Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

I wouldn't delete them, but I probably wouldn't publish them. Generally I don't publish or post photos where the musicians look bad unless it's bad in an awesome way like a bloody nose or something.

Agreed, I'd hold onto them, but don't let them surface anywhere. I see no harm in keeping them on your computer if you're not sending them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

rockcity posted:

Agreed, I'd hold onto them, but don't let them surface anywhere. I see no harm in keeping them on your computer if you're not sending them around.

Pretty much this.

Maybe swee if he wants a copy? I know I'd want some if it was me.

Also, has any one ever phoned about getting a press pass? I can't find an email address anywhere but have found phone number. Should I call or keep searching?

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 12, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Four Banger posted:

Pretty much this.

Maybe swee if he wants a copy? I know I'd want some if it was me.

Also, has any one ever phoned about getting a press pass? I can't find an email address anywhere but have found phone number. Should I call or keep searching?

Can't hurt, what's the worst that could happen? I've called a couple times, but it was publicists that know who I am already and have given me their numbers. Usually it's if I'm making a request last minute so they can try to get me in right away.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Had a magic thing happen last night; got to a gig late, and was shooting from the crowd; the light/sound tech at the venue recognized me from all the shows I'd shot and attended over the last 2 years, pulled me up to the sound desk and asked me what colour lights I didn't want :3: then proceeded to shower the band in yellow and blue lights, well lit all around, lit up the crowd, backlit the band, everything for two songs.

This is the kind of poo poo that makes me appreciate local bands and my favourite venue to shoot (check it out; https://www.thezoo.com.au). Just a loving :3: in a night that was pretty horrible overall, and an ideal capper to a poo poo week.

e: holy poo poo gently caress yeah

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 13, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Shot an out of town show today and had my first run in with LED lights. gently caress those things. I don't know if it was because of the LED lights or because it wasn't designed for two singers, but I couldn't shoot both of them without one being blown out or being in total darkness.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Back from Bonnaroo. I wound up getting a photo wristband afterall (and, eventually, an artist pass). Here's a Flaming Lips photo that I'm sure everyone has in their portfolios at this point:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Went to the skatepark, caught an impromptu thrash metal band performance.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

IndieRockLance posted:

What song is that at? Is it your first 3? Everyone has that; been meaning to ask.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

IndieRockLance posted:

Any of you guys shooting Bonnaroo this weekend? I'm going with the local alt. weekly. I didn't get a photo pass (mostly because I didn't push for one like the idiot I am), but it'll be a good time.

I went, I didn't take pictures though. Camp was a 45 minute hike from centeroo and I didn't feel like arguing with security to let me in with my SLR. I wouldn't have gotten any usable band shots anyway, as I don't have a zoom...just my 50mm prime. Also, we totally live in the same city.

Here's some of the stuff I shot last month:

I really need something other than a nifty fifty to shoot with. I was thinking about getting either a 10-22 or a 24-70 to broaden my options. Opinions? Critiques?

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Eeek posted:

What song is that at? Is it your first 3? Everyone has that; been meaning to ask.

Wayne basically starts the show with it these days. The band comes out and starts playing an intro, then some crew members blow up the bubble with Wayne inside it, he does his thing for a minute or two, then rolls back in to finish the intro and launch into the first real song.

Viper_3000 posted:

I went, I didn't take pictures though. Camp was a 45 minute hike from centeroo and I didn't feel like arguing with security to let me in with my SLR. I wouldn't have gotten any usable band shots anyway, as I don't have a zoom...just my 50mm prime. Also, we totally live in the same city.

Yeah, I hear that. I was in general last year and shot, it was a huge pain to cart around my camera and lenses. I rented a 70-200 IS lens too, so it was even heavier because of that. Being in guest camping this year helped a lot, but it's still rough. Especially when the heat index hits over 100 like it did this weekend.

