Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Readman posted:

Out of curiousity, is the outlook for the legal profession in America much worse than for other sectors? I had the impression that everything was pretty crap.

The legal profession in American has chosen to adopt a for-profit approach to law school. The more people who go, the more money our loan sharks, the American Bar Association, and the Universities make. It makes absolutely no difference that in the 50+ jurisdictions in the country, there are a grand total of 5000 jobs per year. If they can get 35,000 people to pay for law school, who cares? You think I'm exaggerating. I'm not.

Contrast this to the American Dental Association, which does not even acknowledge rankings much less participate in them, and also regulates the number of dentists graduating dental school each year. The American Medical Association has "Boards" where you go up and get grilled by #1 specialty experts on everything from colonoscopies to appendectomies to dermatological balding cures. If you don't have a sufficient knowledge about everything there is to know about medicine, you don't get your certification. They also regulate who graduates by having actual difficult classes and a really really advanced level of intelligence required to the get the fancy letters after your name.

For lawyers, you need to re-memorize everything your worthless professors failed to teach you during a few weeks in 1L to pass the bar (but they never told you what was going to be on the bar). Oh, and if you didn't know what accreditation meant before going to law school, then you better pray you guessed correctly on where you wanted to go.

The legal profession is not "worse than other sectors," it is absolutely and literally the hands-down 100% most useless loving awful "professional employment tract" to get into out of any profession in the U.S. right now.

Edit: Technically, I think Chiropractors have it worse than we do, but at least they aren't misled so fundamentally into believing that their school is anything but a scam. We get lied to. Most of us don't know it's a scam until we're halfway through first year.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

should've gone with clown college

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

should've gone with clown college

According to Faust(?), at least some clowns are sad. Lawyers need to pretend to care about their whiney loving clients. Therefore, clowns are more emotionally stable than most lawyers. QED.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

BigHead posted:

For lawyers, you need to re-memorize everything your worthless professors failed to teach you during a few weeks in 1L to pass the bar (but they never told you what was going to be on the bar). Oh, and if you didn't know what accreditation meant before going to law school, then you better pray you guessed correctly on where you wanted to go.

We don't even have a bar exam in Australia...

Actually, I think the same sort of thing is happening down here in terms of the number of lawyers being graduated vs. the number of available jobs. But university is a lot less expensive (and our quasi-loan scheme is run by the government so you pay it off on really generous terms), and law graduates are well-regarded in most non-legal government and corporate recruitment programs so it's not as big a problem.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Readman posted:

We don't even have a bar exam in Australia...

Actually, I think the same sort of thing is happening down here in terms of the number of lawyers being graduated vs. the number of available jobs. But university is a lot less expensive (and our quasi-loan scheme is run by the government so you pay it off on really generous terms), and law graduates are well-regarded in most non-legal government and corporate recruitment programs so it's not as big a problem.

Marry me!

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Move to Australia and we can have a domestic partnership!

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.
I had no idea about any of this doom and gloom. If what you're saying is true, it sounds like the legal profession is in very bad shape in this country. :(

That said, I think I'm still going to go if I have the chance. I have an uncle who is an attorney with his own successful small firm. I wasn't planning on going to him and asking for help, but I can, if I have to. He's probably going to retire in a few years.

Seems like a better prospect than going back to work at Walmart. :(

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I Am Not Clever posted:

I had no idea about any of this doom and gloom. If what you're saying is true, it sounds like the legal profession is in very bad shape in this country. :(

That said, I think I'm still going to go if I have the chance. I have an uncle who is an attorney with his own successful small firm. I wasn't planning on going to him and asking for help, but I can, if I have to. He's probably going to retire in a few years.

Just chimin' in to say that I know exactly one person in Oregon IRL and he recently got let go from the firm that he was an associate at.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I Am Not Clever posted:

Is the outlook really that grim? I was under the impression that schools like Lewis & Clark and University of Oregon are well-regarded within their region, the pacific northwest, though they may not get me far in New York City or Washington, DC, for example.

Every single law school claims this. They say "Yeah, you'd have to go to a T1 school if you wanted to practice anywhere in the US, but we are well regarded here in state/city. In fact regional firms love us because they see our graduates are better prepared to practice than those from other schools in the area."

