Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

PaintVagrant posted:

Cant get them, Im not sure if they are discontinued or what

Definitely not. I can still order them through my local store, but the MSRP on those is outrageous.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Dear painting and modeling thread: today I painted an eyeball that doesn't look like poo poo. It has the small problem of being in the wrong place on the model's face, but that's something I can live with, since you can't notice that minor deviation from 18" away.

e: wow, that cloak looks way more metallic than it actually is. In person, it's a satin finish deep brown-red.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Lord Den?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Goons I need some advice. I recently came into possession of a Rogue Trader era space marine dreadnought. Should I bulk up the shoulders a bit and add some plating to make it a little closer to the modern dreads, or paint it and leave it as-is?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hey stabbington, if I can make a suggestion it would be to work your colors lighter on that model, and try to push for some contrast. It looks like some areas have a bit of a highlight or build-up, but its pretty low contrast overall.

You did a pretty good job of picking out the trim on the figure, maybe bump it up with another highlight!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bhsman posted:

Lord Den?

I assume you mean Battle Angel Alita's Den? I was going to post that earlier, but then I actually looked at Den and aside from being a robot centaur with vaguely similar helmets, they're totally different.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, it needs more contrast. I'll probably do a final highlight pass tonight or tomorrow.

I really need to set up a light tent so I can take decent photos of things, my desk lamps end up blowing things out like crazy, especially in the afternoons with sunlight flooding in my window.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Here are some crappy pics of my unfinished gaming table/terrain, being used for an infinity game. Ill post more pics in the alt-games thread.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Bhyo posted:

As sad as it is, I've wanted a model in the display cabinets since I was 12. The massive list of compliments helped too.

I want to work at a gaming shop just so I can do this :smith:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Alright, last time I post this poo poo until I take a picture of the entire finished army. Highlighting: stepped the gently caress up (I am even more in love with meredius blue than I am with coal black, a thing I had thought impossible).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Goons halp!

My primer did the crackle thing on me. Searching for stripping plastic models brings up 30 different opinions, but I forget which one earned the goon seal of approval.

edit: live in Japan, so simple green is probably not a good answer

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
LA's Totally Awesome is another one if the options help

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PaintVagrant posted:

Here are some crappy pics of my unfinished gaming table/terrain, being used for an infinity game. Ill post more pics in the alt-games thread.

Did you already post a quick painting recipe for those walls?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

stabbington posted:

Alright, last time I post this poo poo until I take a picture of the entire finished army. Highlighting: stepped the gently caress up (I am even more in love with meredius blue than I am with coal black, a thing I had thought impossible).

I am going to need to keep that blue highlight for black in mind, it looks awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That looks a lot nicer stabbington!

Cakefool, its a few pages back, but its basically

texture bone spray
bone highlight airbrush
airbrush orange
airbursh brown
airbrush a little black
weather with sponge, scorched brown
devlan mud drips

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Cakefool, do you want another of those Cities of Death floor bits with the trap door and AdMech skull thing?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

sicarius posted:

Definitely not. I can still order them through my local store, but the MSRP on those is outrageous.

I found 'em on Miniatures Market for ~130ish.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Posting this in here for a possibly larger audience:
Other than some minor cosmetics (mould lines, heads for the gunner and driver), my Ork trukk conversion is complete. What do you guys think of it in its almost finished state?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1365 image.

I am very happy with how this engine/exhaust worked out, it was the part of the kit I had no knowledge or plans of fitting into place. I lucked out on it being an easy cut and fit

Mad Max references have been noted already, and may exist in the future.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
That assault trukk is totally effing badass. Nice job man.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
that trukk is awesome FractionMan

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Paintingoons, I need your help!

I know the lighting isn't optimal, but I need some input. I'm not happy about the skin (most rest of the model isn't finished either) and I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe the contrast on the highlight is to harsh? Could I fix it with a watered down purple wash?

I'm not used to spending that much time on skin, I usually just do a coat or two followed by a wash, but that didn't give me the result I wanted.

gently caress, I wish I had some empty pots, having to mix all the layers as I go takes loving forever!

edit: not sure about the green either, but I had to stear clea of light and dark browns so the the entire model (+ base) is the same color

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 13, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shallow posted:

Cakefool, do you want another of those Cities of Death floor bits with the trap door and AdMech skull thing?

No thanks, after a long & difficult operation a surgeon managed to open my wallet so I bought the whole manufactorium set. I managed to use both sides of a single tile for those doors.

