Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A question, if you'd care to answer, please...
The cameras I regularly use for shooting spoiled, ugly, demented, mutant children and their ignorant hairy John Wayne lookalike mothers are kept ready to transport, near my front door. But I've a few other cameras - all film - along with other associated bits and pieces. Right now some are in boxes or their cases, with a few here and there around the flat. So my question to you is: where do you keep your cameras?
In a cupboard/drawer? On shelves? Got them in some sort of display cabinet or something? I'm not sure if I like the latter idea or not, as perhaps it's a bit "Admire at my cameras and make comments!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
On the floor in my room. Scattered. Oh and there's one on the floor in my car under some pie wrappers. And I found a disposable camera for $2, bought it, and discovered it yesterday covered in cement in the back of my ute.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The answer for me is "wherever they happen to land".

But seriously, wherever I happen to put it down is where the camera stays until I need to pick it up. My Pentax MEs are collecting dust on top of a bookshelf, my K10d is sitting next to one of my backpacks because I was planning a photo outing that never materialized, and my M645 is sitting on my desk because I was taking photos of adorable baby bunnies a few hours ago :3:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Well, I have two in a box on my floor with a bunch of darkroom supplies, one on the kitchen counter, and one beside me on the desk. If I cleaned everything up they'd all be in bags or boxes on an industrial shelf in the corner of my room.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I keep mine either on my desk beside the laptop. but all my other stuff is on my shelf/in my bag depending on the day.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Film stuff on shelves, digital stays in its bag usually.

The Aero Ektar is exiled to the remotest corner of the house until I'm going to shoot with it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've got a desk that's normally used for plastic and metal models, but I moved all that stuff to the side to make a camera area. Of course, all my stuff is on the floor in front of the desk because I'm a lazy gently caress.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Aero Ektar is exiled to the remotest corner of the house until I'm going to shoot with it.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know they were loving radioactive :lol:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

oncearoundaltair posted:

A question, if you'd care to answer, please...
The cameras I regularly use for shooting spoiled, ugly, demented, mutant children and their ignorant hairy John Wayne lookalike mothers are kept ready to transport, near my front door. But I've a few other cameras - all film - along with other associated bits and pieces. Right now some are in boxes or their cases, with a few here and there around the flat. So my question to you is: where do you keep your cameras?
In a cupboard/drawer? On shelves? Got them in some sort of display cabinet or something? I'm not sure if I like the latter idea or not, as perhaps it's a bit "Admire at my cameras and make comments!"?

All my stuff is on my desk, kept together in a big pelican case. Otherwise, my rear end in a top hat cat will invariably decide to play hockey with my lenses and knock them to the floor :(

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, that's cats for you. Although sadly I don't have the problem anymore. :(

Maybe I should just keep my cameras in one big case or box or something. But I like being able to choose one whenever we go out somewhere - and it's easier if they're at hand.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I keep my 5d2 in a HPRC resin case with all of the gear I use regularly. I have a ton of old film cameras that were my dads and grandparents as well that I am using as bookends on different shelves around my house.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I wish I had a better system, but I've got crap all over the place. My 7D is sitting on my desk, my 350D is on a shelf, a lens and a flash in a shoulder bag, the rest of my gear in my backback. Light stands and an umbrella next to the couch in my computer rooom, softbox in the wardrobe. No organisation at all.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Everything stuff in a beat up travel bag. Said bag has lived in the trunk of my car for the last week, otherwise it's wherever in the house.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I keep the Nikkormat in the car. Well, my girlfriend's car. And she's taken it away (the Nikkormat) and left it at her workplace. Apparently she was showing her colleagues my "really ancient film camera". I'm older than that camera. :mad:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My 2 main kits (DSLR & med format) are in bags. What ever bag I'm not carrying that day ends up in the closet. Next to my bed I have two cabinets that I use as a night table. Inside that is where I keep my back up DSLR and all sorts of weird stuff.

