Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
I am lost without a recommendation. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

meanmikhail posted:

5. Ran- One of Kurosawa’s greatest. Why haven’t I seen it?

I'm watching Seven Samurai today, so you know what you're watching? Ran! Then we can high five because we are both so incredibly awesome to be sharing a Kurosawa day.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

marioinblack posted:

Gone With the Wind certainly is a classic. The movie felt like it had been made much later than 1939. Not my favorite movie in the world, but I can certainly see why it was so big for its time and in fact it has held up fairly well. Worth its watch despite the fact it is very very long.

Yay! I thought you were going to hate me so much for making you watch that, as it's pretty dramatically girly, but I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it! Now you can watch all the other manly movies in your list!

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

meanmikhail posted:

Hellbunny still has to recommend me a movie.

Sorry, Vorpalbunny distracted me.

meanmikhail posted:

10. Any Charlie Chaplin- I am ashamed.

Watch the Dictator. I'm pretty sure that's his best. Hell, even Hitler liked it (which is good... I guess?)!

penismightier posted:

You better start talking sense.

It's like Frued 101 that guns=penises. Travis plays with guns.
Ergo, Travis wants to play with penises. That and he is completly incapable of not only understandig women, but understanding what he's supposed to do with them. At best he can play a weird father figure,but even that is stretching it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Hellbunny posted:

Sorry, Vorpalbunny the dazzling charm of Redford and Newman distracted me.

You are forgiven.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
Alright, I happened to have Ran recorded on TV and watched it to have a loving awesome Kurosawa day with Jolo. I'll go by Hellbunny's pick of The Great Dictator before I repost my list/recommend something for someone else.

At any rate, Ran was incredible and now ranks alongside Rashomon and Seven Samurai as one of my three favorite Kurosawas. It had me from the opening shots, which are really breathtaking. I loved the long battle sequence at the midsection and the lack of sound aside from music at a certain point during it. The actress who played Lady Kaede stole the show for my money, but everyone is good in it, and it's a staggering achievement for Kurosawa. Also, I love that score.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Delvaris, watch Blade Runner. Try to get your hands on The Final Cut, but by all means, avoid the theatrical release with the infamously horrible voice-overs. This is one of my favorite movies — a sci-fi noir with amazing production and mood. It's not the fastest of films, so make sure you're prepared to make the 2 hour commitment with your eyes open. And ignore the hype; it's just something you gotta see for yourself.

Finally watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The dubbing was distracting at first, but then I really got into it and those three hours just flew by. The dynamic between the three characters worked so well with such little dialogue. Obviously, the cinematography was breathtaking, and after watching the making-of featurettes, I'm amazed Leone (and the English dubbers/2002 restoration team) pulled things off so well. I kind of want to see the other two movies, so Fistful of Dollars is taking its place on...

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
1. The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
8. A Fistful of Dollars
After a great experience with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I'm curious to see some more of Leone's work. I know this features Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character (which I found out was just a marketing ploy) and that it's a remake of Yojimbo (a great Kurosawa film, but not my favorite). My interest is piqued!

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 17, 2010

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
thegloaming, watch The Incredibles. It's just a whole lot of fun, and one of the least kids movie feeling Pixar movies, in my opinion. It's probably my favorite superhero movie.

I wasn't too into One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'd give it a 3 out of 5. The performances were all very good, but the script didn't do it for me. I found myself more interested in the smaller, simpler scenes, like McMurphy talking to the head doctor very early on in the film, or the stuff on the basketball court. I didn't find myself caring much about what was happening in the bigger scenes, and the final scene where the chief kills McMurphy and flees just felt too cheesy for me to have any emotional response to.

Here's my updated list:

Halloween - I'm a Carpenter fan, but this is one of three movies I've never seen of his. I DVR'd it off IFC once, but the widescreen was all stretched out and hosed up as they do with so many movies on there and I didn't want to see it like that. I tried renting it once from a video store, but the disc was scratched. Then I just lost interest.