As for your question about employment statistics, yes they are bullshit. You will graduate and go back to Walmart, and your school will count you as another successful student employed full-time at graduation. Unless your uncle will hire you out of school, do not go. Even then do not go unless you actually want to be a lawyer. Not wanting to work at Walmart anymore is not the same thing as wanting to be a lawyer.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

diospadre posted:

Unless your uncle will hire you out of school, do not go. Even then do not go unless you actually want to be a lawyer.

I Am Not Clever, this is your answer. Non-T1 schools only make sense if you have a family firm that you are planning to enter, because then you are guaranteed a job.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I Am Not Clever posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Is the outlook really that grim? I was under the impression that schools like Lewis & Clark and University of Oregon are well-regarded within their region, the pacific northwest, though they may not get me far in New York City or Washington, DC, for example.

Lewis & Clark claims that of the 216 graduates of the class of 2008 who sought employment, 92% report full-time employment, with 44% in private practice, 20% in business & industry, 17% in government, and so on.

Are they somehow misrepresenting the truth? Because the prospects don't sound nearly so grim as what I'm being told here. If I plan to stay in the pacific northwest, is going to Lewis & Clark really worse than not going to law school at all?

If it's really that bad, I guess I'd better know now.

Post/username combo owns

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

I Am Not Clever posted:

it sounds like the legal profession is in very bad shape in this country. :(

That said, I think I'm still going to go if I have the chance.

Congrats on being the person to make me break my two-month law thread celibacy.

You encapsulate why I decided a couple of months ago to stop posting in this thread. Helping 0Ls is just a waste of everyone's time. Someone asks for advice, they get the advice, and then they do what they want anyway. And in a few years, when they don't have a job, they whine about how unfair it is and how they were lied to.

I took a bunch of interns out to lunch yesterday and they started asking me about LLM programs and what I thought of them. I said that they weren't worth it, especially not at the schools they're considering. But it didn't matter what I was saying, they had already decided to go.

quote:

Intern Chorus: But what if we don't have any jobs?

10-8: Even if you don't have a job right out of law school, an LLM isn't the answer. An LLM only guarantees that you will lose 12 months of employment and incur another $50-70,000 in expenses. Even if it takes you 6 months to find a job, you still gain 6 months of wages and don't take on the LLM expenses. Even if it takes you a year to find a job, you are ahead because you didn't pay LLM expenses. Unemployment is financially preferable to an LLM.

Intern Chorus: But at least at the end we'd get jobs afterwards!

10-8: No, you won't. An LLM used to be the ticket for certain fields if you went to certain schools, but you aren't looking at those fields or schools. You might as well light your tuition money on fire.

Intern Chorus: But we'd get better networking!

10-8: I bet when you were pre-law, your law schools told you about how the school offered great networking to find jobs. How'd that work out?

Intern Chorus: But we heard that LLMs help develop issue spotting! *

* I'm not making this up. Someone actually said this.

10-8, in my mind: Seriously? What the gently caress is wrong with you morons? Issue spotting? You're going to pay tens of thousands of dollars for issue spotting? Is this a joke? And what makes you think you'll learn anything there if you haven't been able to learn how to do it in three years of law school?

10-8, in reality: Hmm, well, good luck I guess.

I've adopted a new mantra towards 0Ls, and it's been working out great: let them do what they want and then enjoy their sweet, delicate tears when they fail miserably a few years later.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 17, 2010

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

I Am Not Clever posted:

It is not limited to the US. Here in Brazil, if you went to a T1 law school, your chances of landing a decent job are greater, but by no means guaranteed, as the jobs simply aren't there.

If you went to anything less than T1, however, you just became a commodity that can be fired and replaced at will because there is a line of people willing to take your job. The job is mind-numbing because no one in their right mind will trust real important issues to you, so I hope you enjoy a life of errands and organizing documents and being a generic assistant to the big boys for US$ 20k a year.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

I Am Not Clever posted:

Hi, I was just admitted to practice in Illinois in May. I still work the same job I had when I started law school (for essentially the same pay), and my only option for legal employment was to re-join the military after being out for the last 10 years. AND I HAD TO APPLY 4 TIMES TO TWO DIFFERENT BRANCHES BEFORE I WAS ACCEPTED.

