Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Linedance posted:

want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Commodore 64 posted:

^^^^^^^
Nice Fusions; how are they? I've heard good things about Sidi and they look like good all around boots, but nobody by me has any.

Also I'm looking at either an Icon Merc or a Teknic Rage. The Icon is cheaper, but the Teknic is supposed to be waterproof.

Any thoughts?

So far I think they're great, but I've only worn them around the house. I'll give an update after my trip. I will say that they fit very loosely around my calf because I wear synthetic overpants. I think they'd be better with leathers. The closure is zipper and velcro, and a buckle would have been nice but Sidi doesn't put those on until you get into the higher priced boots. The soles are almost totally flat too, so hopefully I won't do too much sliding around on wet grass at campsites. But other than those things they seem very solid, have protection everywhere I could ask, and are very comfortable for sitting on the couch.

Don't know anything about jackets though, sorry.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Commodore 64 posted:

Also I'm looking at either an Icon Merc or a Teknic Rage. The Icon is cheaper, but the Teknic is supposed to be waterproof.

Icon and Teknic have very different fits usually. Icon tends to a looser cut for huskier people I think, while Teknic often has a "European" slim-fitting cut. It depends on your body shape what will work best for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Rontalvos posted:

I don't know because I've only used an Aqua Sport TX textile and then the Scorpion Stinger, sorry! V:shobon:V

Hmmm, well does it breath comparable to your textile? I suppose all textiles have to be pretty similar(sure, why not).

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Figured you guys would like to see my ridiculous leathers I recently bought. Pre-rashed butt, but the right knee slider is all me. Also, I took these at work because I'm baller and wear leathers on my commute. :madmax:

Now onto my question. I need a back protector for this, as you can see. Since these fit me perfectly (ie are tight but loose enough to allow movement, etc.), how the hell do I fit a back protector under my suit? Do I just wear one over the back?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it's not cut to have enough space for a back protector, then you're just sort of SOL. You could try and find a particularly narrow one, as the leathers will stretch as you wear them.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

PadreScout posted:

Hmmm, well does it breath comparable to your textile? I suppose all textiles have to be pretty similar(sure, why not).

Night and day. The perforated leather doesn't hold in the 95 degree heat we have here above like, 20mph. The textile is more meant for cold weather, I think, as it hardly has any venting and I turn into a big sweaty mess when I wear it. Even at speed.

Perforated leather in hot climates for sure.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I have a textile with arm and back vents and it ends up being more comfortable than my leather in really hot leather. But I sweat more in my leather (which has much larger vents all down the arms and sides) and get more airflow so I feel cooler when I'm moving. But I sweat a ton.

So if you want to feel cooler, but sweat more, get the leather.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I have a textile with arm and back vents and it ends up being more comfortable than my leather in really hot leather. But I sweat more in my leather (which has much larger vents all down the arms and sides) and get more airflow so I feel cooler when I'm moving. But I sweat a ton.

So if you want to feel cooler, but sweat more, get the leather.

To be honest, I'm really pleased with my current jacket. It's drat comfortable even in 100+ weather, I just wonder about how the perforated leather compares.

Probably will upgrade to leather at some point, what with it being so much more abrasion resistant.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Right now I've got a Olympia Phantom textile one piece suit which is pretty comfortable up to 85-90 degrees unless I'm sitting in traffic or at a lot of lights.

My alternative is a perforated Dainese leguna seca one piece leather suit which feels like it flows more air and isn't as miserable sitting in traffic.

Looks like this summer is going to be pretty drat hot though so I may end up looking at some mesh gear. Would prefer to find textile or leather with more air flow though, pry go with a two piece even.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

What else has a similar cut to FirstGear jackets and pants? This stuff could not possibly fit my body more perfectly.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
So I bought a new helmet... don't really need it 'cause I already have three. I can't even ride right now because I'm still in the process of fixing my bike. But it's loving awesome. I paid ~$370 on ebay and should be getting ~$30 Bing Cash Back and it came with an extra smoke visor. It's the Akuma Phantom II MFR.

Carbon fiber, photochromic visor. I gotta say I love it but it's not without faults. It's certainly light weight, lighter than my other helmets but to be honest I can't tell the difference when it's on my head. That's most likely because I've made sure my other helmets are pretty light before buying them. They're probably only a few hundred grams more. I have a feeling the visor won't get as dark as I like as I've only tried it out on an overcast day. The build quality could be better, things are not perfectly aligned but you won't notice that when wearing it.

