Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think we've scored another patent appeal. Number 4 for me. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Oh my god, everyone I asked agreed to write letters for me for my articling applications. Maybe everything will be alright in the end :unsmith:

Also on a whim I signed up for a volunteer project during the school year where I'll have to represent someone in an appeal hearing regarding the fallout from med-mal cases and whether the physician should keep his license or not. That's about all the detail I have for now - have any of y'all done anything similar? How is it?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Nothing is better than your future employer advising you to stay put at your current job because he can't come near your current salary.

Go to law school, get 150k in debt and a chance to negotiate your salary decrease!

Durry
Oct 1, 2008

Mookie posted:

"What percentage of the hooker's fee does the firm let you expense?" is always a pertinent one.

So I'm probably dropping out of law school. (Grades are trickling in, I'll be lucky to finish in the top third.) But before I do I want to troll OCI as hard as I can, without being too obvious. I have nothing to lose, I'll only be interviewing with local firms and don't plan to stay in St Louis much longer.

Any suggestions?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Oh my god, everyone I asked agreed to write letters for me for my articling applications. Maybe everything will be alright in the end :unsmith:

Make sure they actually write them for you, unlike the reference of mine who dropped out of contact for a month and a half just when letters were coming due. :smith:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Durry posted:

So I'm probably dropping out of law school. (Grades are trickling in, I'll be lucky to finish in the top third.) But before I do I want to troll OCI as hard as I can, without being too obvious. I have nothing to lose, I'll only be interviewing with local firms and don't plan to stay in St Louis much longer.

Any suggestions?

* Ask what their policy on cocaine is
* Bring a hip flask and use it liberally
* Ask what they're doing about the "juice" problem
* Wear a full suit + tie but with a standard form Che Guevara shirt in lieu of a dress shirt
* Have a friend beat the poo poo out of your face. When they ask what happened, get defensive about it (if you're a girl this would be even better). If you punch a wall a bit to get some bloody knuckles you could make some Fight Club-like thing out of it.
* Get a BlackBerry, have a friend keep calling/texting you (this would be meta as gently caress)
* Intentionally call firm A "firm B", B "C", etc.
* Pretend you're deaf and they somehow didn't get the message about your disability. Learn some basic sign language first.

Anyway that's some really basic stuff. Are you sure you want to pay an extra semester's tuition just to troll people?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Durry posted:

Any suggestions?

Every interviewer has a little water bottle. Go buy a 1.5 liter bottle, bring it in with you, slam it down on the table and then kick back in your chair. Act like you're doing them a favor.

Durry
Oct 1, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Every interviewer has a little water bottle. Go buy a 1.5 liter bottle, bring it in with you, slam it down on the table and then kick back in your chair. Act like you're doing them a favor.

I don't think I'll slam it down, but this has promise.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

* Have a friend beat the poo poo out of your face. When they ask what happened, get defensive about it (if you're a girl this would be even better). If you punch a wall a bit to get some bloody knuckles you could make some Fight Club-like thing out of it.
* Pretend you're deaf and they somehow didn't get the message about your disability. Learn some basic sign language first.

Anyway that's some really basic stuff. Are you sure you want to pay an extra semester's tuition just to troll people?

The Fight Club idea is outrageous and is even plausibly deniable. This might happen. I love the deaf one, but I'd definitely get called on it (even aside from them calling school admin, I'm not that good an actor).

I think I can take part in the early rounds of OCI without paying tuition. I will ask admin what sort of paperwork is required and how late I can drop out; I'm still enjoying law school, I just don't think I'm cut out for the practice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

They probably won't ask at all, but if they do, just be casually honest about it but mention as few details as possible. Like "Hmm? Oh, I got in a fight."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
You could of course ask the worst question ever.

"What is your favourite anime."

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Azumanga Daioh

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Just constantly bring up the Classics, and lead every conversation into an Aristotelean discussion about how horse-riding is superior to bridal-making, or perhaps the heirarchy of noble virtues. I can verify that it works great and open lots of doors in the private field (for you to walk the gently caress out of).

