Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.
To repeat what was said earlier in this page thread, Quovak's Chzo thread is a great read. And not just the LP itself, which has some very funny commentary at parts, but the whole thread, which has both interesting discussion on everything from the horror genre to the slave trade, as well as a plethora of humorous, high quality user-contributions.

Goldom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

If you're a fan of Bobbin's LP's and King's Quest, you should really check out his Quest for Glory LP. Even if you never played the games, it's a great read.

I somehow forgot to reply to this, but the QFG LPs have been keeping me happily entertained for the last couple of weeks. They're a very welcome distraction while doing my own horrible LP and are so comprehensive that they showcase all the extra ways around puzzles with different classes. I've only stopped reading them because I got up to QFG4 and it looks awesome enough (and has been recommended repeatedly to me) to make me wanna play it through on my own first. Plus all the extra dialogue that BT added in with the hero being from Mordavia annoys me a bit. Maybe I'll skip ahead to QFG5...?

slowbeef posted:

I don't hate Deceased Crab, even now. (Shrug.) I don't agree with everything he did, but hey. It's just a bunch of video game videos.

I like you slowbeef.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Corridor posted:

I somehow forgot to reply to this, but the QFG LPs have been keeping me happily entertained for the last couple of weeks. They're a very welcome distraction while doing my own horrible LP and are so comprehensive that they showcase all the extra ways around puzzles with different classes. I've only stopped reading them because I got up to QFG4 and it looks awesome enough (and has been recommended repeatedly to me) to make me wanna play it through on my own first. Plus all the extra dialogue that BT added in with the hero being from Mordavia annoys me a bit. Maybe I'll skip ahead to QFG5...?.
Yeah, that's fair. I do tend to go for crazy ideas when I think of them, and that was one I'm still not sure about. If it helps, the added stuff drops away almost entirely after update 3 or so.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I do tend to go for crazy ideas when I think of them, and that was one I'm still not sure about. If it helps, the added stuff drops away almost entirely after update 3 or so.

Oh cool. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from the game or anything, the archived thread is still very entertaining. I'd just prefer trying to play it myself first, or at least play alongside reading it. Plus that way I'd get to hear the great voice-acting. I am glad you recorded all the dialogue of those three townsfolk, they're what everyone nerds out over when telling me about the game. I sent the links to someone I know that's a big fan and he was pretty stoked. :) I think I spoiled some of the game for myself because I just had to watch all those videos too.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
You know, I was just going to post "What the gently caress happened to Dark Id that guy's addicted to LPing and we haven't heard from Him since Drakengard wrapped" but lo and behold I summoned Him back from Hell by thinking this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315723

Already looks like a must watch/read.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 12, 2010

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
OatmealRaisin's Dead Rising LP has been reborn from the dead and resumed. If you watch one 360-exclusive zombie-themed LP this year, watch this one. The commentary is low-key but always informative and funny, and the extra exploration videos make this the ultimate Dead Rising guide.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I just finished reading through Pesmerga's amazing VTM Bloodlines LP in the archives, and I was wondering if there were any other "In Character" LPs that I should check out.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

blakout posted:

I just finished reading through Pesmerga's amazing VTM Bloodlines LP in the archives, and I was wondering if there were any other "In Character" LPs that I should check out.

The Fallout, Arcanum, and Animal Crossing (yes, really) LPs are all in a similar style to that one and tend to be regarded well.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Uplink is pretty good, too.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Erenthal posted:

OatmealRaisin's Dead Rising LP has been reborn from the dead and resumed. If you watch one 360-exclusive zombie-themed LP this year, watch this one. The commentary is low-key but always informative and funny, and the extra exploration videos make this the ultimate Dead Rising guide.

:swoon:

I'd entirely given up.

Watch this LP.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Can anyone recommend me some good point and click adventure game LPs? Any format is fine.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good point and click adventure game LPs? Any format is fine.

This one's going on, and covers what must be the worse looking game I've seen since Daikatana: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315723

And if you go to the LP Archives, look up Harvester, Phantasmagoria, and (I think) Dark Seed 1 and 2 by Slowbeef.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Maynia has been tackling the Broken Sword games. The first one is finished but still in the active forums, and The Smoking Mirror just got started. They're both done in video, but between the full voice acting, the animation, and the editing Maynia does to cut out backtracking and other time-wasters, it turns out pretty well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

timeandtide posted:

This one's going on, and covers what must be the worse looking game I've seen since Daikatana: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315723

And if you go to the LP Archives, look up Harvester, Phantasmagoria, and (I think) Dark Seed 1 and 2 by Slowbeef.
You're forgetting the real classics. The entire Space Quest series is in the archive, as are some very interesting takes on the first two Monkey Island games. Also, while it hasn't been archived, Frankomatic recently went through the entire King's Quest series starting here, aside from the last game. And if you'd like to hear a grown man cry, Nidoking finished the series with the terrible Mask of Eternity starting here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Bobbin Threadbare.

