Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
so after the mention of community records i decided to download a few random bands.
most were pretty "meh" but tusker? holy poo poo. triogg is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why are you downloading bands taht aren't Fatter Than Albert?

I'm so loving pumped to see them next month.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So went to a show in Cincinnati on Sunday with my wife. Saw 4 bands that mattered: Green Room Rockers, The, Caroloregians, Thee Moon Invaders, and The Pinstripes. The Caroloregians are basically the Moon Invaders minus the horn section and holy poo poo these guys where good. This was the last show of their first tour here in the US I I can't wait for them to come back. But it was an absolute bitching show and I am loving sore as hell.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was in a ska band in high school. We played a lot of Streetlight covers and wrote a few songs, and I wish we had recorded more than one song, and maybe even recorded the lyrics for that one song

Most of our shows were our friend's parties. We got payed in Ice Cream Cake

The only song we recorded. And just barely. I just put my macbook on the ground and opened garageband while we practiced bluh

And us playing Point/Counterpoint at a friend's birthday. Also Keasbey Nights but they didn't record us doing that I guess bluh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJBlc7TbVBw

Oh and our Tenor player is in a ska band at college called Ska Ska Blacksheep now and they're pretty good I suppose
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ska-Ska-Blacksheep/114229858603454?ref=ts

I miss being in a ska band :smith: It's just too hard to round up 5 more guys who are even into ska let alone play instruments

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I guess this is for any New Yorkers out there:

quote:

This Friday night at Death by Audio in Williamsburg, you'll be getting groovy old school reggae sets from The Hard Times as well as The Heavy Beat (on tour from PA), a full set of Vic Ruggiero, and then a Very Special Episode encore set wherein Vic Ruggiero joins forces with The Hard Times to play some of your favorites from The Clash, The Specials, The Nods plus some gems from Trojan Records and good old rock-n-roll.

Also, I broke down and bought a ticket for the Toh Kay solo acoustic show next week at Joe's Pub. Going to shows in New York is making me poor again.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Times like this I wish I lived near NYC.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
So how should one like myself, who considers himself an athiest, enjoy Five Iron without managing to listen to the words? It's really starting to grate my nerves that nearly every song is about god and jesus.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Either get over it or don't listen to them. I don't think smoking crack is the bee's knees or anything but Choking Victim rules. You don't have to ideologically agree with everything you listen to.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
What Josh said. Five Iron Frenzy is one of my favorite bands just because you can tell that they really believe what they are doing and saying. That's most of the reason why I listen to the bands I do: they're being honest about what they're doing. When they are going through the motions, you can really tell in the quality of the songs they put out. "Every New Day" is one of the most powerful songs I've heard, not because of the lyrics (which are super Christian), but because Reese loving nails it with a passion.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
^^^ agreed. also, all that is good and a flowery song are two of my favorites and they are hardcore god fodder

Cheezymadman posted:

So how should one like myself, who considers himself an athiest, enjoy Five Iron without managing to listen to the words? It's really starting to grate my nerves that nearly every song is about god and jesus.

i fall into just about the same boat as you and i still think five iron owns. basically because it's really loving good music

just listen to the old west, wizard needs food badly, arnold willis & mr. drummond, blue comb, etc. if it bothers you so much

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 17, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just don't think Five Iron is that good

This mystifies people for some reason

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

How are you not used to this for liking ska music in general?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

How are you not used to this for liking ska music in general?

I'm talking even people who like ska don't get it

Most of the time I pacify the people who don't get liking ska at all with "look this poo poo was a huge part of my senior year of high school." Which it was. Rockview is seriously the best album for those last two months of school, and between that and SitB I was rockin' it every time I got in the car.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dickeye posted:

I've never liked them either.
I mean, they have a few good songs, but I'll never own one of their albums.
And I'm okay with that.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

I don't like fatter than albert v:shobon:v

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

I really like Kamikaze and a few other songs from that album. Other than that... eh.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This has been posted on a few boards I frequent:
"SKA IS DEAD 7" of the Month Club!
GET STOKED KIDDIES!!!

Coming this summer from Asbestos Records & Underground Communique! Ordering info coming next week!"

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Any good ska shows coming up in Boston/NYC area?

Also fateo what is that?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm guessing it's going to be just like the NOFX 7" of the month club but with ska bands. Word is list of bands participating will be announced. Some kid said the last time big d came through they played a new song and he asked them about it after the show and they said it would be coming out on a split 7" this summer. Which I'm guessing is this. This is the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7UR2u3W3I

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 17, 2010

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Who even owns a record player anymore?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Any good ska shows coming up in Boston/NYC area?

Also fateo what is that?

Streetlight: 26 Jun - Sayreville, NJ
VENUE: Starland Ballroom
INFO: w/ The Supervillains, The Wonder Years & Dan Potthast

27 Jun - Worcester, MA
VENUE: Palladium
INFO: w/ The Supervillains, The Wonder Years & Dan Potthast

Also, BTMI! is playing at Death By Audio (Brooklyn) this Sunday. Vic Ruggiero is playing Saturday at the same place.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheezymadman posted:

Yeah, I know some people still listen to vinyl but I hope that poo poo comes to iTunes or Amazon or something.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Cheezymadman posted:

Me. Records own. Most of the music I guy now-a-days I get on vinyl if I can. I get mp3's too, but I'd rather have the vinyl than a cd. NOFX did a whole 7" of the month club for an entire year and it was awesome. I can only hope the Ska one goes on for just as long.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

lessthankyle posted:

Also, BTMI! is playing at Death By Audio (Brooklyn) this Sunday.

