Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib
OK...I seriously doubt anyone will know this one but I guess I'll give it shot anyway.

About a year or so ago I was watching MTV Jams and a hip hop song came on that I really liked. I wrote it down but I have since lost the paper and it has been bugging me ever since. Here is what I can remember:

- The song was released in the mid to late 90s
- The song had 2 guys rapping in it, I'm almost 100% sure it was by a rap duo
- These guys were not mainstream at all, I consider myself of above-average hip hop knowledge and I had never heard of them
- The video took place in some sort of car junkyard

This is really flimsy I know...anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

JacobKDaggle posted:

OK...I seriously doubt anyone will know this one but I guess I'll give it shot anyway.

About a year or so ago I was watching MTV Jams and a hip hop song came on that I really liked. I wrote it down but I have since lost the paper and it has been bugging me ever since. Here is what I can remember:

- The song was released in the mid to late 90s
- The song had 2 guys rapping in it, I'm almost 100% sure it was by a rap duo
- These guys were not mainstream at all, I consider myself of above-average hip hop knowledge and I had never heard of them
- The video took place in some sort of car junkyard

This is really flimsy I know...anyone?

My husband really thinks it might be Bone Thugs n Harmony - Thuggish Ruggish Bone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzSjtuMGOQ&feature=channel
They go into a junkyard at 2:10 and it keeps cutting back to the junkyard. I guess since it was their first album that you might not have known who they were back then? It's the only memorable video he can think of in a junkyard, and he says he used to watch rap videos all day long back in the 90s.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

What is the source of the horn sample at the beginning of Los Marijuanos - It's Time To Get High? I heard that same sample and subsequent break on the opening track of Praxis's Warszawa record as well (at 0:15) and I'm curious as to where it came from. the-breaks.com came up with nothing.

yung radish
Feb 24, 2009

oh no

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Alright, this song is used in the beginning of the video game Blur, its a piece of an opera over a techno beat. I would swear that its from the same opera that was used in the movie Fifth Element, but I'm not positive. I could also swear the track in Blur was just a loop from a rap track, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it is!!! Any help?

The opening song is a remix of Ennio Morricone's L'estasi dell'oro.

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

chachu posted:

My husband really thinks it might be Bone Thugs n Harmony - Thuggish Ruggish Bone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzSjtuMGOQ&feature=channel
They go into a junkyard at 2:10 and it keeps cutting back to the junkyard. I guess since it was their first album that you might not have known who they were back then? It's the only memorable video he can think of in a junkyard, and he says he used to watch rap videos all day long back in the 90s.

Nope...that's not the one. The group I'm thinking of was definitely less famous than BTnH, although they had a similar style. Thanks though :(

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

JacobKDaggle posted:

Nope...that's not the one. The group I'm thinking of was definitely less famous than BTnH, although they had a similar style. Thanks though :(

drat! Can you describe it any more? He's pretty confident in his rap knowledge and is dying to figure out what song it was, haha. You really don't know anything more about it, no lyrics? Any groups it sounded similar to? Was it more gangster? East coast/west coast? Slow? Or fast like BTNH?

chachu fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 15, 2010

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Ok, my description sucks but maybe someone will understand. I don't even really remember the lyrics.

This song has some sort of electric organ in the background. One of the sections goes duun duun dunnnn dun dun dun duunn dun duuuuunnnnn...

No idea what the guy is singing about. At least there aren't too many songs with organ sounding things in them. I've heard it on the alternative rock station a few times.

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
"Echoes" by Pink Floyd?

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Oh No Pigeons! posted:

The opening song is a remix of Ennio Morricone's L'estasi dell'oro.

Oh man, thank you so much. I knew I recognized it from somewhere, but couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Thanks again!

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Spartan421 posted:

Ok, my description sucks but maybe someone will understand. I don't even really remember the lyrics.

This song has some sort of electric organ in the background. One of the sections goes duun duun dunnnn dun dun dun duunn dun duuuuunnnnn...

No idea what the guy is singing about. At least there aren't too many songs with organ sounding things in them. I've heard it on the alternative rock station a few times.

There are a LOT of songs with organs, like the entire genre of progressive rock pretty much, and a not insignificant amount of funk, classic rhythm & blues, jazz, psychedelic rock, metal, and baroque pop... Can you record yourself singing or playing the melody? What did the singer's voice sound like (man or woman, high or low pitched, screamy, whiney, gravelly?)? Does it have a certain 'era' to it like if you were to guess would you say it's from the 60s or 70s (in which case you're fighting an uphill battle) or 80s or now?

