Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am watching the Raw after Bret Hart got "screwed," and I have a question about Ken Shamrock. He was billed as "The World's Most Dangerous Man," and I remember him always bringing intensity to the ring. Also, throughout 1997, he flirted with main eventer status, even facing Shawn Michaels for the title at a PPV. He also won the 1998 King of the Ring, so I would assume that Vince had something big for him.* So, why did he never rise above the Intercontinental title?

* - Yes, I realize that the King of the Ring does not make a main eventer. see: Gunn, Billy and Mabel, King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He wrestles In Japan a lot as Giant Bernard, the kayfabe son of George "Brute" Bernard. He's doing quite well for himself.

Not just "a lot", Japan is his main gig.

Twin Cinema posted:

I am watching the Raw after Bret Hart got "screwed," and I have a question about Ken Shamrock. He was billed as "The World's Most Dangerous Man," and I remember him always bringing intensity to the ring. Also, throughout 1997, he flirted with main eventer status, even facing Shawn Michaels for the title at a PPV. He also won the 1998 King of the Ring, so I would assume that Vince had something big for him.* So, why did he never rise above the Intercontinental title?

* - Yes, I realize that the King of the Ring does not make a main eventer. see: Gunn, Billy and Mabel, King.

Shamrock was entertaining but didn't have the promo ability to be a main eventer. He could do great promos in UFC but it just didn't translate to pro wrestling.

Twin Cinema posted:

You're confused on your KotR failures. Mabel got a main event run with Taker. Ken Shamrock had a great feud with The Rock. Billy Gunn, however, completely failed on his, The Rock's, and the writers' part.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 14, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WeaselWeaz posted:

You're confused on your KotR failures. Mabel got a main event run with Taker. Ken Shamrock had a great feud with The Rock. Billy Gunn, however, completely failed on his, The Rock's, and the writers' part.

That horrible Ryan Shamrock / Val Venis angle really didn't help him out, either.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

He also left to go back to MMA pretty early in his WWF career, so it's possible/probable he would have become a world champ at some point if he'd stuck around.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I think Shamrock might have gotten a short run with the title if the WWE had a brand split and two weekly primetime shows back then. But he was never above being like the 6th or 7th most popular guy on the show, so there wasn't much room for him to be a real main eventer at the time when there was just one weekly show to build around. And as others said, he was terrible at promos compared to other pro wrestlers (though he was above average at talking up a match when he was a star in MMA) and was mediocre at best as a worker.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
The Rock seemed so primed to win that KOTR too but it's not like he needed which is probably why Shamrock got it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The man had less than no charisma [negative charisma, he sucked, literally, charisma from anyone watching him - do you know how hard it is to even locate, let alone suck out the charisma from your average wrestling fan? He did it.], and his only gimmick was a lame rear end finisher that Kurt Angle made 1,000 times more dangerous in his first appearance. Ken Shamrock was the drizzling shits. Now that being said, he could easily have had a brief title run. It would have lasted two months at best and had he started it as a face he would have ended it as a heel and Vince would regret it to this day, but it was a possibility.

BJ EASY
Apr 21, 2010
I always thought Shamrock and Dan Severn should have been brought in with their roles reversed. I always thought Shamrock came off more as a kinda cocky, confident "I know all these ways to gently caress you up" dude in early UFC and Severn was more of a goofy, likable fun dude who would have ruled with a "happy go lucky until poo poo got real" gimmick. I don't even recall what was the reasoning behind Shamrock's heel turn, I just remember basically being the same character except with blue trunks instead of red.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Supreme Allah posted:

The man had less than no charisma [negative charisma, he sucked, literally, charisma from anyone watching him - do you know how hard it is to even locate, let alone suck out the charisma from your average wrestling fan? He did it.], and his only gimmick was a lame rear end finisher that Kurt Angle made 1,000 times more dangerous in his first appearance. Ken Shamrock was the drizzling shits. Now that being said, he could easily have had a brief title run. It would have lasted two months at best and had he started it as a face he would have ended it as a heel and Vince would regret it to this day, but it was a possibility.

Despite all Shamrock's shortcomings, you can't say he had the worst charisma ever while, at the same period in time, Steve Blackman was out there :geno:ing it up.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Despite all Shamrock's shortcomings, you can't say he had the worst charisma ever while, at the same period in time, Steve Blackman was out there :geno:ing it up.

Ken Shamrock was legit my favorite guy in the Attitude Era. He didn't need to use the mic, he just needed to snap and murder a fucker.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
At least both could act pissed off convincingly. Not everyone can do that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dylar Addict posted:

Ken Shamrock was legit my favorite guy in the Attitude Era. He didn't need to use the mic, he just needed to snap and murder a fucker.

Behind Kane he was my second. I loved watching him belly-to-belly like 80 refs a week.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Burrito posted:

Behind Kane he was my second. I loved watching him belly-to-belly like 80 refs a week.

I still loved Wrestlemania 14 when he won the title, decided he wasn't done, and proceeded to murder everyone until they took the belt away

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Burrito posted:

That and the constant internal bleeding during matches. I loved Shamrock, everything about him. He looked like a badass, acted like a badass, everything about him just screamed badass.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Shamrock is a guy who basically only had charisma and a reputation in WWE. He was an OK worker, but the guy just oozed badass. Even in UFC he was never a great talker, but he had an aura about him and was able to play off people like Tito who were giant douches and great talkers.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Ktik posted:

That and the constant internal bleeding during matches. I loved Shamrock, everything about him. He looked like a badass, acted like a badass, everything about him just screamed badass.