The Shining - I've only seen two Kubrick movies, 2001 and Clockwork Orange. 2001 I liked a great deal and Clockwork Orange I thought was just 'eh'. I know a lot of people love the movie, and there were things I liked in it, but overall it just didn't really interest me. I've avoided The Shining because I figure I'll probably feel the same about it. I've seen clips of it they didn't grab me.

The City of Lost Children - I don't really know anything about this movie, just that it's supposed to be good. Never felt any pull towards finding out anything more about it. I'd be going into this one blind.

Midnight Cowboy - I know nothing about this movie, except 'that song' plays in it. Just saw Dustin Hoffman in American Buffalo recently, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen him in. I hear he's good in this too.

Mulholland Drive - I love Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart. Hated Inland Empire with a fervor. Thought Lost Highway had some good parts. For some reason I lump Inland and Highway in with this one, because I hear this one is sorta aimless too. Maybe it isn't though, this is just based on hearsay.

The Night of the Hunter - Love Robert Mitchum, know nothing about this other than he's in it and Undertow (which I liked a lot) was heavily influenced by it.

Badlands - Love Days of Heaven, haven't seen anything else by Malick. I have great respect for him, but I've never gotten around to this one, which I'd like to see before moving on to his more recent work.

Heathers - I feel like I'd like this movie, but have never gotten around to it. I love the quote 'gently caress me gently with a chainsaw' but I know nothing else about this movie.

Paranoid Park - Loved Elephant, hated Gerry, hated Last Days. I fear I'll hate this one too, after those. If it's like Elephant though, I'll like it.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The original, not the remake, of course. The only Tobe Hooper film I've seen is The Funhouse, which I loved. I should definitely watch this, but I haven't.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 17, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Glad you went with that pick. I've been wanting to see it for a while, and plus I might not even have to wait for Netflix if my friend has a copy!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Codyclarke, you get Night of the Hunter. Mitchum was a treasure.

La Dolce Vita was very good but like a loving hour too long. I didn't like it as much as 8 1/2 but that may just be movie nostalgia talking. That opening shot of Christ on the helicopter should've been in Bunuel.

And maybe it's the lady in me, but the Trevi fountain bit gave me goosebumps. Fellini was as self-centered as Hitchcock - so many of his movies were about Fellini (that's not a bad thing).

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Anatomy of a Murder Kind of an odd one for me to have missed considering I love Jimmy Stewart so much I once dug up his corpse and cuddled with it.

The Grand Illusion I even own the fucker and I haven't watched it yet.

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier posted:

La Dolce Vita was very good but like a loving hour too long. I didn't like it as much as 8 1/2 but that may just be movie nostalgia talking. That opening shot of Christ on the helicopter should've been in Bunuel.

That doesn't sound too hot. Bummer, I was hoping it would be the film that really turned me onto Fellini.

Also I think we just had a total recommender love-in. You recommended my recommender a film after seeing a film that I recommended to you. :gay:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I think I just came.

Dolce Vita's definitely worth watching, you might get more out of than I did. I feel like I'll like it more the second time, too.

I wish there was a way to keep track of who recommended what - I want to know what LesterGroans thought of American Werewolf in London ASAP.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier posted:

Dolce Vita's definitely worth watching, you might get more out of than I did. I feel like I'll like it more the second time, too.

I think I probably just need to be in the right mood and then go on a Fellini mini-marathon. That's the only way that guy's gonna make an impression on me. Even 8 1/2 wasn't a movie I absolutely adored, something about it holds me back from making such declarations...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

He's one of those directors who has such a specific set of interests and obsessions that if you don't share those interests, his movies are hard to get a handle on. It's why I can't really get into Bergman. Hitchcock was similar (which is why I mentioned him earlier), but luckily it's impossible to dislike Hitchcock.