I'm not as gloom/doom as some posters itt, but the grim reality is that law schools are making too many lawyers and there aren't nearly enough positions for all of us to fill. The ABA isn't protecting our profession by stopping or slowing the proliferation of for-profit law schools in any way, and they are in fact encouraging this behavior for some reason (probably money related). Sure it's possible you MIGHT get a job after wasting 3 years of your life and a couple hundred G's at one of those Oregon schools, but it is far more likely you'll end up like me or any of 100 names I can give you off the top of my head that I know personally who are in the exact same situation as me. Just don't go. Seriously.

I wish I had known about this thread or had done more than a cursory investigation into what I was getting myself into before I went to law school.

P.S. - the law school I went to is "regionally respected" also, and I also guarantee they are counting me as "full-time employed" on their statistics, neverminding I work a job that doesn't even require a bachelor's degree, let alone a JD

edit: and just so you don't think "heh, well that guy just didn't work hard enough or do well enough :smug:" I can count on one hand the number of colleagues I graduated with working at firms right now, and two of my closest friends in law school were very high ranked and had firms slobbering over them during OCI in 2007, summered at said firms, then got the loving shaft when the economy nosedived in 2008 and were dropped in 2009.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 17, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I Am Not Clever posted:

Forgive me, because I'm sure that you know more about this than I do, but wouldn't that depend on my goals?

The schools are the 3 law schools in the state of Oregon: Lewis & Clark, University of Oregon, and Willamette.

I don't really want to defend my choice of schools, so can we just assume for a second that I would want to get into one of these schools? What is the proper strategy when you are waitlisted at multiple schools?

I want to contact them again, but should I?

Hey, look at everyone telling you not to go. I wonder why that is?

I Am Not Clever posted:

Oh right, that.

I don't want to sound crazy here, but talk to your uncle before you go to school.

Here is what you should be thinking (but are not) before deciding to go to law school.

1. Do I want to be a lawyer? (A: I do not know)
2. Will going to these law schools give me that opportunity? (A: almost certainly not in this economy. In '05 maybe.)
2A. What are my employment prospects? (A: nil, except for your uncle.)
3. Talk to your uncle and see if you have a job lined up before you go.

You're grasping for straws because (i) going to law school and becoming a lawyer is still firmly embedded in the American psyche as one of the tried and true paths to success, and (ii) you work at Walmart and that sucks.

Instead of doing something dumb you should take a step back and look at your options. What do you really want to do with your life? You have lots of free time in which to pursue the things you want to do. Go ahead, go and think about what you want to do with your life. Here is a short list of things you would probably like doing more:

whitewater rafting guide
ornithologist
working for ben affleck in the boiler room
being a carpenter
being a consultant
teaching english in east asia
joining the foreign service

The best part is that you can do whatever you want before you go to law school. Once you go to law school you are basically stuck (sorry Ainsley) and you can't get a job as a barista because you are overqualified.

Look at 10-8's post. Now read it again and think about how it applies to you. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I think you're making a bad decision without really taking the time to think it through.

All of that said, if you continue on this path go to Oregon unless you are admitted to Lewis & Clark's special environmental law program (but you aren't). Call each school and tell them that if you get in off the wait list you will come. Send them a letter saying this. Do not say "YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FAVORITE ALL TIME PICK" but do say "I am very excited about the opportunity to attend [____] and if admitted would enroll."

10-8 posted:

Congrats on being the person to make me break my two-month law thread celibacy.

You encapsulate why I decided a couple of months ago to stop posting in this thread. Helping 0Ls is just a waste of everyone's time. Someone asks for advice, they get the advice, and then they do what they want anyway. And in a few years, when they don't have a job, they whine about how unfair it is and how they were lied to.

I took a bunch of interns out to lunch yesterday and they started asking me about LLM programs and what I thought of them. I said that they weren't worth it, especially not at the schools they're considering. But it didn't matter what I was saying, they had already decided to go.

I've adopted a new mantra towards 0Ls, and it's been working out great: let them do what they want and then enjoy their sweet, delicate tears when they fail miserably a few years later.

:glomp:

edit:

Me Clumsy posted:

It is not limited to the US. Here in Brazil, if you went to a T1 law school, your chances of landing a decent job are greater, but by no means guaranteed, as the jobs simply aren't there.

If you went to anything less than T1, however, you just became a commodity that can be fired and replaced at will because there is a line of people willing to take your job. The job is mind-numbing because no one in their right mind will trust real important issues to you, so I hope you enjoy a life of errands and organizing documents and being a generic assistant to the big boys for US$ 20k a year.

