Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My husband and his mom danced to "Loves Me Like a Rock" by Paul Simon (and my father and I did Paul Simon too, "Father-Daughter Reunion").

PS: I suck at dancing too, but it was a lot of fun because the song was so upbeat and sweet and fun. My husband said the same about his dance with his mom (they both suck at dancing...)

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

FairGame posted:

Can someone please recommend a mother-son dance song that's:

a.) Not incredibly sappy
b.) Not > like 3 minutes because I am a disastrous dancer and will likely break my poor mom's ankles

Long time lurker, first time poster:

My first thought was "A Song for My Son" but then I remembered your first rule and that song is on the sap-level of "There is Love (The Wedding Song)" by Paul Stookey.

As for serious recommendations, two of the most popular I've seen in the past are "Song for Mama" by Boyz II Men and "Mama" by Connie Francis.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
We combined the mother-son and father-daughter dances and all danced to Louis Armstrong singing "Sunrise, Sunset." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CWgQQGyr4

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
JohnnyRnR put together an engagement ring for me, using a custom design, and I wanted to post it here. The idea was to put together a specific celtic design that my gf loves, and also to incorporate her favorite color, blue.

Johnny's suggestion was to pair some sapphires, as blue diamonds were out of my price range. The results are below.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I should put up the image I gave him when I get home.

He got this made off literally the worst MSPaint concept image anyone has ever seen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Oh god, my wedding shoes came today and I'm completely in love with them! I ordered them online from the UK (I live in the US) and they're absolutely perfect.

http://www.schuh.co.uk/stone-irregular-choice-cortesan-floral-bar-court/1106011150/

So now all I have to do is relearn how to walk in 4 inch heels.... :doh: I think I'm getting a pair of flats to wear at the reception for when all the photos / first dance stuff is done.

We're down to 3 months to the wedding and things are going great. Our shower is this weekend, I don't dig the whole girls only thing so we invited all of the guests, male and female, that are invited to the wedding and my Mom rented out a skating rink. My bridesmaid and sister-in-law are planning the whole thing and it's a rock and roll roller derby shower. I'm so totally stoked, it's going to be awesome. The invites my sis-in-law sent out are neon green flyers with a roller derby girl kicking a wedding cake in half. I love her so much.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

JohnnyRnR put together an engagement ring for me, using a custom design, and I wanted to post it here. The idea was to put together a specific celtic design that my gf loves, and also to incorporate her favorite color, blue.

Johnny's suggestion was to pair some sapphires, as blue diamonds were out of my price range. The results are below.

Similar to my ring from Jared. Gotta love the sapphire side stones! :

I propose next month, going to Cannon beach. I'm nervous, but not, if that makes sense.

P.S. Thanks to this thread, I was able to save 500-800 dollars!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Naked Man Punch posted:

As for serious recommendations, two of the most popular I've seen in the past are "Song for Mama" by Boyz II Men

Cool. Thanks!

...now if only I could recruit people from this thread to attach a bunch of stickers with a stylized letter "A" (it's both our initials) on the bottoms of 900 Hershey's kisses/hugs/almonds/whatevers :p

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm hoping for some advice on how to deal with a difficult situation regarding the rehearsal dinner, coming up in a little over a month. Background: The wedding will be in my fiance's hometown, a good two-day drive from where my mother (who's doing the dinner,) my fiance and I live now, so a lot of the planning is being done long-distance. Her family has offered up their house/backyard for a big pary, but Mom's refused. She's said she wants it to be at a restaurant and I think she's finally decided on a local place recommended by my fiance.

The problem is with the guest list. She's told me that certain people aren't going to be invited to the rehearsal dinner, including:

- My fiance's brother, who's doing almost all the emceeing/DJing for the reception
- My aunt/mom's sister's husband and daughter
- The pastor and his wife (who are close family friends of my fiance's family.)

