Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

How the heck do I learn how to craft composite shots? I want to learn the photoshop side of some of Dave Hill's latest campaign shoots, and it's all just individual shots stitched together.

Rather than just say lasso + lots of layers + lots of masks, I want to learrrrrnn.

I've been specifically looking at his MGM Wet Republic Ad shoot, in his Behind the Scenes shoot here http://www.davehillphoto.com/bts/

Please note, this isn't a "How do I Dave Hill?" post, I'm just using his as an example of a well done composite :)

Here's a bunch more I've admired over the years: http://www.v1gallery.com/artist/show/3

Sorry to pull this one up again, but I had a few comments. I did this shot with Dave Hill's Adventure Girl series in mind.

This was a photo I did on Halloween and being in geographically boring Orlando, I don't exactly have ready access to caves for awesome photo shoots. But I did have access to photos I took in a cave in Hawaii a few years ago.

I'm sure poopinmymouth would agree that the most important thing in a composite is the color tones. If you don't do a good job matching up the colors in the different shots, it's never going to look right. For this shot I did a lot of color work to the cave shot because it was much warmer and yellow as shot and when I originally edited it, I liked it that way, but for editing in the photo of me, I wanted a dark, cool, cave feel, so I pulled the levels way down and changed changed the overall coloring of the image to be much whiter/bluer.

The photo of me was taken in my garage with two lights. I had one light up high and to the left behind me, bare, and one big softbox camera right. The big thing I did which I think helps was that I actually went out and got dirty. my hands, face, arms, etc. You don't really notice it unless you really look close, but I think it helps with the shadows and overall grungyness of the shot.

To edit in the shot of me to the cave photo I went with the erasing/masking method vs lasso. With a shot like this it's a lot easier to blend it in with erasing since the cave is dark, but if you have a crisp contrasting background you probably want to lasso.

Oh and the flashlight light is also edited in to the photo because the strobe lights were considerably brighter than my mag light. I also wanted the look of an LED mag light, but mine is the old style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Maybe went a bit overboard. I know this isn't at all what you asked for but hey it's saturday night! :toot:

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

Ringo R posted:

Maybe went a bit overboard. I know this isn't at all what you asked for but hey it's saturday night! :toot:

I don't think the hair and whitening the background was too much but adding the catch lights just made me think of

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

This is a super stupid question - but is there a way to get photoshop keyboard shortcuts to "overpower" OSX shortcuts. I keep ending up triggering expose or spaces or changing my volume when trying to use the function keys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Leyendecker posted:

Augh :psyduck:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
whoops, was meant for the people thread.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 13, 2010

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Paragon8 posted:

This is a super stupid question - but is there a way to get photoshop keyboard shortcuts to "overpower" OSX shortcuts. I keep ending up triggering expose or spaces or changing my volume when trying to use the function keys.

System Preferences, Keyboard, check "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys." You'll have to then hold Fn to trigger Expose and whatnot.

Alternatively hold Fn in Photoshop to use the F-keys, but that would get a little annoying, I think.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

orange lime posted:

A very carefully hand-painted layer mask. There are tools that will automate parts of it pretty well (mess with the refine edge tools for instance), but for the highest quality in a selection like that, you're going to want to be painting in each hair individually.

VVVV You're probably right, but I'm still unable to get things masked properly with the channels. If you can put up a basic tutorial on how you'd mask that out with channels -- especially given that it's monochrome -- I'd love to see it.

Actually a combination of the two works best, start out with the channel masking then fix with drawing the mask with pen pressure on, especially great for curly hair and when there isn't much contrast in the channels.

I don't do catalog work though so no comment on that one

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Forgot how to make abs look better, found this easy to use tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRINyoIIIrg

My results:

Before

After

(Are they over done? Or do they look alright?)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

LuisX posted:

(Are they over done? Or do they look alright?)

I can't really tell much of a difference other than the fact that you lightened them up a bit. I don't think there was anything wrong with them in the 'before' shot.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I can't tell what you did either, just increased contrast?

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

I can't tell what you did either, just increased contrast?

Pretty much yes, increase darks and highlights and mask appropriately.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I didn't see a difference either.

