Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Saint Septimus posted:

Metal Warriors most likely.

That's exactly it, thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Some stupid children's game where you are in a very interactive castle. I remember random stupid things like some painting on the top floor you could fill in and some room with a toy train. It had to be on Windows 95 or earlier from what I remember. There were also alot of secret passages and the colors and graphics were surprisingly bright and vivid, although cartoony, for the time.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
It was a very simplistic game where you get dealt special cards that you have to use to either build up your castle or destroy the opponent's castle. Looks extremely close to this: http://www.kongregate.com/games/m0rkeulv/castle-wars-2

I'm not positive but I think the one I want involved ants.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Nastyman posted:

It was a very simplistic game where you get dealt special cards that you have to use to either build up your castle or destroy the opponent's castle. Looks extremely close to this: http://www.kongregate.com/games/m0rkeulv/castle-wars-2

I'm not positive but I think the one I want involved ants.

Arcomage, originally part of Might and Magic 7, eventually developed into its own title.

LuftWaffle
Oct 19, 2002

by XyloJW
Back in around 1998-1999 or so I had this 3rd person shooter game that I loved playing, but can't remember it for the life of me..

Third person, full polygonal 3D, modern-era military shooter, I remember some pretty varied environments like jungles and snow areas, and I also remember one of the selling points of the game was the night vision goggles effect that looked pretty cool. It had dynamicish lights from things like grenades (it used vertex lighting IIRC so the dynamic lights would have that weird effect where the shape of the lighted area was affected by the polygons on the ground). For some reason I remember that their main way to put lights and stuff in the jungle were those portable gas-generator driven lights. There were vehicles you could kill but you couldn't drive any. I specifically remember missions to do things like blow up SCUD launchers and blow up jets on a tarmac in the snow.

I feel like there may have been an expansion pack or a sequel to it but I'm not sure. The main reason I want to know what this game was is because I remember playing the hell out of it but so much of the details about it escape me.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

LuftWaffle posted:

Back in around 1998-1999 or so I had this 3rd person shooter game that I loved playing, but can't remember it for the life of me..

Third person, full polygonal 3D, modern-era military shooter, I remember some pretty varied environments like jungles and snow areas, and I also remember one of the selling points of the game was the night vision goggles effect that looked pretty cool. It had dynamicish lights from things like grenades (it used vertex lighting IIRC so the dynamic lights would have that weird effect where the shape of the lighted area was affected by the polygons on the ground). For some reason I remember that their main way to put lights and stuff in the jungle were those portable gas-generator driven lights. There were vehicles you could kill but you couldn't drive any. I specifically remember missions to do things like blow up SCUD launchers and blow up jets on a tarmac in the snow.

I feel like there may have been an expansion pack or a sequel to it but I'm not sure. The main reason I want to know what this game was is because I remember playing the hell out of it but so much of the details about it escape me.

You aren't talking about the Spec Ops games are you?

Christ were those terrible but I played the gently caress out of them anyway.

LuftWaffle
Oct 19, 2002

by XyloJW

That Awful Nick posted:

You aren't talking about the Spec Ops games are you?

Christ were those terrible but I played the gently caress out of them anyway.
Hah hmm that may have been it, I played the PC version so it didn't look quite that abysmal but that does look familiar. I'll have to check out some videos when I get home from work. Thanks!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Kammat posted:

Arcomage, originally part of Might and Magic 7, eventually developed into its own title.

Nope, not that one (though I'll probably pick this up just for the variety). The one I'm talking about was pretty simplistic in art style.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010
Was having a discussion about a game at work and I couldn't remember the name of the game for the life of me. For the SNES.

Its about a kid in a lettermen jacket and like monsters or aliens invade the town. Your girlfriend gets kidnapped and you have to go save her. You start out with a pistol and eventually get a shotgun. I remember the end being that your parents are actually the end boss and you have to fight them.