She's said the brother/aunt's husband+daughter are not invited because they're not officially part of the wedding party (My aunt's son, who is in the party, has been invited - as well as grandparents, who aren't doing anything) and she claims she's 'never heard of' the officiant being invited to the dinner, so he's not coming. She says the issue is being able to pay for their food, but she won't accept anyone else paying their way, us helping her with the bill, or changing the venue/food choices/eliminating the alcohol (when only 4-5 people there will be drinking) to allow for more people to attend.

My fiance is devastated and has said she won't attend if her brother isn't there (she also feels the same way about the other exclusions, but her brother hits her the hardest since he treated us very, very well at his wedding last year.) If she doesn't go, her side of the family will likely follow suit and the night before the ceremony is going to be a giant drama explosion.

I'm not sure what to do. My mother seems adamant on not changing anything and says my fiance is being a spoiled brat by wanting those people to attend. My fiance feels like it would be abandoning her brother if she attended without him. I'm being forced into a middleman role, since my mother won't talk to my fiance (or anyone else, really.) Any advice on how to resolve this?

EDIT: The current dinner size is 14. Mom claims a budget of $400 will barely be enough. We've spoken to the people at the restaurant and they quoted us under $300 for 20 people (a figure mom disputes, for whatever reason.)

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 15, 2010

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

CubsWoo posted:

I'm hoping for some advice on how to deal with a difficult situation regarding the rehearsal dinner, coming up in a little over a month. Background: The wedding will be in my fiance's hometown, a good two-day drive from where my mother (who's doing the dinner,) my fiance and I live now, so a lot of the planning is being done long-distance. Her family has offered up their house/backyard for a big pary, but Mom's refused. She's said she wants it to be at a restaurant and I think she's finally decided on a local place recommended by my fiance.

The problem is with the guest list. She's told me that certain people aren't going to be invited to the rehearsal dinner, including:

- My fiance's brother, who's doing almost all the emceeing/DJing for the reception
- My aunt/mom's sister's husband and daughter
- The pastor and his wife (who are close family friends of my fiance's family.)

She's said the brother/aunt's husband+daughter are not invited because they're not officially part of the wedding party (My aunt's son, who is in the party, has been invited - as well as grandparents, who aren't doing anything) and she claims she's 'never heard of' the officiant being invited to the dinner, so he's not coming. She says the issue is being able to pay for their food, but she won't accept anyone else paying their way, us helping her with the bill, or changing the venue/food choices/eliminating the alcohol (when only 4-5 people there will be drinking) to allow for more people to attend.

My fiance is devastated and has said she won't attend if her brother isn't there (she also feels the same way about the other exclusions, but her brother hits her the hardest since he treated us very, very well at his wedding last year.) If she doesn't go, her side of the family will likely follow suit and the night before the ceremony is going to be a giant drama explosion.

I'm not sure what to do. My mother seems adamant on not changing anything and says my fiance is being a spoiled brat by wanting those people to attend. My fiance feels like it would be abandoning her brother if she attended without him. I'm being forced into a middleman role, since my mother won't talk to my fiance (or anyone else, really.) Any advice on how to resolve this?

EDIT: The current dinner size is 14. Mom claims a budget of $400 will barely be enough. We've spoken to the people at the restaurant and they quoted us under $300 for 20 people (a figure mom disputes, for whatever reason.)

Just out of curiosity, when you plan on marrying your fiancee are you going to start supporting your wife, or are you going to continue to act like a giant man baby who will sacrifice your marriage for the sake of avoiding a confrontation with your mom? What I'm trying to say here is that your mom is completely out of line and your fiancee is a fool if she marries someone who puts her in the position you've just put her in. You need to tell your mom you're either including these people, or you'll host your own rehearsal dinner. Then you need to apologize to your fiancee.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Emasculatrix posted:

Just out of curiosity, when you plan on marrying your fiancee are you going to start supporting your wife, or are you going to continue to act like a giant man baby who will sacrifice your marriage for the sake of avoiding a confrontation with your mom? What I'm trying to say here is that your mom is completely out of line and your fiancee is a fool if she marries someone who puts her in the position you've just put her in. You need to tell your mom you're either including these people, or you'll host your own rehearsal dinner. Then you need to apologize to your fiancee.