It fits a little tighter than helmets of the same sizing, but that's ok because I'm a small medium so it's perfect for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm currently shopping for a set of leathers and I was wondering if anyone had any fit advice for a short stocky guy. I don't understand euro sizing at all. I wear a size 34 in pants but when I tried on a set of Alpinestars leather pants in Italian/Euro size 52 the waist was fine but the thigh were comically tight and I could not even attempt to zip down the calf zippers.

My waist size is a true 35 inches (though my pants size is 34) and my chest is 46 inches measured (though I tend to wear size 44-45 suit jackets) so I have a 10-11 inch drop. The real problem is the shortness and thickness of my legs. My inseam is 30 inches but my calves are 19 inches around and thighs are 26 inches around. (5'8" and 210 lbs). Are there any leathers that could conceivably fit me off the shelf or am I doomed to pay to get custom leathers made by Vanson or Dainese Fitnet. Does anyone make leathers in short sizes? I know both Aerostitch, Joe Rocket and others make off the shelf textile suits in short sizes. I have a textile Joe Rocket Survivor Suit in XL-Short on order (42-44 chest, 34-36 waist and 30.5 inch inseam) Please let it fit! But I can't find off the shelf leathers that would fit my chest and waist and especially my legs in short inseam sizes. Does anyone know of any?

I haven't needed racing leathers until now because I only street ride and thus can find more stuff to fit when I trade off for less protection but now I want to start doing track days so I need leathers.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 17, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Tilt Customs, customized leather suits for $450-$550 depending on options

http://www.tiltcustoms.com/Home.html

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

So I bought a new helmet... don't really need it 'cause I already have three. I can't even ride right now because I'm still in the process of fixing my bike. But it's loving awesome. I paid ~$370 on ebay and should be getting ~$30 Bing Cash Back and it came with an extra smoke visor. It's the Akuma Phantom II MFR.

Carbon fiber, photochromic visor. I gotta say I love it but it's not without faults. It's certainly light weight, lighter than my other helmets but to be honest I can't tell the difference when it's on my head. That's most likely because I've made sure my other helmets are pretty light before buying them. They're probably only a few hundred grams more. I have a feeling the visor won't get as dark as I like as I've only tried it out on an overcast day. The build quality could be better, things are not perfectly aligned but you won't notice that when wearing it.

It fits a little tighter than helmets of the same sizing, but that's ok because I'm a small medium so it's perfect for me.

Hey akuma phantom buddy :):hf::)

This is my second helmet. The photochromic visor is what sold me on it and the aerodynamics is what made me love it. 80 mph feels like 50 mph compared to the old helmet.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

NitroSpazzz posted:

Right now I've got a Olympia Phantom textile one piece suit

Go Phantom army! My high-viz took me across Canada, to Prudhoe bay and then to Portland. I will say that 85 was survivable as long as you're always moving, but it wasn't pleasant and I smelled like week-old Long John Silvers at the end of the day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does the Phantom have any vents in the legs? My biggest problem with the AST + Ranger II combo is the pants are way too hot. I'll be wearing the liner in the jacket over two or three layers on my upper body and just the pants over jeans are fine. If the zippers unzipped from the top or there was a removable panel or something, I'd be much happier wearing them when the weather is warm.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Last summer it was FREAKIN' hot. I walked into the gear clearance warehouse and saw this axosport summer suit and fell in love. It suits my bike. Sure, it looks like I'm about to go and pick up dudes at some NiN goth fag rave or something, but in the 40+ degree heat around here, it's a friggin lifesaver, plus the badass spine and chest protection should definately hold up in an accident. "apparently" it covers all the major impact zones in a crash: chest, elbows, shoulders, spine, kidneys. the wrists not so much, that's for the gloves i guess but according to the gloves i have my wrists are going to be cactus

plus this SHIFT perforated jacket, came with two inside layers that zip out, one for waterproofing the other for extra warmth, i hardly use those though, they're a pain in the rear end to put back in, i just wear a jumper or something underneath.

Dainese gloves, A* Boots and KBC helmet with extra dark tinted visor. I also have some kevlar weave draggin black cargo pants that are really comfortable and would pass for every day wear.

that's why i reckon the helmet below would look sick with the summer gear... total terminator haha

Three guesses what colour my bike is...

