Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

iastudent posted:

I'm honestly trying to pick my brain at what Discovery had before Mythbusters. For better or worse it was that show that got me to pay attention to the network as a whole.

In the 90s the Discovery Channel was pretty much 3 seperate entities: early morning was early childhood programming about stuff like phonics and science, daytime was home-improvement shows (it was pretty much the Bob Vila Channel for 5 hours a day), then in the afternoon they did actual documentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

iastudent posted:

I'm honestly trying to pick my brain at what Discovery had before Mythbusters. For better or worse it was that show that got me to pay attention to the network as a whole.

Junkyard Wars?

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

IRQ posted:

Junkyard Wars?
That was TLC before TLC became all midgets and giant families.

Really, the modern Discovery really looks like the late 90's TLC.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Wasn't Beyond 2000 on Discovery? I remember watching the poo poo out of the back in the day.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teek posted:

Wasn't Beyond 2000 on Discovery? I remember watching the poo poo out of the back in the day.

The biggest thing I remember from my youth was live coverage of Voyager 2's contact with Neptune, something I'm fairly damned sure isn't going to happen when New Horizons passes Pluto in five years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

iastudent posted:

You're blocking out the dark days of Discovery when it was all car building shows all the time. Except during the day when it was Gay Man Shows You How to do Home Design.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

You're blocking out the dark days of Discovery when it was all car building shows all the time. Except during the day when it was Gay Man Shows You How to do Home Design.

Oh hell, that's right. I used to watch Monster Garage and Monster House when those were on. Still didn't give a poo poo about the rest of the lineup until after the turn of the millennium, though.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

drat, I walked away from the TV for a short time and missed it. What was the deal with the call Jake made to his sister?

Edit: Ah. His mother just called the wheelhouse and Sig answered. Apparently Jake's father is missing. This poor kid gets no luck with family members.

Guy Compton fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 16, 2010

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now Sig is going to fire him on top of it just to toughen him up.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Good grief this is the darkest episode

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jesus shitfucking christ poor Phil. :cry:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Guy Compton posted:

drat, I walked away from the TV for a short time and missed it. What was the deal with the call Jake made to his sister?

Edit: Ah. His mother just called the wheelhouse and Sig answered. Apparently Jake's father is missing. This poor kid gets no luck with family members.

Yeah Jake knew he was missing, but didn't know his truck had been found (only Sig knows that).

Poor Jake :(. I'm guessing his father couldn't take his daughter dying and went to kill himself.

Also poor Phil/Jacob :(. He's an addict. Jeez.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

IRQ posted:

Jesus shitfucking christ poor Phil. :cry:

Ho-lee gently caress.

I hate to think like this, but two things spring to mind:

1- Did Discovery have an inkling of this beforehand and edited accordingly, or was Josh just hiding it really, really well, and, this is the worst of it:

2- Phil had his stroke during an offload of Opies, no? The question occurs as to the timeline of all this now.

edit- I was checking the Discovery message boards just now, and found this (VERY spoiler heavy)

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/06/deadliest-catch-thom-beers-talks-phil-harris-confrontation-with-son-nba-threat.html

The next episode will deal with the stroke. They asked Thom Beers, the producer, if the confrontation contributed to the stroke, and he says it was A factor, but not THE factor.

Kwik fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 16, 2010

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

McSpanky posted:

The biggest thing I remember from my youth was live coverage of Voyager 2's contact with Neptune, something I'm fairly damned sure isn't going to happen when New Horizons passes Pluto in five years.
There's a NASA channel for that, but actually the Science Channel may run live coverage they did for the Phoenix lander. Probably depends on the time of day.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kwik posted:

Ho-lee gently caress.

1- Did Discovery have an inkling of this beforehand and edited accordingly, or was Josh just hiding it really, really well, and, this is the worst of it:

It was Jake, not Josh. Made more ironic by the fact that earlier in the episode Phil was praising him for being the son who showed some initiative, right? I could be mixing that part up.

I've always figured there was a lot of meth/etc use on these boats, but it's just heartbreaking to see Phil get poo poo on like this when we all know he's about to die.

I mean, yeah earlier in the episode he talked about doing every drug known to man contributing to his imminent death and so forth, but wow. Was he like Jake at that age? Good bet that he was; when you get down to it these guys are pretty trashy. But still it's not really that so much as Phil's disowning his son right before he dies that totally kills me.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Phil clearly had his days but as was said, he was a captain at Jake's age. Phil clearly had something to him that drove him to become a success in the industry.

