Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

azflyboy posted:

Plus, having someone abusing narcotics in a job that's normally dangerous is incredibly unsafe for everyone on board, so there's no way the Discovery crew would have kept quiet if they thought Jake was that stoned before.

You mean the same Discovery crew that is getting caught bringing drugs into Alaska?

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/05/07/deadliest-catch-production-manager-faces-felony-drug-charges/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Didn't someone in this thread mention how baked Jake looked to them during an earlier episode?

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe its a personality thing. Maybe, outside of what the cameras see, he knows them well enough to know that Jake has the right mentality to be a good captain in a much shorter amount of time then Josh does.

Oh no doubt, I just feel bad for Josh. He's been there for his dad a lot more than Jake.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I think it's more along the lines that he knows that Josh COULD do it, but I think Phil thought that Josh SHOULDN'T do it for a living due to family, personality or some other reason.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I thought I heard Phil say about Josh that Josh DIDN'T want to be captain at all. Although I think Josh would be the better captain by far than Jake, certainly at this point.
Jake has been pissing me off for like 2-3 seasons at this point. He always has an excuse for EVERYTHING, treats his older brother like poo poo because he has seniority on the boat by a couple years, and just never seemed like a stand up guy. Buying his TV with his dads credit card being one example, plus the dozens of times he has an answer back to his dad.

I've worked with 100 people like Jake, and they were all the same. Doing just enough to get by but always on the verge of loving up bad. It get's tireing after a while.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

TheRealLuquado posted:

I thought I heard Phil say about Josh that Josh DIDN'T want to be captain at all. Although I think Josh would be the better captain by far than Jake, certainly at this point.

Yeah, he did say that Josh didn't want it. It's funny that, despite being younger, Jake was working on the boat first, and when Josh first showed up, he looked more like the gently caress up loser while Jake seemed to be the responsible one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Some site interviewed Josh about the upcoming episode and Jake's habit.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/06/16/josh-harris-phil-harris-deadliest-catch/?ncid=webmail

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would have totally put the JATO II failure up higher in the list. It was just a fantastically horrible moment as absolutely the worst thing that could happen did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, both Jakes losing their dads in the same year.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, how active is Mythbusters discussion in here? I was contemplating giving the show a thread of its own.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, how active is Mythbusters discussion in here? I was contemplating giving the show a thread of its own.

It differs from episode to episode, it's just slow tonight because tonight's episode is a clip show in line with Discovery's 25th anniversary.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

iastudent posted:

It differs from episode to episode, it's just slow tonight because tonight's episode is a clip show in line with Discovery's 25th anniversary.

Oh, as I figured, I just thought I'd ask what it generally was before I clog up the forum with another one of my threads.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem with a Mythbusters thread is that the show has such a haphazard new episode airing schedule.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, as I figured, I just thought I'd ask what it generally was before I clog up the forum with another one of my threads.

There's a handful of people that follow Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch in here but not really enough to justify a dedicated thread for either.

The completely schizophrenic scheduling for Mythbusters may have something to do with that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm loving Grant's robot army backdrop.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

On the flip side, I've contemplated making a Travel Channel megathread since there's some stuff on there I'd think some people would like. Man v. Food is an exception since there was a thread for that last season that got some attention and I made one for this season, but I could always roll that into the megathread.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

iastudent posted:

On the flip side, I've contemplated making a Travel Channel megathread since there's some stuff on there I'd think some people would like. Man v. Food is an exception since there was a thread for that last season that got some attention and I made one for this season, but I could always roll that into the megathread.

That would probably be better since the new season or No Reservations start in a couple of weeks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

iastudent posted:

I would be surprised if there wasn't a few people who watch No Reservations around here. Actually I wonder if a food show megathread wouldn't do well. Lots of people like those cake making shows, Alton Brown, No Reservations :smug:2, Man v. Food, that one show where the guy eats the grossest poo poo possible, Three Sheets.

I would do one but :effort:. Well maybe if I get bored.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This is a pretty telling quote from the article from Josh:

quote:

Yeah. We've grown closer in a lot of aspects. I know more about business than he does, so he lets me take the reigns on a lot of it. I'm looking out for him now because before we both had our eye on our father. Now it's all on my lap. Jake's out fishing right now, so I'm here with the aftermath of all this stuff. Jake's been taking care of himself and I'm really proud of that because it's not an easy task. I've been doing the best job that I can with getting everything put together and making sure my crew has a job.

I hope things work out for them and the rest of the CM crew.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

IRQ posted:

I would be surprised if there wasn't a few people who watch No Reservations around here. Actually I wonder if a food show megathread wouldn't do well. Lots of people like those cake making shows, Alton Brown, No Reservations :smug:2, Man v. Food, that one show where the guy eats the grossest poo poo possible, Three Sheets.

I would do one but :effort:. Well maybe if I get bored.

