Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, German digibooks are way cooler than what we get over here. Each one has a 20+ page essay on the production of the film (at least that's what I think they're about - can't read German :saddowns:)

Also got Blade Runner, Beowulf, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight because I am a retard who enjoys wasting money on pointless double-dips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why exactly do Shoot Em Up, John Rambo, and Beowulf have digibooks?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

Why exactly do Shoot Em Up, John Rambo, and Beowulf have digibooks?

Because suckers like doctor thodt will buy them

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're collector's items v:shobon:v

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Oh man I can only imagine how awesome the Blade Runner one is.

I've quadruple-dipped Blade Runner and I've never once regretted it.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

RichterIX posted:

Oh man I can only imagine how awesome the Blade Runner one is.

I've quadruple-dipped Blade Runner and I've never once regretted it.
I dunno - it looks like the Premium Edition is only the stand-alone Final Cut as already distributed in the EU, so it seems to me the US multi-disc, multi-cut edition is still the ultimate release.

I don't know this for sure, but I have to assume that these so-called "Premium Editions" digibooks are exactly the same discs stuck into a new fancy package. If you don't already own these on Blu, that's one thing, but at some point I think you might need to take a step back and review your collector's mentality!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
2 weeks later my Life bluray has arrived from Barnes and Noble.

First, it looks 10 times better than the Discovery HD broadcast, which itself was pretty. Second, I was one of very few, if not the only, person in the TVIV thread who didn't necessarily mind Oprah's narration, but Mother of Christ, I could listen to David Attenborough read tax law and I'd be on the edge of my seat with childlike wonder.

What I'm saying is, this is the best $40 you'll ever spend on a bluray. And it's a 4-disc set, 10 hours long.

On a related note, I also bought IMAX Blue Planet (at 40 minutes long for $25). Not very good. :( However, it includes "The Dream is Alive" which was the movie I saw at the NASA museum in Huntsville, AL a million years ago when I was a kid. And it is the most 80's thing ever. I loved it.

So if Blue Planet is the flagship IMAX documentary, I'm kind of wary of the quality of the rest. Especially at those prices.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
DVDBeaver on The White Ribbon

quote:

Without the slightest hint of hyperbole, I can honestly say that this might be the best looking blu-ray that I've ever come across.

Can't loving wait.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

DVDBeaver on The White Ribbon

Can't loving wait.

Wasn't this posted like a month ago?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Maybe, I have a terrible memory for this sort of thing.

EDIT: I didn't find anything other than my own Amazon link to the blu-ray. No review though. Yes, my time is this worthless that I just combed like 10 pages looking for a mention.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 15, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

It was the last thread :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2061855&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=332#post376232522

I imagine the Sony release will be equally beautiful, if not even superior to the UK version.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

BajaBurrito posted:

I dunno - it looks like the Premium Edition is only the stand-alone Final Cut as already distributed in the EU, so it seems to me the US multi-disc, multi-cut edition is still the ultimate release.

I don't know this for sure, but I have to assume that these so-called "Premium Editions" digibooks are exactly the same discs stuck into a new fancy package. If you don't already own these on Blu, that's one thing, but at some point I think you might need to take a step back and review your collector's mentality!

Oh, yeah, I was just saying the packaging probably looks really cool. I don't think I'll be actually buying another copy of Blade Runner for a good long while. Having multiple copies across multiple media is one thing, I don't think I'm ready to start double-dipping within blu-ray yet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ah, I just received my Lady Vengeance (with bonus eBayable Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and collector's tin).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

Ah, I just received my Lady Vengeance (with bonus eBayable Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and collector's tin).

Is it from the general-release June 15th wave, or the Best Buy exclusive from mid-March? If it's the "new" one, can you check if Oldboy now has lossless audio? If it does, I'd buy it from you.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the new Predator Blu-Ray sure is, uh, interesting...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/606b8b84038010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Holy poo poo, that's even worse than Patton. He looks airbrushed. And smug about it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Is it from the general-release June 15th wave, or the Best Buy exclusive from mid-March? If it's the "new" one, can you check if Oldboy now has lossless audio? If it does, I'd buy it from you.

