Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Bodnoirbabe, you should watch Dr. Strangelove. It's my favourite Kubrick. Also, as a side note, I don't think that knowing the ending of Citizen Kane will detract from your enjoyment from the film. I knew what it was, but the film isn't just about the reveal.

Anyways, I watched Rear Window, and I really enjoyed it. I found it interesting that there was more then one story being told, as other windows had their own silent drama. I think the strength of the film is that the camera never moved from James Stewart's apartment. It really makes the climax that much more tense. Watching this made me want to watch Disturbia just to see how bad they butchered this movie.

quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain:
2. Blade Runner: This seems like something I should have already watched.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca: I never had an interest in watching this.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men: I remember watching some of this in elementary school during class, and enjoying it. Since then, the movie has just never crossed my mind. I figure I may as well get around to watching it now.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot: Apparently this is a funny comedy. I like Jack Lemmon, but the idea of two guys in drag stretched for an entire film doesn't do it for me. Either way, this seems like a movie I should watch just to see if my preconceptions were correct.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Twin Cinema: watch Some Like It Hot. It's really good and it's not a two hour Benny Hill skit.

Watched Do the Right Thing and I really liked it. I really don't get the comments from the time that it'd start riots. Also all of the stuff about the movie being "anti-white" is really dumb.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

dotCommunism posted:

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

This is an interesting slice of life movie from a little girl's point of view. If you weren't Mr. Popular in school with plenty of talent and friends, you'll be able to relate to some of her growing pains.

My list:
1) Seven Samurai - I've wanted to watch this, or any Kurosawa film, for a long time. I think the long runtime keeps me from starting it up during the week when I get home from work. Also Rashomon.

2) The Seventh Seal - The premise for this movie sounds fascinating. I started to watch it one afternoon when I was tired and fell asleep immediately.

3) In Cold Blood - Have heard this is good, but it's not a movie the girlfriend would enjoy and we usually watch movies together.

4) The Last Temptation of Christ - I love Scorsese, and this is one of the few movies he's put out that I haven't seen.

5) Rob Roy - A friend tells me that I'd really like this movie. Liam Neeson doesn't disappoint, so I should probably listen to him.

6) The Killing - I tend to enjoy Kubrick's work. Haven't seen this or Lolita and would like to at some point.

7) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? - Have heard it's fantastic.

8) Battlefield Earth - What the gently caress is this doing here? Well, I've heard it was godawful terrible, but it's available for instant watch on netflix. I'm curious to see if it really is as bad as it reviewed.

9) The Lady Vanishes or anything else Hitchcock - I've seen Psycho and Vertigo, but I really want to see some other stuff by him.

10) THX 1138 - I've had this on my netflix instant queue for a while, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I like those space movies that this guy made later on. I also haven't seen American Graffiti, so that could go in here.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Jolo posted:

8) Battlefield Earth - What the gently caress is this doing here? Well, I've heard it was godawful terrible, but it's available for instant watch on netflix. I'm curious to see if it really is as bad as it reviewed.

Watch this Jolo, just to get it over with.

Just finished watching Vertigo and man, was that a ride. I was riveted from start to finish. I was glad I went in not knowing anything about the film too, because I did not see that twist coming. I had high expectations considering everyone involved on that film, and it delivered on all levels.

Updated list:
1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Braveheart Just, I dunno, it's Mel Gibson?

3. It's A Wonderful Life I love Jimmy Stewart, so it is rather inexcusable that I haven't seen this yet.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Battleship Potemkin Never really been into silent movies until recently.

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

Cailin Rua posted:

2. Braveheart Just, I dunno, it's Mel Gibson?

Seeing as this is the only movie of yours I've seen, you're watching it.

Rocky was the movie picked out of my list. Its obvious why it's such a classic almost immediately. It is such a great underdog story, and even though Rocky doesnt win in the end, it ends on one of the most triumphant moments in cinema history. The ending fight scene was also drat near perfection.

However, Stallone's acting got on my nerves pretty fast. But that's mainly because Im not a fan of his almost unintelligeble voice that he has in his earlier films. That and the middle dragged a bit for me and lost my attention off and on.