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.
I have a question for all of you law goons. I applied to 3 law schools in the spring and I am currently on the waiting list at all three of them. Waiting is very hard for me; I feel like I should be doing something to improve my chances. I have contacted the schools' admissions departments just to let them know that I am still very interested, but I don't know what more I can do.

I had an exchange with an admissions persons from one school that seemed very promising, but that was a few weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them since then. He asked me what my status was with the other schools to which I had applied, and when I told him that I was waitlisted at all of them, he was very surprised. He said that he had assumed that I would have received an offer from the top school on my list, already.

My LSAT score was 164; not amazing, I know, but it is well above the average for all the schools to which I applied.

What I don't understand is why this admissions person seemed so surprised that I was waitlisted by a better school than theirs, yet they haven't made me an offer of admission yet themselves.

I'm just looking for any general advice about what to do right now. I want to contact someone in admissions again because it makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere, but I'm not sure what I should write, or if I even should, at all.

Any tips? Thank you.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

I Am Not Clever posted:

I have a question for all of you law goons. I applied to 3 law schools in the spring and I am currently on the waiting list at all three of them. Waiting is very hard for me; I feel like I should be doing something to improve my chances. I have contacted the schools' admissions departments just to let them know that I am still very interested, but I don't know what more I can do.

I had an exchange with an admissions persons from one school that seemed very promising, but that was a few weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them since then. He asked me what my status was with the other schools to which I had applied, and when I told him that I was waitlisted at all of them, he was very surprised. He said that he had assumed that I would have received an offer from the top school on my list, already.

My LSAT score was 164; not amazing, I know, but it is well above the average for all the schools to which I applied.

What I don't understand is why this admissions person seemed so surprised that I was waitlisted by a better school than theirs, yet they haven't made me an offer of admission yet themselves.

I'm just looking for any general advice about what to do right now. I want to contact someone in admissions again because it makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere, but I'm not sure what I should write, or if I even should, at all.

Any tips? Thank you.

what a maroon. should have contacted every school to tell them that you had been admitted everywhere else with a tidy aid package, but you were holding out because they were your top choice...

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

BigHead posted:

I'm sitting here taking BarBri notes on some random Tort poo poo at 11pm, and it suddenly dawned on me that if I had one singular Convisor book during 1L, I would have easily gotten straight As without even thinking about anything. Maybe it was the fact that I was in a horrendous accident 1L year and spent several weeks in the hospital and thus didn't learn poo poo, but this loving book and these loving lectures make literally everything make so much sense. All those loving cases, all those loving nit picky rules just... make sense. drat. You future 1Ls should get ahold of some barbri books. gently caress Chemerinsky and other outlines, this poo poo be easy.

But aren't most law school exams pretty different from the bar? The MBE, at least, only tests over black letter law and exceptions because a multiple choice test needs to be kind of certain. Most of my professors loved the nuance and rewarded you for finding and developing ambiguities. I'm not sure that the Barbri course would prepare you for that in the same way since it's so focused on just drilling the key information into your head in a short time.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Durry posted:

So I'm probably dropping out of law school.

I'll go get drunk with you before your interviews.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

I Am Not Clever posted:

Don't go to any of them and do something else. The end. Seriouspost.

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.

Adar posted:

Don't go to any of them and do something else. The end. Seriouspost.

Would you like to elaborate?

And I do want to go to one of them. Does anybody have any advice on whether or not I should attempt to contact them again, and if so, what I ought to say?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
sigh, I'll bite: what are the schools

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I Am Not Clever posted:

Would you like to elaborate?

Any school for which a 164 is "well above average" is not worth going to.

(supra pp. 1-47.)

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.

Dallan Invictus posted:

(supra pp. 1-47.)

Forgive me, because I'm sure that you know more about this than I do, but wouldn't that depend on my goals?

The schools are the 3 law schools in the state of Oregon: Lewis & Clark, University of Oregon, and Willamette.

I don't really want to defend my choice of schools, so can we just assume for a second that I would want to get into one of these schools? What is the proper strategy when you are waitlisted at multiple schools?