Quest for Glory 1-5 (Screenshot, doctored content)
Dragonsphere (Video, requires Archive access)
Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion (Video, ongoing)

blakout posted:

The Arcanum LP was recommended, and I second that recommendation.

If you like the Arcanum one, there is a long-running (70+ chapters) "In Character" LP of Divine Divinity currently going on, in a style similar to that of the Arcanum LP.complete with doctored images, although opinions are mixed about whether it's good or not, so I'm mostly including that link for the sake of completeness.

If you don't like the Arcanum one, odds are you won't like that one, either.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Also, while it hasn't been archived, Frankomatic recently went through the entire King's Quest series starting here, aside from the last game.

It is actually up on the archive :).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Recommending this for bravery alone (but it helps that the videos are decent, too): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318034

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

timeandtide posted:

Recommending this for bravery alone (but it helps that the videos are decent, too): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318034

Not to question your recommendation but isn't it usually in good taste to wait until there is, you know, more then one video.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

You're forgetting the real classics. The entire Space Quest series is in the archive, as are some very interesting takes on the first two Monkey Island games. Also, while it hasn't been archived, Frankomatic recently went through the entire King's Quest series starting here, aside from the last game. And if you'd like to hear a grown man cry, Nidoking finished the series with the terrible Mask of Eternity starting here.

Despite what I said earlier in the thread, I really liked Frankomatic's King's Quest LPs. I watched them back to back over a few days. In 6 his girlfriend joins in and the LP devolves into them just chatting to each other which is boring and unfunny (dunno if 7 has this too) but 1-5 are all good.

And yeah, Bobbin Threadbare's QFG series and his Dragonsphere VLP are classy.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
Can someone reccomend me a good VLP with no guest commentators? I don't care if it's currently active or finished, voiced or subtitled, just something without additional people talking while one person is playing

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Cryptobotanist posted:

Can someone reccomend me a good VLP with no guest commentators? I don't care if it's currently active or finished, voiced or subtitled, just something without additional people talking while one person is playing

Start with the Banjo thread, and once you catch up with that, I'd say continue with Spiro.

Nekomata
Oct 9, 2009

Let's do it!

Cryptobotanist posted:

Jamesman's Yakuza thread is mostly single person commentary. There's also Oatmeal Raisins Dead Rising that just started back up.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Could give Giragast's Chaser LP a shot? The game looks absolutely atrocious, but remains interesting to watch due to Giragast pointing out lots of little level design features. He also goes above and beyond with some amazing editing work, the intros/outros are fantastic.

Still ongoing, but the episodes are usually 40-odd minutes in length, so there's plenty to amuse yourself with.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Everyone should watch the Chaser LP, though I am in the minority (along with Giragast) that thinks the game is kinda interesting even on its own.

Cryptobotanist posted:

I almost hesitate to endorse these, but there's technically no guests (just lots of thread interaction and one plucky puppy) but if you're in the mood for someone bumbling and yelling a lot in an entertaining way, Khad is usually worth a watch. The man is also an updating machine which is pretty nice.

Edit: Oh, and might as well recommend the never ending, but always entertaining AVP Megathread. Xenomrph a consummate single-commentator LPer.

Edit2:VVV forgot that one, Squint's the best and that's my current Lp to fall asleep listening to. For such a hard game, it's very relaxing.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cryptobotanist posted:

Demon's Souls is fantastic.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Seconding Demon's Souls. The game is ridiculously hard, but Squint is really loving good at it. When I played it, I got pissed at the Flame Lurker (repeated deaths) only to get to that point on the LP and watch him handle the rear end in a top hat on the first go

<:mad:>

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I wanna throw Setz's Advent Rising thread a little love. It's one of those super informative LPs like Trespasser or the AvP stuff. It really reminds me of the Dead Space LP with all the talk about developmental history and extended canon and stuff. Setz is definitely taking the angle that AR was a diamond in the rough, while honestly to me it seems like even if the game was completed it would be pretty terrible. Still, it's an enjoyable, in-depth LP that is update with great frequency.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cryptobotanist posted:

I'd also recommend you try seeing James315's Battlrfiel 1942 LP before it falls into the archives.

