Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but whats the best priced litter? We are willing to order online in bulk if its cheaper.

What we currently use (like it, very good at killing smell): http://tinyurl.com/2cm8dud

Problem is its $20+ at the pet stores. We live in Nashville, so if you know any good pet stores round there even, any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Only halfway through this thread so far, and I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and suggestions on dealing with kitty issues, it has made it a lot easier working with Pepper since she got home. In appreciation, have a picture of her napping on my shoulders. :3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That picture is about twice the size that's a good idea to post on the forums... My tables are breaking and I have a lovely big monitor.

Duckman2008, I like Arm & Hammer unscented. The scented version makes cats smell like public toilets, so be sure to get unscented. It's really good and keeps the stink down. Target usually has it for quite cheap, but it's oddly expensive at Petco sometimes.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Just noticed today that Eva has some weirdness on her lip. Just on one side, the other side looks normal. It seems to be a little inflamed and there's redness which looks like a little sore or something? I don't really know.

Anyone know what is going on? Should I make an appointment with the vet?

justFaye fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 13, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

justFaye posted:

Just noticed today that Eva has some weirdness on her lip. Just on one side, the other side looks normal. It seems to be a little inflamed and there's redness which looks like a little sore or something? I don't really know.

Hmm, kinda hard to say. Is that a bit of blood on it? Either way, I'd probably give it another day or two before I ran to the vet, but make sure you keep an eye on it (and the rest of her of course).

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Hmm, kinda hard to say. Is that a bit of blood on it? Either way, I'd probably give it another day or two before I ran to the vet, but make sure you keep an eye on it (and the rest of her of course).

It looks like a little bit of blood, but doesn't seem to be actively bleeding.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

justFaye posted:

It looks like a little bit of blood, but doesn't seem to be actively bleeding.

Yeah, I dunno, I'd probably just wait it out a little bit, maybe she just nicked her lip with her claw or something like that. I couldn't find much of anything that suggested that a little bump around the lips is anything immediately life-threatening.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but whats the best priced litter? We are willing to order online in bulk if its cheaper.

What we currently use (like it, very good at killing smell): http://tinyurl.com/2cm8dud

Problem is its $20+ at the pet stores. We live in Nashville, so if you know any good pet stores round there even, any help is appreciated.

Don't know if you have a membership, but both BJ's and Costco (and probably Sam's Club, maybe) have Fresh Step for $14 for a 42 lb bag. You'll need a membership or know someone with one, so I make my dad buy it. Oh, and it does make your cats smell like the previously mentioned public toilet, but it's cheap enough that I don't care.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Does anyone know of a reliable supplier for Nature's Miracle in the UK? All I seem to find is companies offering to ship me 12oz bottles of the stuff from the US for £60+.

Unless anyone knows of a British version?

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

justFaye posted:

Anecdote/excuse to post cat picture/excuse to tell stories about my cat: Max rubs his cheek-scent-glands on every goddamn thing in the house. He'll just sit there, looking at you, realize he's next to a door (or a wall, or a corner, or a chair...), and cheekrub it. We think that this is one of two possible ways that he acquired a sore on his lip -- rubbed against something that wasn't smooth, got his lip cut, got it infected. He's got black/white markings on his face, so because of where the rounded-white is on his face, it took us a while to realize that one white cheek was swollen, in addition to his lip looking red and bleedy.

It didn't go away, it started getting better, and my fiance brought him into the vet because it was taking a while to heal. The vet gave us antibiotics to pill him with, and it was healing but it wasn't totally gone when he went back a week later. So we were given both steroids and antibiotics and finally it disappeared within the next week.

Now for the excuse part: After the first vet visit I called my fiance and asked him how it went. He said "Check your facebook". I was greeted with this (you can see the swollen cheek a bit here):

Then he said that Max tried to go into the bedroom (we keep it propped open with a door stop) and his cone bumped it so he couldn't get in. Eventually he did, he went to hide under the bed and he nearly couldn't fit under it with the cone. Then he tried to leave the bedroom and couldn't without assistance. Then he went into the other room and sat next to a chair for like an hour and a half. My fiance put a treat down for him and he couldn't reach the treat on the floor with the cone. That's when his heart broke and he took Max's cone off.

