Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When they first announced Recycled Vessel, they said it was the first of their DLC so I assume that at some point they'll go ahead and release more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full
I feel the need to listen to that song from Emil's mansion (The Ultimate Weapon) at all times; in the shower, in the car, at work, in class, going to sleep. It's like a trance.

Cabadillo
Jan 1, 2004

Adorable and Nutritious
This game may not be the best looker, or even the best player, but god drat is it fascinating. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it, even across games like Mario Galaxy 2 and Red Dead Redemption. Something about the story is impressively compelling; I always want to know more.

The voice acting in this game is so good, I swear that the guy who voices Grimoire Weiss is channeling Alan Rickman for the role, and the woman who voices Kaine was obviously really into the character concept, since she just gets right under all that potty-mouth and delivers it with some metaphorical balls to match Kaine's actual ones.

As an aside: why the hell isn't the combat in the main game as intense as the World of Recycled Vessel stuff? For that matter, why wasn't the WoRV music already in the game, when it's so incredibly good (which is not to say that the soundtrack as it stands is BAD, it's just that the megamix of the main themes they use for the DLC is incredible) And for yet another matter, why wasn't BroNier a bonus costume for completing the whole thing? It's no sillier than the Kabuki costume and would have given the DLC a nice value-add.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I thought the megamix soundtrack in the World of Recycled Vessel was good, but I can't imagine when it would be appropriate in the game to toss out a random techno song and have it fit in the context of anything, really.

BroNier was probably not added due to the potential awkwardness of having some slight dialogue differences or whatever, I don't know about that one.

Also, I like your name because it is Legend of Mana related, which was another interesting action RPG with really cool music and a kind of depressing story line.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Project Oni posted:

I feel the need to listen to that song from Emil's mansion (The Ultimate Weapon) at all times; in the shower, in the car, at work, in class, going to sleep. It's like a trance.

Agreed. The music on the whole is outstanding, but this track is very memorable.

individuo grande
Jun 22, 2008
Got this game a few days ago after hearing several things about it. Pleasantly surprised with it, loving the story and the characters and even the combat is pretty fun! I got past the Junk Yard and well...am I the only one who thought those security robots seemed kind of familiar?

Click here for the full 800x686 image.

Yeah, probably but I thought it'd be fun to give my tablet a try doodling that up.

Game is seriously awesome and I can't wait to put some more time into it!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rented it for the week yesterday and after about four hours my wife wanted to murder me over the looping soundtrack in the fields around the starter village. Can't say I disagreed.

I did enjoy the first "dungeon" but I'm weirded out by how it just arbitrarily goes to overhead or side to side depending on the particular room I'm in. Two identical rooms are traditional camera behind and then suddenly the next four also identical rooms are locked in the overhead position.

Still, I'm enjoying the combat pretty well and am going to stick it out for a little more investigation. DarkId has threatened to LP this, so I'm looking forward to what has earned his ire.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Lotish posted:

Rented it for the week yesterday and after about four hours my wife wanted to murder me over the looping soundtrack in the fields around the starter village. Can't say I disagreed.

I did enjoy the first "dungeon" but I'm weirded out by how it just arbitrarily goes to overhead or side to side depending on the particular room I'm in. Two identical rooms are traditional camera behind and then suddenly the next four also identical rooms are locked in the overhead position.

Still, I'm enjoying the combat pretty well and am going to stick it out for a little more investigation. DarkId has threatened to LP this, so I'm looking forward to what has earned his ire.

The fact that it's a sequel to ending E of Drakengard 1 may have something to do with it. :ssh:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
God, Drakengard was the worst game I have ever rented in 20 years. I definitely have my reservations about renting a game by the same developers.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

sclark13 posted:

God, Drakengard was the worst game I have ever rented in 20 years. I definitely have my reservations about renting a game by the same developers.

I know, I mean think of the money at stake!!

Also, Demon's Souls is by the same developer as Enchanted Arms? Man, gently caress that game there's no way it could be good.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

sclark13 posted:

Just skip it and play Drakengard II, it's better.

Xythar: It's the same developers but I don't think it's the same team. Demon's Souls was made by the people who made King's Field... I don't think those same people made Enchanted Arms, or Tenchu, or any number of other From Software games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Xythar: It's the same developers but I don't think it's the same team. Demon's Souls was made by the people who made King's Field... I don't think those same people made Enchanted Arms, or Tenchu, or any number of other From Software games.

Surely I can't be the only one who likes to imagine that the team who made Demon's Souls is the same one who worked on Metal Wolf Chaos. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

GUI posted:

Surely I can't be the only one who likes to imagine that the team who made Demon's Souls is the same one who worked on Metal Wolf Chaos. :v:

I too follow this faith. It gets me through the day.

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009
I like to think that the team that made Demon's Souls are the same people responsible for killing my grandmothers.

I finished all of the Nier endings last night and only need the speed run for platinum. For those of you who have done the speed run, did you find it was enough to put it on easy and fly through, or do you have to spend time grinding for experience? As much as I love the game I have other things I should be playing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

I like to think that the team that made Demon's Souls are the same people responsible for killing my grandmothers.

I finished all of the Nier endings last night and only need the speed run for platinum. For those of you who have done the speed run, did you find it was enough to put it on easy and fly through, or do you have to spend time grinding for experience? As much as I love the game I have other things I should be playing.

I did the speed run in a little under 9 hours or so. I did like no grinding and skipped every cutscene to do it that fast, but it's only the most difficult at the start. Since you're not intending to do any crafting or quests or whatever, you pick up all these Materials and junk you can sell really fast. By the time I finished Junk Heap in part 1, I had enough to buy Beastbain and it carried me easily all the way to Phoenix Spear in Part 2. No problem.