The movie is undeniebly a classic, but apart from the last scene failed to really grab me. I can't really fault the movie for this too much since it was made for a different era and audience.

9/10

*Updated Shame List*

Casablanca- Yes, it's one of the most classic films of all time. But it just doesn't pique my interest. I also figure that I'll see it in film class next semester.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb- I really haven't watched too much Kubrick, and need to remedy this. I've heard such great things about it, but never get the motivation to watch it.

The Godfather- This is probably the film I am the most ashamed of not seeing. But I have seen bits and pieces of it, and it seemed to drag a lot. And I feel like Ive seen the movie through all the pop culture references.

Rocky
A Clockwork Orange- Again, I haven't watched too much Kubrick and need to fix this. I've heard all sorts of things about it and how hosed up it is, so I do need to give it a watch to see for myself.

Schindler's List- I have no doubts that this is an amazing film, however I just don't feel like being depressed for a while after watching it. Requiem for a Dream had me depressed for a few days after, and I suspect this one will hit me harder than it.

Psycho- No idea why I haven't watched it. Well, I know how most of it goes from references, but that still isn't enough of an excuse with a movie like this. I also am not a big fan of older films for whatever reason; still haven't branched out into the B&W films.

The Exorcist- I watched the beginning when I was 13 or so and turned it off for boring me. Not a huge horror fan, and like a couple other movies on my list, I think most of the important scenes have been ruined for me from spoofs and pop culture references.

Brazil- I watched 12 Monkeys and loved it, and haven only watched a couple Gilliam flicks. It's on my to-watch list, but I keep pushing it back for some reason.

Bullitt- Maybe 10 years ago I had this playing in the background and hardly paid attention to it besides the famous car chase. This really needs a rewatch to the point where I basically count this movie as unwatched. I think I could now appreciate this movie (whereas I couldnt at the age of 11 or so)

Dr No.- I started getting into Bond movies young, starting with Brosnan's films and going backwards since I was a kid dazzled by shiny things that blow up. Never made it to the original and feel shamed as a movie buff for never seeing it.

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
IIRC Braveheart has a horribly disturbing ending, and I just can't revisit it. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it all the way through since my first scattershot viewing.

Schindler's List just does not interest me. I imagine the worst Spielberg sentimentality combined with Holocaust suffering, and it makes me run the other way.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
OK, I'm game, but this time, a THEME!!

I really want to see the BIG crime movies:

1: The Godfather - Only seen parts of it, but was completely entranced.

2: The Godfather 2 - Might as well go the whole hog.

3: Dog Day Afternoon - Again, don't see why I never finished it

4: Sleuth - I keep hearing great things about this, so WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN IT?

5: The French Connection - I've had a weird kind of fascination for this movie for a while, so I might as well see what all the hubbub is about.

6: Snatch - Saw "Lock, Stock..." and LOVED it, so I figure that this is at least worth a glance

Oh, and 7: The Usual Suspects - see 5

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

And for Cantskate: Go see Psycho. IMO, it's the best suspense movie I've ever seen, even after hearing about the ending. It's less scary and more creepy, but god drat it's creepy.

Soundtrack To Mary fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 14, 2010

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Soundtrack To Mary I'm going to tell you to watch The Usual Suspects. Great writing, solid crime themed suspense/action, and it's probably Stephen Baldwin's most watchable performance.