Also, FractionMan, I had a similar thought a while ago - cram the engine/drivers under the floor & do a complete flatbed/flying carpet thing. That would have required me to buy the kit though, so meh. Yours looks ace!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How many of those chimney things do you get in a Manufactorum, anyway?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

4 long chimney halves of 2 different designs, 2 90' bend halves.

Aegoceros
Jan 28, 2010

Terror dwelling in the secret place of life, that which is without form taking to itself a form. Can it be that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing?
So I've made a bad decision: converting Mark III Iron Armor for my Death Guard to roll around in, killing fools.

I found a pretty good method here: http://www.mywargame.com/pre-heresy-model-and-painting-resources/

Then I remembered that I suck at greenstuff with my stubby little clumsy hands. After making a mess of two pairs of Space Marine pants, lightning struck! All the greenstuff shenanigans were simply to cover over wiring and smooth the foot into one part rather than a stepped thing.

1.5 minutes with a xacto knife later, victory is mine! Though I still need to do the chest (plasticard plate/groin card) and find something to use for studs, but woot!

Will post pictures when they are not terrible.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, I spent today busting out with the crackle medium and airbrush, trying to find out if I could make this stuff work on my Vypers. The answer is, I think, no. Rather than an 'antique' look, I ended up with this:

Click here for the full 1065x624 image.

Click here for the full 611x1198 image.

Which basically looks more like a lovely paintjob than anything else. It actually makes for a reasonable weathering effect, and I can see using it on Ork vehicles or something similar to basically look like a quick paintjob flaking away. I think that it would look better if I used a much closer color, Khaki maybe, snakebite leather, maybe even white, but I don't know if I have the patience or time to do it all over.

What do you guys think? Should it go straight into the Simple Green, or is it worth working on the detailing and see what the end product is like before I call it quits?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ashcans: Id probably ditch that as an eldar paintscheme, but Id use it on orks/chaos/etc. I think a plague marine army painted with those colors would look super badass

more progress on my table: everything is based

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ashcans posted:

What do you guys think? Should it go straight into the Simple Green, or is it worth working on the detailing and see what the end product is like before I call it quits?

I think this would work a lot better in patches, like battle damage or heat distortion from pew pew lasers.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Well, I spent today busting out with the crackle medium and airbrush, trying to find out if I could make this stuff work on my Vypers. The answer is, I think, no. Rather than an 'antique' look, I ended up with this:

Click here for the full 1065x624 image.

Click here for the full 611x1198 image.

Which basically looks more like a lovely paintjob than anything else. It actually makes for a reasonable weathering effect, and I can see using it on Ork vehicles or something similar to basically look like a quick paintjob flaking away. I think that it would look better if I used a much closer color, Khaki maybe, snakebite leather, maybe even white, but I don't know if I have the patience or time to do it all over.

Alright, it won't work for Eldar but it'll definitely work on my chaos. Can you give me a rundown (as detailed as you can be) on how you did it/what you used? That kind of effect on my Soul Grinder's armor plates is exactly what I'm looking for.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm kind of frustrated by this whole thing, but at the same time I am glad that I tried it out. Up until now I have basically been copying methods and techniques from other people, so trying to hash something out on my own has been interesting. And even though it's not going to work for my Eldar, I think I can use it for my Orks one way or another.

Into the drink with you, vyper!

crime fighting hog posted:

Alright, it won't work for Eldar but it'll definitely work on my chaos. Can you give me a rundown (as detailed as you can be) on how you did it/what you used? That kind of effect on my Soul Grinder's armor plates is exactly what I'm looking for.

Sure thing. I kept pretty good notes because I wanted to be able to replicate the whole thing if it worked out at all.

From the plastic up:

1) Undercoat with black gesso. This can be a pain on larger surfaces, so sometimes I have to rework it a bit and make sure its not leaving any gaps. I doubt the undercoat makes too much difference in the end, so spray or whatever you like.

2) Single coat of Graveyard Earth, thinned regularly.

3) Two coats of Vermin Brown. I thinned this down a little more than usual, because I was trying to preserve the detail.

At this point you should have a fairly nice, solid brown, pretty much the color you see coming through in all those cracks and gaps. This will show through, so its important that its not streaky or anything.

4) Single coat of PVA glue. This is thinned down a lot (like 5:1), there should barely be any visible whiteness when you're applying it. Its basically to create a 'seal' coat over the paint.

Wait for that to dry completely.