I do keep a Nikkormat FTN in the living room loaded with Tri-X. When people ask about it I refer to it as my "throwdown camera" and refuse to elaborate.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Zack going live for his last day, should be more interesting today, hes finished with all the basic lighting technicalities.

http://creativelive.com/live/lowres.html

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

oncearoundaltair posted:

I keep the Nikkormat in the car. Well, my girlfriend's car. And she's taken it away (the Nikkormat) and left it at her workplace. Apparently she was showing her colleagues my "really ancient film camera". I'm older than that camera. :mad:

"Really ancient?" The oldest Nikkormat would be from what, 1965? I have three cameras from the 1940s and one from the 30s, and the Nikkormat doesn't even look that old.

How old is she?

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
She's 29. My Nikkormat is from the 70s. She calls it my 'clunky' camera. Philistine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

oncearoundaltair posted:

Ah, that's cats for you. Although sadly I don't have the problem anymore. :(

Maybe I should just keep my cameras in one big case or box or something. But I like being able to choose one whenever we go out somewhere - and it's easier if they're at hand.

I built a shelf in a closet for my gear. Now all that sits there is the gear I use less often (macro rail, ebay triggers, Vivitar flash) plus my battery charging station (two canon chargers, two rechargeable battery chargers). The rest of the gear stays on the desk, or in one of a couple of camera bags.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
It's funny I went and stayed with a friend of my girlfriend's in Chicago this weekend who is in his last year or so at Columbia studying photography.

Some of his work from last semester. The quality is poo poo because they are from Facebook but they look very nice when printed. He does not use flickr and his website is not quite finished yet so this is all I have to work with.

I thought it was kind of funny how little he knows about his own gear. I've found this is very common with a lot of photographers I've talked to. Even quite a few respected pros. He's shooting with a Canon Rebel Xti (I think I have a hard time remembering Rebel models) with the kit lens.

The funniest thing to me is that he was given a Nikon F3 with some great manual focus fast primes (35 f/2, 85 f/2, Micro-105 f/2.8) and he basically just used them for decoration around his apartment. I threw them on my D90 and shot a few shots. I actually really liked shooting with the manual focus lenses. I used them on my film body for the weekend (N8008) and I'm really looking forward to developing the shots. After playing around with them on my D90 he's decided that his next body is going to be a Nikon D700 so that he can meter with them and use them full frame. I think it just goes to show that people who spend so much time freaking out over gear just need to get out and shoot more. There are plenty of people who don't give a poo poo and just go out and shoot amazing images even with a pinhole camera made from a cereal box.

I really dig manual focus lenses. I'll probably run by the used camera store here that has a ton of old manual Nikkor lenses. I'll see if I can find a deal.

One of the shots I took using the 105mm f/2.8 macro.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 14, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Equipment capability doesn't matter so much for studio work when you can control the lighting and you're shooting posed subjects. It comes hugely into play when you're shooting in conditions that are unfavorable and out of your control.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

HPL posted:

Equipment capability doesn't matter so much for studio work when you can control the lighting and you're shooting posed subjects. It comes hugely into play when you're shooting in conditions that are unfavorable and out of your control.

You mean those guys lugging 6 figures of gear to the olympics and/or the superbowl aren't just unskilled hacks like Uncle Ken said?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

KennyG posted:

You mean those guys lugging 6 figures of gear to the olympics and/or the superbowl aren't just unskilled hacks like Uncle Ken said?

I was thinking more along the lines of the guy who took a few Canon and Nikon top of the line bodies plus lenses to a dog surfing event.

Don't get me wrong specialized gear for sporting events and such is very important. I'm into underwater photography which is probably the most expensive form of photography you can get into. My contention is that a good photographer can produce great images with even the cheapest of cameras. More expensive gear just makes it much easier.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

Equipment capability doesn't matter so much for studio work when you can control the lighting

ISO 100 at f/11 forever.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

brad industry posted:

ISO 100 at f/11 forever.