I swear, I nearly died laughing at the picture and then all over again when I got home and he told me all this. The short version of this is: Keep an eye on it, but even though it might go down in size, if you have a cat as dumb as Max he might keep irritating it by rubbing his face on everything and it could never heal properly without assistance. :) Also you might get to enjoy pictures of the Saddest Cat in the World like the above. :v:

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Panthrax posted:

Don't know if you have a membership, but both BJ's and Costco (and probably Sam's Club, maybe) have Fresh Step for $14 for a 42 lb bag. You'll need a membership or know someone with one, so I make my dad buy it. Oh, and it does make your cats smell like the previously mentioned public toilet, but it's cheap enough that I don't care.

We made the mistake of getting Scoop Away at Costco. Not only did it make our cat smell like a public toilet, but it made our entire apartment smell. We haven't used it for more than a month and everytime I unwrap a roll of toilet paper or disturb something that doesn't normally get moved, it instantly smells again. Oh, and it's so bad we could taste it all the time.

Our Costco also sells a Purrfect Litter that is scented, but only by herbs (supposedly). We've been using it for a month or so now and it's quite nice. I think it's about the same price, if not a smidgen cheaper, than the Scoop Away. It just smells "clean"--like if you were outside smelling fresh air.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Firequirks posted:

The short version of this is: Keep an eye on it, but even though it might go down in size, if you have a cat as dumb as Max he might keep irritating it by rubbing his face on everything and it could never heal properly without assistance.

Thanks for the story. It does seem like it could be from rubbing her scent gland everywhere. It looks kind of like when I get a scrape and it doesn't actively bleed, just some blood comes to the surface, except that it's a little swollen (but not greatly swollen). I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days and then call the vet if it hasn't improved/gets worse.

LargeHadronColada
Jun 11, 2009

Doubtful Guest posted:

Does anyone know of a reliable supplier for Nature's Miracle in the UK? All I seem to find is companies offering to ship me 12oz bottles of the stuff from the US for £60+.

Unless anyone knows of a British version?

Seconding this: nothing else works! I'll tell you what, Doubtful Guest, there's an online store here that sells a gallon for £40 - I'll split it with you if you can't find anywhere! I don't need a whole gallon! I've tried UrineOff, but sure enough, no dice.

Where are you based? I'm in London.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm a big fan of Good Mews, it's super cheap and it kills all the urine smell until it is saturated, and it is flushable. The litter box is really close to the bathroom so i just scoop the poop out and throw it in the toilet and then throw the whole box out once or twice a week. I got a 25 pound bag of it for 12 dollars.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

justFaye posted:

My big cat Jim has had this happen to him. It hasn't happened in a long time, but it does happen when he has had fleas in the past because he's allergic to them. It makes it difficult for him to eat. He went on flea meds for awhile and once the fleas were gone it went away, so that's another possibility.

I am back, however, with another question about Fry. The good news is he's still loving his slurry and is now eating like a champ. I ran out of KMR so I've been making it with water the last two days. Yesterday I decided to try to get him to eat off a plate. He had little interest in eating it himself but if I put some on my fingers and fed it to him he'd eat it. Then I'd lead his face down to the bowl and sometimes he'd basically try to suck it out of the bowl. After a long, long time (over an hour) he finally ate about a tablespoon of it by sucking it. He doesn't get biting or licking the food yet. I tried opening his mouth and putting bites of food into his mouth but he still doesn't get it. I leave food for him in his box, but he won't touch it. I'm not sure if he's drinking the water I leave for him, either. I went back to bottle feeding last night and this morning.

Is there something special I need to do to make him understand how to eat solid food? He should be about 4 weeks old now, maybe closer to 5. He's very very bright and active and now is starting to play, and can walk well. He loves climbing and chasing imaginary enemies, he even did his first pounce yesterday. He always uses his litter box, and has only had one accident outside of it since I introduced him to it Thursday, and that was my fault for having him away from it for over two hours.

My sweet-tempered adult cat, Leela, has taken an interest in watching him, should I maybe start introducing them to see if she can teach him proper behavior?