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 17, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Uthor posted:

Does the Phantom have any vents in the legs?

Nope. The ball-sweat at the end of a hot day is . . . significant.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
This isn't technically a gear question but I didn't feel like making my own thread. What's the best H4 bulb out there? Preferably not too expensive. I'll need a new bulb for my bike once it's back together and probably a few for my car.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Uthor posted:

Does the Phantom have any vents in the legs? My biggest problem with the AST + Ranger II combo is the pants are way too hot. I'll be wearing the liner in the jacket over two or three layers on my upper body and just the pants over jeans are fine. If the zippers unzipped from the top or there was a removable panel or something, I'd be much happier wearing them when the weather is warm.

Check out the Olympia xmoto pants. They don't have a thermal liner, but they do have a rain liner. They have zippered vent panels like the GT Air jacket. I've worn the GT Air jacket every season in MN, and been perfectly comfortable. I picked up the xmoto pants last week for my trip to Colorado next week, so I'll post a gear review if anybody wants.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PitViper posted:

Check out the Olympia xmoto pants.

I was going to get some Air Glide pants from them for summer/commuting, but my bike's all buggered right now, so I'm in no hurry.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

This isn't technically a gear question but I didn't feel like making my own thread. What's the best H4 bulb out there? Preferably not too expensive. I'll need a new bulb for my bike once it's back together and probably a few for my car.
Technically, it might get a quicker response in the "Less Chatting, More Questions" thread. :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

xkem posted:

Last summer it was FREAKIN' hot. I walked into the gear clearance warehouse and saw this axosport summer suit and fell in love. It suits my bike. Sure, it looks like I'm about to go and pick up dudes at some NiN goth fag rave or something, but in the 40+ degree heat around here, it's a friggin lifesaver, plus the badass spine and chest protection should definately hold up in an accident. "apparently" it covers all the major impact zones in a crash: chest, elbows, shoulders, spine, kidneys. the wrists not so much, that's for the gloves i guess but according to the gloves i have my wrists are going to be cactus

plus this SHIFT perforated jacket, came with two inside layers that zip out, one for waterproofing the other for extra warmth, i hardly use those though, they're a pain in the rear end to put back in, i just wear a jumper or something underneath.

Dainese gloves, A* Boots and KBC helmet with extra dark tinted visor. I also have some kevlar weave draggin black cargo pants that are really comfortable and would pass for every day wear.

that's why i reckon the helmet below would look sick with the summer gear... total terminator haha

Three guesses what colour my bike is...

Nice setup...love that gladius, too.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looks like this summer is going to be pretty drat hot though so I may end up looking at some mesh gear. Would prefer to find textile or leather with more air flow though, pry go with a two piece even.

As the owner of a mesh jacket let me go ahead and assure you that even mesh is hot as balls when you aren't moving. There's just no getting around sweating your rear end off while wearing gear when it's 95°F and you're stopped.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

I like Sylvania Ultrastars, but they aren't exactly cheap (~50 for two bulbs for my ST). Silverstars are a bit cheaper and have worked well in my GS.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Raven457 posted:

I like Sylvania Ultrastars, but they aren't exactly cheap (~50 for two bulbs for my ST). Silverstars are a bit cheaper and have worked well in my GS.

Ran silverstars in my gs500, they seemed well enough. Currently running Piaa Ultra Whites on my SV and it's like having a sun on the front of my bike, so good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.motostrano.com/closeouts.html

200$ on a bunch of A* jackets right now. Good deals if you're looking for a nice jacket for fairly cheap.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

http://www.motostrano.com/closeouts.html

200$ on a bunch of A* jackets right now. Good deals if you're looking for a nice jacket for fairly cheap.

I can vouch for their Stage jacket. It's fantastic: great venting, solid-feeling protection, good, thick leather. I use it for temps all the way up to 85ish, and if you're on the highway, it's bearable up to the mid 90s.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Received my new A*s boots yesterday. Haven't got to wear them on the boot just walked around the house last night. They are not meant for walking. I went with the SMX5 Vented, Im sure the Plusses are great but I just couldn't justify the extra $150. These things feel like I am wearing what a tank would wear for shoes

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just got my Joe Rocket Survivor Suit, a textile one piece suit in XL Short. It fits very well so I am impressed so far: CE armor, lots of convenient pockets/pouches, surprisingly easy to move around in, zip in insulation layer. Not sure if I'm sold on the big air ventilation system but I'm going to use it riding this weekend and report back.