Silius fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 11, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Tomahawk posted:

Some stupid children's game where you are in a very interactive castle. I remember random stupid things like some painting on the top floor you could fill in and some room with a toy train. It had to be on Windows 95 or earlier from what I remember. There were also alot of secret passages and the colors and graphics were surprisingly bright and vivid, although cartoony, for the time.

This might be Foo Castle. Very difficult to find any information about this game online at all, but Amazon has some used copies available: http://www.amazon.com/Foo-Castle/dp/B000MQABS8

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I saw a video of an upcoming game and I cannot remember what the title was. The thing I remember most from the video is that it's coop and one player's perks will help another player. The example I saw in the video is if one player cloaks and his friends are nearby, they will cloak too. I think it was a third person shooter of some type. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Rollersnake posted:

This might be Foo Castle. Very difficult to find any information about this game online at all, but Amazon has some used copies available: http://www.amazon.com/Foo-Castle/dp/B000MQABS8

Nah, the graphics looked alot better than that.

edit: Found it, I believe it is Scooter's Magic Castle

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!
After obsessing over Manufactoria for most of an hour, it made me remember a similar game that was incredibly popular here about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a PC game but could have easily been done in Flash, and involved bouncing lasers off mirrors and prisms and through various gizmos so they'd change colors and hit all of the correct targets in the level.

The name that is stuck in my head for this is something like Chronamaton but nothing I search for brings it up. :( It was a very lightweight game and I think had a paid version with a bazillion levels, but I could be wrong on the last part.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to remember the name of a game, where you ran a pizza joint, and could do various pizza related tasks, such as delivering pizza on a moped (in like an overhead frogger kind of view) as well as make pizzas (kind of building engines in Street Rod) and for some reason there were towers of hanoi puzzles, and you'd have to delivery to various customers, and when you arrived at their door you went through a short text based sequence, and it would be like "old jewish mom" or like drunk frat aliens??? it was pretty crazy. Anyhow any help on this would be much appreciated

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Schizo posted:

After obsessing over Manufactoria for most of an hour, it made me remember a similar game that was incredibly popular here about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a PC game but could have easily been done in Flash, and involved bouncing lasers off mirrors and prisms and through various gizmos so they'd change colors and hit all of the correct targets in the level.

The name that is stuck in my head for this is something like Chronamaton but nothing I search for brings it up. :( It was a very lightweight game and I think had a paid version with a bazillion levels, but I could be wrong on the last part.
Chromatron.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game, where you ran a pizza joint, and could do various pizza related tasks, such as delivering pizza on a moped (in like an overhead frogger kind of view) as well as make pizzas (kind of building engines in Street Rod) and for some reason there were towers of hanoi puzzles, and you'd have to delivery to various customers, and when you arrived at their door you went through a short text based sequence, and it would be like "old jewish mom" or like drunk frat aliens??? it was pretty crazy. Anyhow any help on this would be much appreciated

Pizza Tycoon, or one of its sequels?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
naw dude this poo poo was like cga graphics thanks though, pizza tycoon owns too

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've got three.

The first one is a point-and-click adventure game. I know it came off one of those ubiquitous "hundreds of shareware games!!!" cds that seemed to be everywhere in the '90s. You were a monkey in a zoo and you wanted to get back to Africa. Your first puzzle was to escape from your cell, and you had to "sneak" around to avoid the zoo "warden."

I remember one part a little ways into the demo, the warden kept patrolling back and forth doing this annoying "uh-hem" coughing noise. He did it constantly. You also randomly ran across the farm animals on their way to Bremen like two screens after you start. I know that there was a map screen that showed the zoo, all different parts of the city, and then it showed Africa way off in the distance.

The other game I know was at least part of a series. I distinctly recall there being two of them, and I'm pretty sure they were also on one of those shareware CDs. This game had really crappy graphics and they were overhead 2D. It had a very basic character creation and then you wandered the world to quest, I guess. No, it wasn't NetHack. I think it only had 256 colors available, because there weren't any complex colors on the map screen. Grass was bright lime green, water was a deep blue color, swamps were a darker green, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have any approximate dates on either of those two games besides the mid-late '90s.