It's the new one. Audio options listed are:

Korean: Dolby Digital-EX 5.1 Surround
Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
English: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

That's the best metal shirt I've ever seen.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

It's the new one. Audio options listed are:

Korean: Dolby Digital-EX 5.1 Surround
Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
English: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Is that on the back cover, or from the actual disc when you play it? If that's from the actual disc, well I guess you didn't get a fixed copy.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Harlock posted:

That's the best metal shirt I've ever seen.
It looks like a video game cut scene.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

doctor thodt posted:

He looks like his own waxwork model.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

:laugh:

That is the greatest.

- edit
Click here for the full 1094x724 image.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 16, 2010

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Haha, it's like they want to punish people for complaining about the first release.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
:aaaaa:

WTF? What's the source for the comparison image? The original Blu or DVD or VHS or some fourth thing?

Welp, guess I'll strike that one off my buy list.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the original BD, which always got an unfairly bad rap. Granted it's a rather lackluster MPEG-2 transfer, but it's a hell of a lot more representative of what the movie should look like than this shiny new turd.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Oh my god it looks like Waking Life.

loving something up that bad seems like it would take a lot of work. What kind of a weirdie thought that up?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If it smears, then we can kill it.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

God help me, I caved and bought a modified Oppo BDP-83. I was browsing Amazon France and despairing that I couldn't buy movies like Bright Star and A Very Long Engagement, so my solution? Spend $500 on a new Blu-Ray player, so I can then spend hundreds of more dollars on these damned things :buddy:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

penismightier posted:

Oh my god it looks like Waking Life.

loving something up that bad seems like it would take a lot of work. What kind of a weirdie thought that up?

Knowing Fox, it was probably Tom Rothman's idea.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Bambi posted:

God help me, I caved and bought a modified Oppo BDP-83. I was browsing Amazon France and despairing that I couldn't buy movies like Bright Star and A Very Long Engagement, so my solution? Spend $500 on a new Blu-Ray player, so I can then spend hundreds of more dollars on these damned things :buddy:

Best $500 you have ever spent.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just bought The African Queen, There Will Be Blood, and Bonnie and Clyde from Amazon. The first is $16.49, the other two are $15.49. Also got Doctor Zhivago for $21.99 and Gone with the Wind (3-disc Scarlett Edition) for $26.99 from Deep Discount.

I normally don't like double dipping this much, but there's not going to be deals this good for a while.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Are you going to check out the "Fade to Black" cut? If so, post a review in the "Rate" thread. I've always been curious about it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Just bought The African Queen, There Will Be Blood, and Bonnie and Clyde from Amazon. The first is $16.49, the other two are $15.49. Also got Doctor Zhivago for $21.99 and Gone with the Wind (3-disc Scarlett Edition) for $26.99 from Deep Discount.

I normally don't like double dipping this much, but there's not going to be deals this good for a while.

gently caress, do you know how long those prices will last? I start making money on Thursday and I've been waiting for a reasonable price on There Will Be Blood ever since I started buying.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just saw an ad on TV promoting the Avatar blu-ray. "Available for a limited time"

Why, exactly? Are they pulling the bare-bones edition from shelves once the super-ginormo edition arrives, or is James Cameron putting it in his own private Disney-esque vault?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jay Dub posted:

I just saw an ad on TV promoting the Avatar blu-ray. "Available for a limited time"

Why, exactly? Are they pulling the bare-bones edition from shelves once the super-ginormo edition arrives, or is James Cameron putting it in his own private Disney-esque vault?

It's a Fox release, so I would say "they're going to pull it, then rerelease it without any features at the same price and in shittier packaging."

Except, there are no features.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It's a Fox release, so I would say "they're going to pull it, then rerelease it without any features at the same price and in shittier packaging."

Except, there are no features.

Maybe they can give it the Predator remastering treatment!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

Are you going to check out the "Fade to Black" cut? If so, post a review in the "Rate" thread. I've always been curious about it.

:viggo: "Fade to White"

I dunno, I haven't decided yet. I'm curious about it too, but it seems like a shame to do that to such wonderful cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

:viggo: "Fade to White"

I dunno, I haven't decided yet. I'm curious about it too, but it seems like a shame to do that to such wonderful cinematography.

I watched it and it was clearly a fade to black AND white. :viggo:

• Locked thread