Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

FirstAidKite posted:

To any of you who have experience modding the game: I've been messing around with UnrealEd. I've learned how to import and change the music and import textures but how do I reskin jc denton? I haven't been able to find much help with google.
That's because it is the forbidden act. You should never want to re-skin JC, unless you're a terrorist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I had to refer to The Nameless Mod's walkthrough a few times, because it's often not clear what you should be doing: http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/Walkthrough. Just search the document for your topic to avoid spoiling it too much.

I only came here after consulting their walkthrough. I turned out to be about 90° off from where I needed to be, their walkthrough didn't actually say WHICH of the two walls.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

IanCaw posted:

I only came here after consulting their walkthrough. I turned out to be about 90° off from where I needed to be, their walkthrough didn't actually say WHICH of the two walls.

I only found it (last week) after scouring downtown for half an hour, assuming it was on the freestanding buildings, and then resorting to that walkthrough. Not the most polished mod, perhaps.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I only found it (last week) after scouring downtown for half an hour, assuming it was on the freestanding buildings, and then resorting to that walkthrough. Not the most polished mod, perhaps.

What a shame.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, I've been having problems figuring out how to get through this game. It's often really unclear where exactly you have to go or what you have to do. This is often the problem with mods for big games, and makes you appreciate how hard the Deus Ex design team must've worked to push you in the right direction. I can remember being lost once or twice in the original game, but TNM takes this to a ridiculous level.

Some guy recommended Vampire: Bloodlines to me, though, so I probably won't get back to it until I finish this one (holy hell that game is awesome -- how did I miss this when it came out?).

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Some guy recommended Vampire: Bloodlines to me, though, so I probably won't get back to it until I finish this one (holy hell that game is awesome -- how did I miss this when it came out?).

It was released 1/3 finished and is borderline unplayable without a fan patch that's in its 700th version or something insane like that.

But yeah, it owns once you smooth over the cracks. :)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

One of these days I'll bother to finish VtM Bloodlines. The writing and some of the design were quite cool, though I still never got used to all the World of Darkness silliness.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fnoigy posted:

That's because it is the forbidden act. You should never want to re-skin JC, unless you're a terrorist.

There's no easy way to reskin JC Denton after all is there.

I was planning on replacing the black-jc-denton texture with a new texture I made but I just wasn't having any luck figuring out how. If there's no easy way to then I'd might as well drop it.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

FirstAidKite posted:

There's no easy way to reskin JC Denton after all is there.

I was planning on replacing the black-jc-denton texture with a new texture I made but I just wasn't having any luck figuring out how. If there's no easy way to then I'd might as well drop it.

Racist. Why not at least replace the ginger one that nobody ever uses?

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 19, 2011

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

orange lime posted:

Racist. Why not at least replace the ginger one that nobody ever uses?

I was gonna replace the skin with another black man texture

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DVD Drive posted:

Seems like you must miss a lot of stuff in the Goat City if you side with the Llamas.

Every time I get curious about TNM I read posts like this. :(

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Willie Tomg posted:

The gameplay's worth it, as long as you're willing to ignore the Internet Humor at the beginning and end.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Willie Tomg posted:

Just ignore it. I put off playing the thing for ages because the internet humor sounded lame as hell but it's pretty easy to ignore when you're playing through what is the closest thing available to more Deus Ex.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Astroturf Man posted:

Just ignore it. I put off playing the thing for ages because the internet humor sounded lame as hell but it's pretty easy to ignore when you're playing through what is the closest thing available to more Deus Ex.

That sounds like a good enough reason to install it for me.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I dunno, I installed it, wandered around completely lost/bored for over an hour, and haven't gone back since.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
Alright, installing that fixer thing and I'm about to play for my first time :ohdear:

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Fnoigy posted:

I dunno, I installed it, wandered around completely lost/bored for over an hour, and haven't gone back since.

Yeah I found this a bit at the start too. Once I learned how the map was laid out it got better and then once I could charge at enemies and hack them to bits with the DTS all sins were forgiven.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Well drat.

( http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=110059 )

Random posted:

I was in Hong Kong for work last week and took the opportunity to scout out some Deus Ex locations.

To keep this relevant to the DX:HR forum, let me suggest that this is an ingredient of a classic game. Something that makes such a connection that locations stick on our minds a decade after the game's release, that makes seeing the real locations the game was based on such an awesome experience. It's a big ask, but if Eidos can make something memorable like this, they will have done their jobs.

Wan Chai police station :thumb:

This was cool. Just up the road from the police station was this news stand :cool: Didn't notice any annoying little boys around though

Up this direction a bit is Canal Rd which leads to the cross harbour tunnel, the collapsed bit in Deus Ex where those scientists have been eaten by karkians. I went through there one night.

Tonnochy :cool: There's a Porsche dealership right behind this sign, quite a few of them on the streets.

Tonnochy Rd :cool: Took this about half way along. It also extends further the other way, but it's not very interesting up that way, just a sports ground next door. This is the business end.