Interestingly, if you went to a T14 school in the US and speak Portuguese there continue to be opportunities working for US firms in Brazil.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 17, 2010

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
If you go to Lewis and Clark, the only thing you'll be exploring is an unemployment line.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

quote:

I don't want to sound crazy here, but talk to your uncle before you go to school.

Just want to reinforce that he means talking to your uncle regarding having a job guaranteed once you're out of school. Don't talk to him about actual advice because old people are from a completely different generation of legal education that has nothing in common with today's.

"Oh yeah I graduated from Valpo and hung up my own shingle and LOOK AT ME NOW!! and do you know what you call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class? your lawyer haw haw haw haw"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

10-8 posted:

:glomp:

There's really no stopping them, so we may as well lean back and jerk off while they set themselves on fire. At least that way someone's having fun while they burn.

edit: I'm going to start a gimmick account whose sole purpose is to claim to be a recent TTT graduate working successfuly in BigLaw to fan the fires of their hope. Their delicious hope.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Just enrolled in Law & Literature. 3L is going to own. I'm going to write a paper about representations of the law and its institutions in the space opera.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
If Ersatz is still reading this, they started putting up postings for GS-9 level patent examiners on USAJobs. So far they have Electrical/Computer and Biomedical Engineering positions.

SV: The TTT Biglaw gimmick would also wonderfully troll the unemployed T1 grads, as a side benefit.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Scored as in?
As in (I think) we brought in a federal circuit appeal that I will be working on.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Also, I keep meaning to set up a side business doing qui tam false marking cases because that's gotta be the easiest money in the world until they put the clamp down on that.
Recoveries are pretty minimal to non-existent in false-marking suits, but there is some motivation to settle, given that the plaintiff often push it past summary judgment if you can plead it right.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

As in (I think) we brought in a federal circuit appeal that I will be working on.

Recoveries are pretty minimal to non-existent in false-marking suits, but there is some motivation to settle, given that the plaintiff often push it past summary judgment if you can plead it right.

You sir are incorrect, a pro sea attorney can file suit after purchasing the false marketed product and receive $500 per widget sold ($500 x 1000's = a lot of money).

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

I Am Not Clever posted:

Lewis & Clark claims that of the 216 graduates of the class of 2008 who sought employment, 92% report full-time employment, with 44% in private practice, 20% in business & industry, 17% in government, and so on.

Are they somehow misrepresenting the truth? Because the prospects don't sound nearly so grim as what I'm being told here.

Let's say you graduate and you go back to your job as a cashier at Wal-Mart... do you know what you are doing? You're working a job "in business & industry." Aside from maybe someone who worked at McKinsey before law school and goes back there, very few people become general counsel for a business straight out of law school so always be wary of schools with large business numbers. It's a catch-all.

There are quite a few people in this thread who work in government but guess what? They're not actually working as government ATTORNEYS, they work as things like tax compliance officers and patent examiners that don't require any sort of JD. But now they have debt.

And private practice? There's a wide variety in that category as well - including going solo. Some people are okay with that and go in head first, other people are pretty intimidated and unprepared because law school doesn't really teach you about the realities of practicing law.

Let's say you want to practice in Oregon - take a look at NALP Directory (http://www.nalpdirectory.com/) - a directory that contains the names of most of the large, competitive firms and info about their salaries, offers etc.. You'll see 19 firms listed for the entire state of Oregon, all in Portland, which is a desirable, trendy city.

Now click on their names and look at their info: Let's take Davis Wright, a 100 person firm in Portland. They took 6 summers in 2009 and made TWO offers. Stoel Rives has 154 people. They had 9 2L summers in 2009 and gave FOUR offers. Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt? 141 Attorneys, 5 2L Summers and THREE offers. Tonkon Torp? 84 attorneys in the office, 4 2L summers and THREE offers. Go through some of the other offices and you'll find a lot of those listed only have 5 - 20 attorneys in them and don't take more than one summer, if any.

So TWELVE people got offers from four of Portland's largest law firms in 2009. You don't think there are 12 people at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Duke, UVA, etc that are from Oregon and want to move back home?