EDIT: though it should be mentioned that the interests on display in 8 1/2 are literally loving bitches and getting money.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 17, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I have yet to see any more Fellini despite really enjoying La Dolce Vita and absolutely adoring 8 1/2. I really have no excuse, I've just never gotten the itch. :\

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

I think I probably just need to be in the right mood and then go on a Fellini mini-marathon. That's the only way that guy's gonna make an impression on me. Even 8 1/2 wasn't a movie I absolutely adored, something about it holds me back from making such declarations...

You know, it's possible you may not like Fellini. I loved 8 1/2 but every other Fellini film I've seen has been at most above average and at worst trash. Like penismightier said he constantly recycles his obsessions and frankly they're very shallow obsessions.

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
penismightier watch Anatomy of a Murder. It's Jimmy Stewart for 2 and half hours.

Watched Easy Rider and it was pretty much what I was expecting: Hippies, drugs, motorcycles and America. Hopper got annoying really quickly, but Nicholson was a breath of fresh air and I somehow managed to forget that I knew how the movie ended (until like a minute before it happened). I was never bored with it, I'm a fan of meandering road movies with good soundtracks so that part really worked well with me.

toro913 posted:

Battle of Algiers: I've gotten it out from the library twice and returned it w/o watching it, mostly due to the length.

Any Satyajit Ray: just haven't taken the plunge

Metropolis: I have to be in a very specific mood to appreciate silent movies

any of the Evil Dead movies: I'm not a big horror fan, so it never interested me

Once Upon a Time in America: length

any Douglas Sirk films: just haven't gotten around to them

the 1933 King Kong: i pretty much know the story already

The Last Picture Show: no reason

Das Boot: I started watching it had to stop and never returned

Easy Rider
Bullitt: other than Steve McQueen and cars, no clue what it's about

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You know, it's possible you may not like Fellini. I loved 8 1/2 but every other Fellini film I've seen has been at most above average and at worst trash. Like penismightier said he constantly recycles his obsessions and frankly they're very shallow obsessions.

Me, not like a critically-acclaimed director? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

toro913 posted:

penismightier watch Anatomy of a Murder. It's Jimmy Stewart for 2 and half hours.

Thanks b.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, I've watched a fair amount of Fellini, and if you're interested in the opinion of someone else who loves 8 1/2 but is lukewarm on La Dolce Vita...

Love:
Nights of Cabiria
8 1/2
Juliet of the Spirits

Like:
Variety Lights
And the Ship Sails On
I Vitelloni
Il Bidone
La Dolce Vita
La Strada

Meh:
Roma
The White Sheik
Satyricon

Hate:
Amarcord

I'll be watching Casanova pretty soon, but I have low expectations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I have City of Lost Children but I have to go to work in a loving hour. I broke and decided to watch Lonesome Dove today instead, I'll post my impressions with CoLC, but it's on my Criticker already.

*edit*

The Lucas posted:

...of 2 hours and 5 mins?
It's an admittedly long two hours and five minutes.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

toro913 posted:

Battle of Algiers: I've gotten it out from the library twice and returned it w/o watching it, mostly due to the length.

...of 2 hours and 5 mins?

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
I could've sworn it said much more than that at the back of the DVD.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
toro913, I'm going to pick Once Upon a Time in America. Yeah it's long, but it's also really good. Except for that ringing phone at the beginning.

Just finished watching Braveheart. I went in not expecting to like it much, but I actually like it quite a bit. I found some parts of it incredibly moving, like Robert the Bruce on the battlefield after Falkirk, and the speech he gives his father. Angus Mcfadyen totally stole the show for me in that last hour or so. Also loved David O'Hara as Stephen the crazy Irishman. Some really beautiful scenery, though not surprising considering where they were filming. It felt a little long in places, especially after Wallace is captured. Overall though, really solid film.

Also watched Battleship Potemkin since it's only an hour or so, and it's available for instant viewing. It is really good, the Odessa Staircase sequence is fabulous, but yeah, really heavy-handed propaganda movie.

Updated list:
1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Tokyo Story I've heard of it, but don't really know anything about it.