I've also got more pictures of him and the others up here for those who want pictures. :)

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

LargeHadronColada posted:

Seconding this: nothing else works! I'll tell you what, Doubtful Guest, there's an online store here that sells a gallon for £40 - I'll split it with you if you can't find anywhere! I don't need a whole gallon! I've tried UrineOff, but sure enough, no dice.

Where are you based? I'm in London.

Sounds good. Drop me a line at Sixthbornson at gmail.com

Thanks

LargeHadronColada
Jun 11, 2009

Doubtful Guest posted:

Sounds good. Drop me a line at Sixthbornson at gmail.com

Thanks

Will do - some of the bottles are back in stock, but only the ferret-specific ones.

http://www.companionschoice.co.uk/ if anyone's interested!

LargeHadronColada fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 14, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Just want to say thanks to those who've recommended da bird in this thread. I picked one up a few weeks ago and Charlie enjoys it so much he will sit on top of it and meow to let me know when it's time to play. And he's slimmed down a bit. I'm planning on getting one for a friend as well, it's just that great.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The gf just got a kitten, which is drat adorable. It's got a nub for a tail, a trait it inherited from its daddy. It's now 10 weeks old.

Now that we're training it, we noticed that it doesn't react negatively to blasts from our mini water guns - even in the face. It's mainly reactions of puzzlement, and then licking itself clean. Today it just laid there as she was blasted with water, clearly enjoying it.

If water guns don't work as punishment tools, what else can we use?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

the walkin dude posted:

The gf just got a kitten, which is drat adorable. It's got a nub for a tail, a trait it inherited from its daddy. It's now 10 weeks old.

Now that we're training it, we noticed that it doesn't react negatively to blasts from our mini water guns - even in the face. It's mainly reactions of puzzlement, and then licking itself clean. Today it just laid there as she was blasted with water, clearly enjoying it.

If water guns don't work as punishment tools, what else can we use?

Canned air (like for cleaning computers) works really well.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

RheaConfused posted:

Canned air (like for cleaning computers) works really well.

A vinegar/water solution should work too, but you want to avoid hitting him in the face/eyes with it. A less dangerous option is to shake a can full of pennys.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think this deserves its own thread.

There's a super cute and nice cat who's been around my complex as a stray for the past 2 or 3 years. Don't know if it is male or female, I haven't checked the plumbing.

It is one of the nicest cats I have ever met, it will approach you, meow and just enjoys being petted. It is so "tame", it will come like a trained dog when you call it. Due to this, I have tried to find a home, and had success with two of my friends who want a pet and have experience with cats and dogs. There is a huge problem though, the cat hates to be held and refuses to go into a car. I tried and it scratched and bit me, I bled for a while. I considered taking it to a shelter since it is so nice, even after I tried to hold and move it, it still came when I called and enjoyed my hand petting it. However, I am concerned that due to its actions when held, a kill shelter will deem it inappropriate for adoption and the no-kill shelter in my area is full.

I'm wondering if I should abandon my hopes for a home, or get a kitty carrier to transport it and hope it tames more with my friends. It has lasted winters before, I am not sure how though. It doesn't seem to take food handouts, I tried to feed it a can of salmon and tuna which it promptly ignored.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Are you sure it's not owned by someone who lives near you? It's really odd for it not to accept food. Lots of cats don't want to be picked up or put in a carrier. You could try luring it into a carrier with food, or a trap.

Purple_slug
Nov 27, 2007

Hey PI! I have a developing cat situation and I could use some advice!

My mom knows a lady whose cat had kittens kinda recently. The kittens are probably two months old or so. My mom and I are thinking about adopting one of them especially since we haven't had a cat in a really long time. (Our last cat passed away about five years ago.) So there is this one white cat with green eyes. He's absolutely adorable! But umm... I guess he's deaf.

Well. Before we commit to this adoption, I was wondering if anyone else has experience with deaf cats. He's a young dude so he's going to need a little training. Is being deaf a really tough handicap? Is he better off with people who have more experience?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RheaConfused posted:

Are you sure it's not owned by someone who lives near you? It's really odd for it not to accept food. Lots of cats don't want to be picked up or put in a carrier. You could try luring it into a carrier with food, or a trap.