So far all the confrontation has gone through me - I've been firm with her that I want those people there as well. Sorry for not including that! Before posting this, I spoke with her (since, again, she won't discuss this with my fiance) and told her we weren't going if they weren't invited. Her response was basically "Fine, if you don't want to accept what I'm able to do for you, you're both spoiled and ungrateful and you don't have to be there."

The basic plan is to do something ourselves, but I'd prefer this to be salvaged.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

CubsWoo posted:

So far all the confrontation has gone through me - I've been firm with her that I want those people there as well. Sorry for not including that! Before posting this, I spoke with her (since, again, she won't discuss this with my fiance) and told her we weren't going if they weren't invited. Her response was basically "Fine, if you don't want to accept what I'm able to do for you, you're both spoiled and ungrateful and you don't have to be there."

The basic plan is to do something ourselves, but I'd prefer this to be salvaged.

It sounds like as long as your mom is in charge, it can't be salvaged. By your quotes, it's clear she doesn't respect either of you or your wishes. You should consider having a catered dinner at your fiancee's family's house, and inviting your mother on the condition she remember her manners.

Button
Mar 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

I just wanted to point out that in situations like this, it is supposed to be YOU who is talking to your mother and not your fiancée. Although it sounds like it is your fiancée who is being hurt the most by this situation, it is your mother who is causing the problem. If it was her family making trouble, then it would be her job to speak to them. Although you are siding with your fiancée and standing up to your mom, it also sounds as if you wish everyone would just leave you out of it. If you aren't doing it already, you need to get firm with your mom. REALLY firm.

Proper etiquette for a rehearsal dinner is that everyone involved in the ceremony, including the officiant and their significant other, as well as all immediate family needs to be invited. This definitely includes the brother in question. As for the aunt, etc they don't need to be invited, but it would probably cause more drama if they were not. The only way that this can be salvaged is by you taking control away from your mom and doing it the correct way.

And just a thought. Do you really want to run the risk of pissing off the officiant who is supposed to marry you the next day? That could go horribly wrong.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Emasculatrix posted:

It sounds like as long as your mom is in charge, it can't be salvaged. By your quotes, it's clear she doesn't respect either of you or your wishes. You should consider having a catered dinner at your fiancee's family's house, and inviting your mother on the condition she remember her manners.

I think she sees this in a totally rear end-backwards way. To her, it's her party, it's her responsibility, therefore she sets the rules and the guest list, and the people getting married just shut up and accept what she gives us. Why would anyone feel this way about somebody else's wedding? Maybe it's wedding envy or something, I don't know, she never talks about when she got married.

Button posted:

Although you are siding with your fiancée and standing up to your mom, it also sounds as if you wish everyone would just leave you out of it. If you aren't doing it already, you need to get firm with your mom. REALLY firm.

I plan on it, and I'm fully aware that being firm is going to lead to her refusing to come to any sort of rehearsal dinner, or the wedding itself. I'd love it if she'd come to her senses and compromise, but she's never really been that kind of person. To be honest, it's been a rough road even getting her to confirm she'll be there and I'm almost positive this will put that in jeopardy. She's some of the only family on my side that's able to make the wedding, so it's important to me that she comes (and I can only hope she realizes the wedding is more important than whatever her vision of this dinner would be.)

quote:

Proper etiquette for a rehearsal dinner is that everyone involved in the ceremony, including the officiant and their significant other, as well as all immediate family needs to be invited. This definitely includes the brother in question. As for the aunt, etc they don't need to be invited, but it would probably cause more drama if they were not. The only way that this can be salvaged is by you taking control away from your mom and doing it the correct way.

The aunt is part of a 4-person family - her, her husband, and 2 kids, boy/girl. She and her son are in the wedding party, but the husband and daughter are not and I think that's unacceptable. I did tell my mother that she'd need to look my niece in the eye and say she can't go to the dinner - her response was "Kids need to get used to disappointment." She's usually very sweet to that part of the family, so I'm not sure if this is wedding stress or something beyond that.

quote:

And just a thought. Do you really want to run the risk of pissing off the officiant who is supposed to marry you the next day? That could go horribly wrong.