This is a case where knowing anatomy and how to straight up paint lighting from nothing (which enables you to create details that adhere to an existing light source) come in handy.

Dodge and burn and a little high pass gives:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I forgot to mention, don't just use big rear end soft brushes when doing muscles. That only increases volume. If you want to actually make a muscle look defined, you need hard edges, black right against white. Small soft brushes are for this. I didn't really make his abs any bigger, I just made the creases between them sharper, as if his skin was thinner and shrink wrapped.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

poopinmymouth posted:

I forgot to mention, don't just use big rear end soft brushes when doing muscles. That only increases volume. If you want to actually make a muscle look defined, you need hard edges, black right against white. Small soft brushes are for this. I didn't really make his abs any bigger, I just made the creases between them sharper, as if his skin was thinner and shrink wrapped.

Thank you, much appreciated. I think the difference is that you used sharper brushes to define the muscles, whereas I used softer ones.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah I was going to say use a high-pass, then you can increase contrast (which in this case is basically sharpness since we're dealing with edges) without making his skin look like sandpaper.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Try this- use a selective color adjustment layer above and set it to luminosity. Slide the red and yellow around for contrast. If the color shifts too much desaturate the reds and yellows with a hue/saturation adjustment layer*

*actual results may vary

ass is my canvas fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 16, 2010

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

Ive been trying my hardest the last week to figure out how to accomplish this look:
http://bludomaintemplates.com/oscar/index2.php#/rgallery/1/
(there is music on that page so turn your speakers off)

Contrast is great, the color is really vivid, smooth skin, no color blotches, detail maintained...

Are there any tutorials/tips anyone knows of on where to start heading in that direction specifically the coloring? I imagine there is a gently caress-ton of painting and dodging/burning, not to mention lighting.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

rear end is my canvas posted:

Try this- use a selective color adjustment layer above and set it to luminosity. Slide the red and yellow around for contrast. If the color shifts too much desaturate the reds and yellows with a hue/saturation adjustment layer.

This plus high pass only can make existing definition pop more. If you want to truly make a person look ripped, you are often either adding new shadows or highlights that weren't present in the first place, or changing how it responds to existing details.

Contrast adjustments are fine for the end, but most fitness touchup goes in and is adding new information with brush work. For example the individual muscles on the sides of the ribcage on LouisX's model were made stronger by hooking the shadows around the insertion points. That happens on people who do tons of chinups and torso stabilization exercises. He didn't have that detail at all in the originals, so contrast and high pass won't bring it out, it was a flat gradient with no detail.

If you get into that kind of work, you can do more radical changes:

vs

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What is this guy doing in post to get this effect on his photos?

http://jonaspeterson.com/wedding/up-up-and-away/

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Anyone else having issues with Lightroom 3 being slow as gently caress? Click on an image and wait 10 seconds.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Anyone else having issues with Lightroom 3 being slow as gently caress? Click on an image and wait 10 seconds.

Lightroom 3 is slow as gently caress for me, I'm not certain if it's 10 seconds slow, but it's pretty bad. I almost pulled the trigger on an SSD today to try to make it a little bit more fun to try editing things.

Loading images is slow, importing is slow, everything takes nearly twice as long as Lightroom 2.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Shmoogy posted:

Lightroom 3 is slow as gently caress for me, I'm not certain if it's 10 seconds slow, but it's pretty bad. I almost pulled the trigger on an SSD today to try to make it a little bit more fun to try editing things.

Loading images is slow, importing is slow, everything takes nearly twice as long as Lightroom 2.

loving awesome. It's driving me nuts.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Phew, I thought it was just me.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
For me, everything is faster in LR3 than LR2.

Load folder: ~2 seconds from click to first image rendered
Click image (20MP DNG): ~1/2 second until full render
Zoom to full-res: ~1 second

It's not like minority-report kind of speed, but it's perfectly usable and pretty damned impressive considering that it's working with 30-meg RAW files.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
What system specs you guys (slow and quick, both) running with?

