Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Cleavage Wolves is a much better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Has anyone tried the (or an alternative) high resolution add-on for Outcast. The last time tried this game vanilla I was sad to see it didn't appear go past 640x480. Ten years later I'm sure my PC could handle up to 1024x768 but the option isn't there.

The highest resolution I've been able to get it to run at is 640x480 with an unofficial patch. The GOG version is normally limited to 512x384 in a 640x480 window meaning you get black borders all around.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
I won a free game coupon! :unsmith:

Any suggestions for what I should spend my imaginary funbucks on? Looking like it's between King's Bounty, Disciples 2, URU: CC or waiting until tomorrow to see if there's a new release.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Has anyone tried the (or an alternative) high resolution add-on for Outcast. The last time tried this game vanilla I was sad to see it didn't appear go past 640x480. Ten years later I'm sure my PC could handle up to 1024x768 but the option isn't there.

The 640x480 patch works fine as far as I can tell, and is as high a res as you'll get. It does remove the DoF effect that appears at 512x384 and below...but that disappears whenever you enter 1st person anyway, not exactly a great loss.

If you've got a CRT, then you can run at 512x384 just fine. You'll need to add it as a valid res in your Nvidia/ATI control panel and start the game with LOADER.exe, otherwise the framed option will keep being forced on.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

OneTrueBru posted:

I won a free game coupon! :unsmith:

Blah blah not an old game, etc.
Kings Bounty was an awesome game. Get it for free.
Sure, the expansion (Armored Princess) is even better, but it doesn't make the game less awesome.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Coming to GOG sometime: Fantasy Wars for $9.99, UFO: Afterlight for $9.99 and Freedom Force VS The Third Reich for $5.99.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

glug posted:

Blah blah not an old game, etc.
Kings Bounty was an awesome game. Get it for free.
Sure, the expansion (Armored Princess) is even better, but it doesn't make the game less awesome.

On a tangential note, Armored Princess (which is less of an expansion, and more a reimagining of the first game, becoming somewhat less linear and more randomized in the process) is actually getting a real expansion pack fairly soon, which includes a full editor suite.

King's Bounty is about to get a lot better.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Why would they make it more expensive than steam?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Because they only have two price points at the moment (if you exclude the 3 free games)? And some consider the price difference to be a no DRM tax, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

It's $4.99 for me on Steam, so it's not like the $1 difference is a huge price to pay for the lack of DRM. I hope they updated it to a Freedom Force pack for $5.99 though, just so they continue to stay ahead of Steam (even if being behind for a single game isn't the end of the world).

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Weekend deal time! This time it's 30% off some good ol' RPGs: Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Realms of Arkania 1+2 and 3, and Warlords Battlecry 3.

So lessee... Divine Divinity is an excellent open-world Diablo-ish game, albeit with some game mechanics (most notably the buying/selling system) that haven't aged well. Arx Fatalis is basically Ultima Underworld 3, and I love it for that. Don't know about the rest, though Warlords looks like a pretty decent Warcraft 3 clone.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I wholeheartedly reccomend Arx Fatalis for $4.19. As was mentioned, it's Ultima Underworld 3 in all but name. They've even got the runic spell system, but it's gesture-based and remarkably fun to use.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Awesome deal. I recommend all games but Warlords Battlecry, which I heard is good, just not my cup of tea.

"Realms of Arkania" are an incredibly complex, deep and rich RPGs. 2 is still one of my favorite RPGs of all times.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Realms 1 and 2 look vastly different then 3. The combat in 1&2 looks like a strategy game. Do you move around in that same "fallout" type view? I can't stand the early First Person games where you move clunky like the might and magic games.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AxeManiac posted:

Realms 1 and 2 look vastly different then 3. The combat in 1&2 looks like a strategy game. Do you move around in that same "fallout" type view? I can't stand the early First Person games where you move clunky like the might and magic games.
All 3 games have the FP view for getting around and isometric view for combat. I think.