1. The Seventh Seal - I've started to watch this probably 5 times and for one reason or another just haven't gotten more than 10 minutes in. I feel like the movie can probably just be summed up in its basic premise and can't see how it goes on for 2 hours.
2. Lost Highway I'm a huge David Lynch fan, I love the dark artsy feel...I just don't see this one having the same feel and I don't know why but it strikes me that this one will come off as a dated movie and not be as timeless as his others.
3. Tron It has to just be campy sci-fi? But is it enjoyable campy sci-fi?
4. Hearts of Fire I love Bob Dylan, I've listened to countless bootlegs, read plenty of biographies, enjoyed I'm Not There and have had a couple fellow Dylan fans tell me it's worth watching...but it looks absolutely terrible.
5. Encounters at the End of the World I'm not a Herzog fanatic but I do enjoy his movies consistantly, I just don't see what could make this film as great as my friends make it out to bee. I get that it was super challanging to shoot and that's impressive but is it really a film that everyone NEEDS to see?
6. Nightmare on Elm Street I was never a fan of horror but over the years I've seen all the lovely popular ones except this. I feel like I know the gimmick, he can kill you in your dreams, and then after that it's just horror movie cliches.
7. Mad Max I am conflicted on Mel Gibson, I can enjoy him in an action role but I really don't like him as an actor in general. I assume quality acting isn't really the reason to watch this movie, but my disdain for Mel Gibson is pretty much what has kept me away from this movie.
8. The Deer Hunter Pretty much just never found time to to watch this one. I've seen the iconic russian roulette scene, probably severely out of context and didn't ever make it a priority.
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox I really enjoy Wes Anderson's movies, but kind of went through an "anti kid movie" phase over the past couple years. So I let this one slip by, I'd like to watch it at some point but in all honesty I feel like I could let a couple more years pass.
10. The Man Who Wasn't There Another of the big directors I like, I believe this is the only Coen Brothers movie I've never seen (apart from Intolerable Cruelty...which is way lower on this list). I know I'm probably terribly wrong, but the premise just makes it sound like a mundane Fargo.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

12 Angry Men was pretty good. At times I felt the jurors were too thin-skinned and melodramatic. As I was watching the movie I recognized one of the voices but I couldn't place it. After looking on IMDB I saw that John Fiedler was the voice of Piglet.

Also the library had two of the other ten on my list so I watched those as well..

North by Northwest - A fake James Bond before Bond existed and it's better than any Bond. Ranks up there with Rear Window and Psycho.

WALL-E - First rate CGI but the story and the way it played out were a little too cutesy for my tastes. Could have done with less "WALL-E?!", "EVE?!" incessant shrieking from the two main characters. Humans were funny as well.

New list:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has also been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the magnificent seven many years ago on VHS and avoid repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#23 Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film except from this thread which states that "...once Claudia Cardinale [comes] onto the screen [you] forget about the runtime..."

#30 Sunset Blvd. - The plot from what I gathered didn't seem to interest me. Is this similar to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

#40 Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

#42 Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.
I've seen Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times so I'd probably like this too.

#44 Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

#48 The Shining - Hey this isn't supposed to be how this works. I watch three movies and get more embarrassed? I've actually seen a lot of the 1997 TV version. And I saw that strange gif with that bear. And I saw like 2 seconds of it in the Twister movie when they're watching it on the big screen. And I saw it on the Simpsons and elsewhere.

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.
The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#50. The Departed - The local library has this and every few months I see it and say "hey, I need to watch this." Then I flip it over and notice it's a fullscreen copy and fling it away in disgust. At least I touched the DVD case.

thegloaming posted:

Also I was thinking of seeing Fanny and Alexander on Instant Watch, but it's the theatrical. Should I subject myself to the 5 hour TV version instead?

Definitely. Another movie I've seen on multiple lists is Das Boot and I'd recommend anyone watching it to see one of the longer cuts rather than the theatrical.

Admin Understudy posted:

3. Tron It has to just be campy sci-fi? But is it enjoyable campy sci-fi?

I select this. Because you need at LEAST six months to digest TRON before watching TRON Legacy. TRON is always fully capped.

Ed Dillinger: Now, wait a minute, I wrote you!
Master Control Program: I've gotten 2,415 times smarter since then.
Ed Dillinger: What do you want with the Pentagon?
Master Control Program: The same thing I want with the Kremlin. I'm bored with corporations. With the information I can access, I can run things 900 to 1200 times better than any human.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yo, Zogo! You get to watch The Shining! Turn the lights down and the sound up. I'll allow you one bathroom break. USE IT WELL.