I agree, I'm sure there's quite a bit of amphetamine usage on those boats just because of the insane hours those guys carry.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just caught the rerun of this (blame 2 hours of Hell's Kitchen for me not catching the first showing). I don't think anything on TV's made me more :smith: in a long time than this episode.

EDIT: Good to see Keith and John are reconciled on After the Catch, but everyone's drinking Coors Light and there's a pitcher with the logo present in nearly every camera shot. Wow, big surprise. :rolleyes:

iastudent fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 16, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
What about Jake's dad disappearing? That kid's got the most screwed up experiences on this boat

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

iastudent posted:

Just caught the rerun of this (blame 2 hours of Hell's Kitchen for me not catching the first showing). I don't think anything on TV's made me more :smith: in a long time than this episode.

EDIT: Good to see Keith and John are reconciled on After the Catch, but everyone's drinking Coors Light and there's a pitcher with the logo present in nearly every camera shot. Wow, big surprise. :rolleyes:

Somebody's gotta fund that poo poo.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Strange Matter posted:

What about Jake's dad disappearing? That kid's got the most screwed up experiences on this boat

I cracked a smile when Sig said he'd keep Jake busy for a few days. I only caught the last half of the show, but it seemed poorly paced to throw two of its biggest :smith: moments into less than thirty minutes of show.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Kwik posted:

Ho-lee gently caress.

I don't think Discovery knew about the drug problem before Phil caught Jake.

I'm guessing Jake managed to cover up the drug use pretty well for most of the trip (Phil didn't notice missing pills, so Jake can't have used too much), since being stoned on painkillers makes someone act differently than just being dead tired.

Those guys are also around each other enough that heavy drug use probably would have stood out to someone, especially the loss of coordination and poor judgment that go with heavy narcotic use. I'm guessing that when the episode was taped, Jake had started taking more of the drugs, since he hadn't seemed visibly stoned during earlier episodes.

Plus, having someone abusing narcotics in a job that's normally dangerous is incredibly unsafe for everyone on board, so there's no way the Discovery crew would have kept quiet if they thought Jake was that stoned before.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

I don't think Discovery knew about the drug problem before Phil caught Jake.

I'm guessing Jake managed to cover up the drug use pretty well for most of the trip (Phil didn't notice missing pills, so Jake can't have used too much), since being stoned on painkillers makes someone act differently than just being dead tired.

Those guys are also around each other enough that heavy drug use probably would have stood out to someone, especially the loss of coordination and poor judgment that go with heavy narcotic use. I'm guessing that when the episode was taped, Jake had started taking more of the drugs, since he hadn't seemed visibly stoned during earlier episodes.

Plus, having someone abusing narcotics in a job that's normally dangerous is incredibly unsafe for everyone on board, so there's no way the Discovery crew would have kept quiet if they thought Jake was that stoned before.

I've had a decent amount of experience working with people who are habitually stoned as gently caress on painkillers, and I didn't notice it until Jake came upstairs to talk to Phil, then it was incredibly obvious. I don't know if they edited it cleverly, but if you hear an addict talking when he isn't high, it's really really obvious.

Sucks for Phil though, I hope Jake is in treatment :( Opiates are awful but hey, bright side is that he's not on meth/heroin as far as we know.

Edit: I haven't been watching every episode, so I dunno.

Edit2: \/\/ Word.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 16, 2010

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigHead posted:

I've had a decent amount of experience working with people who are habitually stoned as gently caress on painkillers, and I didn't notice it until Jake came upstairs to talk to Phil, then it was incredibly obvious. I don't know if they edited it cleverly, but if you hear an addict talking when he isn't high, it's really really obvious.

Sucks for Phil though, I hope Jake is in treatment :( Opiates are awful but hey, bright side is that he's not on meth/heroin as far as we know.

poo poo I figured he WAS on meth/heroin/somethinglikethat and that the only fix he could find out at sea was Phil's pills.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Doesnt surprise me in the slightest that Jake is an addict. I've always just assumed he was.

leppo
Jul 12, 2003

Kwik posted:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/06/deadliest-catch-thom-beers-talks-phil-harris-confrontation-with-son-nba-threat.html

The next episode will deal with the stroke. They asked Thom Beers, the producer, if the confrontation contributed to the stroke, and he says it was A factor, but not THE factor.