And shame on you for hating on M&M3/4/5.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I just get lost easily in those games before full 3D took over. I hate moving a chunk at a time or whatever. Daggerfall 3D is the best kind of dungeon crawling for me. I like the fallout view or the daggerfall view best.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AxeManiac posted:

Exploring (inside places) around is first person, battle is tactical turn-based isometric. Think FFT, but more complex. Outside the cities, you are looking at a big old-fashioned map.

I get lost easily too, but if I remember correctly, there´s a mini-map.

3 is different because is centered around one city, while in the first two there is a lot of travelling around.

Travelling is actually what I like most about this games: its realistic and full of encounters and interesting things to find. Its also very dangeours, like in no other game Ive ever played: you might find a huge group of trolls that will rape you mercilessly; you might get lost and run out of food; your party members might get sick and die, etc. You will usually travel by day and camp at night, but you will also have to send members to hunt (or you will run out of food fast) and gather herbs (to make medicine for the sick).

Im just remembering how I love this games. So many things to do, so hard and unforgiving, so stupidly realistic. Seriously, play it. there´s nothing like it out there.

2 is by far the best. 3 has some good improvements, but its limited scope makes it less interesting than the others.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 11, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hardcore Gaming did a long, in depth look at Realms of Arkania. I've been saying the game was awesome for 10 years and it's finally getting some recognition after Drakensang came out last year.

Arx Fatalis lacks polish but it seriously is what you'd expect Ultima Underworld 3 to look and play like. Divine Divinity is great (once you get past the first hour) and it's kind of like playing an open world Diablo. Haven't played Warlords Battlecry so I can't say anything about it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

al-azad posted:

I've been saying the game was awesome for 10 years and it's finally getting some recognition after Drakensang came out last year.

Never heard of this game. Is it like Realms of Arkania? Is it good?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Never heard of this game. Is it like Realms of Arkania? Is it good?

It takes place in the same universe (Das Schwarze Auge or The Dark Eye, a long running German pen-n-paper RPG) but it plays completely differently. Closest thing I can use to describe it is Dragon Age except Drakensang's mechanics are more complicated as they're based on an established RPG ruleset. The story is generic but the mechanics, exploration, and world variety kept me interested. I can only recommend it to hardcore RPG fans because of that as it truly does play like an old school RPG with contemporary graphics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

al-azad posted:

It takes place in the same universe (Das Schwarze Auge or The Dark Eye, a long running German pen-n-paper RPG) but it plays completely differently. Closest thing I can use to describe it is Dragon Age except Drakensang's mechanics are more complicated as they're based on an established RPG ruleset. The story is generic but the mechanics, exploration, and world variety kept me interested. I can only recommend it to hardcore RPG fans because of that as it truly does play like an old school RPG with contemporary graphics.

Im sold. Steam has it for 20 bucks, Im buying when i get home.

EDIT: So the combat is real-time, not turn-based? Never played Dragon Age.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Did you ever play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights 1/2? It's that same sort of combat. It's real time in that it plays out in real time, but technically the combat uses turns, rounds, etc. It's also pausable at any time in combat.

Don't go into Drakensang a deep story or anything, though. It's strangely light hearted and the dialogue is almost childish. That's not a bad thing, however. It's just... weird. I've always wondered if it was like that in Germany, too.

Edit: It takes place in a world with one of the better names I've seen: Adventuria.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sankis posted:

Did you ever play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights 1/2? It's that same sort of combat. It's real time in that it plays out in real time, but technically the combat uses turns, rounds, etc. It's also pausable at any time in combat.

Don't go into Drakensang a deep story or anything, though. It's strangely light hearted and the dialogue is almost childish. That's not a bad thing, however. It's just... weird. I've always wondered if it was like that in Germany, too.

Edit: It takes place in a world with one of the better names I've seen: Adventuria.

I see. Well, if the gameplay is good enough, I can easily forget any plot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's a mix. It's like Baldur's Gate or Fallout Tactics where all actions have their own time segments but it happens in real time. You can play the game turn based or real-time with the ability to pause at will.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I just get lost easily in those games before full 3D took over. I hate moving a chunk at a time or whatever. Daggerfall 3D is the best kind of dungeon crawling for me. I like the fallout view or the daggerfall view best.