There are other firms not listed but even the largest firms aren't taking very many people and the smaller firms are taking less and obviously, the practices that smaller firms are engaged in tend to differ so think about what you want to do when you graduate law school. Sometimes it's actually easier to go to places like DC and NYC because there are just flat out more firms and bigger class sizes. Sometimes wanting to work locally is not a good thing.

Edit: Also take a look at where these firms interview. You'll see that your schools are usually on the list but that the other schools they interview at are places like Harvard, UVA, Michigan, Washington, Berkeley, Stanford... so these firms are not just hanging around waiting for applications, they're actively going to on campus interviews across the country to interview at top 10 schools for those 12 spots.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 17, 2010

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

I Am Not Clever posted:

holy moly

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

I Am Not Clever posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Are they somehow misrepresenting the truth? Because the prospects don't sound nearly so grim as what I'm being told here. If I plan to stay in the pacific northwest, is going to Lewis & Clark really worse than not going to law school at all?

If it's really that bad, I guess I'd better know now.
The situation is not good right now. There are many more lawyers than there are jobs and lower ranked schools keep churning out new ones with promises that they will land awesome careers. Some career services centers (I don't know about L&C) have a habit of fudging their numbers by including graduates who are not employed as lawyers, which doesn't really give you an accurate picture of your job prospects. Things are also made worse by the economic downturn and I'm not sure if those numbers are reflecting that. T1 grads are competing for miserable contract jobs.

A regional school degree may be marketable in that region, but things will still be much more difficult for you. Even jobs in tiny rural enclaves that I apply to have tons of applicants, many of which are coming from name brand schools that I would have never expected to see out in the boonies.

Even if you want to practice in a regional market, I would really recommend getting your LSAT score up and applying to a better school. It will make things so much easier for you in the long run. You could try to wait out the recession (people from my school were doing a lot better six years ago), but you still don't have much of a guarantee about how things will look when you graduate.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Roger_Mudd posted:

You sir are incorrect, a pro sea attorney can file suit after purchasing the false marketed product and receive $500 per widget sold ($500 x 1000's = a lot of money).
I should have been clear that I was talking about actual recoveries, not potential receoveries. No plaintiff has received $500 per widget. One dude received like $180 per widget for a grand total of like six grand. Another received 35 cents per widget, albeit for a total of like $220,000. That's two plaintiffs who received some money. Very few other plaintiffs have entered settlements.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

I should have been clear that I was talking about actual recoveries, not potential receoveries. No plaintiff has received $500 per widget. One dude received like $180 per widget for a grand total of like six grand. Another received 35 cents per widget, albeit for a total of like $220,000. That's two plaintiffs who received some money. Very few other plaintiffs have entered settlements.

Edit: I am the one who licks balls. The articles were about "possible" judgments.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 18, 2010

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think you missed the point of his post. He doesn't need the nuts and bolts, but you can take those nuts and bolts and put them together in a more interesting way to explain why you would be a good lawyer and not just a doc reviewer.

Explain all that in a valuable way, as in what type of privilege you were looking for, what type of cases it was one, how you crafted a search tool that screened for items with 99% accuracy, supervised other attorneys and were the client contact on various projects...

Put it this way, as a hiring partner at a firm I don't give a poo poo that you looked through electronic documents and flagged stuff, but I am interested to know the subject matter and complexity of the documents and how you used your legal expertise to determine what to flag.
Yeah, slight misread there.

I've never gone much into detail on doc review projects because I figured anyone familiar with the work would just roll their eyes at attempts to make it sound complex. Have I just been doing this too long and gotten too bitter and negative about it?

builds character posted:

Unfortunately I don't know what the types of jobs you're looking at are looking for so I can't be as much help with respect to what your point should be.
Everything? In the legal world its mostly random govt attorney/contract specialist jobs & small firm jobs. Random staff attorney positions at large firms when I have the occasional connection to something like that.

Nonlegal: consulting, intel, law enforcement, foreign service, anything to get me a freaking job.

quote:

edit: here is some specific advice:

under the experience section have the part time job first with lots of meaty descriptions, then have contract attorney second (is there another way to say this?) with a brief description of the work generally (bearing in mind the message you're trying to send) and then under contract attorney you can have each project as a separate indented point with a brief description of how awesome you were on that particular project.

Firm Name, Location
Title and dates
* description

Contract Attorney Company or just Contract Attorney if there were a bunch of companies, Location, dates
* Project description of your skills
* Project 2 description of your skills

As far as I know, there's no other way to say contract attorney. Nothing that sounds better anyway. Doc reviewer & coder both seem like bad ideas.