Not really an issue, honestly. The officiant is the former pastor of the church we're getting married in, and has basically promised since my fiancee was four or five that he'd officiate her wedding if it were held in her hometown.

Tomorrow, I'll take everyone's advice and lay down the law with mom. I don't think it'll be received well, but doing nothing isn't going to solve anything either.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 15, 2010

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think your guest for the rehearsal dinner is totally reasonable.

CubsWoo posted:

Tomorrow, I'll take everyone's advice and lay down the law with mom. I don't think it'll be received well, but doing nothing isn't going to solve anything either.
At this point, I would tell her that, unless she invites who you want to be there, you, nor any one else, will be showing up at the rehearsal dinner your mother is planning. Take up your fiancee's family offer and have the rehearsal dinner in their home/backyard.

I really think it's ultimatum time.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gvibes posted:

I think your guest for the rehearsal dinner is totally reasonable.

At this point, I would tell her that, unless she invites who you want to be there, you, nor any one else, will be showing up at the rehearsal dinner your mother is planning. Take up your fiancee's family offer and have the rehearsal dinner in their home/backyard.

I really think it's ultimatum time.

Seconded. It's not her wedding. She either goes along with what you and your fiancee want, or she doesn't go at all. I'm sorry it's such a bad situation.

Seriously, what the hell is it about these things that turns mothers into terrible human beings?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

CubsWoo posted:

Rehearsal dinner drama

I remember your earlier post about honeymoon registries. I agreed with your mom's sentiment but as I read back over that post and these more current ones, I was able to see things in a different light in regards to her behavior. (I totally missed the part where she was threatening not to tell your relatives about the honeymoon registry.)

It sounds like she's very concerned with doing what's "proper" but is overstepping etiquette with some other (more personal) issues she might have. What is her view on marriage in general? What about your pending marriage in particular? Have you always been close with your mom or has there always been tension?

It might help to take your mom out for a special lunch and just talk to her. Have a real heart to heart. Is she still married herself? Maybe she had some bad experiences in love and is just trying to make sure you have a good start. It's unfortunate that she isn't listening to what you want, and maybe if you give her some attention and let her know that you care about her opinion (while making it clear that you will host the wedding that you want), she might ease up a bit.

Or maybe she's just someone who likes to be in charge and can't stand having to stand back a bit. I'd like to think that there is no person in the world who won't come around when shown a little bit of compassion and given some good food, but I've been proven wrong before about a lot of things.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

vanessa posted:

It sounds like she's very concerned with doing what's "proper" but is overstepping etiquette with some other (more personal) issues she might have. What is her view on marriage in general? What about your pending marriage in particular? Have you always been close with your mom or has there always been tension?

She's nearly 20 years widowed, married my father back in the mid-70s until he passed in 1991, hasn't remarried (or really been in any relationships) since. She still tells me she's not sure we should get married despite a nearly eight-year relationship so far, mostly because she's afraid I'll completely abandon my current life and become a house husband/cuckolded man and turn my back on my side of the family once we're officially married.

She holds a lot of deep grudges too, I think. She still brings up times when I was 9-10, right after my father died, where (in grief) I said I'd wished she died instead of him. She hates my fiancee's side of the family for helping us with financial support in 2003-2004 when we needed it. In a way, I think she's bitter and jealous that her family is better off than she is and have the ability to do more for her than she can for me. We've drifted between being close and distant for the last few years (recently much closer) but she's still very distant from my fiancee and won't talk to her parents at all. The only conversation she's had with my fiancee's parents ended after about three minutes and it wasn't very cordial on her end.

As for the wedding, since we don't have a house and three cars and we aren't both making six-figure incomes, we're not 'ready' to be married yet. When I bring up that she married at age 20 as a college dropout, well, that was a different time.

quote:

Or maybe she's just someone who likes to be in charge and can't stand having to stand back a bit. I'd like to think that there is no person in the world who won't come around when shown a little bit of compassion and given some good food, but I've been proven wrong before about a lot of things.