Saving Private Ryan

Well, poo poo. I'm actually kind of glad I waited so long to see this, because the Blu-Ray is really, really excellent (my doctor wouldn't be pleased to know I took full advantage of my Sennheiser headphones and the uncompressed soundtrack). Say what you like about Spielberg, he has the ability to produce the kind of film that you get excited about just buying the ticket for. It's not really an "epic" film, that's a title reserved for films with ice castles and chariot races. It's not even a particularly grand film, as it follows a mere handful of characters straggling bleakly towards a destination. I was surprised by how earthy it is, with somewhat newsreel-y cinematography and location shooting. Spielberg always steers the film away from bombast, preferring to stay on the humane side of things. At first I was kind of irritated by the choice of Matt Damon to play Ryan, because he's always come across to me as kind of an insufferable rear end in a top hat, but his casting makes sense. He's supposed to come across as sort of unlikeable, and you feel for Tom Hanks and his men, who have trekked across enemy lines and put their lives in peril and are never really in full support of the mission.

The two major battles that bookend the film are just incredible. A lot of attention is inevitably directed towards the D-Day sequence, but I kind of preferred the final battle. The D-Day sequence is a kind of emotionally detached overture that introduces you to the film's language but doesn't do a whole lot more than shock you and introduce you to the main character. On the other hand, the end battle is packed with characters you have come to know somewhat intimately, and a mountain of kudos should be delivered to the doorstep of Steven Spielberg for being able not only to make sense of the chaos but to make it one-hundred-percent engaging. Never once are we unsure what's going on, but always we are on the edge of our seat.

I guess I might as well mention that it bugs me that this film has no intermission. I know, it's unprofitable, but there's such a great act break between the "Steamboat Willie" scene and the next scene where they find Ryan. Maybe it's because I like theatre, but the artful placement of the intermission in films like 2001: A Space Odyssey or It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World is almost as exciting as the film itself. But this has nothing to do with anything, really. Saving Private Ryan is one of the best films I've seen this year.

List repost! Replaced Saving Private Ryan with Run Lola Run.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Run Lola Run - This has been on my Netflix queue for like five years. I think I added it because I liked Memento and was all hopped up to see more films that played with timelines. Anyways, apparently it's really good.

3) Downfall - I loving own this, why haven't I seen it? A: I keep putting it off because, you know, three hour Hitler docudrama? mmmmeeehhhhh

4) The 39 Steps/Notorious - Fancy Hitchcock double feature! I know nothing about either film but apparently they're classics or something and I should, like, watch them. I actually own Notorious on VHS, but there's a nice new DVD out. Another "don't know why I've put it off".

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) Fitzcarraldo - Ha! Ha! I still haven't seen this even though I've checked it out from the library and everyone loves Herzog, none of whose films I have yet to see.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Magic Hate Ball, I want you to watch Fitzcarraldo. I haven't seen it, but I have been meaning to for a while.

I finished Some Like it Hot last night, and boy oh boy, I do not see why this movie is as highly ranked as it is. I found myself become increasingly disinterested in the Monroe/Curtis story, which I began to realize during the yacht scene. However, Jack Lemmon was terrific. The parts with him and the old man just kept getting funnier, which of course finishes with the hilarious "nobody's perfect" scene. So, I did enjoy the film, it's just not one I will ever revisit, unless I fast forward the Curtis/Monroe scenes.

quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. Singin' in the Rain:

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men: I remember watching some of this in elementary school during class, and enjoying it. Since then, the movie has just never crossed my mind. I figure I may as well get around to watching it now.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: I have had an interest in reading the book, and watching the film for nearly ten years -- I have done neither. I love Jack Nicholson as an actor, and I know I would probably love this movie. It's not like I haven't had the chance to watch this either, I have seen it many times in the video store and at the library, but I always end up watching something else.

10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 14, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I always felt the same about Some Like It Hot. It's very uneven - but goddamn that's a great ending.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

Twin Cinema posted:

Magic Hate Ball, I want you to watch Fitzcarraldo. I haven't seen it, but I have been meaning to for a while.

I finished Some Like it Hot last night, and boy oh boy, I do not see why this movie is as highly ranked as it is. I found myself become increasingly disinterested in the Monroe/Curtis story, which I began to realize during the yacht scene. However, Jack Lemmon was terrific. The parts with him and the old man just kept getting funnier, which of course finishes with the hilarious "nobody's perfect" scene. So, I did enjoy the film, it's just not one I will ever revisit, unless I fast forward the Curtis/Monroe scenes.