3. It's A Wonderful Life I love Jimmy Stewart, so it is rather inexcusable that I haven't seen this yet.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Sunrise Same reason as The Conformist

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Holy poo poo, how'd I avoid An American Werewolf in London for so long? It's funny and scary at the same time. Griffin Dunne was great as Jack and David Naughton was a sympathetic lead. It was a perfect cult classic. The effects hit me just right, the music was hilarious. All-in-all it was a really solid horror.

tokillthesunflower watch It's a Wonderful Life. I don't care how sappy some people think it is, it's a great movie and as a Stewart fan you should see it.

Revised list(with replacements):

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me
The King of Comedy - I think it's the only Scorsese flick I haven't seen

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already
An American Werewolf in London - There's no excuse for this, it seems like the perfect type of horror movie for me
City of God - I keep wanting to pick up City of Men from a local store, but holding off until I see this movie... but I always forget to actively seek it out

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time
Scenes From a Marriage - I'm light in my Bergman area and this is getting a lot of playing in the Consensus thread, so I'm adding it here

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Holy poo poo, how'd I avoid An American Werewolf in London for so long? It's funny and scary at the same time. Griffin Dunne was great as Jack and David Naughton was a sympathetic lead. It was a perfect cult classic. The effects hit me just right, the music was hilarious. All-in-all it was a really solid horror.

This pleases me. Child murderer or not, John Landis can really bring it sometimes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

penismightier posted:

This pleases me. Child murderer or not, John Landis can really bring it sometimes.

I was gonna make a Landis crack too, but it depressed me too much :(

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

John Landis: An American rear end in a top hat in Burbank

John Landis: The Kentucky Fried Children

John Landis: Beverly Hills Crook III (with three times the casualties!)

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 17, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Landis was just born into the wrong era. Michael Curtiz drowned like five guys and Cecil B. Demille once fired Victor Mature for refusing to wrestle a lion.

EDIT: Yo, how loving hot is Jenny Agutter in American Werewolf. When she comes out in his NYU t-shirt and nothing else, gotdamn

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 17, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

toro913 posted:

I could've sworn it said much more than that at the back of the DVD.

Hopefully you watch it now :) It's a great film :)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
LesterGroans, you will watch City of God.

Just finished with Casablanca, and while I did think it was a good movie -- it's just not one I will revisit anytime soon. I am not really sure what it was missing for me either, because, there's nothing to even criticize. Oh well!

quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain:
2. Blade Runner: This seems like something I should have already watched.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca:
5. WALL-E: I re-watched the Toy Story movies the other day, and I am thinking that I need to catch up with Pixar movies. After this, I will probably end up watching Up.

6. Do the Right Thing:
6. The 400 Blows: I have wanted to see this for years. I even have a copy of it, but I just have not gotten around to watching it. I think it's about time.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:
7. Lawrence of Arabia: Hmm, a 3 1/2 hour film...another movie I have avoided because of the run time.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: I have had an interest in reading the book, and watching the film for nearly ten years -- I have done neither. I love Jack Nicholson as an actor, and I know I would probably love this movie. It's not like I haven't had the chance to watch this either, I have seen it many times in the video store and at the library, but I always end up watching something else.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
From your list Twin Cinema, I recommend that you watch The Shawshank Redemption. It's one of the best films of the 1990s and along with Pulp Fiction, form an awesome two-some of must-see 1994 movies.

This is my list of films that I should see but never got around to actually doing it:

1. The Sergio Leone trilogy - I'm not that fond of Western movies so along with the long run times of each film, I can't muster up the courage to see at least one film from the set.

2. Mean Streets - From reading the synopsis of this and Taxi Driver, they seem to have similar themes so why bother with this aside from it being Martin Scorsese's breakthrough film?