Windows 7 x64
quad core
4gb ram
8600gt

I'm working with 8mp raw files, there is no reason my machine should struggle with my new 800 picture catalog.

e: Could be a memory leak in the x64 version of LR3 - My friend told me he installed x32 and it runs as well as LR2.7~ for him.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 19, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Slow as gently caress for me too, but my laptop probably isn't up to snuf.
Vista 64
Core2Duo 1.4GHz
4gig RAM
GMA 4500MHD

5d2 raws

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fast as gently caress for me.

Hackintosh 10.6.4
Q6600 @2.4
16gb ram
9400GT

~40mb TIFFs and (smaller) K10D RAW files.

The best part of LR3 for me is that I can open the Export menu, select a preset without having to go make some tea while the UI updates my export settings.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Like I said, for me LR3 is fast as hell, even working with 21MP RAW files. I have:

Windows 7 x64
C2Q @ 2.5GHz
4GB of RAM
9800GTX+

and all my photos are on a dedicated HDD (just a regular SATA 7200, nothing special).

Maybe it's dependent on the graphics card? I know that Adobe is adding CUDA support and GPU acceleration to a lot of their products recently.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
LR3 seems on par with, if not just a bit slower than 2 on my rig.

Windows 7 64
Phenom x4 555
4gb RAM
Caviar Black drive

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

psylent posted:

What is this guy doing in post to get this effect on his photos?

http://jonaspeterson.com/wedding/up-up-and-away/

It looks to me, especially in the black and white photos near the top of the page that he's using (way too aggressive) high-pass sharpening techniques.

You can also somewhat tell because the bokeh in some of his photos is very contrasty, which is consistent with using a sharpening method that didn't accurately pick up on the foreground subjects and instead sharpened the entire photo.

I could definitely be wrong though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
So I had an idea that LR3 must be doing something super intense with the graphics card, that should, theoretically make things faster.

Turns out, when I went into the Nvidia Control Panel and changed all the settings for maximum performance, LR3 started performing a lot better. I'd say it's almost on par with LR2, and anything that loads slower is most likely due to the new NR/Sharpening algorithm that it appears to redraw any time I zoom in for a 1:1 preview, despite having 50GB available on the HDD for cache.

If any of you guys that are running slow, could change your graphics controller settings to force maximum performance instead of allowing applications to choose for themselves, it might help.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Speaking of Lightroom stuff, I have two questions:

1) is there a way to invert a RAW image (I photograph all my negatives) without also inverting what all the controls do? Once I've swapped the curves, the exposure control works backwards, and so does the white balance tuning, and everything else. It's tolerable but irritating.

2) Can I change what shows up in the "quick develop" bar? I would love to have a panel with just the WB, NR, and exposure in it for quick basic adjustments.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I tried the Nvidia control panel stuff - nada.

Windows Vista
Core2Duo 6400
4gig RAM
GTX 260

All files on dedicated hard drive.

I had zero problems with Lightroom 2.

EDIT: I have all my photos on an external drive. I just moved a bunch of photos to an internal drive and worked with them from there. Half of them take half the time to open now - the other half take DOUBLE the loving time to open.

EDIT #2: I decided to go back to LR2 - it now runs just as lovely as LR3 - gently caress me.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 19, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Lightroom 2 was always a dog for me Lightroom 3 is much faster almost twice as fast.

iMac 3.06ghz
2gb RAM
Geforce 8800 GS

With 18 MP raw files from a 7D.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

What's everyone's thoughts on Aperture 3? Given a choice between Aperture and Lightroom, is Lightroom the one to go with?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

moron posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on Aperture 3? Given a choice between Aperture and Lightroom, is Lightroom the one to go with?

For me, Lightroom was always the obvious choice because it lets you store your photos in a regular folder structure. Aperture (at least in the version I had, maybe they've changed it now) puts everything in a single giant package file that is irritating as hell to work with.

VVVV 25,000 or so25,941 in the active one.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

orange lime posted:

For me, Lightroom was always the obvious choice because it lets you store your photos in a regular folder structure. Aperture (at least in the version I had, maybe they've changed it now) puts everything in a single giant package file that is irritating as hell to work with.

Main reason I used Lightroom.

How many images do you guys have in your catalogs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~3,000 give or take. Not a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Whitezombi posted:

How many images do you guys have in your catalogs?
A little over 24,000 and it goes up by about 2200/year.

• Locked thread