Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Frag Viper posted:

If you own an older Jeep, sooner or later you're going to have to replace your cracked exhaust manifold. I've been putting this off for awhile. Like years actually. I couldn't take the noise, the performance, or the lovely mileage so I broke down and bought the parts and did the fix a day ago because my mechanic quoted me 440 bucks for the fix and im unemployed and broke.

Its not a hard fix, just label all bolts, or take photos so you remember where everything goes, thats probably the most important thing. During the fix you have to remove your power steering pump, airbox, and intake manifold to get the exhaust manifold out. The hardest part is getting at the lower intake manifold bolts. A wobble extension worked great for this, and a set of Great Neck flex wrenches for everything else. All in all it took me about 4 hours and 8 beers.

First things noticed was how quiet the XJ is now. It no longer sounds like a lawnmower. Smoother idling, shifts better, my mileage is once again acceptable, and it sounds pretty good on acceleration to boot.

Here be the pics
Everything removed you can now take off the exhaust manifold/header unit. All bolts are 14mm for the manifold systems.

As you can see, I had a pretty bad crack. It was all the way around.

This is the new one. Its made by Rugged Ridge, and had a raw steel finish. I primed and painted it with high temp paint. The top has held up so far, but at the exhaust flange gasket the paints flaking off already. Here's the link to Quadratec. It comes with everything you need. I suggest buying that spray on copper gasket stuff though and spraying both sides of the gasket.

And everything back together.

Edit:
Pic of the Heep

That is a beautiful XJ. Thankfully mine hasn't cracked its exhaust manifold yet. However my old XJ with its 2.5l had cracked its exhaust manifold twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I put swaybar disconnects on this weekend, and I was looking at them exclaiming "Why are they at such a goddamn terrible angle, THAT'S STUPID".

I put the studs on the axle end(bottom) backwards or outboards instead of inboards, amazing once I switched them around they were easy to connect and disconnect and not tight as gently caress, and at a stupid angle.

I blame hot shop and cold beer.

MoraleBuddy
Sep 7, 2008

Everyone, say hi to Renix. Renix, say hi to everyone. :tipshat:

As mentioned previously, Renix has been waiting for a new gas tank and some fuel injectors for quite a while now. I think these pictures make it pretty obvious as to why:

So, I painted the gas tank:

Then, I put in the fuel injectors, and the gas tank:

And here's where poo poo gets lame. I forgot to take a picture of the installed gas tank, and upon taking a test drive I found that I had improperly installed one of my fuel injectors and it was spraying gas all over the intake (and exhaust!).

Next week I need to put a muffler on it, so that's when I'm going to take apart injectors again and see what I did wrong. I thought that I saw a piece of an injector sitting on the intake, but when i went to grab it, it fell with out hitting the ground, so I'll see what condition the #2 injector is in when I pull it apart. Hopefully that the issue and I can get it replaced by the company.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I'll give this a shot, it's mostly third hand information so it may be a total flop.

I've got a friend with an '03 Jeep Wrangler. The original I4 in it blew up so they put in a new one. That's where the problems started. Engine went in fine went to start it and the typical hard starting/bad idle/eventual dying of a mistimed engine. Retime it? Same thing. They used the old ECU so perhaps there's some sort of ECU reset that needs done? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Taelrin posted:

I'll give this a shot, it's mostly third hand information so it may be a total flop.

I've got a friend with an '03 Jeep Wrangler. The original I4 in it blew up so they put in a new one. That's where the problems started. Engine went in fine went to start it and the typical hard starting/bad idle/eventual dying of a mistimed engine. Retime it? Same thing. They used the old ECU so perhaps there's some sort of ECU reset that needs done? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Have you tried disconnecting the battery completely and then turning the key? After you do this hook the battery back up and try starting it. If thats a no go, try pulling codes.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 10, 2010

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Just got a P0700 code on my 2003 WJ Limited. The barely noticeable difference is when I try moving the shifter, it's kinda harder to push. Though if I press the brake pedal a bit harder, nothing seems to be wrong when shifting from D into R and vice versa. Everything else seems to be fine. Is this a sign of impending doom for the transmission or what? Should I have the dealer look at this right now, or can it wait?

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 10, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

awesome-express posted:

Just got a P0700 code on my 2003 WJ Limited. The barely noticeable difference is when I try moving the shifter, it's kinda harder to push. Though if I press the brake pedal a bit harder, nothing seems to be wrong when shifting from D into R and vice versa. Everything else seems to be fine. Is this a sign of impending doom for the transmission or what? Should I have the dealer look at this right now, or can it wait?