Well, each Realms of Arkania games handles movement differently. The first game is entirely tile-based 90 degree movement, the second game is full 3D graphics with controls that can be switched between tile-based and free movement, and the third is free movement only. Of the three, the first is the only one that would probably bother you, and it's nowhere near as good as the next two games so it's easy enough to skip anyway.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

sethsez posted:

Well, each Realms of Arkania games handles movement differently. The first game is entirely tile-based 90 degree movement, the second game is full 3D graphics with controls that can be switched between tile-based and free movement, and the third is free movement only. Of the three, the first is the only one that would probably bother you, and it's nowhere near as good as the next two games so it's easy enough to skip anyway.

Thanks, I picked up 1 and 2, will start with 2 for sure. Yet more games to add to the pile, these sales, they make me grab games I haven't even got to downloading yet, let alone playing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Drakensang is loving awesome. One of my favorite RPGs in the past 5 years. It's like $8 on amazon brand new too.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Weekend deal time! This time it's 30% off some good ol' RPGs: Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Realms of Arkania 1+2 and 3, and Warlords Battlecry 3.

So lessee... Divine Divinity is an excellent open-world Diablo-ish game, albeit with some game mechanics (most notably the buying/selling system) that haven't aged well. Arx Fatalis is basically Ultima Underworld 3, and I love it for that. Don't know about the rest, though Warlords looks like a pretty decent Warcraft 3 clone.

You might want to stay away from the GOG version of WBC3. It's a good game, but for some unknown reason they foisted a fan-made mod on the game that makes massive changes to nearly all units and other aspects of gameplay. Some people like it but others (including myself) find the changes to be obnoxious as hell. Caveat emptor here.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I mentioned the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 HD patch a few pages back, but it wasn't compatible with the GoG release at the time. Well, version 2.0 was just released, which has a GoG compatibility pack you can download, so if you have the game, you should get this. It makes it so much better, especially when running on a widescreen monitor.

Edit: After looking into turning this into a WoG package, I found that if you want to use it with WoG, you have to have WoG installed before installing the HD patch (or you'll get errors when trying to run HD WoG) and then you have to run Heroes3HDSetup.exe twice (or you'll get resource errors when trying to run the HD version of the base game). I left a message for the author on the forums where he posted the release, so hopefully he'll look into it. If you don't use WoG, though, this doesn't really matter, since the patch works fine on just the base game alone.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 14, 2010

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

I've played Afterlight and honestly, there's no point in getting it (or Aftermath for that matter) when Aftershock is still on there. It's just tedium to the nth degree and arguably worse than the first game was.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Well, I finally got around to finishing the first Gabriel Knight game today and I have to say it's nice to like an adventure game again. It took me forever to get into but once people started dying, the intensity of the plot really got kicked up a notch and I became mildly obsessed.

Some of the puzzles are bitches, but thankfully the harder ones are just derivatives of the clock puzzle so once you realize that they fall into line. I did not have any trouble at all with the tomb message puzzle since I had used the tape recorder extensively to figure out what fwet kash was. That and the fact that I was lucky enough to figure out that I had to place the tracking device in the coffin first so the game told me I still needed a way to compel Dr. John to take it to the conclave. The tape recorder is an awesome feature and if you're playing the game and get stuck, use it. Other than the usual frustrating pixel hunts, the tape recorded solved almost all my problems for me.

The goriness built up nicely with the plot and felt appropriate. My only real complaint is that there are some challenges that require timely clicking and movement. Some of these are easy and some are unreliable given the point and click format. I was worried at the start that GK would be a pretty one-dimensional character, but thankfully my concern was quickly dispelled.

