you'll be finding yourself just-one-more-episode-ing soon enough.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you aren't hooked at the 2nd episode of season 2...

wait, what I am that saying, that isn't actually possible

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG TITTY HMONG posted:

Yeah, to this day I still haven't had as visceral and emotional a reaction to a tv show as I did with the season 5 finale of The Shield.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

electricsugar posted:

Based mainly on the recommendation from this thread I started sinking my teeth into season 1.

I'm 5 episodes on. Its pretty good so far but...I'm not impressed yet. Does the show start to pick up soon?

It picks up as it goes on. Things become a bit less episodic once you hit Season 2, and it just gets better and better from then on in.

For all the flak it gets, Season 1 has some gems. Dragonchasers is just goddamn awesome, and Cupid and Psycho is fun, albeit a tad hokey.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

DarkCrawler posted:

If you aren't hooked at the 2nd episode of season 2...

wait, what I am that saying, that isn't actually possible

Which episode is this?

"Cherrypoppers" is the only episode of television that can make me feel physically ill. I forget when that is though. Season 1 I think.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

User-Friendly posted:

Which episode is this?

vic burning armadillo's face

And yeah Cherrypoppers was part of season 1. They were still in that mindset where they thought they had to create and resolve a storyline an episode.

Season 1 was the worst season by far.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 8, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the one with Dutch looking for a missing girl And he talks to the kidnappers without knowing that she's in their shower with an arm missing

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Season 2, Episode 3.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ratatozsk posted:

6 and 7 are still available on Netflix Watch Instantly.

This loving drives me nuts. I have Seasons 2-5 on DVD. TWO THROUGH loving FIVE. I want to get my roommate started on the Shield (I just made him finish watching Breaking Bad and he made me watch the Newsroom) and we can't start it because I don't have my copy of Season 1 (lent it to a relative and I've since moved out of town so I'll never get it back) so we have to wait until it either shows up on Netflix Instant Watch (pleasefortheloveofgodplease) or hopefully it'll go down in price (15-20 bucks, that's all I ask!)

Hopefully the full collection goes on sale again soon, I'll buy that poo poo up in a heartbeat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think one of my favourite moments is when Dutch finally cracks his real first case there, and everyone applauds.

Then he goes in the bathroom and cries. :smith:

Oh well, the first part was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd like to see an alternate version of the Shield where Dutch didn't go into law enforcement and became the kind of holier than thou psychopath he was always itching to be.

• Locked thread