I did speak with her again today - well, not so much 'speak' as 'called her and listened to a five-minute monologue about how nobody else is flexible before I could say hello.' In her eyes, she's had to 'stand by and allow' our relationship/us living together against what she wants, but now that she's making the rules about a dinner, nobody wants to just accept and be gracious regarding what she's doing. As I was typing this, she called back and is now threatening to not go to the wedding at all. Fantastic!

We've got time, so I'm hoping this fence can be mended in some way. If not, well, I don't control her. If she doesn't want to be a part of this new family, she doesn't have to. Her loss.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

We've got time, so I'm hoping this fence can be mended in some way. If not, well, I don't control her. If she doesn't want to be a part of this new family, she doesn't have to. Her loss.

Hopefully your fiancée's family is still extending the offer of using their backyard for the rehearsal dinner. My approach to it would be to take them up on that, invite who you want, include your mom in the invitation, but be prepared for a boycott.

It sucks that she's being difficult, but the last thing you need on a pretty complicated couple days is someone actively trying to make things go poorly.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CubsWoo posted:

As I was typing this, she called back and is now threatening to not go to the wedding at all. Fantastic!

Brutal. You're doing the right thing, though.

My own parents (well, my mom; my poor dad was just getting dragged along) did something similar with my brother's wedding 6 years ago. Eventually my brother was able to talk her out of skipping with the "do you really want to miss your son's wedding just to prove a point?"

Wait until she cools down, and try that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

As for the wedding, since we don't have a house and three cars and we aren't both making six-figure incomes, we're not 'ready' to be married yet.

That's come up on my end as well. How important is it to have a lot of cash when you're in your mid-twenties and just want to show your commitment to someone by getting married?

So, serious post-wedding question I guess; is it wildly important to have a lot of savings or something before getting married? Is it generally expected to immediately buy a house after gettin' hitched?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

CalamityKate posted:

Hopefully your fiancée's family is still extending the offer of using their backyard for the rehearsal dinner. My approach to it would be to take them up on that, invite who you want, include your mom in the invitation, but be prepared for a boycott.

It sucks that she's being difficult, but the last thing you need on a pretty complicated couple days is someone actively trying to make things go poorly.

They are - they've been totally cool about the whole thing. We've told them that if my mom doesn't shape up by the 4th of July (our wedding's at the end of the month) to start getting BBQ fixings all set up. It'll cost like $150 and everyone will be invited, not just wedding party.

Bewildrbeast posted:

So, serious post-wedding question I guess; is it wildly important to have a lot of savings or something before getting married? Is it generally expected to immediately buy a house after gettin' hitched?

We could probably do a down payment, but I wouldn't buy a house right now in this economy.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bewildrbeast posted:

That's come up on my end as well. How important is it to have a lot of cash when you're in your mid-twenties and just want to show your commitment to someone by getting married?

Thankfully, nobody ever questioned our marriage since we'd been together for over 6 years when we got engaged. But I do constantly get the question, especially from his mother, about when we're going to get a house. I don't know how many times I can tell her that we're trying to pay down some of our debt & get in a more comfortable place financially before we add a mortgage to the equation. So yes, people will expect you to immediately buy a house, but it's by no means a pre-requisite to getting married. :) We're doing just fine in our apartment, thank you very much.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Bewildrbeast posted:

Not in this economy, I'd hope. We'll be living our glamorous post-wedding life in the same low-cost apartment with the same roommate. These days, most people in their twenties have massive college loans to pay back, and I don't think anyone's going to pressure them to buy something even bigger to pay back.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone proposed with a super nontraditional ring? My g/f is pretty awesome and sometime I will propose to her, but she doesn't want a normal ring. No diamonds or a chunk of rock sticking out. She just wants a nice simple ring.

Any suggestion? I've been looking at a variety of wood rings around titanium, but that's about it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

TLG James posted:

Has anyone proposed with a super nontraditional ring? My g/f is pretty awesome and sometime I will propose to her, but she doesn't want a normal ring. No diamonds or a chunk of rock sticking out. She just wants a nice simple ring.