5) Apply a coat of Vallejo Crackle Medium. This is weird stuff. You need to apply just a single coat, not too thick, and you don't want to rework it once you've painted it down. I use a large, soft brush, and try to do it in as few strokes as possible. Fortunately its very glossy when you put it on, so you can see anywhere you missed.

Wait 25-30 minutes. In the meantime, prep your airbrush.

6) Apply final coat with airbrush. For me that was Bleached Bone, thinned at about 3:2 paint:water - I arrived at that ratio by screwing around with my airbrush and paint. You want it to be hitting thick enough to get coverage in a single pass - because of the way the crackle works, you can't really respray to get better color. You need to do the whole thing in a few seconds, as few sweeps as possible.

7) Let the whole thing dry for ~1 hour. The cracks appear gradually, and it takes them a while to 'fix' in place, so poking at it or moving it around can screw it up. The final product is actually more durable than you might think, but I would still hit it with a dullcoat to protect it.

If you use a matte finish you might be able to go back and paint over it again - don't try and paint the finished product without doing this, because of something about the medium it will flake and tear pretty easily and make a mess of the whole thing. I've tried to touch up edges and things in previous tests and you risk screwing up the entire surface. Washes and (I think) glazes are also a no go, although you might be able to use them after its dullcoated.

I think thats everything. Let me know if you have any questions and I guess I can try to help out!

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Shavnir posted:

I found 'em on Miniatures Market for ~130ish.

The sad thing is, that's still too much. I'd rater get the Army Transport pluck foam from TWS honestly. I have one WM bag already - I just can't justify spending $300 on bags really.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Ashcans posted:

From the plastic up:

You're the man, Ashcans. I'll try this out as soon as I build my spray booth!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sicarius posted:

The sad thing is, that's still too much. I'd rater get the Army Transport pluck foam from TWS honestly. I have one WM bag already - I just can't justify spending $300 on bags really.

The margin on the battlefoam bags is razor thin, 130 is them (mini market) making like 10-15 dollars on a 150 dollar bag. Them shits is just pricy.

I got lucky and caught a sale at the distrib, which is why I can hock the few that I got pretty cheaply

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

PaintVagrant posted:

The margin on the battlefoam bags is razor thin, 130 is them (mini market) making like 10-15 dollars on a 150 dollar bag. Them shits is just pricy.

I got lucky and caught a sale at the distrib, which is why I can hock the few that I got pretty cheaply

That sucks. They're just too expensive to ever have more than one really - in that case. Maybe once I've got 4 forces I will grab another, but when they're almost the cost of a 25 point battlegroup, it becomes hard to justify in multiples. Time to get some Army Transport.

That being said - are there any real alternatives to these two? With BF being too expensive I have to turn to AT, but I'm often underwhelmed by their carrying capacity.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

sicarius posted:

That sucks. They're just too expensive to ever have more than one really - in that case. Maybe once I've got 4 forces I will grab another, but when they're almost the cost of a 25 point battlegroup, it becomes hard to justify in multiples. Time to get some Army Transport.

That being said - are there any real alternatives to these two? With BF being too expensive I have to turn to AT, but I'm often underwhelmed by their carrying capacity.

There's KaiserRushforth. Their big cases seem to do all right, and they're sponsoring the goon oath thread.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

FractionMan posted:

Posting this in here for a possibly larger audience:
Other than some minor cosmetics (mould lines, heads for the gunner and driver), my Ork trukk conversion is complete. What do you guys think of it in its almost finished state?

Mad Max references have been noted already, and may exist in the future.

I like it. My only suggestion is to put some sort of ram at the front so those gits don't drive off while you are trying to board them.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Crosspost from the oath thread:

Click here for the full 699x750 image.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Click here for the full 1119x370 image.

I'd really like to learn how to paint better, so tell me what I'm doing wrong on these guys? I don't think they're bad, considering how long it's been since my last painted miniature, but if you're going to do something do it well, right? (Also I swear those bases look a lot more metallic in person.)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Seeing that space crusade gretchin makes me go all crazy nostalgic for heroquest. Godamnit.

Hrmpf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

enri posted:

Seeing that space crusade gretchin makes me go all crazy nostalgic for heroquest. Godamnit.

Hrmpf.

Space Crusade and Heroquest were gateway drugs. I blame them totally for turning me into a giant nerd. Look what I dug out and repainted (overzealous gluing on chest performed by 12 year old me, not 26 year old me):

Such ugly models, I can't help but love them though :allears: I'd pay good money for a Space Crusade dreadnought.

• Locked thread