It has no collar and I doubt it has an owner. The friends who want it were my neighbors last year, I hardly knew the kitty. They said that it would avoid going into people's apartments despite just plopping down in front of people to be petted.
However, just a week ago it bolted into my place as soon as I opened the door. A co-worker lived at the complex before I did recognized the cat from my cell. He said that the cat chilled for a night or two at his place two years ago. It didn't like to be held then either.

I am no cat experts. I like cats, but have always had a preference to dogs, so I have anything but cat whisperer intuition. However, with how social it is and it has lived through two winters (there were previous strays last summer who didn't make it, one was also really sweet and I feel horrible not trying to find it a home like this one), I think it has been taken in by students but doesn't have a permanent home. It doesn't wonder through the day and go back home at night, I've seen it as late as four AM and as early as seven AM.

I do believe that the cat, if it were taken in by my friends, would eventually tame to a very social and lovable by all kitty. However, I do not know if that's best for the cat now. Maybe its aversion to being held is giving me second doubts when I should have none. My other friends just took in an abused cat from a shelter, and it avoids new people, but after a few hours at their place I can hold it and treat her as a "family" cat. I just don't know what to make of Mr. Stray's behavior.

/e - As for the food I found that weird as well. The cat mentioned earlier who died gladly accepted food from me, and I kept it at my place for a day until I could contact the no kill shelter only to find it was full. She slept with me =3. I assume someone is leaving a dish out for the current stray outside of the complex fence.

How's the humane society when it comes to strays. Maybe it is an urban legend on campus, but the general consensus is that they will euthenize cats due to their abundance after 72 hours if nobody shows signs of wanting to adopt them. (Eaton, OH shelter). I've avoided contacting them.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 15, 2010

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Purple_slug posted:

Hey PI! I have a developing cat situation and I could use some advice!

My mom knows a lady whose cat had kittens kinda recently. The kittens are probably two months old or so. My mom and I are thinking about adopting one of them especially since we haven't had a cat in a really long time. (Our last cat passed away about five years ago.) So there is this one white cat with green eyes. He's absolutely adorable! But umm... I guess he's deaf.

Well. Before we commit to this adoption, I was wondering if anyone else has experience with deaf cats. He's a young dude so he's going to need a little training. Is being deaf a really tough handicap? Is he better off with people who have more experience?
I say go for it. Deaf cats do really well. Obviously he should be kept indoors 100% of the time because he would be a lot more likely to get run over or eaten by a dog. Other than that, deaf cats are pretty normal. You won't be able to yell at him from across the room to get off the kitchen counter, but my cats are "deaf" in this regard, too. :) I've known a couple older cats who went deaf later in life and became big talkers (to the point of being annoying) but I don't think that's a common thing with cats who are born deaf.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Mr. Wookums posted:

It has no collar and I doubt it has an owner. The friends who want it were my neighbors last year, I hardly knew the kitty. They said that it would avoid going into people's apartments despite just plopping down in front of people to be petted.
However, just a week ago it bolted into my place as soon as I opened the door. A co-worker lived at the complex before I did recognized the cat from my cell. He said that the cat chilled for a night or two at his place two years ago. It didn't like to be held then either.

I am no cat experts. I like cats, but have always had a preference to dogs, so I have anything but cat whisperer intuition. However, with how social it is and it has lived through two winters (there were previous strays last summer who didn't make it, one was also really sweet and I feel horrible not trying to find it a home like this one), I think it has been taken in by students but doesn't have a permanent home. It doesn't wonder through the day and go back home at night, I've seen it as late as four AM and as early as seven AM.

I do believe that the cat, if it were taken in by my friends, would eventually tame to a very social and lovable by all kitty. However, I do not know if that's best for the cat now. Maybe its aversion to being held is giving me second doubts when I should have none. My other friends just took in an abused cat from a shelter, and it avoids new people, but after a few hours at their place I can hold it and treat her as a "family" cat. I just don't know what to make of Mr. Stray's behavior.