For the record, the first thing i thought of was A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 16, 2010

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

chachu posted:

drat! Can you describe it any more? He's pretty confident in his rap knowledge and is dying to figure out what song it was, haha. You really don't know anything more about it, no lyrics? Any groups it sounded similar to? Was it more gangster? East coast/west coast? Slow? Or fast like BTNH?

Sorry for the late reply...I thought your husband had given up on it!

OK...thinking about it again these are the facts I am most confident in:

- The group was a duo, the song was released in the mid to late 90s
- The song was pretty hard, not a party type song at all
- Almost certainly an east coast (probably NYC) group
- NOT mainstream at all. Although I remember finding the group in Wikipedia when I looked up the song. They were very similar to groups like Smif n Wessun, Black Moon, Artifacts...
- The video was in a junkyard!!

hammeritme fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 16, 2010

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Can anyone in the uk recognise the music that starts at 21 minutes in in this episode of Rude Britannia? :nws:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ssrsg/Rude_Britannia_Presents_Bawdy_Songs_and_Lewd_Photographs/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

QPZIL posted:

OK, this will solve a mystery that has plagued the music center of my brain for years. I would remember the name of the band that did this song if I saw it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is or what the name of the song is. I can even remember everything else about my life when I heard it, and it was even playing over the PA in between bands at an Explosion in the Sky show I went to a couple years ago, but I didn't think to ask anyone what the song was. It's one of those pretentious indie bands from a few years ago...

It starts out with an octave bass line like this...

And later in the song has this melody with male whispery vocals over it...

SOLVE IT, GUMSHOES!

Reposting this from a couple years back. I still haven't found it :( It's my musical white whale.

I want to say the song is from around 2000 +/- a couple years.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

what's the synthesizer sample at the beginning of quasimoto's don't blink? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcFXzG141o

it's killing me because i feel like i've heard it sometime in the past few weeks

anybody?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Reposting this from a couple years back. I still haven't found it :( It's my musical white whale.

I want to say the song is from around 2000 +/- a couple years.
I doubt this is right but it wasn't by Mew was it?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

anybody?

Daft Punk - Da Funk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z014I7FvDCo

SEMPER FUCKIN FI
Sep 28, 2009
Looking for a song that has lyrics that sound something like "and I ask myself how much do you want" and "It never ends" but I'm sure i have the lyrics wrong. It sounds very 80s/early 90s, with a female singer.

Otep
Mar 22, 2003
SEVAS TRA
I'm looking for a song that has an asian singer I think. The video had that asian person standing in front of the drum while the lyrics were like.. surrenderrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That's the only lyric I can identify.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

SEMPER FUCKIN FI posted:

Looking for a song that has lyrics that sound something like "and I ask myself how much do you want" and "It never ends" but I'm sure i have the lyrics wrong. It sounds very 80s/early 90s, with a female singer.

No Doubt - It's My Life? That's a cover of a hit by Talk Talk, but that one's got a male singer.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

exquisite tea posted:

Are you sure it wasn't George Michael - Careless Whisper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

Sorry to respond so late to this, but YES.

Thank you so much, this has literally been bothering me for years.

EDIT: It's also awesome that in my hazy memory of all the parts of the song that weren't the sax, George Michael was a black guy.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 17, 2010

SEMPER FUCKIN FI
Sep 28, 2009

The Human Cow posted:

No Doubt - It's My Life? That's a cover of a hit by Talk Talk, but that one's got a male singer.
that's it, thanks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is a long shot but worth a try...

I'm looking for a music video from a band that sounds, according to my friend, like something between the mars volta and the deftones. The video itself had a female vocalist with shoulder length black hair, and the entire video was hypersaturated red. He recalls it being sometime between ~2001 and 2005 that it came out. The vocalist had a very sultry, almost sort of nightclub singer type style. Any guesses?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I'm trying to find this old rock song from so many years ago; all I remember is the music video.

It starts with a guy running down some ally or street as if he's being chased, and he runs into this dingy bar. After sitting down to have a drink, he notices that his arm movements control the arms of other people at the bar, and he causes some mischief by forcing a guy to knock his drink off the table, and almost gets a girl to take off her top or something, all while controlling their arms. At the end, another guy begins to control HIS arms instead, and the video ends with the guy mimicking a cutting motion across his throat.

If anyone recalls the song I'd appreciate it, for nostalgia's sake.

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

I'd love to know the song/artist from this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcC5b_eaLjA

Even the uploader isn't sure what or who it is.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Abugadu posted:

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

what's the synthesizer sample at the beginning of quasimoto's don't blink? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcFXzG141o

it's killing me because i feel like i've heard it sometime in the past few weeks
Daft Punk - Da Funk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z014I7FvDCo

this doesn't really sound like it all to me, i'm talking about the actual sample used (i guess the melodies are kind of similar though)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Heard a latin sounding song (sung in English) on the radio. It sounded Ricki Martin but less gay and a little more rocky.