You'll need to have the TCM scanned.

quote:

P0700 (M)

Check Transmission DTC's

This code indicates that the EATX (Transmission controller) has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a BUS message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via a DRBIII tool. (Input or Output Speed Sensor failures often cause this code and are a common failure part on WJ Grand Cherokees).

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Sorry if I sound stupid or something, but how do I go about doing that?

I've got an OBDII cable if that helps :v:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

awesome-express posted:

I believe the dealer is the only one with that tool.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Jesus christ. Took my jeep in to a shop to have the steering pump replaced with a new one I've had laying around. Shop tells me the jeep is idling weird because of a "loose intake gasket." I ask them to tighten it down and replace the pump, apparently that's $650 worth of work?

What the gently caress?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

awesome-express posted:

Either a transmission shop or the dealer will have the correct scan tool.

Boomerjinks posted:

Jesus christ. Took my jeep in to a shop to have the steering pump replaced with a new one I've had laying around. Shop tells me the jeep is idling weird because of a "loose intake gasket." I ask them to tighten it down and replace the pump, apparently that's $650 worth of work?

What the gently caress?

While the intake bolts can be a certified pain in the rear end to get to, I don't see how they could have charged that much for labor.

Suicide Machine
May 22, 2005
I'm a masochist, so I thought I'd buy a second Jeep to supplement my '05 Rubicon.

It's a 1972 Commando C104 with a 258 and a 3-speed. I'm not familiar with these at all, but it seems to have a spring over lift to fit 30x9.5R15s. It has no power brakes, no power steering, no power windows, no power locks, and no power. I have yet to drive a vehicle that even remotely compares in fun factor. Forgive my lovely cellphone picture.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That is pretty loving awesome. Congratulations. The 99 XJ I've had for a month makes me want one of those Commanche pickups but they are pretty much all rusted out.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Gorgeous

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm insanely jealous. That's gorgeous.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Those are only 30s? Truck makes them look huge. I've only ever seen one of those in person in my whole life. Congrats.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
That looks really low for being SOA, are the springs flat?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
What do I need to know about buying hard tops? I heard one kind of top can fit many but I think only the year matters? Not sure. I got a 2002 Sahara wrangler and I found this dude with a couple just lying around. Going to bring it over tomorrow to see if it fits since he doesn't know much either. We're just a bunch of uneducated wrangler owners drat.

Also what's a fair price?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Veeb0rg posted:

While the intake bolts can be a certified pain in the rear end to get to, I don't see how they could have charged that much for labor.

Apparently the phone crackled while he was giving me the price, guy only charged me $90. So it turns out the place I picked because it had a reputation for being a great deal and doing terrific work was a great deal and did terrific work!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tipme posted:

What do I need to know about buying hard tops? I heard one kind of top can fit many but I think only the year matters? Not sure. I got a 2002 Sahara wrangler and I found this dude with a couple just lying around. Going to bring it over tomorrow to see if it fits since he doesn't know much either. We're just a bunch of uneducated wrangler owners drat.

Also what's a fair price?

If your Jeep didn't come wired for a hardtop, you'll need to buy the correct wiring harness for the top; otherwise, the rear wiper and defroster are useless.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
So I have a WJ, and recently I had an oil change dude tell me that my rear mail seal is juuuuust beginning to seep out just a tiny bit of oil. It wasn't enough to actualy "drip" and my engine still was 100% full of oil after about 4000 miles so it's in its infancy now.

I did want to ask you guys though, how long do these things usually take to get to the point where it needs replacing? My WJ is unique in that it actually has the 4.0L I6 engine that's so famous in Jeep circles and I seem to recall people mentioning this issue with older Cherokees. My WJ is pushing 95K miles right now.

Any general info on this?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

VH4Ever posted:

So I have a WJ, and recently I had an oil change dude tell me that my rear mail seal is juuuuust beginning to seep out just a tiny bit of oil. It wasn't enough to actualy "drip" and my engine still was 100% full of oil after about 4000 miles so it's in its infancy now.

I did want to ask you guys though, how long do these things usually take to get to the point where it needs replacing? My WJ is unique in that it actually has the 4.0L I6 engine that's so famous in Jeep circles and I seem to recall people mentioning this issue with older Cherokees. My WJ is pushing 95K miles right now.

Jeeps are self lubricating, ignore it. My WJ had a slight (but dripping) leak when I got it at 89k, it went away after about 15k, is at 140 now and still fine.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

VH4Ever posted:

I have a 4.0 as well, with the same slight rear seal leak. I have yet to replace mine because of :effort:, but my understanding is that the rear seal is a two-piece seal that you can change just by removing the oil pan. I even found a guide with some pictures: http://www.jeepin.com/features/rearmain/

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
My YJ's been marking its territory since I got it at 97k. 155k now, and it's about the same.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
As they get older the Jeep understands the need to begin self-lubricating it's chassis. This prevents rust.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

trouser chili posted:

As they get older the Jeep understands the need to begin self-lubricating it's chassis. This prevents rust.