Kudden
Dec 10, 2007

Not only does 12+1=11+2, but the letters "twelve plus one" rearrange to give you "eleven plus two"
An hour after I pick up my first DSLR ever a buddy calls and says his band is playing at a local community gig and that I should come check it out.
Perfect opportunity to play around with settings! Not being able to zoom out on the 50mm was pretty annoying though.

B&W because they looked boring in color

:smug:

Ended up with alot of the pictures overexposed but it was alot of fun!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Kudden posted:

These are my favourites, and they're awesome. Well done!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Kudden posted:

Cool as gently caress.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!
I shot my friends' band two nights ago and it was possibly the most fun I've ever had taking photos. Only in the last few months have I tried shooting anything aside from my friends skateboarding, so I'm still quite new to this stuff.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Beef Log Boy posted:

Grocery Store Carnage

I gotta ask, did you get proper permission inside the grocery store? I've had similar ideas for a shoot actually. Also, if you had more fill light, these would be a ton better.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I gotta ask, did you get proper permission inside the grocery store? I've had similar ideas for a shoot actually. Also, if you had more fill light, these would be a ton better.

The vocalist (The diabetic coma shopping cart guy) manages there, and so pretty much we could do whatever we wanted to. I really do wish I had more fill light, but sadly all I have is an SB-600 with an inflatable softbox and so I just tried to make do.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Warped Tour is coming through my area July 13th and I want to shoot it something fierce. So I e-mailed MSO PR (the Vans PR) asking for a press pass application. I got in response an e-mail saying that I needed to be on "editorial assignment" with an outlet that "publishes musical coverage". This made me swear like a loving sailor because I don't shoot for any publication or outlet. So I've been e-mailing publications like crazy (including Kerrang!) to see if they need freelance coverage of Warped Tour.

I've got a feeling it's going to be a bitch and a half getting a photo pass for Warped

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Warped Tour is coming through my area July 13th and I want to shoot it something fierce. So I e-mailed MSO PR (the Vans PR) asking for a press pass application. I got in response an e-mail saying that I needed to be on "editorial assignment" with an outlet that "publishes musical coverage". This made me swear like a loving sailor because I don't shoot for any publication or outlet. So I've been e-mailing publications like crazy (including Kerrang!) to see if they need freelance coverage of Warped Tour.

I've got a feeling it's going to be a bitch and a half getting a photo pass for Warped

Actally Warped Tour is probably the easiest festival to get approved for ever. There are easily 30 photographers shooting the event at every stop. Seriously, if you had a lovely geocities page that even looked like you'd shot a show before they'd approve you. I see people who have no idea how to shoot in the put year in and year out.

MSO is also one of the best and and thorough PR companies I've dealt with in my 7 years of concert shooting.

Actually shoot me an email, I might be able to help you out. rockcityphoto at gmail dot com

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Actally Warped Tour is probably the easiest festival to get approved for ever. There are easily 30 photographers shooting the event at every stop. Seriously, if you had a lovely geocities page that even looked like you'd shot a show before they'd approve you. I see people who have no idea how to shoot in the put year in and year out.

MSO is also one of the best and and thorough PR companies I've dealt with in my 7 years of concert shooting.

Actually shoot me an email, I might be able to help you out. rockcityphoto at gmail dot com

That's not the sense I got from the e-mail I was sent. I'll shoot you one.

*edit* which was this

quote:

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. You must be on editorial assignment with an
outlet that publishes music coverage in order to be eligible for a
press/photo pass for the Vans Warped Tour 2010. I can not credential for
photography websites or photographers looking to build a portfolio.
Additionally, Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, and Youtube
pages are not eligible for media credentials.

If you are eligible, please reply to this email and then I will send you
the press request form.

Thank you!
Bari

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 17, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Warped Tour usually has a bunch of local bands playing on the side stages. Make a deal with one of those bands that you'll shoot their set for access and bam, press pass.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Warped Tour usually has a bunch of local bands playing on the side stages. Make a deal with one of those bands that you'll shoot their set for access and bam, press pass.