:argh:

But on the other hand, at least no one expects perfection when you're shooting on the fly. With studio work, it's like: "God drat that stray hair!"

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I had a horrible day of shooting yesterday for my fiancees graduation. Day was crazy overcast and rainy, indoor lighting was abysmal at: house, graduation venue, restaurant, one of my flashes poo poo itself and it was the only one I brought that day because I wanted to travel light. Our seats only allowed me to take pictures of her while she was facing away from us on the stage (I had to use my 70-200 f/4 and underexpose like crazy in hopes I could bump it up, LR3 noise reduce, and it would look okay, and it kind of sort of worked)

To top it off, sometime in the middle of the day somebody moved my loving dipoter so some of my shots that should have been perfect were slightly misfocused, and I couldn't tell because of a 2.5 inch screen.

When I say abysmal lighting, I had to shoot at f2, 3200 ISO, 1/20 and was still under exposed by 1-2 stops, so there is still some blur anyway.

On the plus side, her family only cares about facebook sized pictures, where everything looks good enough-ish.

e: And she had to return cap+gown after the ceremony, so I had to try to take indoor portrait shots of her-- 100-200mm @ 1/50 or slower, and still bumping exposure up in post. Literally nothing went right for me yesterday.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 14, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

:argh:

But on the other hand, at least no one expects perfection when you're shooting on the fly. With studio work, it's like: "God drat that stray hair!"

Yeah but that's why I like it, everything is intentional. No excuses.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

brad industry posted:

Yeah but that's why I like it, everything is intentional. No excuses.

Honestly, I'd love to do more work on the studio side. I have to develop more of an eye for those "aw, crap!" details before I even take the photo. If I ever buy a house, one room is going to be a studio for sure. Or at least one that can convert quickly into one.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Watching cameras get destroyed by wayward shots at the world cup is glorious. The ones triggered remotely and positioned behind the goal.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Fists Up posted:

Watching cameras get destroyed by wayward shots at the world cup is glorious. The ones triggered remotely and positioned behind the goal.

This is why 1 series camera's and pro lenses are built like weapons to bludgeon people to death.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Cuban Polaroid.

Make posted:

It was a wooden box with the bellows and lens from a folding camera mounted at one end with a complete darkroom inside. Using photographic printing paper the photographer would expose a sheet of paper for the negative, develop, stop, and fix it inside the camera, then put a copy stand on the camera and photograph the negative (to obtain a positive), develop, stop, and fix, then wash the final print in a coffee can of water attached to his homemade tripod.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Fists Up posted:

In the Spain game I saw an L lens detach and go flying. I cringed.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Fungah posted:

In the Spain game I saw an L lens detach and go flying. I cringed.

Do you have a time stamp so I don't have to watch the whole replay (I am at work and listening on the radio)

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

KennyG posted:

Do you have a time stamp so I don't have to watch the whole replay (I am at work and listening on the radio)

Sorry I don't. It was in the first half though. A shot by Spain.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
It was around 16:50 in the first half -- Ramos's shot goes wide of the goalpost. From what I could see, though, I don't think an L lens went flying. It hits and knocks over a dSLR, but I think it may have hit a small video camera, because the lens that flies off is white with a black hood, but it's thicker and shorter, like a 16-35, but since it's white, I'm assuming it's a video lens.

Edit: here's a gif I made off of the ESPN3 replay

(my hosting)

dakana fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 17, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
:cry:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It looks like a black lens with a sticker on it maybe?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

It happened in one of the earlier games as well. I think there was more destruction!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Because of the awkward parsing of the title, whenever I see the Polaroid thread, I read it as

code:
Pola

Roids come get your fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

Fists Up posted:

It happened in one of the earlier games as well. I think there was more destruction!

There was on the in the second half of the Dutch game. Couldn't get a cap of it. Commentators mentioned how he took out a few cameras.