So I'm probably going to pick up the next sequel, though FMV is offputting to me. It looks well reviewed though, so might as well.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I mentioned the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 HD patch a few pages back, but it wasn't compatible with the GoG release at the time. Well, version 2.0 was just released, which has a GoG compatibility pack you can download, so if you have the game, you should get this. It makes it so much better, especially when running on a widescreen monitor.

Are there any forum threads/screenshots? I wouldn't mind seeing how it looks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Emo Businessman posted:

Are there any forum threads/screenshots? I wouldn't mind seeing how it looks.

Sure, there's a thread here where the author's been making releases. I'll take some quick screenshots to share, too.

OK, here we go. Everything's at 1920x1080, since that's what I'm running.

Map:

Overview map (the new globe icon) at 2x:

Grail map (via the new puzzle piece icon):

Hero info screen:

Town:

Battle:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 14, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overwined posted:

So I'm probably going to pick up the next sequel, though FMV is offputting to me. It looks well reviewed though, so might as well.

Gabriel Knight just isn't the same voiced and acted by someone who's not Tim Curry. Curry even looks a little like GK so I don't know why they didn't cast him. Guess he was too busy starring in lovely mid-90s movies like Mikhail's Navy and Congo.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 14, 2010

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GOG Gameshelf Slimline DVD Case Insert Template (GIMP)

For anyone interested, I've created a general-use DVD slim case insert for showing off your GOG shelf. It's very similar to one I posted earlier for full-sized cases, but I've made the switch to slimlines. The template was made with GIMP (I'm not shelling out for Photoshop, and I'm not that interested in pirating it), and contains basic instructions on how to replace the existing gameshelf graphics with ones of your own. (Fits slim DVD case size 10.5" wide x 7.25" tall, with .25" spine.)

Preview:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zlgg5mym3tl

I'll also be making a template for single games as well, sooner or later, but it'll be pretty similar to this.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 14, 2010

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Sure, there's a thread here where the author's been making releases. I'll take some quick screenshots to share, too.

OK, here we go. Everything's at 1920x1080, since that's what I'm running.

<nice pictures>

Oh man that is _very_ pretty.

In addition to widescreen, does it support windowed mode properly? (without forcing the desktop to 16-bit color or turning off Aero Glass)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just tried changing it to windowed mode and it wanted me to switch to 16-bit color, so it doesn't appear that it does it well, no. The patch author still seems to be working on it, so maybe later, but I don't really know what his plans are for sure.

Edit: Looks like 2.01 was released. It seems to fix the install error if you have both the base game and WoG installed, but you still need to install WoG before the patch. I packed it into a WoG package for easy installation, if anybody cares. Just install it like you would a normal package (put it in your WoG install directory with the rest of the packages and install WoG or in your HoMM3 directory and run h3wupd.exe if you already installed WoG) and it'll pop up the patch tool after it's installed.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 15, 2010

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Emo Businessman posted:

Oh man that is _very_ pretty.

In addition to widescreen, does it support windowed mode properly? (without forcing the desktop to 16-bit color or turning off Aero Glass)

Agreed. Nothing does better justice to an old game than proper scaling or per-pixel display. Thanks for the link, Kreeblah, I just bought HoMM3 and this is a perfect addition.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Overwined posted:

Well, I finally got around to finishing the first Gabriel Knight game today and I have to say it's nice to like an adventure game again.

You won't regret it one second. It will take a moment before you get used to Gabriel's actor but in all honesty the story in The Beast Within is the best one in the series and somehow I love its atmosphere the most. You won't see a huge difference in the level of puzzles from GK1 either.

Oh and it's easily the best all-FMV-based game in existence, I poo poo you not.

Most actors, especially the ones supposedly German, are brilliant. The whole hunting club bit with all its colorful members, sweet clubhouse and the hunting lodge is just so well done, it's all pretty unique for a video game and I get a heavy Twin Peaks vibe out of it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 15, 2010

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Zat posted:

Oh and it's easily the best all-FMV-based game in existence, I poo poo you not.

I find that.. not hard to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Pavol Paska posted:

I find that.. not hard to believe.

Wing Commander 3 and 4.

DISPROVEN