Twin, I'm going to suggest 12 Angry Men. It's one of my favorite movies of all time. Would love to see feedback on it.

My shameful list...

1. Schindler's List
2. Casablanca
3. Maltese Falcon
4. Gone With the Wind
5. The Pianist
6. Downfall (I remember hearing great things but I never got around to it)
7. Metropolis (I own it, but I have a thing about always wanting to watch a movie that I can enjoy with another person...and thus far I've yet to find anyone with an appreciation for silent films as much as myself in the great state of Delaware)

That'll do for now.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Fiction D posted:

2. Casablanca

Casablanca is a great movie that is still entertaining today. I think you'll really enjoy it. Humphrey Bogart is so suave that the ladies swoon for him even when all he's busy doing is standing around smoking.

I watched Battlefield Earth. It wasn't necessarily the worst movie I've ever seen, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with a movie that was less interesting or entertaining. Basically, aliens are using humans as slave labor and one of the humans decides to form a rebellion.

The best thing about the movie is that all of the aliens are complete dicks to one another for no reason whatsoever. At the beginning of the movie, Travolta decides to betray a bartender's trust because he's leaving town and wont get a chance to gently caress him over after he's left the area. He stands nothing to gain from this. He's a douche. In the following scene, Travolta goes in to see his superiors thinking that he's getting a promotion. His superiors laugh at him and tell him that he's going to be working there for the rest of his life. They don't give any real reason for doing this to him, so I'm inclined to think that they're all douches also.

Actually, I take it back. This is the best part of the movie:

Also, for some reason they use this weird transition over and over again during the movie where the screen splits vertically down the middle and then each side moves outward, like a curtain opening. It's so deliberate that I noticed it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Don't watch this movie. It's only about 2hrs long, but it felt much much longer.

My new list:

My list:
1) Seven Samurai - I've wanted to watch this, or any Kurosawa film, for a long time. I think the long runtime keeps me from starting it up during the week when I get home from work. Also Rashomon.

2) The Seventh Seal - The premise for this movie sounds fascinating. I started to watch it one afternoon when I was tired and fell asleep immediately.

3) In Cold Blood - Have heard this is good, but it's not a movie the girlfriend would enjoy and we usually watch movies together.

4) The Last Temptation of Christ - I love Scorsese, and this is one of the few movies he's put out that I haven't seen.

5) Rob Roy - A friend tells me that I'd really like this movie. Liam Neeson doesn't disappoint, so I should probably listen to him.

6) The Killing - I tend to enjoy Kubrick's work. Haven't seen this or Lolita and would like to at some point.

7) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? - Have heard it's fantastic.

8) The Lady Vanishes or anything else Hitchcock - I've seen Psycho and Vertigo, but I really want to see some other stuff by him.

9) THX 1138 - I've had this on my netflix instant queue for a while, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I like those space movies that this guy made later on. I also haven't seen American Graffiti, so that could go in here.

10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero) - I've seen Night of the Living Dead, and I've seen the remake of this by Zack Snyder, but I've never seen this one. Love zombie movies though, don't know why I haven't picked this one up. There's two versions, anyone want to shed some light on the two, which should I watch first? are they both worth watching?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jolo posted:

10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero) - I've seen Night of the Living Dead, and I've seen the remake of this by Zack Snyder, but I've never seen this one. Love zombie movies though, don't know why I haven't picked this one up. There's two versions, anyone want to shed some light on the two, which should I watch first? are they both worth watching?

The original Dawn is a great film. I haven't seen it in many years, but in my mind, it's the last great "of the Dead" films. You should watch it immediately. But, I only say this because you already have an interest in zombie movies. As for the remake, it was directed by Zack Snyder, which should give you an indication of what it's like. I have seen it a few times, and my interest in the movie has waned as I have gotten older. There's a lot of flash, but not much else. I find it kind of boring, but I know of a few people who really enjoyed it. I don't know, personally, I'd just stick with the original.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Jolo, I'll check it out asap!

