Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Robert Analog posted:

Have they fixed the Oldboy lossless audio on The Vengeance Trilogy? I'm struggling to find any information about this. Also does anyone know if the tin is only available from Best Buy?

I ordered from Amazon and got the tin.

Speaking of that, I don't think I want to bother trying to eBay the thing, so if anyone wants a Vengeance Trilogy tin (just the empty tin), PM me and I'll hook you up for a couple dollars shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

FitFortDanga posted:

I ordered from Amazon and got the tin.

Speaking of that, I don't think I want to bother trying to eBay the thing, so if anyone wants a Vengeance Trilogy tin (just the empty tin), PM me and I'll hook you up for a couple dollars shipping.

I'll take it off your hands assuming the fixed version doesn't come with the tin.

e; Walmart has it online for $40 but I can't find out whether or not it has the tin or the fixed copy and probably won't know until it arrives if you don't mind holding onto for a bit I'd appreciate it.

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 17, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Robert Analog posted:

I'll take it off your hands assuming the fixed version doesn't come with the tin.

e; Walmart has it online for $40 but I can't find out whether or not it has the tin or the fixed copy and probably won't know until it arrives if you don't mind holding onto for a bit I'd appreciate it.

I'll hold onto it until someone PM's me about it.

Some cover art:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Woohoo! October 5th can't come soon enough.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
hellll yes, love me some Bogart

(also the little treasure of the sierra madre dance)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Some cover art:

I'm so glad they didn't go the digibook route. Both of these should be first day buys for me.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back to the Future looks like a potential October release based on this.

Robin Hood will have an additional 26 minutes of footage cut back into the film for the home video release. That's only about half as much as the Kingdom of Heaven DC restored, but it's still a substantial amount of film and could go a long way toward ameliorating some of the movie's bigger problems.

The Wall: Live in Berlin is coming "on or about July 23."
In Cold Blood is getting an individual release on 9/7.

edit: The Exorcist is coming 10/5 in a digibook. It will include both the director's and theatrical cuts of the film.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 18, 2010

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

The Wall: Live in Berlin is coming "on or about July 23."

Ack, we're getting that before the movie?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

doctor thodt posted:

edit: The Exorcist is coming 10/5 in a digibook. It will include both the director's and theatrical cuts of the film.

You just made my day. I must say though, that there are three versions of the film; the original theatrical cut that was subsequently banned, the 25th anniversary edition which is Friedkin's preferred cut and the "version you've never seen" which is the longest version and Blatty's preferred cut. Which two are on he blu-ray?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
any word on Friedkin changing the colours around like in the French Connection?

is there a Fantômas collection coming? what are the chances of happening?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Honest Thief posted:

Tell me more about this... and capitalise your posts.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Found out on this very own thread actually

Bluray on the right

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Here is an article that talks about the changes. The cinematographer hates it. It does lose the warm 70s look, and the outcome is kinda like A Clockwork Orange.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Honest Thief posted:

All signs point to yes.

quote:

I want to know what your reaction is when Warner Bros. comes to you and says, "We want the Exorcist to be in 3D"? Are you going to sit there and go through that whole process yourself? Or are you going to turn it over to someone else?

William Friedkin: No. Never. Providing I'm still alive. Warner Bros. is obligated to come to me. And they do. The point is, it's a totally different medium. I currently have control over every single frame of film when converting it to Blu-ray. If I want a scene bluer, I get that scene bluer. Originally, there was some fluctuation with the prints. If you made a thousand, or a few thousand prints, there is no control over any of that. But now I can make a master using the digital process. That gives me total control over how I want the film to look in this new process. The films now look like they did when I was first looking through the viewfinder. Every time you run a 35mm print, it picks up scratches. It picks up dirt. Sometimes it breaks, and you have to re-splice it. You lose frames. This doesn't happen with digital, or God knows, Blu-ray. Yes, there has been talk about expanding The Exorcist into various other mediums. The Exorcist Blu-ray is coming out this fall. But we talked about going to IMAX with it. Nothing is certain yet. They've tried to exploit The Exorcist in all sorts of media. I think that's great. Because I love the new media.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEhkemlm34Uqjq

ProfessorClumsy posted:

William Friedkin went crazy, decided that The French Connection should feel more like a documentary and completely hosed with the color timing to achieve that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
At least he's not as batshit as Vittorio "Last Supper" Storaro. There were a couple emails from him floating around here at some point where he blathered about golden ratios and HD screens and came off like the timecube guy. What's really funny is that the Last Supper is not 2.00:1 like he thinks it is, which makes the cropping of The Last Emperor even stupider.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Now I'm just depressed. I hope he doesn't gently caress around with the Exorcist like that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Now I'm just depressed. I hope he doesn't gently caress around with the Exorcist like that.

The stupid part is that all the bitching could have been prevented by just having both versions on there. Unless two versions of the movie is just too big for one BD.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Well hey, Friedkin can gently caress around with the "Version You've Never Seen Before" and mess its colors straight to hell, as long as the original timing remains on the theatrical cut. I figure the new version is the one he'd rather gently caress with anyway.

