Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

Man, I wish I were in JTF2. I bet I would have two pairs of boots. Maybe even four.

edit: and a cool sidearm

Heck even better they would give you money to buy civilian cloths. Heck I bet you could find the highest speed and the lowest drag boots to wear. You also wouldn't get jacked up for wearing good boots either.

edit. You would also get to paint your gun any tactical camo scheme you wanted. Maybe Blue or red tiger?

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
I'd roll Hello Kitty style, and have tassels with Rhinestones on mah sling. :frogc00l:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

Heck even better they would give you money to buy civilian cloths. Heck I bet you could find the highest speed and the lowest drag boots to wear. You also wouldn't get jacked up for wearing good boots either.

edit. You would also get to paint your gun any tactical camo scheme you wanted. Maybe Blue or red tiger?

I bet those JDF2 guys wear 7-11 Tactical and have their guns all painted in like iron oxide so they don't shine and give away their position and they have those really awesome knives with all the sharp things on them and have massive beards

Edit: I really just want all my entitled pairs of boots okay :(

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Having more than one pair of boots would be great. Having a small pack would be even better!

Anyone else hear about the Via Rail deal? 100% discount on selected trains if you book soon. Small print located at http://www.viarail.ca/en/canadian-forces

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Hrmm. I wonder if a reserves discharge paper would fly. I could use a trip to Montreal.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Hrmm. I wonder if a reserves discharge paper would fly. I could use a trip to Montreal.

I used that promotion a couple years ago, and I am pretty sure that even if you're former CF (or DND) you're eligible.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Jesus, so many restrictions on that deal. The passed few years they've been much more liberal in regards to how far you could go and when you could book.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I came across this video today. Thought everyone might enjoy taking a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Its a good song/video, but whats with the Marine dress tunic?

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 8, 2010

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Fraser CDN posted:

I came across this video today. Thought everyone might enjoy taking a look at it.

Good song originally, but I personally can't stand the Trews and their singer's ragweed eyes and awful teeth.

It's kind of rock and/or roll to wear random military stuff in a horribly unmilitary way, and I guess the guy thinks he's paying tribute by wearing it.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

They played at the MFRC show tour for us in Dubai. They were pretty good. I guess the singer was pretty close friends with that female officer that was killed in the 'Gan.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's a pretty good song, but I don't wanna be hearing that on the radio when (if) any more soldiers get killed.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Fraser CDN posted:

Dunno, I think that song is pretty terrible.

Where were you when they built the ladder to heaven? Nine-eleven, nine-eleven.....

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I received my final "Pension" cheque from DND.

6 and a half years of service in Her Majesty's Canadian Forces Reserves.

I am buying booze with that.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Congrats buddy. Did you put in any claims for health problems to squeeze out extra bucks? I did it for my knees, got a really nice cheque in the mail from VA.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Well, I got slip-ons with executive curls today. I think they kind of make me look like a fancy man, maybe not in a good way.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Congrats buddy. Did you put in any claims for health problems to squeeze out extra bucks? I did it for my knees, got a really nice cheque in the mail from VA.

No, not really. I just wanted out as quickly as possible, and I don't really have any disabilities. I went supplemental reserves, so IF I decide to go back eventually I don't have to take everything again.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

HammerOfHope posted:

Well, I got slip-ons with executive curls today. I think they kind of make me look like a fancy man, maybe not in a good way.

Issued or did you buy them yourself? I was thinking about picking up a set of shoulder boards now that we are allowed to wear them, but the tailors here want a ton of cash.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Lt. Jebus posted:

Issued or did you buy them yourself? I was thinking about picking up a set of shoulder boards now that we are allowed to wear them, but the tailors here want a ton of cash.

These were issued at clothing stores. I'm on ship and I intend to make Lt(N) asap, so I wouldn't spend $90 on shoulder boards that are going to be issued relatively soon anyway.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

HammerOfHope posted:

These were issued at clothing stores. I'm on ship and I intend to make Lt(N) asap, so I wouldn't spend $90 on shoulder boards that are going to be issued relatively soon anyway.

What coast/boat? MARSS/MSEO?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

HammerOfHope posted:

Considering I'm going to be a Lt(N) for another two to three years I'll probably buy a set, but I'll check out clothing stores to see if they have any slip ons.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Also, whats with the executive curls anyway? Is it just for the Fleet Review?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

It was some senators pet project for a while, and he managed to get it pushed through with the 100th anniversary of the Navy. It was funny because a few years ago the Navy itself looked at bringing back the curl but it was killed internally.

Anyway, it's an official change to the navy uniform, so its here to stay.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
Getting my things together in preparation for BMOQ starting on Saturday! I'm flying to Quebec City for a few days vacation before starting at St-Jean. I'm hoping there is more focus on PT and getting my rear end kicked into shape rather than powerpoint and first aid training. I'm in the MOTP so I'm doing a shortened 7 week health service branch BMOQ, and we do the other half another summer. Any tips on what to expect?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

CanadianSuperKing posted:

Getting my things together in preparation for BMOQ starting on Saturday! I'm flying to Quebec City for a few days vacation before starting at St-Jean. I'm hoping there is more focus on PT and getting my rear end kicked into shape rather than powerpoint and first aid training. I'm in the MOTP so I'm doing a shortened 7 week health service branch BMOQ, and we do the other half another summer. Any tips on what to expect?