Also thanks for the link on the A* closeouts Z3n Good prices on some nice looking jackets.

Here is a video that the motorcycle superstore made about the suit:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Video.aspx?I=24332-Survivor-Suit&V=10_JoeRocket_Survivor_Suit.flv

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 18, 2010

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Regarding extra bright lightbulbs, are they not a bit risky to use on motorbikes due to the filaments being thinner and therefore less resistant to vibration?

I'm not too happy with the lightbulb on my bike and looked into brighter bulbs some time back, and I noticed that the Philips bulb in my bike is a heavy duty part (due to it being on a bike). How much riskier would brighter bulbs be? Losing the headlight at night is potentially terrifying, depending on what kind of riding you're doing at the time..

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I've been trying on helmets at a couple of local shops, and I've found 2 full face helmets and 2 off-road helmets that would probably do.

I'm in the desert. It's about to be the hottest part of summer. The off-road helmets seem a bit airier, even compared to the full face with the visor up. I wear glasses, and I have hit fast-moving dragonflies and bees while riding a bicycle, so I think I can handle bugs. Is there any reason why I should NOT get a dirt-bike helmet instead of a regular full-face helmet?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I picked up a PIAA XTREME White H7 bulb a week or 2 ago after my low beam went out. It's goddamn bright as hell. MSRP is expensive and I have no how clue how long it will last, but it's pretty nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

I've been trying on helmets at a couple of local shops, and I've found 2 full face helmets and 2 off-road helmets that would probably do.

I'm in the desert. It's about to be the hottest part of summer. The off-road helmets seem a bit airier, even compared to the full face with the visor up. I wear glasses, and I have hit fast-moving dragonflies and bees while riding a bicycle, so I think I can handle bugs. Is there any reason why I should NOT get a dirt-bike helmet instead of a regular full-face helmet?

How fast are you going to be going? Dirt bike helmets get pretty uncomfortable at high speeds, the wind wants to lift the visor and your neck gets sore really fast. Also, doing 65 is way different from doing 30 when it comes to getting a bug in the face.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Regarding extra bright lightbulbs, are they not a bit risky to use on motorbikes due to the filaments being thinner and therefore less resistant to vibration?

I'm not too happy with the lightbulb on my bike and looked into brighter bulbs some time back, and I noticed that the Philips bulb in my bike is a heavy duty part (due to it being on a bike). How much riskier would brighter bulbs be? Losing the headlight at night is potentially terrifying, depending on what kind of riding you're doing at the time..

I've had the lowbeam go out on my bike at night. I just flipped on the highbeam and rode to the nearest auto store and replaced the light in the parking lot :) It wasn't a big deal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I've got a C70 Passport, so no faster than about 50.

I've also got a pretty substantial neck, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. Hmm. If it doesn't work out long-term, it'll just be a spare.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

I've had the lowbeam go out on my bike at night. I just flipped on the highbeam and rode to the nearest auto store and replaced the light in the parking lot :) It wasn't a big deal.

Yeah but were you crusing around in town on streetlit roads, perhaps with other cars around, or going for a night time ride through a more remote area on a moonless night? :P Just saying that I can imagine situations where your first reaction would be OH gently caress poo poo PANIC I'M GON DIE! rather than cooly flipping on the high beams. :)

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah but were you crusing around in town on streetlit roads, perhaps with other cars around, or going for a night time ride through a more remote area on a moonless night? :P Just saying that I can imagine situations where your first reaction would be OH gently caress poo poo PANIC I'M GON DIE! rather than cooly flipping on the high beams. :)

Yeah, but like with anything else those sorts of situations can be mostly avoided by planning ahead (eg don't go carving up unfamiliar and unlit twisties in the middle of the night).

Edit: and actually, you'd probably have your highbeams on in most of those situations anyway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

VideoTapir posted:

I've got a C70 Passport, so no faster than about 50.

I've also got a pretty substantial neck, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. Hmm. If it doesn't work out long-term, it'll just be a spare.

At these speeds you should be ok. I did some interstate with my dirt helmet and it sucks but under 50 isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

sectoidman posted:

Yeah, but like with anything else those sorts of situations can be mostly avoided by planning ahead (eg don't go carving up unfamiliar and unlit twisties in the middle of the night).

Edit: and actually, you'd probably have your highbeams on in most of those situations anyway.

Fair call. :)