Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Wing Commander 3 and 4.

DISPROVEN

Well at least their whole gameplay didn't completely revolve around full motion video and still photographs. That's why I'm kinda counting them out. :shobon:

edit: However, GK2 is still the best even if you count them. Then again I'm probably a fanboy of the worst kind.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New releases are up: Fantasy Wars and Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Pavol Paska posted:

I find that.. not hard to believe.

Well, all those Tex Murphy games are pretty well liked, though I've never played them.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Has anyone played Panzer Elite: SE? It looks interesting, but JoWood can be inconsistent with the quality of their releases, especially ones that aren't fantasy RPGs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Serious Michael posted:

Has anyone played Panzer Elite: SE? It looks interesting, but JoWood can be inconsistent with the quality of their releases, especially ones that aren't fantasy RPGs.

You'll be replacing the exe with the fan made patch and graphics mods anyway.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ansob. posted:

New releases are up: Fantasy Wars and Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Fantasy Wars has to be one of the most generic titles I've seen for a game. I'm surprised they didn't call it "Fantasy Game".

These any good?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

AxeManiac posted:

Fantasy Wars has to be one of the most generic titles I've seen for a game. I'm surprised they didn't call it "Fantasy Game".

These any good?

Fantasy Wars is supposed to be surprisingly good. v :) v

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I read the title as being tongue in cheek. Am I giving it too much credit?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, I bought Divine Divinity because it's been on my c-list for many a year.

I understand that it's friggin' huge, which is nice, but I only occasionally get a craving for isometric clicky RPGs, and usually for about a week or so. Is Divine Divinity a game that can be abandoned for a while, then picked up again without too much confusion? Or would I be better off scheduling a huge slab of time to complete it?

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Alchenar posted:

You'll be replacing the exe with the fan made patch and graphics mods anyway.

I only play vanilla, anything, even Oblivion or Stalker.

rt4 posted:

You really, really, need to play Stalker Complete.

What I said in the above post.

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 15, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Serious Michael posted:

I only play vanilla, anything, even Oblivion or Stalker.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

rt4 posted:

Relax, Serious Michael is only joking.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I understand that it's friggin' huge, which is nice, but I only occasionally get a craving for isometric clicky RPGs, and usually for about a week or so. Is Divine Divinity a game that can be abandoned for a while, then picked up again without too much confusion? Or would I be better off scheduling a huge slab of time to complete it?

I finished it in around two weeks, while working full time. HTH

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got HoMM3, because I like King's Bounty and had always been interested in the series. Question though: How often should I be deploying new Hero units?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

I read the title as being tongue in cheek. Am I giving it too much credit?

Yes.

But it's apparently still good, anyways. I heard it's just a straight up 3D Battle for Wesnoth ripoff, but executed pretty well. If you liked Wesnoth, you'll like Fantasy Wars.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Serious Michael posted:

How much do you like simulations? It's the type of game that probably has little appeal to non-simulation crowds, especially after 10 years since its original release.

Personally, I tried a demo back then and wasn't satisfied. I don't know how much the mods have changed but then my impression was that the graphics engine was too primitive to really give you a feel of being there. Much of this had to do with hardware limitations - horizon was drawn really close, infantry was just flat sprites and all in all it looked bland. So did Operation Flashpoint which also came in 1999, but its main focus was on infantry which made draw distance etc. more bearable. Tanks in OFP still sucked.

But as a WW2 tank simulation it's still without comparison. There's the newer Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942, but that's also buggy as hell and you have to rely on modders to make it fun.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 16, 2010

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I still haven't got a chance to play Crusader: No Remorse in the past 10 years - even with DOS Box or any type of trickery it refuses to work. I forgot about GOG and saw this thread and was disappointed to see they haven't released Crusader.

Is there any idea if they will release it in the future? That is one of the best old games and there is no way to play it on XP+ after hours upon hours of trying.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Meowbot posted:

I still haven't got a chance to play Crusader: No Remorse in the past 10 years - even with DOS Box or any type of trickery it refuses to work. I forgot about GOG and saw this thread and was disappointed to see they haven't released Crusader.

Is there any idea if they will release it in the future? That is one of the best old games and there is no way to play it on XP+ after hours upon hours of trying.

The Crusader series was published by Electronic Arts.

So, unless hell freezes over you're never going to be able to purchase it and play it on a modern computer from a service like GoG.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

I think so. The game has a solid quest log in it so you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to do when you return.

The only caveat to the game is that the intro dungeon in the town is unnecessarily long and somewhat dull. Once you make it past that, the game opens up and becomes something completely fantastic.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes.

But it's apparently still good, anyways. I heard it's just a straight up 3D Battle for Wesnoth ripoff, but executed pretty well. If you liked Wesnoth, you'll like Fantasy Wars.

It's actually a 3D Fantasy General ripoff. Wesnoth is just a Fantasy General ripoff with a far more generic setting. (altough Fantasy Wars also has the generic setting problem)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

It's pretty open and sandboxy (past the first HUGE dungeon in the first town - one of the longest dungeons in the game, actually), and there are a lot of side quests, many of which literally give you no direction for solving them, like the Harvest quest, for example. There is a journal and a map you can place your own notes on, but I think you'd be better served by scheduling off a huge slab of time.