The last game in my list came from around 2000 or so. This was on a freeware CD, as I recall. (God, how many hundreds of thousands of shareware or freeware CDs were there?) This one had an interesting premise. You were a generic martial arts dude standing on a pillar and you had to knock away all these things that were flying at you. The game seamlessly changed levels as far as I recall. At the higher levels, you started knocking away planets and other "cosmic-looking" poo poo. Your character also changed looks as the levels changed.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SourceElement posted:

The other game I know was at least part of a series. I distinctly recall there being two of them, and I'm pretty sure they were also on one of those shareware CDs. This game had really crappy graphics and they were overhead 2D. It had a very basic character creation and then you wandered the world to quest, I guess. No, it wasn't NetHack. I think it only had 256 colors available, because there weren't any complex colors on the map screen. Grass was bright lime green, water was a deep blue color, swamps were a darker green, etc.

Was it a Dragon Quest clone? If so, it may have been a Sword Quest(DOS, not Atari).

It may also have been an Exile game, I'm pretty sure those are common on shareware CDs.

Scrapfarmer
Jan 23, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think this came with one of the old versions of windows (I think pre win95) Pretty sure it was called something really generic like "Take One."

Nope, that's not it, if I recall correctly, it was from some bulk-games CD. It had some really cheesy sound-effects too, of bricks grinding over eachother and such.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Hopefully this isn't too generic. I remember a game--probably from the early 90s--isometric view, it seemed to revolve around going from room to room in some sort of temple. I think the main character was a gandalf-looking wizard, or maybe the title had the name 'wizard' in it. I also distinctly remember getting keys and unlocking doors. I think they keys were colored, because I distinctly remember a red key.

That's all I've got, anyone know what this was? I remember it being a lot of fun, but I only had the shareware version and wanted to play the full one.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sounds kind of like the immortal to me

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

sounds kind of like the immortal to me
good guess (I looked at some screenshots) but I'm almost certain that isn't it. the game I'm looking for looked a little more modern in terms of graphics

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
mayhaps it was the Recylcamals goon sire

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!

MMAgCh posted:

Chromatron.

THANK YOU. I don't know how I went from chroma- to chrona-. :(

boof
Jun 3, 2001
This is probably a longshot, but I'll ask anyway.. Back around the late 80s/early 90s I had a program for the PC which let you create your own text adventure games. It came with a sample text adventure game built with the engine, which had something to do with you having landed on a planet (you started near a rocket). I remember never being able to finish that sample text adventure and it used to drive me nuts as a kid. If anyone can remember the name of the program itself that let you create those text adventures that would be awesome. My googling so far has turned up something called Adventure Construction Set (ACS) and whilst that acronym sounds familiar, it looks nothing like what I am thinking of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Orzo posted:

good guess (I looked at some screenshots) but I'm almost certain that isn't it. the game I'm looking for looked a little more modern in terms of graphics

Is it Solstice? It's still crude NES graphics but you're a Gandalf-esque wizard collecting keys in a truly isometric style.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

InfectedZero posted:

Was having a discussion about a game at work and I couldn't remember the name of the game for the life of me. For the SNES.

Its about a kid in a lettermen jacket and like monsters or aliens invade the town. Your girlfriend gets kidnapped and you have to go save her. You start out with a pistol and eventually get a shotgun. I remember the end being that your parents are actually the end boss and you have to fight them.

Is this Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

Orzo posted:

Hopefully this isn't too generic. I remember a game--probably from the early 90s--isometric view, it seemed to revolve around going from room to room in some sort of temple. I think the main character was a gandalf-looking wizard, or maybe the title had the name 'wizard' in it. I also distinctly remember getting keys and unlocking doors. I think they keys were colored, because I distinctly remember a red key.

That's all I've got, anyone know what this was? I remember it being a lot of fun, but I only had the shareware version and wanted to play the full one.

