Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I watched Mulholland Drive for the first time about a week ago, and plan to watch it again sometime soon to get a better grip on it. Great news, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Does Sony still hold home video distribution rights to 2046?

You know, I was wondering this just today myself. I'd love for 2046 and Days of Being Wild to get a Criteron BluRay treatment and release with In the Mood for Love.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can actually import Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By from China for about :20bux: apiece. They're no Criterions, but they're pretty good discs and very English-friendly.

http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/As-Tears-Go-By-Blu-ray/3753/#Review
http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/Days-of-Being-Wild-Blu-ray/1979/#Review

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Wrong thread

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 12, 2010

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Colonel Whitey posted:

Anyone know when this is supposed to come out?
I suppose there's a chance that Lions Gate will have this for US release, but the UK release is scheduled for September 13.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003PHJLR8

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Picnic at Hanging Rock 7/26 (UK)
Cemetery Junction 8/17
Unleashed 9/14
The Secret of Kells 10/5

Some Predator screenshot comparisons:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/1947478-post146.html

Also:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having a hard time finding reviews of Platoon on blu-ray. Anyone have any opinions on it?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's an infamous case of really bad DNR, though the general consensus is that you won't notice on a screen under 40 inches. Blu-Ray.com, DVDBeaver

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's an infamous case of really bad DNR, though the general consensus is that you won't notice on a screen under 40 inches. Blu-Ray.com, DVDBeaver
Platoon != Patton :)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
DURP HURPA DUR BLURP

There is no Platoon Blu-Ray.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 12, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait...Platoon or Patton? Platoon isn't on Blu-Ray, other than a Hong Kong release that actually just came out a couple of days ago.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=10938

edit: damnit, I should really refresh the page before posting.

If you're really itching to get the film, just import, as it's likely the exact same transfer that MGM will ultimately release. Just bear in mind that it's also probably an old MPEG-2 encode.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 12, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Wait...Platoon or Patton? Platoon isn't on Blu-Ray, other than a Hong Kong release that actually just came out a couple of days ago.

The Hong Kong release is what I meant, yeah. Actually when I posted that question I didn't realize it was a Hong Kong release until a few minutes after. Sorry for the confusion. But yeah, the Vietnam war film, not the WWII film that got a horrible blu-ray transfer is what i'm talking about. :D

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

This makes me hope that some day they'll make a time-traveling war epic called Pattoon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

The Hong Kong release is what I meant, yeah. Actually when I posted that question I didn't realize it was a Hong Kong release until a few minutes after. Sorry for the confusion. But yeah, the Vietnam war film, not the WWII film that got a horrible blu-ray transfer is what i'm talking about. :D

I haven't seen any impressions since it was literally just released 2 days ago, but I'm sure some screens will pop up in a week or so.

Speaking of Asian imports, don't forget that CJ Entertainment is releasing the first US-friendly version of Thirst on the 18th. Their titles command a slight premium (about $35 each), but they've all been great transfers so far.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Keanu Grieves posted:

This makes me hope that some day they'll make a time-traveling war epic called Pattoon.

I like Platton more.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I like Platton more.
That could be the sequel.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I made a post a while back asking about Platoon but accidentally posted Patton instead. Common mistake I guess.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Other common mistakes: watching Patton.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

FirstCongoWar posted:

Other common mistakes: watching Patton.
Is this a comment on the quality of the film or the blu-ray?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Is this a comment on the quality of the film or the blu-ray?

The blu-ray itself. The film is a classic and everyone should watch it.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The blu-ray itself. The film is a classic and everyone should watch it.
Oh, I know. Patton is one of my favorite historical figures and I've seen Patton many, many times. I'm just making sure he knows.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Watching the Dracula Blu-Ray and man this looks like poo poo for a 1992 film.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Keanu Grieves posted:

Watching the Dracula Blu-Ray and man this looks like poo poo for a 1992 film.

It's kind of been lost in the DNR and EE shuffle, but Dracula is a notoriously bad transfer. It is basically the same quality as DVD iirc

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next Criterion sale at B&N is reportedly July 20.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Wrong thread, sorry!

Dracula Blu-Ray still looks terrible.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Bram Stoker's Dracula, or some different one? Because Bram Stoker's is a fine Blu-ray - it's only fault is being overly dark, and there are those in the industry that defend it up and down saying it matches FFC's answer print and is exactly how the film is supposed to look.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula, or some different one? Because Bram Stoker's is a fine Blu-ray - it's only fault is being overly dark, and there are those in the industry that defend it up and down saying it matches FFC's answer print and is exactly how the film is supposed to look.
We must've watched different Blu-Rays -- it looks like an unmastered print from the 1970s. The coloration is weak, the picture is overly grainy (like, not as a stylistic choice; the film just looks old), there's no pop to the matte work...just terrible.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Keanu Grieves posted:

We must've watched different Blu-Rays -- it looks like an unmastered print from the 1970s. The coloration is weak, the picture is overly grainy (like, not as a stylistic choice; the film just looks old), there's no pop to the matte work...just terrible.