I know some of the members of Vanna and I talked to them about getting access for shooting their set and I was told they were having trouble getting members of their family backstage. Hopefully a publication will get back to me soon

*edit* I'm an idiot, linked to flickr in my e-mail. Thank you rockcity for helping
*edit v2* I have a contact in Victory Records which does count as a outlet that publishes "musical coverage" so he's going to ask around there

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 17, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

pr0digal posted:

I know some of the members of Vanna and I talked to them about getting access for shooting their set and I was told they were having trouble getting members of their family backstage. Hopefully a publication will get back to me soon

*edit* I'm an idiot, linked to flickr in my e-mail. Thank you rockcity for helping
*edit v2* I have a contact in Victory Records which does count as a outlet that publishes "musical coverage" so he's going to ask around there

I think a band would have an easier time getting a photog in than a family member in. In the way that a photog is working and the family is just mooching a free ticket.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

I think a band would have an easier time getting a photog in than a family member in. In the way that a photog is working and the family is just mooching a free ticket.

Hell if I know. I've sent off a bunch of e-mails to publications so I'm just going to wait it out. I've still got a bit of time thankfully

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Not really, it's just about as easy either way, in fact it might be the opposite. They'd still have to clear the photo pass with the tour (just because they can't have every band on the tour with their own photog), though they wouldn't have to go through MSO, at least not Bari, it would be the traveling press manager. Warped Tour has a GIANT guest list, it's very easy for bands to get people in for free.

Victory is a fairly decent label with helping people out, so definitely try to talk to them. I'm trying to think if I have any contacts with bands on the tour. The past few years I've had good friends on the tour, so they've just flipped me laminates. This year I should be shooting for Alternative Press again.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Not really, it's just about as easy either way, in fact it might be the opposite. They'd still have to clear the photo pass with the tour (just because they can't have every band on the tour with their own photog), though they wouldn't have to go through MSO, at least not Bari, it would be the traveling press manager. Warped Tour has a GIANT guest list, it's very easy for bands to get people in for free.

Victory is a fairly decent label with helping people out, so definitely try to talk to them. I'm trying to think if I have any contacts with bands on the tour. The past few years I've had good friends on the tour, so they've just flipped me laminates. This year I should be shooting for Alternative Press again.

Yeah I have a friend who interns with Victory so he's going to ask them for me and see what he can do. If it comes down to it I'll hit up Four Year Strong (who I have had contact with in the past) or see if any of my friends bands are playing Warped.

I mean I've got a ton of e-mails out to publications (and Victory) and I've already bugged Vanna enough so I'll take a look at the list of bands again for my date.

Thank you again rockcity, this is my first Warped that I have a chance to shoot and I seem to have fumbled the ball a bit

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Hmm, Your comment on only needing a Geo cities page to get approved for warped has me wondering something. Do you think it's easier to get approved to shoot "bigger" names if I tell them I'm shooting for my personal blog rather than for portfolio purposes? I feel like my local work is good enough, but it's not getting me anywhere in terms of Press-passes. So I figure it's time to switch up the strategy.

Right now I'm using Tumblr: http://bensemisch.tumblr.com/ but I want to integrate Tumblr as my front page for the web-site I'm planning on launching. I think if I needed to I could just point my website to the tumblr for now to get through the summer until I have the site up and running.

Thoughts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Hmm, Your comment on only needing a Geo cities page to get approved for warped has me wondering something. Do you think it's easier to get approved to shoot "bigger" names if I tell them I'm shooting for my personal blog rather than for portfolio purposes? I feel like my local work is good enough, but it's not getting me anywhere in terms of Press-passes. So I figure it's time to switch up the strategy.

Right now I'm using Tumblr: http://bensemisch.tumblr.com/ but I want to integrate Tumblr as my front page for the web-site I'm planning on launching. I think if I needed to I could just point my website to the tumblr for now to get through the summer until I have the site up and running.

Thoughts?