Any suggestion? I've been looking at a variety of wood rings around titanium, but that's about it.

I got a big fuckoff emerald in what would normally be a diamond setting for my lady. If she just doesn't dig diamonds, you should be able to get any gem put in a traditional diamond setting.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
My fiancee and I bought two of these for each other:

...and then I bought her one of these:

We first saw the wooden rings together and kind of bought them impulsively. About a month later I saw the silver ring online and it was something she had furiously scoured the internet for in hopes of getting but never found anything close. I just got lucky finding it randomly while surfing. I ended up buying it in secret and super surprised her with it one day. She has both but wears the silver ring more.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

TLG James posted:

My ring is a gold band carved with oak leaves with a small tsavorite garnet. What's cool is we found wedding bands on Etsy.com that will match it pretty well and they're being made right now. :)

Now, for a stress rant: Has anyone else ordered a dress from David's Bridal? How long did it take to come in? I ordered mine April 23rd and they told me it'd be in the first week of June. So after that came and went I called again and now it's July 15th. My wedding is August 21st, and I have no idea what alterations I need done. I also haven't been able to get ahold of my maid of honor to make sure she's got a dress, so I have no clue if she's found or ordered one yet. We also have no idea what we're doing for ceremony music at this point because I cannot get ahold of anyone at the drat church. Either emails aren't returned or when they are we're given the wrong phone numbers to call. Oh yeah and I found out that all the NASCAR and Budweiser decor in the hall we rented out for the reception(the only place in his hometown save for the Fireman's park which has no air conditioning in the building) cannot be taken down so I have to find a way to cover it all up :suicide:

I don't even want to think of how stressed I'm going to be right before the wedding.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Chajara posted:

Now, for a stress rant: Has anyone else ordered a dress from David's Bridal? How long did it take to come in? I ordered mine April 23rd and they told me it'd be in the first week of June. So after that came and went I called again and now it's July 15th. My wedding is August 21st, and I have no idea what alterations I need done. I also haven't been able to get ahold of my maid of honor to make sure she's got a dress, so I have no clue if she's found or ordered one yet. We also have no idea what we're doing for ceremony music at this point because I cannot get ahold of anyone at the drat church. Either emails aren't returned or when they are we're given the wrong phone numbers to call. Oh yeah and I found out that all the NASCAR and Budweiser decor in the hall we rented out for the reception(the only place in his hometown save for the Fireman's park which has no air conditioning in the building) cannot be taken down so I have to find a way to cover it all up :suicide:

I don't even want to think of how stressed I'm going to be right before the wedding.

I can't speak from the David's Bridal standpoint, but I'm also getting married August 21, so I'll attack this from the timeline standpoint.

I also have not heard from my MOH about her dress, but our agreement was this: if she couldn't find a dress by June 15 (yesterday), I would find one for her and she has to accept it. I wouldn't pull an ultimatum quite yet, since most attendant dresses are worn off the rack. But the next time you call/email, ask if she needs your help/if it would be easier for you to send her a few options to choose from.

For your dress, I would be putting the pressure on them to get it delivered sooner. Their business is wedding gowns, and there's no reason for them not to have it when promised. The alterations themselves will take at least one week per round of alterations (times however many rounds of alterations you need). I got my dress from a small boutique, and my timeline was:

- Early to mid January: Found and ordered dress
- Early to mid May: Dress arrived at the boutique
- May 27: First fitting
- June 12: Second fitting
- June 22: Final fitting and I'm taking my dress with me.

I needed three total fittings because my bodice couldn't be altered until we saw how much the skirt needed to be hemmed, you might need only two fittings if you have a closer to cut size. I'm taking it this early because I'm going home for another event next week and it makes more sense to hand it off to my sister who can store it for me until August. I don't plan on crash dieting before the wedding, so I shouldn't need any refinements.

So stay calm, but put the pressure on them. If they can't get your dress delivered by the end of this month, make sure you get a discount on your alterations.

arsonic
Apr 28, 2003

dork.