I only remember vague parts of the words, which were something like "let's never forget" or "let's not forget"

It was hard to make out when driving along. Any ideas? Thanks.

Santana feat. Rob Thomas - Smooth.

Haeleus posted:

I'm trying to find this old rock song from so many years ago; all I remember is the music video.

It starts with a guy running down some ally or street as if he's being chased, and he runs into this dingy bar. After sitting down to have a drink, he notices that his arm movements control the arms of other people at the bar, and he causes some mischief by forcing a guy to knock his drink off the table, and almost gets a girl to take off her top or something, all while controlling their arms. At the end, another guy begins to control HIS arms instead, and the video ends with the guy mimicking a cutting motion across his throat.

If anyone recalls the song I'd appreciate it, for nostalgia's sake.

Brand New - Sic Transit Gloria.

It's good to be back :clint:

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

HoldYourFire posted:

Brand New - Sic Transit Gloria.

It's good to be back :clint:

Yes, that's the song. Thank you so much.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!
OK, maybe goon know-how can identify an old song, most likely early 80's or thereabouts. It's a slow rock song along the lines of Seger's "Like a Rock" only with a lot of bass to it. The lyrics talk about remembering things, and I swear one line is "I remember the night Walter Cronkite said, JFK was just shot in the head".

You'd think with a specific line Google would turn up something, but no dice. Help me goons, you're my only hope!

Polluxx Troy
Mar 12, 2005

...authorities here are on alert...
Total long shot, but who is this by? It's most assuredly not Godever by Boards of Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBzA5KlFIQ

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

HoldYourFire posted:

Santana feat. Rob Thomas - Smooth.

drat straight! What a tune, thanks.

MsMiz
May 16, 2010

Anyone have any idea what the first song in this video is, or at least, the artist?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/pokecapn/videos/105/

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Captain Equinox posted:

OK, maybe goon know-how can identify an old song, most likely early 80's or thereabouts. It's a slow rock song along the lines of Seger's "Like a Rock" only with a lot of bass to it. The lyrics talk about remembering things, and I swear one line is "I remember the night Walter Cronkite said, JFK was just shot in the head".

You'd think with a specific line Google would turn up something, but no dice. Help me goons, you're my only hope!

"Life In A Northern Town" by Dream Academy?

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Alas, no. Thanks for giving it a shot, though.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I need the name of a rap (r&b?) song that was in heavy rotation on BET around 2004. It was a group in the street rapping on an old microphone hanging from the sky? THe video may have been in black and white but I'm not sure.

/edit found it, it's Pitch Black - It's All Real

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 24, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Trying to remember a video I saw sometime ago, late 90s or early 00s. It's starts off with a guy (the performer of the song, I think) standing on what I think is a subway platform. At the same time, there is a woman in a tub, and she either tries to kill herself or starts accidentally drowning in the tub. The guy senses this somehow and starts running in slow motion. I don't recall whether or not he makes it to the woman. I don't remember too much about the actual song, aside from it being rock of some type.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Just heard a song last night while waiting for Goldfrapp to go on...kind of a punkish-art rock sound, and it included part of the lyrics to Teddy Bear's Picnic: If you go out in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise" etc. I've tried googling but of course all that comes up is the original song.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
This may not be the place to ask, but I know the song just need help with the lyrics. In the song You Are my Number One by Smash Mouth there is a part where Ranking Roger does a rap bit, I want the lyrics to what he says but on every lyric site I search it just has the lyrics that the lead singer sings.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Schweig und tanze posted:

Just heard a song last night while waiting for Goldfrapp to go on...kind of a punkish-art rock sound, and it included part of the lyrics to Teddy Bear's Picnic: If you go out in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise" etc. I've tried googling but of course all that comes up is the original song.

This might be way off but it does have some of the lyrics (can't find youtube of it):

The Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster - Briefcases For Girls

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Some lovely song on the that I keep hearing but never at the begining when they say the title I must know what it is

The chorus is a combination of these lines

Shout out to my haterz
Focused on my paper
We Doin it major
Im Balling like a Laker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

wigtrade.cc posted:

Some lovely song on the that I keep hearing but never at the begining when they say the title I must know what it is

The chorus is a combination of these lines

Shout out to my haterz
Focused on my paper
We Doin it major
Im Balling like a Laker

The would be "We Doing it Major" by LEWD Society. "We Major" is what he says right at the beginning before giving some shoutouts to his homies.