I would be very wary of a Jeep that didn't have an oil leak somewhere.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Doctor Zero posted:

Hahaha, these responses are great so far. Yeah, I sort of brushed it off myself but I did want to run it by the experts before I quit worrying entirely. I might be driving a posermobile of a Jeep but it at least has the engine and tranny of a Jeep warrior and they do have their own specific way of aging gracefully don't they?

I can't wait to see what's in store for me when I finally realize my long-held desire of buying a late 80s-early 90s Grand Wagoneer. Woo hoo.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
My 4.0 Cherokee does the same thing. I can always see a little bubble of oil just hanging there, but there's never a drop on the ground. 125k miles and still going strong.

But yeah, you should only have to worry if something's not leaking. As long as it's leaking, it still has fluid.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

sanchez posted:

Jeeps are self lubricating, ignore it. My WJ had a slight (but dripping) leak when I got it at 89k, it went away after about 15k, is at 140 now and still fine.

My XJ did the exact same thing. Had it looked at to see how bad the leak was (not bad) and it seems to have gone away. Not even a drip in the driveway anymore.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

You can always spot people new to the world of Land Rovers when they look at part supplier adverts and ask "Why would they sell just the rear half of the chassis?"

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh god, don't start it. It's must be out of oil!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

VH4Ever posted:

I can't wait to see what's in store for me when I finally realize my long-held desire of buying a late 80s-early 90s Grand Wagoneer. Woo hoo.

$2,500 engine rebuild and a six month wait to get a good nickel-plated timing cover and oil filter adapter from Bulltear because your found the rear main bearings wiped to copper.

Seriously, be careful with the AMC v8. I love the engine, but if they've been running low oil pressure for long they'll eat the main bearings, starting from back to front. Oil pressure is often low because of several factors.

Number one is the oil pump cavity itself is made of aluminum. There are two gears that spin inside the cavity, transporting oil around the outside of the gears along the pump cavity face. That face gets scored up easily, being that it's made of aluminum. Once scored, oil pressure is lost.

Another source of lost oil pressure is the oil filter adapter. The gears also ride along the face of the oil filter adapter, it's also made of aluminum.

Another problem with the oiling system is again in the oil filter adapter. The filter adapter has a faulty oil filter bypass, which can allow poo poo into the oil pump, which scores the walls of the oil pump cavity.

The final problem is that the motor just doesn't oil the rear main bearings very well. Oil doesn't get back there.

First fix is a nickel-plated timing cover from bulltear.com. Oh, did I forget to mention the oil pump is cast into the timing cover? Ok well the oil pump cavity is cast into the timing cover. Anyway the guy is meticulous, but very slow. Expect to wait and wait and wait for your timing cover. There is only one manufacturer of timing covers these days and they're often poorly made. This guy at bulltear gets them, inspects them, corrects them if needed/possible and then nickel-plates them for durability.

Second fix is a nickel-plated oil filter adapter again from bulltear. You can order this together with a timing cover. I also highly suggest their "HRC" oil pump gears, they fix a problem with the oil pump gears that causes them to flex under load, which also causes scoring of the oil pump cavity.

The final problem can be remedied with a mod one can perform only during a rebuild. I've done it on my 401 during it's rebuild. It involves tapping two holes in the lifter vally and a line run from one to the other. This transports high pressure oil from the front of the engine to the rear.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

trouser chili posted:

$2,500 engine rebuild and a six month wait to get a good nickel-plated timing cover and oil filter adapter from Bulltear because your found the rear main bearings wiped to copper.

Seriously, be careful with the AMC v8. I love the engine, but if they've been running low oil pressure for long they'll eat the main bearings, starting from back to front. Oil pressure is often low because of several factors.

Number one is the oil pump cavity itself is made of aluminum. There are two gears that spin inside the cavity, transporting oil around the outside of the gears along the pump cavity face. That face gets scored up easily, being that it's made of aluminum. Once scored, oil pressure is lost.

Another source of lost oil pressure is the oil filter adapter. The gears also ride along the face of the oil filter adapter, it's also made of aluminum.

Another problem with the oiling system is again in the oil filter adapter. The filter adapter has a faulty oil filter bypass, which can allow poo poo into the oil pump, which scores the walls of the oil pump cavity.

The final problem is that the motor just doesn't oil the rear main bearings very well. Oil doesn't get back there.