3. Monty Phyton and the Holy Grail - Call me shallow but I may not get the comedy in this.

4. Metropolis - silent + not colored = aversion

5. Green Mile - I like movies set in prison never got around on watching this. Should I bother?

I'll keep my list short so that I could organize it better. With a list this short, maybe the turnover would be quicker.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Demented Guy posted:

I'll keep my list short so that I could organize it better. With a list this short, maybe the turnover would be quicker.

Turnover's as quick as you can watch them. I'm eager to get to some of the other movies on my list, but I haven't watch Dr. Strangelove yet cause we're moving in two days and I'm too busy. Kind of makes me sad I can't move forward right now.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Demented Guy posted:

3. Monty Phyton and the Holy Grail - Call me shallow but I may not get the comedy in this.

If you don't like Monty Phython, this won't change your mind. (Meaning of Life will)

[Shame!]
Godfathers - Any of them: I really don't know why, I like the concept, Casino is one of my favorite movies, but I feel it will just be dated and boring.

Charlie Chaplin: Modern Times - Not just Modern Times, any Charlie Chaplin movie. I just think it will be to dated to appreciate.

Dr. Strangelove - This one I just don't want to see, all the hype makes it sound stupid.

The Third Man - This is just one of those movies that everyone says I have to see, besides someone spoiled the ending for me.

Crazy Heart - The Oscars were a huge letdown this year, I usually try and watch all the nominees/winners (Within reason, the gently caress would I watch Blindside) and everything else has just sucked (Hurt Locker, Avatar, Serious Man) All letdowns for me, I figure I will skip it just for loosing to the Hurt Locker, shameful.

Schindler's List - It just seems like the movie is very boring, I've seen the impassioned speech at the end, does that count?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Mrens posted:

Dr. Strangelove - This one I just don't want to see, all the hype makes it sound stupid.

Dr. Strangelove isn't stupid at all! So you get to watch it. As for my list.

1. Wild Strawberries - I don't really know what this movie is even about but I did like The Seventh Seal. I guess you can go ahead and lump all of Bergman's films that aren't Persona or Seventh Seal in with this one.

2. Any silent film ever - I just don't even know where to begin with silent movies. I'm not against them in any respect.

3. Schindler's List - As it would happen, I'm an Anti-Semite.

5. Patton - I also hate America, apparently.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Turnover's as quick as you can watch them. I'm eager to get to some of the other movies on my list, but I haven't watch Dr. Strangelove yet cause we're moving in two days and I'm too busy. Kind of makes me sad I can't move forward right now.

A short list makes it NOT too overwhelming to accomplish. I rather see 5 movies to watch than be overwhelmed by a list double that number. It's all psychological really.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mrens posted:

If you don't like Monty Phython, this won't change your mind. (Meaning of Life will)

I'd say the opposite. MP & THG is the only Monty Python thing I really thought was hilarious. Especially movie-wise.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The films all have their qualities. Holy Grail is probably the most anarchic, the plot following whims and jokes flying out of left field, while Life Of Brian is the most straightforward film (Cleese once commented "Yes, it has got a bit of a shape, hasn't it?"). Meaning Of Life is the most episodic, and as a result it's the most hit-or-miss. I will give it points for being hilariously cruel in its black humor (the Mr. Creosote sketch is possibly the best thing they ever did).

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Jim Barris: watch Nosferatu. I think that might've been the first silent film I watched and it's a really great way to get into silents. Plus it's a really good early horror film, and was a huge influence on vampire fiction.

I watched Welcome to the Dollhouse a few days ago, although I hadn't really had a good chance to respond to it until now. It was really good and did a good job dealing with alienation and being a dumb kid. The way that everyone poo poo on the main character was a bit over the top, though.

My updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Holy poo poo, City of god was awesome! Everything about it is just so awesome.
One of the best.

My updated list list:
1 The Seventh Seal, or any other movie by Bergman for that matter Really, I have no excuse. I'm a swedish film nerd for christ sake, Bergman should be my god!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

dotCommunism posted:

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Watch this. Hell, at the very least, you'l know what they're really saying during the infamous "Hitler rants in his bunker scene" that got big on youtube.