/e - As for the food I found that weird as well. The cat mentioned earlier who died gladly accepted food from me, and I kept it at my place for a day until I could contact the no kill shelter only to find it was full. She slept with me =3. I assume someone is leaving a dish out for the current stray outside of the complex fence.

How's the humane society when it comes to strays. Maybe it is an urban legend on campus, but the general consensus is that they will euthenize cats due to their abundance after 72 hours if nobody shows signs of wanting to adopt them. (Eaton, OH shelter). I've avoided contacting them.

It could still be owned by someone, lots of jerks keep their cats outside only. That being said it probably isn't, but I would assume that lots of people feed it. I got a stray this way, and he hates to be held and picked up more than anything, but he is the best cat ever. Just because he is averse to being held doesn't mean that he wouldn't be ok to live in a house and even eventually become a lap cat. That's what happened for me. Do you have any cat experienced friends who could help you get it into a carrier? I think the first step would be if you could lure it into your house again, or even better a bathroom.

Every humane society is different really, but older cats have a much harder time getting adopted, and if he is sick at all that usually means they would put him down.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks, I think it is sweet enough that it will develop into a great lap cat even if holding is a no no. I'll confirm that my friends still want it and grab a cat carrier from my other friends and have everyone help with luring it in. It definitely deserves a stable home.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
@ Purple slug my next cat is going to be deaf, so I can vacuum her.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWGnXkcaKI
@ mr wookums, I agree with every one, my cats aren't thrilled with being picked up. All cuddles are on their terms.

Purple_slug
Nov 27, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

@ Purple slug my next cat is going to be deaf, so I can vacuum her.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWGnXkcaKI
@ mr wookums, I agree with every one, my cats aren't thrilled with being picked up. All cuddles are on their terms.

This is perfect! I'm actually pretty allergic to cats but was willing to put up with a new cat just because I love them so much. If we end up adopting this kitty, I'm totally going to vacuum him!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Wookums, I think you should probably ask around the complex/neighborhood a bit before you try to adopt that cat out. Plenty of people think that letting their cat run around and bother people all day is A-OK. While they don't seem to give two shits about the little guy now, just wait and see how protective they'll get when someone with half a brain tries to give a real home to their seemingly abandoned cat.

But yeah, if you find out he's OK to take, I'm sure he'd be an awesome housecat. Lots of cats just don't like being picked up, it's something you have to condition them to like when they are little.

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.
^^ I have a question regarding the "some cats just don't like being picked up" thing.

I just adopted 2 boy kittens, about 9/10 weeks old from the Cat Action Trust who do work mostly with feral cats, so these kittens were feral until the shelter had them. The fosterer said that the tabby Deckard was really timid and we must spend hours picking him up, holding him and petting him, having the time isn't a problem but I'm worried I'm stressing him out. He hisses when I first go to pick him up and makes little cute gremlin noises. Sometimes he's okay to sit in my lap but other times he will jump off as soon as with claws out. The fosterer had a young daughter that was a bit nuts in the way kids are and was constantly chasing after him and trying to grab him so I'm not surprised that he's a bit jittery.

His brother, Leon, is better at being held and is a total purr machine, I only have to look at him and I can hear his motor going.

I've only had them a couple of days so I'm aware they're still settling in, Deckard doesn't mind being petted but it's the actually being held that seems to bother him. How will I know it's not because he was once feral and it's just the way he is?

Have some pics for your time :)

Deckard

Leon

LargeHadronColada
Jun 11, 2009

Power Dips posted:

I've only had them a couple of days so I'm aware they're still settling in, Deckard doesn't mind being petted but it's the actually being held that seems to bother him. How will I know it's not because he was once feral and it's just the way he is?

My new fat cat Dess hated being picked up - she growls and slashes after a few seconds (what a cutie! not). I've found that after a few weeks she'd settled in some more and had bonded with us, and so was much more willing to put up with our snuggles and grooming and sorts. Have you tried feeding him bits of ham and tuna while he's being picked up? It might help him settle in to being carted around if you bribe him!

Both kittens = total cuteness btw.

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.
Oh I know who you are now ;) You have another reason to come to Scotland and see the babies!