Probably not right, but wizard and shareware made me think this:

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/hocus-pocus/ ?

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

boof posted:

This is probably a longshot, but I'll ask anyway.. Back around the late 80s/early 90s I had a program for the PC which let you create your own text adventure games. It came with a sample text adventure game built with the engine, which had something to do with you having landed on a planet (you started near a rocket). I remember never being able to finish that sample text adventure and it used to drive me nuts as a kid. If anyone can remember the name of the program itself that let you create those text adventures that would be awesome. My googling so far has turned up something called Adventure Construction Set (ACS) and whilst that acronym sounds familiar, it looks nothing like what I am thinking of.

AGT?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Is it Solstice? It's still crude NES graphics but you're a Gandalf-esque wizard collecting keys in a truly isometric style.
No, fast forward about 3-4 years. That game looks great though

Hoplosternum posted:

Probably not right, but wizard and shareware made me think this:

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/hocus-pocus/ ?
Haha, definitely not. It was definitely an isometric game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

HereticSenility posted:

it may have been a Sword Quest(DOS, not Atari).

I'm about 90% certain that it is, indeed, SwordQuest.

Thanks! That's been bugging the hell out of me for years.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

silsor posted:

AGT?

I think that's it! Thanks so much!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Orzo posted:

No, fast forward about 3-4 years. That game looks great though

There's a sequel called Equinox but the main character is an Arabic dude.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

Ok, noone got my first one, so *fingers crossed* for this one:

Also off a 100+ shareware/demo games cd from mid-late 90s.

The game starts with a character that can't remember who/where he is I think.

The game view is looking downwards on a sandy island and your character walks around it. I can't remember if you use the arrow keys or click the mouse for movement...

There's lots of rocky bits on the islands and a few village areas. You can go inside huts to talk to people.

Occasionally monsters that look like giant dragonflies come and attack as you're walking around. Once they're dead, they go all squashed on the ground with orange blood/goo around them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hoplosternum posted:

Ok, noone got my first one, so *fingers crossed* for this one:

Also off a 100+ shareware/demo games cd from mid-late 90s.

The game starts with a character that can't remember who/where he is I think.

The game view is looking downwards on a sandy island and your character walks around it. I can't remember if you use the arrow keys or click the mouse for movement...

There's lots of rocky bits on the islands and a few village areas. You can go inside huts to talk to people.

Occasionally monsters that look like giant dragonflies come and attack as you're walking around. Once they're dead, they go all squashed on the ground with orange blood/goo around them.

That sounds an awful lot like Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

That sounds an awful lot like Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall.

Yus! Thank you! I kept thinking it was Xenomorph, that rang a bell for some reason but. Guess I just had the morph part right. Yay!

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I remember this game on PS2 or Xbox. It was basically a graphical representation of Magic the gathering, that played like an over the shoulder action/rpg. You would walk around this little underground town, and talk to this guy for missions where you would go into these arenas. Then you could pick up orbs for offensive and defensive spells, and also mana which would all be mapped to the 4 buttons on the controller, these were all one use. Had like parabolic type spells, arcing, defensive walls and shells. Destructible environments too, could bring bridges and ceilings down on people. Had a Japanese type of character design. Thats all I remember, hopefully someone remembers the name of this game.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Traxxus posted:

I remember this game on PS2 or Xbox. It was basically a graphical representation of Magic the gathering, that played like an over the shoulder action/rpg. You would walk around this little underground town, and talk to this guy for missions where you would go into these arenas. Then you could pick up orbs for offensive and defensive spells, and also mana which would all be mapped to the 4 buttons on the controller, these were all one use. Had like parabolic type spells, arcing, defensive walls and shells. Destructible environments too, could bring bridges and ceilings down on people. Had a Japanese type of character design. Thats all I remember, hopefully someone remembers the name of this game.

Phantom Dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orzo posted:

Are you thinking of Mystic Towers, by any chance?