Sad episode indeed. Not a very fair comment for Beers to make. Sure it may have gotten Phil stressing but so could a multitude of other things. Kid didn't feed his Dad bacon and cigarettes for 30 years.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Watching Phil literally cry about his kid being a junkie was just heart wrenching. I've been apprehensive all season long about the impending stroke. I can't imagine what his kid was going through afterwords.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't think I've ever wanted to see violence happen more than when Jake started blubbering about being an addict while the old man was trying not to loving die right then and there.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I don't think I've ever wanted to see violence happen more than when Jake started blubbering about being an addict while the old man was trying not to loving die right then and there.

Wasn't he the same kid a few seasons back that bought a big rear end flatscreen TV with dad's credit card?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

Wasn't he the same kid a few seasons back that bought a big rear end flatscreen TV with dad's credit card?

Yes he did.

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

Minto Took posted:

Yes he did.

loving little bastard.

R.I.P Phil, at least you have(had) Josh. You never had faith in him to be the captain, but hes the son you can (could have) depend(ed) on.

edit;

Jesus christ man, watching the episode now on lunch again, this whole season they have been showing Phil's feet shake in his little foot rest. I really don't like the foreshadowing.

All Pig Be Slay fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 16, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Yea, those last 5 minutes on Deadliest Catch was easily the best television Discovery has ever put out. I'm glad they followed it up with After the Catch, because I needed a pick-up. And it's back to being great because Mike Rowe was back and it was just a bunch of guys sitting around talking over a couple beers. Which is what it should be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Farking Bastage posted:

Watching Phil literally cry about his kid being a junkie was just heart wrenching. I've been apprehensive all season long about the impending stroke. I can't imagine what his kid was going through afterwords.

Have you seen next week's episode or something? The last thing I got was Jake telling him he was an addict and it ended right there.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
I watched last night and saw Phil having problems, both me and my wife said "oh poo poo here it comes" thankfully it didn't happen. I'm not looking forward to seeing that episode.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
I actually kind of felt bad for Josh, Phil was like, you show initiative, you come up to the wheelhouse, but Jake needs to do it because you aren't going to be captain

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MrDingleDangle posted:

I actually kind of felt bad for Josh, Phil was like, you show initiative, you come up to the wheelhouse, but Jake needs to do it because you aren't going to be captain

Yeah that sucked. That whole conversation was edited very oddly and repetitively. He kept lauding Josh and lambasting Jake and then right at the end is like "Jake's gonna be captain." Either it's weird editing, Phil just confused his kids names (likely), or Phil is just fickle.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that sucked. That whole conversation was edited very oddly and repetitively. He kept lauding Josh and lambasting Jake and then right at the end is like "Jake's gonna be captain." Either it's weird editing, Phil just confused his kids names (likely), or Phil is just fickle.

I think what he meant was. Jake is most like him. So he knows for a fact that Jake is capable of being a captain, but he shows no initiative. He's saying if Jake would just show interest, and learn what he needed to, he knows for a fact Jake could be Captain in no time, because he was almost the exact same way. The only thing holding Jake back would be him actually DOING what needs to be done, while with Josh, he feels Josh needs a lot more work, even though he seems more interested.

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think what he meant was. Jake is most like him. So he knows for a fact that Jake is capable of being a captain, but he shows no initiative. He's saying if Jake would just show interest, and learn what he needed to, he knows for a fact Jake could be Captain in no time, because he was almost the exact same way. The only thing holding Jake back would be him actually DOING what needs to be done, while with Josh, he feels Josh needs a lot more work, even though he seems more interested.

I dont get why he thinks Josh isn't ready. Josh is the guy who covers for his dad when he needs to sleep and not be in the wheel house.

Josh is the man, Jake is the failure.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Have you seen next week's episode or something? The last thing I got was Jake telling him he was an addict and it ended right there.

Where he had his head in the crook of his arm telling Jake that he never wanted to see him again was what I was referring to. Otherwise it was speculation as to how much of a shithead Jake had to feel like after his dad dies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Farking Bastage posted:

Where he had his head in the crook of his arm telling Jake that he never wanted to see him again was what I was referring to. Otherwise it was speculation as to how much of a shithead Jake had to feel like after his dad dies.

He was straight back to being a worthless piece of poo poo pretty quickly.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20345801,00.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

All Pig Be Slay posted:

I dont get why he thinks Josh isn't ready. Josh is the guy who covers for his dad when he needs to sleep and not be in the wheel house.

Josh is the man, Jake is the failure.

Maybe its a personality thing. Maybe, outside of what the cameras see, he knows them well enough to know that Jake has the right mentality to be a good captain in a much shorter amount of time then Josh does.

• Locked thread