Don't use the term personal blog. Don't make anything sound like it's for you...ever. This comes off to the publicist as you being selfish and not you helping provide publicity to a band. First off if you don't have a domain name, get one. It's the best $8 investment you can make. Think about it, if you're a PR rep and you have one last spot on your photo list, who's getting it. https://www.itakekickassrockmusicphotos.com or https://www.flickr.com/heyguyzlookatmycat

Sites are everything. It doesn't even have to be a good site. I suck horribly at making websites and running them, but having a site, with your own "company" name is hugely important. Also do not use a portfolio type site. I have one site with my name and one that is for concerts. If you want to be approved, keep these separate.

Lastly, publicists tend to like things short, you don't need to give them your life story in an email. If it's a publicist I've never worked with I usually give them a BRIEF synopsis of my site and my work, usually one sentence or so. Then include what you need i.e. 1 ticket and 1 photo pass what date you need it for, the venue and the city. That is about it. Put your name and a signature of sorts to look mildly professional and you're done. I've stuck by this for years and I can count the times I've been denied (for reasons other than the list being full) on one hand over the 7 years I've been shooting concerts.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Don't use the term personal blog. Don't make anything sound like it's for you...ever. This comes off to the publicist as you being selfish and not you helping provide publicity to a band. First off if you don't have a domain name, get one. It's the best $8 investment you can make. Think about it, if you're a PR rep and you have one last spot on your photo list, who's getting it. https://www.itakekickassrockmusicphotos.com or https://www.flickr.com/heyguyzlookatmycat

Sites are everything. It doesn't even have to be a good site. I suck horribly at making websites and running them, but having a site, with your own "company" name is hugely important. Also do not use a portfolio type site. I have one site with my name and one that is for concerts. If you want to be approved, keep these separate.

Lastly, publicists tend to like things short, you don't need to give them your life story in an email. If it's a publicist I've never worked with I usually give them a BRIEF synopsis of my site and my work, usually one sentence or so. Then include what you need i.e. 1 ticket and 1 photo pass what date you need it for, the venue and the city. That is about it. Put your name and a signature of sorts to look mildly professional and you're done. I've stuck by this for years and I can count the times I've been denied (for reasons other than the list being full) on one hand over the 7 years I've been shooting concerts.

I wish this was posted/I talked to you guys before sending off my ill fated e-mail. Mah well, I have a couple of feelers out for publications. I think over the summer I am going to get another website (like rockcity said and keep them seperate) and overhaul my website (currently looking like this: http://ethanhansenphoto.com/) to this (http://ethanhansenphoto.com/playground/) which is more polished and a hell of a lot easier to navigate.

The only place that will link to flickr is the "galleries" page. The live music page is just images as will the promotional and equine page (yes I shoot horse shows, in fact doing one this weekend). Only issue would be the domain name. I need to think of a good one for my second site. I also need to make a new watermark...

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't put two URLs in the watermark. Pick one and stick with it. Also, the font is hard to read when it's that small and all in caps.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Don't put two URLs in the watermark. Pick one and stick with it. Also, the font is hard to read when it's that small and all in caps.

Yeah that's my older watermark. I'm going to make a new one (with one site) in big block letters. Then I'm going to replace the pictures on the site now with the newly watermarked ones.

Thank god that site isn't live yet

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I am shooting a band tonight that I have shot several times in the past and they have ZERO ideas of what they want. Its pretty much the same scenario each time but I just don't know what we can do or where we can go this time.

Do any of you guys ever come across this or do bands in your respective areas normally have at least a slight idea of what they want?

For reference here is a photo from the last time I shot them, I think I may have already posted it here:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

A couple of nights ago I shot a concert with the worst lighting I've come across (fixed dim red lights, large areas of the stage in total darkness). I shot them all around f/1.2 1/40 ISO800 and they were still underexposed.