So basically the message I'm seeing is, make each project sound like an immensely important separate thing that was very different in lots of important ways from all the other very important projects I've been on.

This is going to take up a lot of room. Go to a second page?

In the "Project x" area, are you thinking law firm I worked for or what?

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

I would suggest one section devoted to all your doc review work. Dropping names is o.k., but I'd be much more interested in the actual work you were doing and the content of your review. If it is science based or heavy tech/financial (and you actually had to understand those aspects of the case to do the review) that would be a huge plus. Show them that they can drop you into an area that you know nothing about and that you can teach yourself and become an expert on your own initiative. The more judgment calls you have to make the better. The more you interact with the attorneys working on the cases the better. No one is going to give a poo poo about whatever title they gave you at each one of these jobs or how long you were there. There might be some value in demonstrating that you could managerially supervise a doc review, but there are plenty of people who can do that.

One long pharma project got decently technical. I now know a lot more about the female body than I ever thought I would. Most reviews are fairly simple and just require a basic understanding of business concepts. I've read over some really technical computer engineering docs, though we barely knew what we were looking at. My loathing of doc review gets in the way here again. If a contract attorney tried to tell me he was an expert on something because he did a review related to that subject matter I would probably think he was an idiot. I have known some that really did become experts on stuff after doing nothing but that one case for a couple years though.

I really suck at selling myself. Even slightly exaggerating qualifications makes me uncomfortable and I start imagining that I'll be called on it an interview and be run out of the office with an angry mob behind me. Stupid parents.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

I Am Not Clever posted:

There is one way that law school makes sense here. If you go to your uncle, and say "Uncle, I would like to work for you while in law school and thereafter, and take over your practice when you want to retire" and he says "That is a great idea!" then go to law school. Otherwise, don't go, no jobs, die alone.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service

No, don't make the registers any longer!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kase Im Licht posted:

I really suck at selling myself. Even slightly exaggerating qualifications makes me uncomfortable and I start imagining that I'll be called on it an interview and be run out of the office with an angry mob behind me. Stupid parents.

High five :(

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Never change, '0L's, never change :911:

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

I Am Not Clever posted:

Don't let these naysayers hold you back dood. They just want to keep all the big money cash cash to themselves.

164 lsat + a JD from a highly respected school = big money.

Why listen to a bunch of anonymous people online who claim that they can't get jobs when you can get the real deal info from the school. Why would the school lie? if theyre lying then why aren't their previous students WHO ARE NOW BIG SHOT LAWYERS suing their asses off?!?!

Maybe itll be tough to get that first job and maybe you'll only start at $10/hour which maybe is the same as walmart and yeah maybe you'll owe $1500/month to access group for the rest of your life but IBR that poo poo and the sky is the limit as a lawyer! Plus even if you go back to walmart after you pass the bar, you'll probably be able to snag some good slip n fall cases and then youre on your way to easy street.

Whats the top salary for a retail slave? $40K? What's the top salary for a lawyer? 1M? 15M? Of course you'll start at the bottom after graduation but after you get some experience, collecting onions, and your salary will easily zip past 80K and then you can save up some cash and open your own office?

You think you're going to open your own walmart after 5 years of being a cashier? gently caress no.

Get your rear end to Clark & Griswald. You'll thank me in three years when the economy is better and you've got a new JD and youve dropped a turd and ran out of TP.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2011

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Kase Im Licht posted:

Don't think that way; it's not that you have a tough time selling yourself, it's that you're not some low class commodity to be marketed and sold. Know that you are a well-raised gentleman, and assume the stature and respect of one. Trust me, you don't want the job because you're a mealy-mouthed marketer; just embrace the good lessons you've learnt as a child and go in to the interview with a straight back and strong moral conviction. You will win hearts and minds forged of a finer substance that way, and definitely find a good place in this world.

If you want a good story to tell, do some volunteer work and focus on that. As someone else here said, gov offices are always looking for unpaid workers. If you honestly want to avoid behaving in the above manner, then perhaps you shouldn't be in law at all; desperation might forgive a temporary lapse so that you can beguile some interviewer, bad times happen to all of us, but put a stop to it immediately afterwards at least.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

OptimistPrime posted:

If Ersatz is still reading this, they started putting up postings for GS-9 level patent examiners on USAJobs. So far they have Electrical/Computer and Biomedical Engineering positions.
Awesome - thanks for alerting me to this!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I got a 164 too :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Yeah, slight misread there.