First fix is a nickel-plated timing cover from bulltear.com. Oh, did I forget to mention the oil pump is cast into the timing cover? Ok well the oil pump cavity is cast into the timing cover. Anyway the guy is meticulous, but very slow. Expect to wait and wait and wait for your timing cover. There is only one manufacturer of timing covers these days and they're often poorly made. This guy at bulltear gets them, inspects them, corrects them if needed/possible and then nickel-plates them for durability.

Second fix is a nickel-plated oil filter adapter again from bulltear. You can order this together with a timing cover. I also highly suggest their "HRC" oil pump gears, they fix a problem with the oil pump gears that causes them to flex under load, which also causes scoring of the oil pump cavity.

The final problem can be remedied with a mod one can perform only during a rebuild. I've done it on my 401 during it's rebuild. It involves tapping two holes in the lifter vally and a line run from one to the other. This transports high pressure oil from the front of the engine to the rear.

Guhhhhh I think my eyes went crossed! It really is a love/hate/love relationship with old Jeeps isn't it? I'm guessing no "improvements" were made to any of these old V8 engines during Chrysler's (brief) stewardship of the Wagoneer?

Honestly it almost makes me want to pick up a restored Wagoneer second-hand from somewhere like Wagonmaster.com or somewhere similar. Seeing as how I'm moving to San Antonio, TX in a few months and Wagonmaster is located in nearby Kerrville, I guess that's not an impossible scenario. Some of those Wagoneers are even converted to have fuel injection.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

VH4Ever posted:

Rear mains will always do this, like everyone's saying. Ive replaced one on a friends XJ, and its something id never want to do again (for free anyways). I have 155k on my XJ and it will drip once in awhile, but its nothing that concerns me. Also be sure that it is your rear main. Some times the valve cover will leak from the rear and drip down, giving the appearance of a rear main thats leaking.

Seriously though, its one of the biggest pains in the rear end to replace.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

VH4Ever posted:

Guhhhhh I think my eyes went crossed! It really is a love/hate/love relationship with old Jeeps isn't it? I'm guessing no "improvements" were made to any of these old V8 engines during Chrysler's (brief) stewardship of the Wagoneer?

Honestly it almost makes me want to pick up a restored Wagoneer second-hand from somewhere like Wagonmaster.com or somewhere similar. Seeing as how I'm moving to San Antonio, TX in a few months and Wagonmaster is located in nearby Kerrville, I guess that's not an impossible scenario. Some of those Wagoneers are even converted to have fuel injection.

Wagonmaster irks me because they charge waaaaay too much and are using an International Harvester name to brand their service. THIS is a Wagonmaster.

It's the Chevy Avalanche about 30 years before Chevy built it.

Anyway, you can add multipoint fuel injection to any AMC v8, Edelbrock makes it and it's a good system from what I can tell. Personally I'm very happy with an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) carb and an HEI ignition system on my 401. The drat thing screams. Edelbrock also makes aluminum heads for the AMC v8, I'd love to try them with the MPFI, but man does that take some money. Maybe someday.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What size tubing do I need to bleed my 99 Grand Cherokee brakes? 1/4"?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Doctor Zero posted:

What size tubing do I need to bleed my 99 Grand Cherokee brakes? 1/4"?

Not sure the size, but its the standard aquarium tubing you can get in any pet store.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

trouser chili posted:

Wagonmaster irks me because they charge waaaaay too much and are using an International Harvester name to brand their service. THIS is a Wagonmaster.

It's the Chevy Avalanche about 30 years before Chevy built it.

Anyway, you can add multipoint fuel injection to any AMC v8, Edelbrock makes it and it's a good system from what I can tell. Personally I'm very happy with an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) carb and an HEI ignition system on my 401. The drat thing screams. Edelbrock also makes aluminum heads for the AMC v8, I'd love to try them with the MPFI, but man does that take some money. Maybe someday.

Haha, yeah exactly the reason why I want to buy it off someone else and let THEM eat the price premium! Are there places like that but cheaper? Or do you have to do the work yourself to pay that much less?

PS I like that Wagonmaster there, never knew those existed

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Jeep People,

My 1996 XJ is making a combination of a squealing noise and grinding when steering is turned to full lock. What is wrong and what is this going to cost me?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Wamsutta posted:

Jeep People,

My 1996 XJ is making a combination of a squealing noise and grinding when steering is turned to full lock. What is wrong and what is this going to cost me?

Thanks!

Sounds like a power steering pump or other hydraulic issue.

When you turn the wheel to full stop it triggers a bypass so your power steering pump doesn't lock up (I believe it's a positive displacement pump).

I generally avoid every turning the wheel to full stop and holding it unless it can't be helped. I turn it all the way then back off a smidge.

Or I could be retarded and full of poo poo. I haven't look at one in 10+ years.