I'm not sure what you're expecting out of it ("overly grainy" and "no pop" confuse me a bit), so I'm not sure exactly what to say to you. Is it a stunning picture that goes "Wow, so THIS is why I buy Blu-ray"? No. But it looks like film, it doesn't have EE or DNR, the print is not dirty and scratched, and there is a level of detail significantly above DVD quality. Really, the only controversial aspect of it is how dark it is. And even that is really a non-story as Coppola and Zoetrope supervised the mastering - so any complaints about the darkness must fall at their feet instead of Sony's Blu-ray department.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 13, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I'm not sure what you're expecting out of it ("overly grainy" and "no pop" confuse me a bit), so I'm not sure exactly what to say to you. Is it a stunning picture that goes "Wow, so THIS is why I buy Blu-ray"? No. But it looks like film, it doesn't have EE or DNR, the print is not dirty and scratched, and there is a level of detail significantly above DVD quality. Really, the only controversial aspect of it is how dark it is. And even that is really a non-story as Coppola and Zoetrope supervised the mastering - so any complaints about the darkness must fall at their feet instead of Sony's Blu-ray department.
For example, as Harker's carriage approaches the castle, there's a never-ending fountain of concentric blue flame rings. It was just so dull, lifeless and unimpressive. It's not the darkness that's in question; it's the color saturation. Dracula would be fine if it were a film from 1976, but it's from 1992. There's no reason for such a careless treatment.

About the grain: I love grain -- love-love-love it - but this grain is inconsistent from shot to sot, as if the source reels weren't mastered to have a consistent look.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Anchorman 8/31

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Bambi posted:

Anchorman 8/31

I'm guessing the answer is "no," but are there any plans to include the separate movie that was compiled from cut footage from the film as an extra on the Blu-ray? I haven't seen it despite enjoying Anchorman, and the other film (which was sold as an extra disc in a still-expensive two-pack) goes for upwards of $20 by itself on Amazon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I decided to sell some of my HD-DVD imports and found out that Les Triplettes De Belleville is apparently super rare and going for over $100.

The dead format that keeps on giving :)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dracula isn't even filmlike (which is just an empty buzzword to calm down people expecting reference quality from every release), it's just poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

theradiostillsucks posted:

I'm guessing the answer is "no," but are there any plans to include the separate movie that was compiled from cut footage from the film as an extra on the Blu-ray? I haven't seen it despite enjoying Anchorman, and the other film (which was sold as an extra disc in a still-expensive two-pack) goes for upwards of $20 by itself on Amazon.

I thought it was pretty terrible, so you're not missing much. I also didn't realize it was remotely valuable so when I put it for sale on Amazon for $5 I was amazed to see it sell within minutes of putting it up. Oh well.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Medullah posted:

I thought it was pretty terrible, so you're not missing much. I also didn't realize it was remotely valuable so when I put it for sale on Amazon for $5 I was amazed to see it sell within minutes of putting it up. Oh well.

To be honest, I'm not expecting comedy gold from it, but in my experience the deleted scenes from comedies are often as funny as if not funnier than the movies themselves (see: Step Brothers, the first Harold & Kumar, etc.), and with the disc space Blu-ray provides, it would seem a natural fit as a bonus feature, though I'm sure Universal will do what they do best and port the existing transfer and bonus features from the HD DVD with no extra effort spent.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Another mind blown by War of the Worlds...

Seriously, best sound design of the last ten years.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

theradiostillsucks posted:

To be honest, I'm not expecting comedy gold from it, but in my experience the deleted scenes from comedies are often as funny as if not funnier than the movies themselves (see: Step Brothers, the first Harold & Kumar, etc.), and with the disc space Blu-ray provides, it would seem a natural fit as a bonus feature, though I'm sure Universal will do what they do best and port the existing transfer and bonus features from the HD DVD with no extra effort spent.

Anchorman was Paramount...so expect the same exact thing you would have from Universal.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The UK is getting Cronos and The Devil's Backbone in September courtesy of Optimum.

In Bruges, Alpha Dog and Assault on Precinct 13 are available a month early (starting tomorrow) exclusively at Best Buy.

Harry Brown is getting a US release 8/31.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I watched the Masters of Cinema release of M. Its amazing how good it looks for such an old film. The film itself is an interesting social commentary of the hunt for an child murderer and what may or may not happen if that person is caught. I highly recommend it. Judging by the DVDBeaver review, the Criterion release looks even better.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/m.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Three Kings 8/12

• Locked thread