I've seen many of the old Hollywood stars in multiple roles, but I've only ever seen Bogart in The Perfect Sleep. I agree though, he's a legend. And to think he got treated second rate for so long in his career.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jolo posted:

Don't watch this movie. It's only about 2hrs long, but it felt much much longer.

I was one of the few people who subjected themselves to this movie when it first came out in theaters. I was too young to drink to dull the pain, and it was early enough in my movie-watching life that I knew it was bad for some reason but couldn't really put my finger on it. Kudos to you for subjecting yourself to it, as masochistic as it was.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I saw The Godfather Part II. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

Jolo - if that is your real name - you're going to watch The Seven Samurai. Don't worry about the length.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The General - I love Buster Keaton, but I've never come across this.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 15, 2010

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

I was one of the few people who subjected themselves to this movie when it first came out in theaters. I was too young to drink to dull the pain, and it was early enough in my movie-watching life that I knew it was bad for some reason but couldn't really put my finger on it. Kudos to you for subjecting yourself to it, as masochistic as it was.

There was a point in the movie where I felt like it had to be over soon, that surely it was building to the climax and the movie would end. I checked the time remaining... 50 minutes. I almost gave in and turned it off, but I had to see it through. It's really unfortunate that there isn't more of the aliens being dicks to one another past the first half hour of the movie. A movie centered around them loving each other over for no apparent reason could be pretty entertaining. I was hoping this was one of those movies that's so bad that's it's good (like The Room), but it is definitely not one of those movies.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Seven Samurai. Don't worry about the length.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I can kick back and enjoy this. Thanks for the recommendation.

elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005
Bodnoirbabe: You are hereby ordered to watch Rocky. I know that Stallone turned into a cartoon character later in his career, and indeed in this movie franchise, but the first Rocky is a great movie. And pay attention to the scores at the end.

As to my own list of shame:

1. The French Connection: For a long time I dismissed this as a movie about "old men shooting revolvers".

2. Some Like It Hot: I've seen this in parts, and I remember it being hysterical, but I can't for the life of me tell you a single thing about it.

3. Do The Right Thing: I run hot and cold on Lee. This one came out while I was in a progressive/PC nightmare period in college and I just hated it on principle. I've liked a lot of his stuff since, and I'm willing to make amends.

4. Chinatown: No excuse. Just never saw it.

5. A Serious Man: I'm a huge fan 'o the Cohens, but I missed this one.

6. 12 Angry Men: I'm not a fan of courtroom dramas.

7. African Queen: No idea how I missed it.

8. THX 1138: My shame continues.

9. North By Northwest: It's a little before my time.

10: Grosse Pointe Blank: I love me some Cusak, but I didn't see this one.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

elendilmir, I choose Grosse Pointe Blank. It's not the best movie on your list, but I chose it because you love Cusack, and I doubt anyone else will recommend it to you.

I actually ended up watching two movies last night.

Do the Right Thing, was the best film on race relations that I have seen. There were a few lulls during the movie, like the scene where the races all spouted off racist babble, but once the climax came -- all was forgotten. I was reading more about this film on the internet, and it seems that most black people felt that Mookie did the right thing, while white people felt the opposite. For me, I think there was some indicators that Sal felt that he was above the blacks in the community, particularly because of the language he uses during the film. I think that considering the circumstances, what Mookie did was right. Basically, it was a complex movie that didn't really offer any solutions. I wish that my family would have let me watch this over American History X when I was younger.

12 Angry Men, is a great movie. The script was fantastic, and the actors were all perfect in their roles. This is the kind of movie I'd be willing to watch over and over again.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:

6. Do the Right Thing:
6. The 400 Blows: I have wanted to see this for years. I even have a copy of it, but I just have not gotten around to watching it. I think it's about time.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:
7. Lawrence of Arabia: Hmm, a 3 1/2 hour film...another movie I have avoided because of the run time.

9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: I have had an interest in reading the book, and watching the film for nearly ten years -- I have done neither. I love Jack Nicholson as an actor, and I know I would probably love this movie. It's not like I haven't had the chance to watch this either, I have seen it many times in the video store and at the library, but I always end up watching something else.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

elendilmir posted:

Bodnoirbabe: You are hereby ordered to watch Rocky. I know that Stallone turned into a cartoon character later in his career, and indeed in this movie franchise, but the first Rocky is a great movie. And pay attention to the scores at the end.
You missed all of page 9.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Didnt read the rules, Ima tool

elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

You missed all of page 9.