I want to contact them again, but should I?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do you goals involve getting a job somewhere that isn't your dad's law firm? If not don't go to law school.

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.
All right, thanks for the help, everybody.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

I Am Not Clever posted:

quit crying, you basically came to the thread saying "okay guys I want to hit myself in the dick with a hammer but home depot is all out of hammers, where else should I check?" then people said "no for gently caress's sake don't hit yourself in the dick with a hammer it will hurt" and you said "look that isn't helpful, just assume that I want to hit myself in the dick with a hammer. should I go to lowe's or ace hardware or what"

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
As a summer associate, I spend the first half every day un-loving-up whatever I did the day before, and the second half of the day loving up something new

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nero posted:

As a summer associate, I spend the first half every day un-loving-up whatever I did the day before, and the second half of the day loving up something new

As a bitch clerk, I get yelled at because the last secretary didn't tell me some things when she quit. Like A) She didn't file the summary judgment in a case in our files; B) That the copy on my desk that got purged 2 days ago wasn't the work copy; and C) That it was an amended copy, not an original so my titling on the final document was wrong when we filed it, so opposing counsel got to be snarky in their reply to our response about the document titling. I got the reply and skimmed it then told our boss we didn't need to file a sur-reply (he agreed), and despite him reading it too, got angry when he found out at the hearing that the titling on the document was wrong. Oh, and not to mention that the 5 other plaintiffs' firms that read and copied all my research didn't catch it either.

Christ I hope I don't get fired because of this poo poo. $15/hour is not worth this kind of bullshit.

That's one boring-rear end wall of text but gently caress it, hopefully I can discourage people from law school.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 17, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Dallan Invictus posted:

(supra pp. 1-47.)

Way to ruin my dreams

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
I got a 164 of the LSAT and attended a T1 school for free and got a job deal with it

edit: lois and clark sounds like the best law school; you need to call them up again and constantly make tired old references to superman until they admit you at sticker price.

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 17, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Nero posted:

I'm pretty sure the attorney that I was "analyzing a complex litigation opinion in terms of contract rights for our client organization" thinks I'm an autistic child.

On the other hand, I read a contract today, albeit in rough form, that was written by one of actual attorneys and I think that they should probably not write contracts for us anymore.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I Am Not Clever posted:

Forgive me, because I'm sure that you know more about this than I do, but wouldn't that depend on my goals?

The schools are the 3 law schools in the state of Oregon: Lewis & Clark, University of Oregon, and Willamette.

I don't really want to defend my choice of schools, so can we just assume for a second that I would want to get into one of these schools? What is the proper strategy when you are waitlisted at multiple schools?

I want to contact them again, but should I?

Tell Lewis & Clark you are hispanic and they will hound you until you tell them to go away.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Incredulous Red posted:

Tell Lewis & Clark you are hispanic and they will hound you until you tell them to go away.

This is unequivocally true. I still get "apply here!" emails from them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

scribe jones posted:

quit crying, you basically came to the thread saying "okay guys I want to hit myself in the dick with a hammer but home depot is all out of hammers, where else should I check?" then people said "no for gently caress's sake don't hit yourself in the dick with a hammer it will hurt" and you said "look that isn't helpful, just assume that I want to hit myself in the dick with a hammer. should I go to lowe's or ace hardware or what"
This needs to go in the OP.

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

I Am Not Clever posted:

They're being honest.

I was in your position a few years ago, didn't read the old version of this thread, and settled for a non-T1. I have debt I can't possibly pay and, despite law review and being in the top 5%, am scouring classifieds for the same data entry job that I had when I applied to law school. I wish I could go back in time, study for the LSAT to get a better score, and work until I could get into a real school, but it's too late now. You are in a better position than you know.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gvibes posted:

I think we've scored another patent appeal. Number 4 for me. :smug:

Scored as in?