Plus he whipped out a fantastic hurricanrana

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i remember when i saw shamrock as a kid they hyped up that he was a hardcore cagefighter from ufc. ufc was still in its infancy so i went to my local rental store and rented one show with him on the cover. i didnt understand what was going on, why pinfalls werent being counted, and thought the whole thing was stupid and the worst $2 i spent.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Wheres the wh2k thread for the pre-conceived notions / common ideas in wrestling? Like Jack Evans will always win a dance off (except in El Generico's match) and when the bell goes, Delirious goes apeshit...

Or will I now need an archives account?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Dylar Addict posted:

Ax and I are the same person? :psypop:

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

The A-Team Van posted:

I am The A-Team Van?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I think I would agree with what everyone has said here. Looking at the champions during Shamrock's tenure with the company, it was always given to guys who could make a claim to being the top few guys in the company. I have been watching a few Raws from 1997, and I have just been impressed by Shamrock. As people have said, he looked like a legit badass. And, the few promos I have seen from him have not been terrible. No one is going to confuse him with The Rock though.

I also found it funny that in another Raw from this year they were promoting UFC. They had a bunch of footage of Shamrock pummeling guys in UFC, and talked about how it was a misunderstood sport.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Twin Cinema posted:

No one is going to confuse him with The Rock though.

Yeah, Shamrock can throw a punch without mule-kicking and twisting his whole torso around.

e: I don't really even want to start that argument again. I have a problem.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2010

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pneub posted:

Yeah, Shamrock can throw a punch without mule-kicking and twisting his whole torso around.

Looking at your hand does make your next punch harder. Try it.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Burrito posted:

Looking at your hand does make your next punch harder. Try it.
So that's why Booker T did that for

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The Rock wiggling his leg before he kicked a dude owned.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

The A-Team Van posted:

Yo, A-Team movie ruled. I was disappointed by the lack of Van however.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

ultimateforce posted:

The Rock wiggling his leg before he kicked a dude owned.

I preferred when he did the wiggle before every stop

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The A-Team Van posted:

Were you also outraged when the WM 14 decision was reversed. I wanted Shamrock to beat the Rock for the IC title so bad back then.

DemolitionDestroyer
Aug 5, 2006

I am dead.
While I was in the state between waking up and actually getting out of bed, I pondered this question: If a currently employed, low-end midcarder like Yoshi Tatsu or Luke Gallows were to die by accident (and, for the sake of argument, it's non-drug-related and outside the ring), do you think the WWE would devote a two hour tribute show to them a la Benoit, Eddie, etc.? For some reason I don't think they would.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

DemolitionDestroyer posted:

While I was in the state between waking up and actually getting out of bed, I pondered this question: If a currently employed, low-end midcarder like Yoshi Tatsu or Luke Gallows were to die by accident (and, for the sake of argument, it's non-drug-related and outside the ring), do you think the WWE would devote a two hour tribute show to them a la Benoit, Eddie, etc.? For some reason I don't think they would.

I doubt that very would devote that much time to someone that wasn't in the WWE for that long. They'll probably give them a short ten second graphic at the start or end of the show though.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Does anyone else just not get the same feeling from modern WWE as they did from the attitude era? I mean obviously they are two totally different era's with totally different tones, but there's something that I can't put my finger on not just from the attitude era but really anything before it that is missing in WWE now. When I watch older wrestling I'm actually engrossed in the story to the point where I can suspend my disbelief but when I watch contemporary WWE programming, the whole time I think of it outside of kayfabe.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Punk would later cut a promo about how Gallows wasn't Straight Edge enough :colbert:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

They would get a ten bell salute, like Pillman got.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Gobbledygooker posted:

What are some of the best PPVs in the last 10 years?

A bit late to this one, but Backlash '07 is often overlooked in these discussions. It's a six-match card right after making the PPVs tri-branded, 5 of the matches being good (yes, even the women's match is PPV-worthy) and the sixth depending on how much you enjoy crazy doo-rag Vince antics. Cena/HBK/Edge/Orton in particular is the best one-fall fourway I can think of.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

Were you also outraged when the WM 14 decision was reversed. I wanted Shamrock to beat the Rock for the IC title so bad back then.

It was mixed for me.

On one hand, Shamrock lost the title.

On the other hand, Shamrock murdered God that night

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rock retaining the title was made more awesome by the fact that after they reversed the decision, the belt is returned to him while he's on the stretcher and he raises the belt in defiance like a dick. WM 14 is what sold me on the Rock, and then of course there was "The Rock thinks you should fire him, Vince".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Have Generico and Delirious ever either feuded or tagged together, and if so, were the promos amazing?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Dylar Addict posted:

It was mixed for me.

On one hand, Shamrock lost the title.

On the other hand, Shamrock murdered God that night

Over The Edge '98 had the perfect promotional poster for the PPV. It had a close up of Ken Shamrock's "I'm gonna murder everyone in the building" look. I thought it suited the name perfectly and its funny because he wasn't anywhere near the main event for it either or at all at that point.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Does anyone else just not get the same feeling from modern WWE as they did from the attitude era? I mean obviously they are two totally different era's with totally different tones, but there's something that I can't put my finger on not just from the attitude era but really anything before it that is missing in WWE now. When I watch older wrestling I'm actually engrossed in the story to the point where I can suspend my disbelief but when I watch contemporary WWE programming, the whole time I think of it outside of kayfabe.

I blame the transition effects they use between scenes rather than the jump cuts. Back then it was still being produced like a wrestling show, rather than today where it is written mostly by TV writers to be as much like a regular TV show as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burrito posted:

Have Generico and Delirious ever either feuded or tagged together, and if so, were the promos amazing?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sa0r_el-generico-vs-delirious-pt1_extreme
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sa96_el-generico-vs-delirious-pt-2

This match was good, at least.