Yeah I wanted to try and feed him wee treats to make sitting in my lap a fun thing but all the treats in the pet store were only suitable for cats over 3 months old and I don't want to give him ham that's too salty for his wee belly. I'm a paranoid mother.

LargeHadronColada
Jun 11, 2009
That's fair enough! Dess likes plain bits of chicken, which incidentally is the only human food (aside from tuna) that doesn't give her the raving shits. Good luck!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Power Dips posted:

^^ I have a question regarding the "some cats just don't like being picked up" thing.

OMG so cute. I wish I was paid in cuteness more often. :3:

I got my cats as kittens and they were ferals too. I'd just give him a little more time to settle in and then maybe try again. Also make sure to make yourself less scary by sitting on the floor, not being too loud, not staring at them too much, etc. Sounds like mine were way worse than yours, it took quite awhile for them to not run away from us, haha. They are about a year old now and really like attention and being held most of the time so don't worry, just keep at it.

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks, yeah I do usually sit down on the ground and let them take it nice and slow, I've been brushing them daily as well to get them used to being handled and to work my way up to trimming their claws (not looking forward to that :( ) Deckard is extremely playful when the feather-onna-stick is out and seems to forget I'm even there:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Power Dips posted:

Thanks, yeah I do usually sit down on the ground and let them take it nice and slow, I've been brushing them daily as well to get them used to being handled and to work my way up to trimming their claws (not looking forward to that :( ) Deckard is extremely playful when the feather-onna-stick is out and seems to forget I'm even there:

Haha, they totally remind me of my kitties when they were little. Wish I had some pictures of them handy but I'm at work.

Some more advice for feral kittens: At this age, you have the opportunity to get them used to stuff that they will have to deal with as adults, like strangers, dogs, harnesses, etc. If you think any of those sorts of things will be in the picture later on, try to get them used to those things now (well, after they start getting used to YOU of course). Have them meet and play with as many people as you can find (shouldn't be TOO hard to find people that will play with cute kittens, haha). This is really important for feral kitties. If you want to walk them on harnesses, try getting some kitten-sized ones and getting them used to it. If you might want to have dogs or have one now, try to let them have some supervised play with a cat-friendly dog or two. It's good that you're going to try to trim their claws right away. Just start off by touching their paws, pushing their claws out, etc. Just getting them used to having their paws touched.

Good luck! It's really rewarding when they start opening up to you.

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
Ok cool, yeah I was wanting to put them on a harness and take them for a walk or to keep an eye on when I'm out in the garden working so I'll go and pick up a couple of harnesses to start getting them used to. I have to admit, I'll probably be too worried/scared to ever let them outside even on a harness just in case, I stick them in the cat carrier to transfer from room to room...

I haven't been able to trim their claws so I've just been filing them gently for now so they get used to getting their paws touched, so far they are pretty tolerant of me poking them all over :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kittens that are only a couple of months old aren't really 'feral', they are just kittens. I mean sure, technically they are feral since they were born in the wild, but they really don't have that feral cat attitude because that is something that takes a long time in the wild to develop.

When I caught my three kittens several years ago, I caught two (D.D. and L.T.) of them when they were like 2 months old and I wouldn't have considered either of them feral. They both adapted quite quickly to living inside and within a week they were basically perfectly behaved for 2 month old kittens.

The third one, Oscar, took me two extra months to catch, so he spent around 4 months outside before I was able to catch him and I wouldn't even consider him feral by the time I caught him. He was a little more 'wild' than the other two when I caught him, but it wasn't anything serious. The biggest difference between Oscar and the other two kittens was that Oscar was a bit more skittish for a longer period of time. Sudden movements or loud noises would send Oscar running to hide in the bedroom or under the bed. So all I did was to mostly ignore him unless he came to me to get petted, which he did every night when I laid down on the couch to go to sleep. :3:

Now, Oscar is just about the best cat ever. He is quiet, he doesn't cause trouble and he is absolutely adorable when he wants to get petted, which is a lot more often than when I first caught him. He still hides from strangers and he still doesn't like when I open a new garbage bag, but other than that he is just about the perfect cat.