What?!?! I'm so there.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

lessthankyle posted:

Also, BTMI! is playing at Death By Audio (Brooklyn) this Sunday. Vic Ruggiero is playing Saturday at the same place.

Does anyone here have a method of being in two places at once? I will reimburse you handsomely if you share your secret with me. Contact me at 973-

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Nix86 is also going to be on the 7" of the month club. Stoked for that.

http://www.myspace.com/thenix86
George (High School Football Heroes)
Dave (Edna's Goldfish)
Dave (32 Degrees in Hell)
John (BTMI / ASOB)
JT (ASOB)
Johnny (TFT / We are the Union)
Craig (TFT)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Johnny from TFT loving owns and his ears are gaged like WHOA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I think they have some of the smartest songwriting of any band of that type. The chord progressions, the melodies and harmonies are so well thought out. The only thing I've ever been bothered by is the production of their early albums, where everything is way too tinny and what should be pleasant sounding horn harmony sounds a little grating.

But around All the Hype Money Can Buy they slowly started to figure their studio sound out and then by FIF2: Electric Boogaloo they finally nailed it down.

It doesn't mystify me that someone wouldn't like them. I mean, I loving hate U2 but I can't deny the quality of their writing and musicianship. It's just not my flavor.

But then I hate about 90% of ska too, so

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Ska is Dead 7" of the Month club!

Coming this summer as a joint effort from Asbestos Records, Underground Communique Records, and the nice folks at Skaisdead.com will be an amazing little project that combines our obsession with dead genres and dead formats. Each series will be a set of 6 split 7"s from some of our favorite bands that **gasp** have the audacity to still play ska, and ska influenced punk rock in the year 2010. Available by subscription only, every other month you will receive two brand spanking new 7" records featuring both established, and up and coming acts including Reel Big Fish, Mustard Plug, Big D & the Kids Table, Bomb the Music Industry!, The Slackers, Sonic Boom Six, and more! So get out your dad's old suit, and your mom's old turntable and get stoked for the best 7" club of the year!

How to order:

Go to https://www.skaisdead.bigcartel.com and pledge your undying love and paypal based funds to us.

If you're in the States -- $36ppd
If you're in Canada --$45ppd
If you're in the UK/Austrailia/Japan -- $60
Anywhere else -- hit us up and we'll figure something out for you.

I couldn't order fast enough

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 22, 2010

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Ska is Dead 7" of the Month club!
So looks like no iTunes/Amazon MP3 huh :(

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sure someone will rip the tracks and rehost them online.

Having a digital copy kind of defeats the niche purpose of making 7"s.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

So looks like no iTunes/Amazon MP3 huh :(

Unless something changes, no

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zP4Zz2bbIA Five Iron Frenzy are Neat-o!

Seconding that guy who said that Christian Ska is the best Ska..

ya'know, the guy who said that...

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bosstones summer shows:

http://www.houseofblues.com/tickets/eventdetail.php?eventid=64512
Aug 19th House of Blues Sunset Strip

http://www.livenation.com/Mighty-Mighty-Bosstones-tickets/artist/741500
Aug 24th Irving Plaza New York, NY

All that's been announced so far

Note: For the Irving Plaza show it says the support band is H20. The Bosstones have said that is not the case and don't know why it says it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Reel Big Fish is coming out with their own greatest hits album.
http://www.antimusic.com/news/10/june/re24Reel_Big_Fish_Announce_A_Best_Of_Us_For_The_Rest_Us.shtml

I can't wait for the acoustic stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And everything is re-recorded, woo

I'm tempted to actually get this, just for the few songs I want studio versions of that aren't on Turn the Radio Off

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
All of you except Josh Wow have the dumbest opinions of ska. Also, Suicide Machines are playing The Fest this year. So plan to hit up Florida in the fall.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

loldance posted:

All of you except Josh Wow have the dumbest opinions of ska. Also, Suicide Machines are playing The Fest this year. So plan to hit up Florida in the fall.

OH MY FARKING GOURD! Prepare to have me crashing with you to watch THE loving SUICIDE MACHINES AGAIN poo poo

Also Descendents rumored to play the Fest although probably not gonna happen. I will poo poo my pants if they do though gently caress.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 25, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

OH MY FARKING GOURD! Prepare to have me crashing with you to watch THE loving SUICIDE MACHINES AGAIN poo poo

Also Descendents rumored to play the Fest although probably not gonna happen. I will poo poo my pants if they do though gently caress.

Jesus gently caress if they play I'm gonna have to drive to Florida

Holy poo poo

Descendents are pretty much the only name on my "see this band before I die" list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
If you're not going to Fest anyway, you're loving doing it wrong.