TLG James posted:

I don't know how untraditional/not flashy you want to go, but this is my wedding/engagement ring:

Click here for the full 668x600 image.

It's a black diamond on blackened silver off Etsy. Normally the seller uses a white diamond, but they do custom requests. Apparently the silver turns more gray over time so the diamond will show up more, which I think will be sort of cool. And if not, I like my stealth diamond. It sort of represents our relationship to me- we're both not very "romantic" people but we both know we love each other and we make each other incredibly happy, and it shows more and more the longer we are together :3: My boyfriend is getting one of the plain black tungsten bands.

We're just walking into a courthouse and going out with friends to a bar to celebrate, though, so we're probably about as simple/low maintenance as you can possibly get. There are a lot of other cool options on Etsy though- wood, titanium, etc.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TLG James posted:

I'm actually having trouble with this myself - I have a specific design I'm trying to have made, and damned if I can find anyone capable of making it. (Wood band with inset for 14K gold weave and stone settings, 8-10x 0.1CT green moissanite (or other hard green stones) evenly placed in settings in the metal weave.

Basically, a wooden ring with the pattern from the link below set into it in metal somehow.
http://www.celticring.com/Celtic-Continuity-Diamond-Wedding-Rings-LG-WED73-p/celtic-wedding-rings-lg-wed73.htm

I keep hitting dead ends from everyone, basically. Danged metal-wood-stone hybrids! :)

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

TLG James posted:

My non-traditional engagement ring:

My grandma died shortly before the wedding, so I also got her more traditional engagement ring, and wear that.

For my wedding ring, I got this one from Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/SpiritJoyDesigns) and I quite like it

Oh, and my wedding happened! June 5th, yo.

as you can see, very low budget and not very traditional, but it was so much fun
maid of honor/bff, moi, sexy man and his "best man" which his family found pretty confusing

me and my family being all blurry

My sister's gift to us was to make ALL the dessert:

Signing our lives away:

His grandfather performed the ceremony and it was really awesome. We asked for it not to be too religious or traditional, and he wrote a short speech and also had a Native American blessing to say at the end. Ryan crushed my hand during the whole thing - I thought he was going to faint.

we were so lucky to be surrounded by such mature and tasteful adults

the natural response when my mom says: Abby, smile!

this table was constantly surrounded by, well, everyone - especially the under 15 crowd

hopefully someone else got a better picture of this and will give it to me at some point - he managed to rub frosting in my hair :wtf:

he's just so *dreamy* (my sister made a whoopee pie cake just for him)

we put a few containers of play dough at every table, and people periodically came up with offerings of strange creatures...

me and my bro, also a goon

it was a good-sized hall that we got for a great price!

my aunt and her vaginanose

we were pretty tired by this point...

yep, going to leave it with "pretty tired"

my mom and maid of honor did all the flower arranging

we even had a small party for the local squirrel population :lol:

We handed out a bunch of disposable cameras, but haven't gotten those developed yet. So some pictures may come in the future?

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

TLG James posted:

I haven't gotten it in yet, but this is the ring I ordered. My fiance got a matching ring from there as well. You can get that style from tons of other places in more colors and metals, but I really like the titanium ones instead of the brighter metals.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Received my ring from JohnnyRnR today, I linked the images above.

Very happy with the look, the quality, and the customer service. I would definitely recommend him to anyone who is looking at a custom engagement ring. My budget certainly wasn't the biggest he's seen, since I wanted to pay cash for the ring, and my concept sketch was definitely lacking.

Somehow he managed to put together a great ring from that, and he was informative and available throughout the process. Even the packaging it arrived in was top notch.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

So dress fittings, do you just go to a tailor and get them to size it for you? I inherited a dress a few years ago and really haven't tried it on in a while. I know I've gained some weight (which I'm working on losing) but I'm not sure how or when I should get dressing fittings.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Thanks guys, some awesome ideas. I'm deploying this winter probably so I was going to take the savings from that, come back to America, buy a ring and go get eloped :)

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Quick question regarding the gift opening: is it customary to open cards at gift openings, in front of everyone? See, we didn't ask for any gifts because we seriously do not need anything, so it's likely that most of our guests will be giving cards with money or gift cards inside. My fiancee and I aren't sure if it's polite to open said cards in front of the crowd. My fiancee's sister opened her cards after the gift opening, and sent out thank-you cards to each appropriate person/couple afterwards. I thought that was alright myself, but since we aren't going to be getting many gifts, should we just open up the cards at the gift opening anyway?