Ongoing LP of Divine Divinity

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Meowbot posted:

I've got Crusader: No Remorse working perfectly in the most recent DOS Box.

Still a very fun game.

Let me know if you'd like the DOS Box config file.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

pixelbaron posted:

The Crusader series was published by Electronic Arts.

So, unless hell freezes over you're never going to be able to purchase it and play it on a modern computer from a service like GoG.

C'mon Hell! You can do it!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

With Divine Divinity do yourself a favor and start games with each of the archetypes and grind through the intro dungeon spending as little points as you can. Once you are finished, make a master save for each archetype. That way when you want to try out a different character build, you can start from these post-dungeon saves.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes.

It's a straight up Fantasy General ripoff, as a matter of fact. If you liked Fantasy General you'll like it.

So no the title is not a joke it's AN HOMAGE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_General

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Since it's been mentioned - why the hell do they not have Fantasy General? Is the whole SSI catalogue in licensing-limbo? Fantasy General, Panzer General and War Wind really need to be availible to the people that missed them.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

DatonKallandor posted:

Since it's been mentioned - why the hell do they not have Fantasy General? Is the whole SSI catalogue in licensing-limbo? Fantasy General, Panzer General and War Wind really need to be availible to the people that missed them.
Actually, I think Ubi own the rights these days. Probably still a lot of legal hassle to work out though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember buying a copy of Imperialism based entirely on the cover (and I was not sorry that I did, it was a splendid game). Inside was a full-color brochure of SSI's entire catalog of wargames, from the very first Panzer General to Fantasy General and Star General. It would be awesome to see these (as well as Imperialism I and II) hit GOG.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

doctorfrog posted:

I remember buying a copy of Imperialism based entirely on the cover (and I was not sorry that I did, it was a splendid game). Inside was a full-color brochure of SSI's entire catalog of wargames, from the very first Panzer General to Fantasy General and Star General. It would be awesome to see these (as well as Imperialism I and II) hit GOG.

I did that too, I looked at the game and said, I can't play this. It looks like homework. But I tried it and REALLY liked it. SSI made a bunch of cool games like that. I could never figure out the Panzer stuff however. My brain seems to melt over at complicated WW2 like stuff. Guess it has to be wizards or whatever for me to grasp it.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've got a problem with Arcanum, and this seems like the place to get help (sorry if this is answered in the manual, but I can't seem to find it in those 100 pages). So pretty much, I've gotten to the Isle of Despair, and finished doing the fights in the pit to gain access to the camp's leader. To do this, you've got to leave the rest of your party behind. Once I came back from the pit fight though, I found that my party is nowhere to be found. Anyone know how I can get them back? (and no, I can't reload a previous save, as I am not very smart and have been only using one file.)

e: nvm, was literally on the first page of the allies section.

STABASS fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 16, 2010

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Ravenger posted:

I've got Crusader: No Remorse working perfectly in the most recent DOS Box.

Still a very fun game.

Let me know if you'd like the DOS Box config file.

Yes, Crusader: No Remorse runs perfectly fine in DOSBox and is as glorious as ever. Grab a recent build of it and you should be rocking.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
GoG has really been breasting it up on their cover art, haven't they.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.

doctorfrog posted:

You won't forget how to play it (the controls are diablo-ish), and it has probably the best quest log ever made, so you shouldn't have any trouble forgetting what you're supposed to be doing either.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the responses on DD. I fired it up last night and it has exactly the old isometric action RPG feel to it that I was looking for: the slightly artificial ting to the soundtrack, the excessive fluidity of the character movements, the tiny little objects you can pick up and use, the huge overworld, even the fonts and the over-textured menus all look spot-on. This is exactly the game I want to play for a week, get tired of, put down, then pick up again when I'm in the mood again in another month.

AxeManiac posted:

I did that too, I looked at the game and said, I can't play this. It looks like homework. But I tried it and REALLY liked it. SSI made a bunch of cool games like that. I could never figure out the Panzer stuff however. My brain seems to melt over at complicated WW2 like stuff. Guess it has to be wizards or whatever for me to grasp it.

If we're both talking about Imperialism, I agree, it was pretty good. Looking back, I think the fact it played like a board game was a major strength and kept it from being a Civ wannabe. I was listening to the Two Moves Ahead podcast, and they were talking about Imperialism, and another thing I never thought of: how your empire's production, commerce, etc. were all managed from central 1-stop-shop screens. The complexity of this management was never increased, regardless of how large your empire became. It was pretty elegant.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 16, 2010

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Compared to the amount of chesty and aloof men? Doesn't seem to be, just a side effect being used to seeing the Jagged Alliance 2 art.

Do all these illustrated breasts make you yearn for more?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

That's just how we did things in the 80s.

drat, I'd love to see the AD&D Gold Box series on GoG.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

And there is SSI again - Goddamn they had nothing but awesome games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

:c00l: GoG library slim DVD covers printed:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Andrigaar posted:

Compared to the amount of chesty and aloof men? Doesn't seem to be, just a side effect being used to seeing the Jagged Alliance 2 art.

Eh, I think it's pretty noticeable, too. The Kings Bounty one was pretty ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Andrigaar posted:

No.