I actually LIKE The French Connection's new look - but I do agree that I wish both versions were present on the disc. That's actually a 2 BD set (2nd is extras), so they could have spread the extras between the two discs and put one version on each disc if they were REALLY concerned about bit budgeting.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
American Beauty looks like a Sapphire Series release for September.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4769

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do we know which Pixar catalog title will mercifully, finally be released with TS3? I don't even care which one it is.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Captain Charisma posted:

Do we know which Pixar catalog title will mercifully, finally be released with TS3? I don't even care which one it is.

Considering it's been pushed back and back and back over the years, I'd guess Finding Nemo, but I'd greatly prefer The Incredibles.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stardust 9/7 (in Canada, but presumably the US will get it the same day)

Or instead of waiting 2.5 months you can just import it from the UK for $16.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Oh hey look, a terrific new release that went virtually unnoticed.

I guess that's what happens when you come out on the same day as a powerhouse like The Book of Eli :suicide:

Seriously though, go buy this brilliant and beautiful film. It's $20 at Best Buy and available in-store, or $21.49 at Amazon.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Why doesn't my new Showgirls blu-ray have a Paul Verhoeven commentary :mad:

I don't want to listen to some douchebag talk about why it's "ironic".

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mission 10/5

Just finished watching Red Desert. Probably one of the top 5 Criterion BD's to date.

e: oh, hi there

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 20, 2010

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Honest Thief posted:

is there a Fantômas collection coming? what are the chances of happening?
If you head over to Amazon France, the first has just been released on Blu-ray this week and the second two are coming in July with a boxset scheduled for October. I have no idea about region coding or English subs on these, so I suppose you'd have to poke around on some French Blu-ray news/reviews sites to get a better answer.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

doctor thodt posted:

e: oh, hi there

Yesssssssss :gizz:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

doctor thodt posted:

Slowly but surely I'm running out of reasons to keep my HD DVD player.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

doctor thodt posted:

About drat time. Now they just need to get the old superman movies out and I will never have to use my 360 player again.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Some more Predator screens if you hate yourself.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18800239#post18800239

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm to horrible to see the problem with the 1st and 3rd one, but the 2nd screenshot is clearly, even to me, really bad.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I'm to horrible to see the problem with the 1st and 3rd one, but the 2nd screenshot is clearly, even to me, really bad.

The first one is obvious in Arnold's cheeks. They look like they're made of wax. His clothing has that clay look, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

The first one is obvious in Arnold's cheeks. They look like they're made of wax. His clothing has that clay look, too.

Okay I see it now. It's just hard for me to notice without some comparison and knowing what it should look like. Although I should know this stuff by now. I certainly read the blu-ray thread enough.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Look at his forehead! It just looks... wrong. Like the technology just can't figure out foreheads.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Okay I see it now. It's just hard for me to notice without some comparison and knowing what it should look like. Although I should know this stuff by now. I certainly read the blu-ray thread enough.

It took me forever to notice DNR, but once you see it...well, you know how it goes.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Captain Charisma posted:

It took me forever to notice DNR, but once you see it...well, you know how it goes.

It's sorta like mp3 compression artifacts. Except for really lovely compression jobs, you generally don't notice them except in really stand-out cases. Subtle DNR isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but gently caress, that's not subtle at all, and the state of the technology isn't at a point where they can just say "computer, enhance" and the result is good. He really does look kind of like a wax figurine of himself. And the second screen, gently caress me, it's like they smeared it with Vaseline. Sure did get rid of all that noise :haw:

Reminds me of the edge-enhancement treatment some DVDs used to get. Hell, I remember ripping with DVDshrink and doing a "deep analysis" which applies variable edge-based softening or sharpening of its own (user selectable) in an attempt to counterbalance the artifacts generated by compression. In my opinion they still look better than the same amount of compression without any enhancement, provided you go with the more subtle sharpening option, but with BDs we're at a point where a good transfer has the space it needs to look freakin' fantastic without any stupid processing. Maybe that source material was so bad that some DNR would benefit it. I don't think that DNR is the god damned devil all the time, but that example is taking an axe to the source.

Is there any reason they had a problematic, really noise transfer the first time, and then this reissue has incredibly over the top DNR to "compensate?" Did they just not want to do another transfer, or is the source unusable now? What's the deal?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 20, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Is there any reason they had a problematic, really noise transfer the first time, and then this reissue has incredibly over the top DNR to "compensate?" Did they just not want to do another transfer, or is the source unusable now? What's the deal?

From what I heard, this is a new transfer. They just slavered it in DNR after they were done.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was just listening to an interview with Tommy Wiseau, and he says The Room will be released on Blu-Ray "before Christmas", with new behind-the-scenes footage. Glad I held off on the DVD.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I was just listening to an interview with Tommy Wiseau, and he says The Room will be released on Blu-Ray "before Christmas", with new behind-the-scenes footage. Glad I held off on the DVD.
Me too. I never watched it on DVD, but from the reputation, it's a first-day buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sporadic posted:

From what I heard, this is a new transfer. They just slavered it in DNR after they were done.

Welp :suicide:

• Locked thread