I'm probably just over-thinking this, but I thought I'd ask.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

First, a mini-rant.

So I'm getting married in the Catholic Church. Part of what we had to do was get someone who knows us well to fill out a witness form, testifying that we were both able to make the decision to marry freely, that we are nice people and will have a nice, Catholic marriage. We're doing our prep in San Jose, getting married in Milwaukee, and fiance's mom (who filled out his form) lives in Madison.

When the San Jose priest gave us the forms, he said, "Now, it says you need to take this to the diocese, but really you only need to have it filled out in front of a priest."

This is the information we gave to the people who filled out the forms for us. The priest who watched my sister fill out my form took it to the diocese office in Milwaukee just to stay on the safe side, so my form was fine. The priest who watched my fiance's mom fill out the form took the info we gave and only put the parish seal on it and did not take it to the diocese office in Madison.

The San Jose priest called me yesterday about this, saying stuff like we needed to have them fill out a new form, and in Milwaukee, or get someone here in San Jose to fill out a new form and blah blah blah lots of convoluted stuff and when I asked if we could just send the form to the diocese office in Madison and have them authenticate it and then put it back with the rest of our big packet of info and send it on to Milwaukee, he was very emphatic that this was not an option. However, he said, the diocese of San Jose had approved our paperwork. It was just a matter of making sure the archdiocese in Milwaukee would have an acceptable-to-them witness form.

We picked up our packet of papers. There was a post-it on the incomplete form. Yeah, all we have to do is send it to the diocese office in Madison to have the stamp put on it and we're fine. We don't have to have a new form filled out or get one of the fiance's parents to go to Milwaukee.

Ugh, priests.

teamgod posted:

Quick question regarding the gift opening: is it customary to open cards at gift openings, in front of everyone? See, we didn't ask for any gifts because we seriously do not need anything, so it's likely that most of our guests will be giving cards with money or gift cards inside. My fiancee and I aren't sure if it's polite to open said cards in front of the crowd. My fiancee's sister opened her cards after the gift opening, and sent out thank-you cards to each appropriate person/couple afterwards. I thought that was alright myself, but since we aren't going to be getting many gifts, should we just open up the cards at the gift opening anyway?

I'm probably just over-thinking this, but I thought I'd ask.

Oooh, this is a good one. Did you just not register anywhere and not bring it up, or are you actively telling people not to get you anything? If it's the former, then you could go either way and be okay. If you open the cards, you can show people what the card looked like but don't mention the value of/whether anything was inside. Otherwise, you can just set the cards to the side and acknowledge them privately.

However, if you are asking for no gifts, hm. Technically you shouldn't have a gift opening event in this case because then if someone actually followed your request, they might feel out of sorts. But since it's a wedding, you could probably still open gifts in front of others, but in this case I wouldn't open the cards. Keep it as short/nonobtrusive as possible.

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

I can't tell my left from right sometimes.
I'm not engaged, but I'll give my opinion as a photographer who has shot a very wide range of weddings (from hillbilly types, to OC 'Platinum' shindigs). I haven't seen anyone do any sort of gift opening at the wedding itself, are you talking about during a shower or something? I definitely think you can get away with not opening anything AT the wedding, but at a shower or similar event, that's just part of the whole process, so I wouldn't exclude cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
We weren't expecting gifts either, so we ended up just waiting until the next morning (complete with a bunch of friends sleeping over) and opened them at our home. And by that I mean I opened them. I opened the cards at the same time, and we sent thank-you cards to everyone who showed up at the wedding and/or sent us a gift.

It seemed best not to open them at the wedding itself because folks were too busy to crowd around, and I had a surprise shower two weeks before where I had to open gifts in front of an audience..