I'd like to hear any processing suggestions you guys have. Below are a couple of photos as shot and the best I've been able to process them:

Here's what I did:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

Hmm, this is helpful info. Can you post your music site just so I can get an idea of what things to include?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

I am shooting a band tonight that I have shot several times in the past and they have ZERO ideas of what they want. Its pretty much the same scenario each time but I just don't know what we can do or where we can go this time.

Do any of you guys ever come across this or do bands in your respective areas normally have at least a slight idea of what they want?

Bands are either one way or the other usually. It's either they just want you to figure it out and tell them exactly what to do or they want to play creative director and start directing the shoot. Often times the latter ends up being a pain in the rear end and it ends up looking like crap.

Edit: Sure, here's my site. I haven't updated it in forever because my shooting has been lacking due to general busyness and lack of bands I actually want to shoot.

Rock City Photography

The site sucks, so again, keep it in your head that it doesn't even need to look good. Re-doing the site is on my to do list, the crappy part is that I have 7 years worth of photos which is ridiculously hard to re-vamp and keep it all cohesive. I had the same problem when I updated it last time. It's still ridiculously confusing. The main page and the recent shows page are my newer stuff and the photos page is an old archive of shows from my early years.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 18, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
In my search for publications I have heard back from two places: an online music zine (who said they already had coverage) and a very odd e-mail from my local newspaper. My newspaper said that they unfortunately couldn't pay me for my "artistry" (direct quote) but would be interested in doing a Q&A interview with me at some point regarding my work.

Huh.

So I e-mailed back saying i wasn't interested in getting paid but was offering to cover because Vans PR said I had to be on editorial assignment blah blah blah and I would be happy to be interviewed. I get a very quick response saying "Why don't we start with one photo submission and brief write up for the WickedLocal website and see how that goes." WickedLocal being the online equivalent of my town's newspaper. I write back asking to clarify if she means a submission of a photo from a past show to kind of publicize warped or a photo submission after Warped Tour.

If it is the latter then I am pretty drat sure that counts as being on editorial assignment for Warped Tour.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ric posted:

I'd like to hear any processing suggestions you guys have. Below are a couple of photos as shot and the best I've been able to process them:

My suggestion would be to not shoot at 800. Unless you're shooting a daylight concert, you want to be at 1600 or 3200 to get good shutter speeds. Shooting at 1600 for proper exposure then running the photo through a noise reduction program would have saved you some tweaking.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

HPL posted:

My suggestion would be to not shoot at 800. Unless you're shooting a daylight concert, you want to be at 1600 or 3200 to get good shutter speeds. Shooting at 1600 for proper exposure then running the photo through a noise reduction program would have saved you some tweaking.

I'll second this and add that flash is your friend when the lighting is static. A good bounce flash or even a small flash on an off-camera cord can make for some really awesome pictures.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

HPL posted:

I was reluctant to go as high as 800! It's the highest ISO at which I've ever got usable results. I have NoiseNinja but I find it flattens features too much; maybe I'm not familiar enough with it.

AtomicManiac posted:

flash
Yes, though in this instance it wasn't really possible.

Really I want to know, having already taken these photos, whether there's a way to claw back more colour from the red.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

For reference here is a photo from the last time I shot them, I think I may have already posted it here:

I think the best way to tackle a band that doesn't have a clue is to listen to their music and present the image they're trying to project. Failing that, look at their influences and see what those bands did for photo shoots and try and make something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ric posted:

I was reluctant to go as high as 800! It's the highest ISO at which I've ever got usable results. I have NoiseNinja but I find it flattens features too much; maybe I'm not familiar enough with it.

Yes, though in this instance it wasn't really possible.

Really I want to know, having already taken these photos, whether there's a way to claw back more colour from the red.

You'd better get good at shooting at 1600 or you won't be going very far in this field of photography. There are lots of other noise reduction programs out there that do at least as good a job as Noise Ninja. NN used to be the industry standard but that has changed.

You should be able to desaturate or lighten specific colours in Photoshop. I do it all the time in Elements, so PS had better have it.