Damned if I didn't, and I apologize. It seems, however that Twin Cinema has given me my homework assignment, so I'm off. I'll have my summary of Grosse Point Blank in a few days.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

elendilmir posted:

Damned if I didn't, and I apologize. It seems, however that Twin Cinema has given me my homework assignment, so I'm off. I'll have my summary of Grosse Point Blank in a few days.

The point is you need to give Wolfgang Pauli a recommendation.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

elendilmir posted:

You need to pick something off of Wolfgang Pauli's list for him to keep everything in order...

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

elendilmir posted:

As to my own list of shame:

1. The French Connection: For a long time I dismissed this as a movie about "old men shooting revolvers".

2. Some Like It Hot: I've seen this in parts, and I remember it being hysterical, but I can't for the life of me tell you a single thing about it.

3. Do The Right Thing: I run hot and cold on Lee. This one came out while I was in a progressive/PC nightmare period in college and I just hated it on principle. I've liked a lot of his stuff since, and I'm willing to make amends.

4. Chinatown: No excuse. Just never saw it.

5. A Serious Man: I'm a huge fan 'o the Cohens, but I missed this one.

6. 12 Angry Men: I'm not a fan of courtroom dramas.

7. African Queen: No idea how I missed it.

8. THX 1138: My shame continues.

9. North By Northwest: It's a little before my time.

10: Grosse Pointe Blank: I love me some Cusak, but I didn't see this one.

You've gotta watch North by Northwest. One of my absolute favorite Hitchcock movies. The auction scene alone is worth it.

EDIT: Looks like I was late to the party!

But hey, I should be renting Casablanca tonight so more to come on that very soon.

Fiction D fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 15, 2010

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

TwinCinema, go watch Casablanca already.

Just finished Fanny and Alexander and loving loved it. It had two things going against it before I even began the movie, it's length and it's director who I know is loved around here but I just have never been able to get into, this changed that. I'm aware this movie has been praised up and down around here so I'll just second every positive thing anyone here has said about it.

La Strada
Barry Lyndon
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Ikiru
Stalker
Cabaret
Grand Illusion
Wings of Desire

Knocked off: Tokyo Story, Fanny and Alexander

elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

The point is you need to give Wolfgang Pauli a recommendation.

I considered that, but didn't want to give two recommendations.

That said:

WOLFGANG PAULI, I recommend that you watch City Of Lost Children.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
Wilhelm Scream, see Barry Lyndon. It's one of my favorite Kubrick films, and it's criminally underseen.

I saw the Sting, and I loved, loved, loved it. It was a load of fun, and Redford, Newman and Shaw were all terrific in it.

Updated list:

1. Fitzcarraldo- I love Herzog, so why I haven’t seen this is inexcusable.

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- Now that I've seen the Sting, I'd like to see their other movie together.

5. Ran- One of Kurosawa’s greatest. Why haven’t I seen it?

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched…

7. Time Bandits- I love Terry Gilliam, but never got around to this one.

8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

10. Any Charlie Chaplin- I am ashamed.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

meanmikhail posted:

I saw the Sting, and I loved, loved, loved it. It was a load of fun, and Redford, Newman and Shaw were all terrific in it.

Everyone else should see this movie, if you haven't already. Ya follow?

Such old-school movie-star charm.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
I'm pretty slow at this, but I finaly watched Taxi Driver . Awesome movie, DeNiro's awesome, and I'm having a fun time imagining Travis as being secretly gay, and channeling his frustration with his own sexuality into his vigilantism.

My list:
1 The Seventh Seal, or any other movie by Bergman for that matter Really, I have no excuse. I'm a swedish film nerd for christ sake, Bergman should be my god!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Cidade de Deus (City of god... I think?) Again, I had this on DVD but I lost it when I moved. Damm shame.