Just to add as well, I'm enjoying the Divine Divinity LP mentioned by Stabbey_the_Clown.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cryptobotanist posted:

Can someone reccomend me a good VLP with no guest commentators?

ffuok's ongoing LP of Hidden and Dangerous 2 is pretty good. For the most part the videos are ffuok running around trying to tactically kill nazis and then the game screws him over in oft hilarious ways.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cryptobotanist posted:

Can someone recommend me a good VLP with no guest commentators?

I honestly don't know why this hasn't come up in the responses to your question yet. It is seriously quality stuff.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Qylvaran posted:

I honestly don't know why this hasn't come up in the responses to your question yet. It is seriously quality stuff.

Because not everybody can watch it. If there's no SD version, I'm not interested. Why recommend something that will likely be download only -- and even then will still require re-encoding if you have an internet only machine or a game machine that hasn't been upgraded in the past 5 years.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

EricFate posted:

Why recommend something that will likely be download only -- and even then will still require re-encoding if you have an internet only machine or a game machine that hasn't been upgraded in the past 5 years.

Because this thread isn't called "LP Recommendations (but only if my old 386 can run it)"?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

meteor9 posted:

Because this thread isn't called "LP Recommendations (but only if my old 386 can run it)"?

True, but there comes a point where I have to stop and ask myself, if a machine can run Mass Effect 2 out of the box, and it can't play back a streaming video from the internet -- is the problem with the computer or is the problem with the video.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

EricFate posted:

True, but there comes a point where I have to stop and ask myself, if a machine can run Mass Effect 2 out of the box, and it can't play back a streaming video from the internet -- is the problem with the computer or is the problem with the video.

The answer is that there's something wrong with the computer.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

EricFate posted:

I think the problem could be with the intervening step, your browser. Web browsers aren't purpose built to handle 500+ mb streaming videos like RI's HD LP and can, on occasion become unstable and unresponsive while doing so. Also possible that you lack available ram.
This isn't the thread for it but try downloading a video and then watching it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, streaming HD video is a crapshoot for me. For starters, my single core processor isn't really up to the task. But some players are better at it than others. No disrespect to baldurk, but it seems like the player he uses isn't as good as, say, youtube's player. But of course, he's just a hobbyist and youtube is a professional massive site. And if I had a multi-core processor, it probably wouldn't even matter.

So I just download every HD video on the LP forum and I don't really see anything wrong with having to do this.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This deserves to be pimped once again:

Let's Play Risk by Obama 2012 and a cast of thousands.

If you missed it (for shame), Obama 2012 ran two games with two sets of players, and both are just profoundly entertaining. The production values are fantastic given that it's a boardgame SSLP, especially in the second game where the photoshops and dispatches between leaders nearly overshadowed the game itself.

When I last looked through it, a lot of the pictures were dead, so I'm not sure how readable it is, but it's worth a read and, one would hope, an archive.

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, streaming HD video is a crapshoot for me. For starters, my single core processor isn't really up to the task. But some players are better at it than others. No disrespect to baldurk, but it seems like the player he uses isn't as good as, say, youtube's player. But of course, he's just a hobbyist and youtube is a professional massive site. And if I had a multi-core processor, it probably wouldn't even matter.

So I just download every HD video on the LP forum and I don't really see anything wrong with having to do this.

I was having trouble with this sort of playback a while back, but only in any flash player's fullscreen mode - it turned out to be just FF being left open for ages that was the problem.

Additionally I had a problem (which has solved itself somehow) with stuttering video when a player streamed an mp4 directly. Putting the mp4 in an flv container had no such issues.

None of that really helps, but yea - it's not entirely uncommon for a decent comp to have trouble with streaming HD.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Strange Matter posted:

This deserves to be pimped once again:

Let's Play Risk by Obama 2012 and a cast of thousands.

If you missed it (for shame), Obama 2012 ran two games with two sets of players, and both are just profoundly entertaining. The production values are fantastic given that it's a boardgame SSLP, especially in the second game where the photoshops and dispatches between leaders nearly overshadowed the game itself.

When I last looked through it, a lot of the pictures were dead, so I'm not sure how readable it is, but it's worth a read and, one would hope, an archive.

I did archived the thread a while back.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Risk/

While there were a few images missing, it in most intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Too bad you couldn't get the banter and photoshops archived, but it's still pretty great.

• Locked thread