Also, I keep meaning to set up a side business doing qui tam false marking cases because that's gotta be the easiest money in the world until they put the clamp down on that.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 17, 2010

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

CaptainScraps posted:

As a bitch clerk, I get yelled at because the last secretary didn't tell me some things when she quit. Like A) She didn't file the summary judgment in a case in our files; B) That the copy on my desk that got purged 2 days ago wasn't the work copy; and C) That it was an amended copy, not an original so my titling on the final document was wrong when we filed it, so opposing counsel got to be snarky in their reply to our response about the document titling. I got the reply and skimmed it then told our boss we didn't need to file a sur-reply (he agreed), and despite him reading it too, got angry when he found out at the hearing that the titling on the document was wrong. Oh, and not to mention that the 5 other plaintiffs' firms that read and copied all my research didn't catch it either.

Christ I hope I don't get fired because of this poo poo. $15/hour is not worth this kind of bullshit.

That's one boring-rear end wall of text but gently caress it, hopefully I can discourage people from law school.

You have a job.

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.

deathdrive83 posted:

They're being honest.

I was in your position a few years ago, didn't read the old version of this thread, and settled for a non-T1. I have debt I can't possibly pay and, despite law review and being in the top 5%, am scouring classifieds for the same data entry job that I had when I applied to law school. I wish I could go back in time, study for the LSAT to get a better score, and work until I could get into a real school, but it's too late now. You are in a better position than you know.

Thanks for the advice.

Is the outlook really that grim? I was under the impression that schools like Lewis & Clark and University of Oregon are well-regarded within their region, the pacific northwest, though they may not get me far in New York City or Washington, DC, for example.

Lewis & Clark claims that of the 216 graduates of the class of 2008 who sought employment, 92% report full-time employment, with 44% in private practice, 20% in business & industry, 17% in government, and so on.

Are they somehow misrepresenting the truth? Because the prospects don't sound nearly so grim as what I'm being told here. If I plan to stay in the pacific northwest, is going to Lewis & Clark really worse than not going to law school at all?

If it's really that bad, I guess I'd better know now.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Scored as in?

Also, I keep meaning to set up a side business doing qui tam false marking cases because that's gotta be the easiest money in the world until they put the clamp down on that.

easier than prop 65 bounty hunting in california? that's where the big money is, none of this piddly $250-a-pop nonsense.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I Am Not Clever posted:

Is the outlook really that grim?

YES you goddamn retard. It's loving WORSE than he's saying. U of Oregon is a loving joke school. I would say you will get laughed out of any job you apply for, but employers won't even loving spend enough time on your application to laugh. They'll just throw it in the loving trashcan without a second thought. "Well regarded in their region" doesn't make one iota of a loving difference when Harvard grads are willing to murder for any job your dumb rear end is applying for.

Also, if you're just Ainsley's other account trolling us again, then kudos to you. But if you're a serious poster and this is a serious post, then you need to not loving go to law school. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: if you don't know enough to know that USNWR stats are the epitome of "made up used-car-salesmen poo poo" then you REALLY don't know enough to know what you're getting into.

Edit2: Just don't go. Just don't. When we say there are no jobs, we don't mean "only those who work hard get a job" we mean "there are literally 2 jobs per 250 person graduating class."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 17, 2010

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Out of curiousity, is the outlook for the legal profession in America much worse than for other sectors? I had the impression that everything was pretty crap.

Also, just about to go out and start up a new firm with an old friend from law school. Specialising in personal injury and industrial relations law (which I think is termed labour law in the US). Very much looking forward to that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I Am Not Clever posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Is the outlook really that grim? I was under the impression that schools like Lewis & Clark and University of Oregon are well-regarded within their region, the pacific northwest, though they may not get me far in New York City or Washington, DC, for example.

Lewis & Clark claims that of the 216 graduates of the class of 2008 who sought employment, 92% report full-time employment, with 44% in private practice, 20% in business & industry, 17% in government, and so on.

Are they somehow misrepresenting the truth? Because the prospects don't sound nearly so grim as what I'm being told here. If I plan to stay in the pacific northwest, is going to Lewis & Clark really worse than not going to law school at all?

If it's really that bad, I guess I'd better know now.

I went to a T2 school where my 163 LSAT was an above average score

entering month 13 of unemployment, saw a "now hiring" sign at dunkin' donuts, gonna go for it