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hellbunny posted:

I'm pretty slow at this, but I finaly watched Taxi Driver . Awesome movie, DeNiro's awesome, and I'm having a fun time imagining Travis as being secretly gay, and channeling his frustration with his own sexuality into his vigilantism.

You better start talking sense.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hellbunny, you shall watch City of God, which is a brilliant film. The director - Fernando Meirelles - has the unique distinction of directing one of my favorite movies of all time (Cidade) & one of my most hated movies (Blindness). Odd, that.

Per the recommendation for me, I finally watched Aguirre. While I enjoyed the hell out of the story-line, the scenery (!), and the cinematography, the movie itself was too Herzogy for me. The Aguirre character just didn't do it for me unfortunately. And the ending with the monkey 'kingdom', come on now, you're just banging me over the head. I decided to watch the movie again, this time with commentary, and actually liked it slightly less -- although the lengths that the cast/crew went to in order to film the movie would probably make an incredible documentary. And what the hell happened to Del Negro, the guy who played the monk/priest? Seemed like the type of role that could launch a career. All in all, I liked the movie, but Herzog continues to be hit or miss for me.

Updated list:

Arkane posted:

It's a Wonderful Life - Every Christmas I'm looked at like a half-wit as to how I could have possibly avoided seeing this movie. I guess it's always been made fun of as overly sappy so I've had a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this until it's the last film to complete on the top 250. I'm also just assuming it's a musical based on clips I've seen...it's a musical, right?

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - everybody on my Criticker list seems to love this movie, but I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago. I'm ambivalent on Herzog, although I've only seen a handful of his movies. Some movies of his I love; others I despise.

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I thought it was only a song on the oldies station.

8 1/2 A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons...mistake?

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
Hellbunny still has to recommend me a movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What obvious reasons are there to avoid The Elephant Man?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's about the Elephant Man

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Arkane, just watch It's a Wonderful Life. For as sappy as it may be or may be perceived, it is legitimately a great movie.

Gone With the Wind certainly is a classic. The movie felt like it had been made much later than 1939. Not my favorite movie in the world, but I can certainly see why it was so big for its time and in fact it has held up fairly well. Worth its watch despite the fact it is very very long.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca - I've just never really thought of watching it.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another Jack classic that I haven't seen.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Unfamiliar with Spike Lee.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack I could pick nearly anything on your list so we'll start at the top. Watch Casablanca.

Watched A Passage to India and it was very good. Visually the compositions were only a slight bit below Lean's best which is still miles above nearly everyone else. If nothing else the man knew how to frame images. The story, about the social relationship between an Indian man, a British woman and an Indian-British Professor, was a bit plodding at the beginning, but it did work and set up a wonderful second half with tension and a hint of mystery. The middle of the film was more atmospheric than I expected, reminiscent of Picnic at Hanging Rock, and helped transition the film from exposition to denouement.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delvaris
Jun 16, 2010
For you Peaceful Anarchy, I choose Yi-Yi, because it truly is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

For my list:
Blade Runner: Simple reason here, I am afraid that given all the hype about it that I have heard over the years I will be disappointed in the final product. I started to watch it once but fell asleep but that had more to do with insomnia the previous night than the movie itself.

Casablanca: Probably the oddest reason on my list, I can't stand the accent/voice/whatever of Humphrey Bogart in that movie. Yeah, I don't know either.

Y tu Mama Tambien: This would be more of a regional pick since I live in the southwest. Much like Blade Runner this one has been hyped up to huge proportions I mean when it came out which was pretty recently it seemed to define a whole generation that was in high school at the time.

Stand By Me: Honest answer? Just haven't got around to it.

Heat: It supposed to be one of the greatest heist movies of all time, however Val Kilmer has never really appealed to me as an actor because I always see him as a really, really bad Batman.

The Godfather: Part II: This is supposed to be one of the greatest sequels of all time, its still the only sequel to win an academy award, however I haven't seen it because I have very fond memories of The Godfather, it is one of my favorite all time movies and I just have never been able to fathom how a sequel would be able to hold up.

Full Metal Jacket: One of those movies where I feel like I've seen enough to get the gist of it via clips shown on Television and from my friends incessantly quoting it over the years.