Maggie Chow's building was 1313 Tonnochi Rd, so the green sign here was very cool. Not quite right (and the wrong road name), but in about the right place

There's no Queen's Tower here (Chow's building), but there is a King's Hotel. Right next door is Kwan Chart Tower, so kinda similar :cool:

On the opposite side are these apartments, in just the right place to be Jock's :thumb:

Up a side street, Club Tonnochy is on the corner

This was awesome. Alongside Kwan Chart Tower (about where Queen's Tower is in DX) was this alleyway that leads around to some elevators at the back, just like in the game :cool: Also note the security camera in about the same spot too :thumb:

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 19, 2011

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

DVD Drive posted:

Haha, yea, don't listen to people who try to say the internet humor isn't that bad or noticeable. It is. Still, the mod has a lot of effort into it. I'm playing through it because I just beat DX again and was still in the mood for more DX gameplay.

It feels almost like they started off making a dumb in-joke game, then it got big and complicated enough that they realised it was a dumb idea to make something that masturbationary, but didn't want to change what they'd already made. It's like someone painting with dogshit: It may be a good painting, but it's still made out of dogshit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

It may be a good painting, but it's still made out of dogshit.

Technically, that makes it Art™.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Man it's been so long since I played this.

Like seriously 4 years. I've forgotten some basic poo poo here.

Man, like those loving MJ12 agents? They blow up!

LSD
Oct 20, 2008

by Ozma
I finally got past the first level and I'm liking the game a lot. Best quote so far

"The NFS are allied with the mole people?"

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

It feels almost like they started off making a dumb in-joke game, then it got big and complicated enough that they realised it was a dumb idea to make something that masturbationary, but didn't want to change what they'd already made. It's like someone painting with dogshit: It may be a good painting, but it's still made out of dogshit.
Makes me wonder if one could de-gayify the thing by changing text in the mod to something real if you know what I mean. TNM(NG).

e: ive never played it, cant bring myself to

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 16, 2010

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just want someone to make a mod that redoes the maps so you don't have to load over and over in the same level :(

s0beit
Sep 23, 2008
I WISH GRANDMA HAD DIED SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO TALK TO LIBERALS
Don't know if anybody has seen it but they interviewed the makers of the new Deus Ex game at e3 today, i will try to find some footage when it becomes available.

edit: I didn't see the thread already for it, sorry for derail.

s0beit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 16, 2010

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
You don't have to, it was the trailer plus two team members (Dugas and a dude I don't know) talking about stuff that's been known forever now. Shooter + RPG (I think he used "Action RPG" too), cover system, customizing yourself with upgrades were the basics. And IGN did a bad job at audio levels - it was a francophone accent with the trailer's :words: on top of that so you couldn't make out poo poo.

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

I hope he posted those pictures in the Shenmue 2 thread as well. :colbert:

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

It's like someone painting with dogshit: It may be a good painting, but it's still made out of dogshit.

I think that's harsh. The high quality of the mapping and missions more than make up for the fanfic and clownsuits. Also, Trestkon is way better acted than JC Denton. Prove me wrong.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

gwynster posted:

Also, Trestkon is way better acted than JC Denton.
what

whaaaaaaaat

JC's voice is one of video gaming's crowning achievements.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Tecman posted:

You don't have to, it was the trailer plus two team members (Dugas and a dude I don't know) talking about stuff that's been known forever now. Shooter + RPG (I think he used "Action RPG" too), cover system, customizing yourself with upgrades were the basics. And IGN did a bad job at audio levels - it was a francophone accent with the trailer's :words: on top of that so you couldn't make out poo poo.

"well, thank gently caress the trailer ended so we can actually hear what they're saying"

*trailer restarts 10 seconds later*

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK"

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

gwynster posted:

Trestkon is way better acted than JC Denton.

You have shamed the family.

What. a. shame.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
I just stole all that zyme for the drug dealer in Paris, and even saved all the zyme from since the beginning of the game, and now he won't talk to me. :( Oh well, at least I got to say "Maybe you should try getting a job" to Cassandra in la Porte de l'enfer.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Ha. I ran into the exact same problem.

Are you using shifter+biomod too?

I even tried chopping up the chair he's sitting on - but he just sedately walks over to another chair. If I chop all those up too - he sedately meanders up the stairs and sits on the couch in one of the hotel rooms.

Chop that and he heads back to the main room and wanders around.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
Haha I broke his chair too. But I'm not using Shifter or Biomod, just plain Deus Ex. I think he might have been alarmed by something, because when I returned to the hostel everyone was walking around and some were outside, as if they had been in panic mode and had just calmed down. I can't remember what would have caused that. Maybe I shot someone last time I was there. Oops V:shobon:V

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I was just in VersaLife labs where you see Chow and Page talk. However, through some quickloading and quicksaving, I accidentally messed them up so they won't talk and won't proceed as they usually do. Curious, I jumped up to the window...

...only to have Chow suddenly initiate her first conversation with me, which I never ended up having before. Half the talk was spent with the camera somewhere inside of Denton's chin, looking into his invisible hollow head at his back collar.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

gwynster posted:

The high quality of the mapping and missions more than make up for the fanfic and clownsuits.
Ah... no. TNM has some really bad maps for Deus Ex style play that usually offer two approaches at best.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
So I'm replaying this for the first time in probably 9 years and I've just arrived at the 'Ton for the first time. I just cleared out the terrorists (losing only the dude hostage) then found Paul's Blackjack on his coffee table for only using non-lethal up to this point but seeing as how I lost the one hostage I reloaded. Problem is now no matter what I do I can't seem to spawn the Blackjack back. Is this a common glitch?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would try restarting the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just a reminder that this game turns ten years old next Tuesday. Whatever you do that day, just ask yourself: what would JC do.