I've never gone much into detail on doc review projects because I figured anyone familiar with the work would just roll their eyes at attempts to make it sound complex. Have I just been doing this too long and gotten too bitter and negative about it?

You're not trying to make it sound complex or like you're performing brain surgery. Everyone in the entire world knows that doc review is not exactly brain surgery. What you're trying to do is tell the person reading that while you're not doing brain surgery you have useful skills that you'll be able to apply to their job. And, just as importantly, that you are able to develop skills while working at a job.

Here is an example about transactional work: being a transactional attorney is, for much of your first year, about changing dates and numbers, making sure other people's comments get made and making sure all of the documents are ready on time and everyone signs everything. That's why no one wants to pay for first years. At the same time, your first year you're also learning which documents there are in different deals, what they look like, how attorneys negotiate, how to speak to clients and (if your partners and senior associates are good) what the law is and how it's applied. So you can say "I played mad libs with names and dates in deal docs, did whatever the partners told me to and assembled signature pages" or you can say "I negotiated, I had client contact and I have experience with Rule 144A offerings and proxy statements." Both of those are true but the latter sends a very different message. As a first year you couldn't say "drafted merger agreement for JPM in acquisition of Bear Stearns" but you can talk about what you've done in such a way that it highlights what you've learned and the skills you bring to the table rather than the mechanics of how you learned or developed those skills.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Everything? In the legal world its mostly random govt attorney/contract specialist jobs & small firm jobs. Random staff attorney positions at large firms when I have the occasional connection to something like that.

Nonlegal: consulting, intel, law enforcement, foreign service, anything to get me a freaking job.

As far as I know, there's no other way to say contract attorney. Nothing that sounds better anyway. Doc reviewer & coder both seem like bad ideas.

So basically the message I'm seeing is, make each project sound like an immensely important separate thing that was very different in lots of important ways from all the other very important projects I've been on.

You're able to quickly pick up on different areas of the law (I assume you have to learn what is bad for asbestos vs. what's bad for securities fraud vs. etc), work hard, supervise other attorneys, meet deadlines, code, recognize where an alternative solution/method is more efficient then develop and implement that solution (still coding but do you see where I'm going with this?).

Each project isn't an immensely important separate thing, but you can't present them as "fogged spoon, clicked yes/no."

Kase Im Licht posted:

This is going to take up a lot of room. Go to a second page?

In the "Project x" area, are you thinking law firm I worked for or what?

One long pharma project got decently technical. I now know a lot more about the female body than I ever thought I would. Most reviews are fairly simple and just require a basic understanding of business concepts. I've read over some really technical computer engineering docs, though we barely knew what we were looking at. My loathing of doc review gets in the way here again. If a contract attorney tried to tell me he was an expert on something because he did a review related to that subject matter I would probably think he was an idiot. I have known some that really did become experts on stuff after doing nothing but that one case for a couple years though.

Never ever go to a second page. Unless you're really important. If you want I'm happy to take a look at your resume, just shoot me a pm.

Law firm and case as long as it's a matter of public record. If not then law firm + type of case.

For the long pharma case you can add in some knowledge about the law. Or you can add something about reviewing technical data or the like. Your message there could be "I am good at science stuff, I learn and I have fairly extensive knowledge in this technical area." If he tried to tell you he was an expert and wasn't then yes, but if you're able to speak intelligently about it then that's another case entirely.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Don't think of it as selling yourself. Pretend you're writing a resume for a friend of yours you think is awesome. What would you say about the skills they have that would make them look valuable to an employer?

Omerta posted:

One of my friends has been working for Wachtell (read super duper exclusive NY firm, one of the best in the U.S.) as a paralegal. He worked 92 hours last week. Being a lawyer rules.

Being a lawyer sucks because none of that would be overtime for a lawyer (plus Wachtell's been pretty stingy with bonuses as of late).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xane
Jan 29, 2003
If you are determined to go to law school no matter what anyone says, I have only one piece of advice for you. Be sure you have a valuable specialization your classmates do not, like engineering, accounting, or medicine. That way you can go to a t2 school and not be boned.