I did my basic with some doctors and dentists ( they didn't have a separate course back then). They could have shot all our entire course DS staff and still passed because we desperately needed them.

So enjoy yourself.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Jebus posted:

They could have shot all our entire course DS staff and still passed because we desperately needed them.

So long as they gave it their best shot, that's all that matters.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

Lt. Jebus posted:

I did my basic with some doctors and dentists ( they didn't have a separate course back then). They could have shot all our entire course DS staff and still passed because we desperately needed them.

So enjoy yourself.

Well apparently now we're not so desperate for docs. They have a selection board for it now and they're turning people away, and they've stopped the signing bonuses, so maybe they won't be desperate to please at BMOQ.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

CanadianSuperKing posted:

Well apparently now we're not so desperate for docs. They have a selection board for it now and they're turning people away, and they've stopped the signing bonuses, so maybe they won't be desperate to please at BMOQ.

I think they've always had selection boards, and they probably cut the signing bonuses because we are seriously hard up for cash. It's hard to fail BMOQ unless you're functionally retarded or prone to injury. Try hard and don't hurt yourself and you'll be fine.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
So, how about that drug scandal? Good times in Wainright.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Fire Above posted:

So, how about that drug scandal? Good times in Wainright.

I can't really blame them. I'd have the biggest meth lab if I had to live in Wainwright.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
I'm surprised it's just happening (getting discovered) now. Hell, I'm surprised it didn't happen in Borden with PRETC. And it's not just that they were in WX, they were in WX on PAR (Personnel Awaiting Release), so it's doubly unsurprising.

Also, how long do you think you'd have to go without a room inspection before you were confident and comfortable with setting up a drug lab in your room?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Writing the CFAT next week. For someone who can put their pants on correctly, what difficulty does this test rank as?

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 17, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

ThalidomEid posted:

I'm surprised it's just happening (getting discovered) now. Hell, I'm surprised it didn't happen in Borden with PRETC. And it's not just that they were in WX, they were in WX on PAR (Personnel Awaiting Release), so it's doubly unsurprising.

Also, how long do you think you'd have to go without a room inspection before you were confident and comfortable with setting up a drug lab in your room?

HAHAHAH. I hear PRETC is a joke, people leaving for a week and no one finding out. Having the pizza boxes pushed to one corner means you pass inspection. But I guess when you have been on PAR/PAT for so long you can get your Cpls doesn't say much.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
For real? I'd have thought you have to be QL3 (is it DP1 now?) qualified to get Cpls. And why bother promoting a guy if he's just waiting around for his release paperwork to get done?

As for PRETC, I heard some horror stories, but never had to take part. NCM-SEP, woo!

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

ThalidomEid posted:

For real? I'd have thought you have to be QL3 (is it DP1 now?) qualified to get Cpls. And why bother promoting a guy if he's just waiting around for his release paperwork to get done?

As for PRETC, I heard some horror stories, but never had to take part. NCM-SEP, woo!

DP1 is for combat trades, QL3 is for non combat trades. Im not 100% sure about someone get promoted while on PAT/PAR it could just be a rumor or the truth. There are also people on PAR that are permanent category. Meaning they got injured in training and now are waiting to get surgery, or medically released. I do know people who have resigned their contract while on PAR as well (permanent category).

What is NCM-SEP?

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009

E.Nigma posted:

Writing the CFAT next week. For someone who can put their pants on correctly, what difficulty does this test rank as?

Basic math, literacy, and spatial reasoning; a junior-high student could pass with flying colors. And as you're able to dress yourself correctly, you'll be ahead of the curve in BMQ...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope the stuff going down at Wainwright doesn't interfere with my BMQ :ohdear:

Actually, no, I hope it does and I wind up in Edmonton instead.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Canuck-Errant posted:

I hope the stuff going down at Wainwright doesn't interfere with my BMQ :ohdear:

Actually, no, I hope it does and I wind up in Edmonton instead.

Play your cards right and you might end up with a pleasant stay at Club Ed :toot:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

Play your cards right and you might end up with a pleasant stay at Club Ed :toot:

Not gonna lie. Might prefer that over Wainwright again.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HammerOfHope posted:

Well, I know a cute blonde girl in Edmonton. Met her on a cruise ship, her family likes me for whatever reason, she's got nice tits...

:c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag

Fraser CDN posted:

What is NCM-SEP?

NCM-SEP is the Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Education Program. It's a way to go to an actual civvy college instead of taking the military training. For my own example, I went to SIAST in Saskatoon for two years and got a diploma in electronics engineering instead of going to Kingston for POET and LCIS Tech QL3. My tuition, books, and supplies were paid for, and I got paid my regular salary. Wasn't allowed to grow long hair or a beard, but I wore civilian clothes to school, too! I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of OT-ing.