An interesting idea, but might be too diversified in terms of networks to keep up on, especially since I don't watch all of those. I could see something like it working in GWS, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Good Eats is an addicting show. I wish Good Eats, Man v. Food, and No Reservations were on the same network.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The lisp on the bumper ad guy, holy crap.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

iastudent posted:

An interesting idea, but might be too diversified in terms of networks to keep up on, especially since I don't watch all of those. I could see something like it working in GWS, though.

I lurk there fairly often, and no, it would turn into a Food Network bitchfest instantly.

ToastyPotato posted:

Good Eats is an addicting show.

Addictive. :eng99: :smithicide:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

IRQ posted:

I lurk there fairly often, and no, it would turn into a Food Network bitchfest instantly.

Oh.... that's lovely. If someone who keeps up with all those shows wants to make a thread here, feel free.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
Who at Discovery thought it was a good idea to air After the Catch that specifically mentions Phil dying the week before the episode in which he dies?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Emancipator posted:

Who at Discovery thought it was a good idea to air After the Catch that specifically mentions Phil dying the week before the episode in which he dies?

The person who decided that getting decent ratings is worth more than a "surprise" that most people who watch the show would be aware of anyway?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Travel Channel megathread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318173

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Emancipator posted:

When Phil died, they had a pretty large tribute to him on the network, so unless people who watch the show stopped watching the network when the season ends, there is no way they didn't know. It was also on a lot of news reports.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Overbite posted:

The lisp on the bumper ad guy, holy crap.

I noticed that too. The weird thing is that he sounds like the normal bumper guy, just with a lisp. Maybe he was wearing a retainer or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ToastyPotato posted:

When Phil died, they had a pretty large tribute to him on the network, so unless people who watch the show stopped watching the network when the season ends, there is no way they didn't know. It was also on a lot of news reports.

I think the complaint wasn't that it was a surprise, but that they should have had the episode where the other captains address actually on after he died. More of a continuity kind of thing really.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Emancipator posted:

How are they going to explain a show about the captains talking and no Phil?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

lordblytzkrieg posted:

How are they going to explain a show about the captains talking and no Phil?
I think the point is that they should have premiered After the Catch a week later than they did.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
^^^ Yeah, that's exactly my point. Just for a continuity sake, they could have waited a week.

However, I saw the summaries for each episode for the rest of the season and there would be no good time to start "After the Catch" without giving away the fact that Phil had died. The only way they'd be able to do it is to not air "After the Catch" at all.

It's going to be a brutal rest of the season.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Anyone else notice during that Mythbusters countdown the bumper showing the "polish a turd" myth? Remember how much Adam and Jamie danced around using the phrase "turd" and this promo just came out and said it. Struck me as very odd.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TL posted:

Anyone else notice during that Mythbusters countdown the bumper showing the "polish a turd" myth? Remember how much Adam and Jamie danced around using the phrase "turd" and this promo just came out and said it. Struck me as very odd.

The production team probably thought Discovery standards and practices would come down on using turd so they played it safe. There really are no rules for cable so it's all a guessing game as to what the networks will or won't pucker their assholes at when it comes to the self-censorship that goes on with it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I feel fairly certain you can say "fart" on TV but they insisted on saying "flatus", which annoyed me immensely. Just say fart, you jackasses. This isn't going in a peer-reviewed journal, its OK to be the tiniest bit crude considering you're getting in a chair and showing the world your jeans-covered rear end in a top hat while trying to light a fart on fire.

I don't think its them playing it safe, its just them being stupid and trying to sound more scientific.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

I feel fairly certain you can say "fart" on TV but they insisted on saying "flatus", which annoyed me immensely. Just say fart, you jackasses. This isn't going in a peer-reviewed journal, its OK to be the tiniest bit crude considering you're getting in a chair and showing the world your jeans-covered rear end in a top hat while trying to light a fart on fire.

I don't think its them playing it safe, its just them being stupid and trying to sound more scientific.

Didn't Nickelodeon say fart in the Salute Your Shorts theme? Or did Ug Lee cut him off before he said it? The commercial for Despicable Me cuts off before the character can say fart.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't Nickelodeon say fart in the Salute Your Shorts theme? Or did Ug Lee cut him off before he said it? The commercial for Despicable Me cuts off before the character can say fart.
Nah, he said fart in the theme, and Ug Lee scolded him afterwards.

I dunno, I get the impression that the Mythbusters, or at least thier producers, want to avoid the "hur hur he said ____" words.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Crotch Bat posted:

It was just Adam being Adam. Be glad he didn't use his obnoxious voice that he thinks is a perfect impression of anything he says it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Does anyone know where Murray is, the relief captain of the Cornelia Marie in previous seasons? He seemed like a really good guy and almost a father figure for the boat when Phil was gone.

• Locked thread