But yeah set it to Easy.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Lotish posted:

I actually like Nier.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just skip it and play Drakengard II, it's better.

I hate King's Field as well so same diff really

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
For those who can't stand the music loops, this might be obvious as hell, but you can cut out the BGM in the options menu. It definitely improved my experience after my nth trip through the Junk Heap.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

individuo grande posted:

Got this game a few days ago after hearing several things about it. Pleasantly surprised with it, loving the story and the characters and even the combat is pretty fun! I got past the Junk Yard and well...am I the only one who thought those security robots seemed kind of familiar?

Click here for the full 800x686 image.

Yeah, probably but I thought it'd be fun to give my tablet a try doodling that up.

Game is seriously awesome and I can't wait to put some more time into it!

I was thinking the same thing! I wonder what purpose that lightning weapon was supposed to serve---

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So, uh, I finally got my hands on RepliCant.

This... this is certainly a thing. Yeah, just... just running around with a sword the size of myself killing things as a 16 year old boy that everyone thinks is hot poo poo for some reason... uhhhhhhh

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
People don't love the game for the combat or visuals (though both are serviceable). Keep playing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just the tone of this game is a huge departure from the Nier we have over here, also fun to note that RepliCant feels the need to basically detail the entire loving game in the demo cutscene. Seriously, they show the final boss and even DLC weapons in the demo reel (it sadly doesn't open with "WEISS! YOU DUMBASS!")

I've got a feeling I'm in for a weirder ride than my trip through Nier in the Western version.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
To be fair the demo reel is pretty drat spoiler-y in the Gestalt version as well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Renoistic posted:

To be fair the demo reel is pretty drat spoiler-y in the Gestalt version as well.

Well, I suppose you're right. For some reason the Replicant opening spends like a minute and a half in the beginning showing basically every cutscene in The Aerie fight in Part 2 which I thought was odd.

Just a few thoughts though so far, I really like how Weiss and Nier are playing out in this just because I don't like 16-year old Nier and a lot of Weiss' scathing remarks just get met with Nier acting like a dumb kid. It's like Weiss is a mystical babysitter who constantly has to put him in his place. Some of the little attention to details are nice, if young Nier gets hit hard enough he actually has to start gasping for air because he got the wind knocked out of him. I don't like though how basically every weapon young Nier gets is almost as big as him, I have the Nirvana Dagger right now and its easily reaching down to his knees.

It's also sad that the first thing I did when I got to the point Side Quests open up is dash to The Aerie and start farming Eagle Eggs. I will never be free from this loving game :smithicide:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Uh, poo poo, can someone who's played RepliCant tell me what's the deal with this game's audio? I think I remember some of you in here played it before me.

The music and voice acting sounds so muted and hard to hear, I have to crank the volume up on my TV to unreasonable levels just to hear Shade characters (like Grandma and Weiss (why the gently caress is he "White" now?) is incomprehensible sometimes. Also what's the deal with Kaine being censored? And not in that funny "word changing" way but in the blatant "we put @$^&!# over the words and bleeped it" censoring? It got really funny when like half her dialog in the Part 1 Aerie battles is just bleeps.

I'm curious because I thought I heard that the audio was all turned down for Replicant but I wasn't sure is all, just asking.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, accidentally spoiled myself on a few things while skimming the last few pages looking for some info on the dlc that's available, but I still have some questions. Basically, I am warming to the game, though my mother threatened to kill me if I hummed the village BGM anymore (it's drat infectious), and I'm curious if any of the DLC packs are worth getting. I'm on the 360 if it matters.

I also heard there's a DLC that has weapons related to Caim and a version of the young Nier. Are those available and when you use them do they apply to the whole game? Because I find the idea of running around with an young kid that speaks like an old man to be hilarious.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

There's only one DLC.
Its a sort of Challenge Room pack; just fighting a bunch of monsters in a row. You can get 3 weapons and 2 costumes from it. Those are usable at anytime in the game. However, the Young Neir is not, he's only played as in the DLC rooms.

I can't imagine most people would feel the DLC is worth the price, but I quite liked the remixed music that played during it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Renoistic posted:

No kidding, it even has stuff like the final boss battle and the battle with the twins but it goes by so quickly you don't really notice.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Xythar posted:

No kidding, it even has stuff like the final boss battle and the battle with the twins but it goes by so quickly you don't really notice.

I watched the demo reel again after playing through half the game and immediately recognized Devola/Popola, so I can't say the battle came as a surprise :(.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm having trouble with the farming. I've used a variety of bounty and speed fertilizers to try and grow some melons and wheat to satisfy some quests. I've watered them as much as I've been able, and they seem to have grown--especially the wheat--but the only option I get is to discard them. Did I mess up?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Lotish posted:

I'm having trouble with the farming. I've used a variety of bounty and speed fertilizers to try and grow some melons and wheat to satisfy some quests. I've watered them as much as I've been able, and they seem to have grown--especially the wheat--but the only option I get is to discard them. Did I mess up?

They take actual real-time to grow, it's like 12/24 real life hours or something for certain things. So it may be ripening and not yet ready to harvest. You can speed the process up by saving, going back to your console's time settings and setting it forward (lifesaver for stuff like Moonflowers). They will clearly look dead if you messed up, like all black, brown, and wilted so they're probably almost done.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Grimoire Noir translation has been updated again, with the short story "The Mermaid Princess", most of the Creator's interview, and the Interview with Emi Evans, who did the vocals in the soundtrack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cant wait to post!! posted:

Ok phew I thought I had hosed up horribly and was super leveled or something.

Also, swearing in an RPG? This is already starting off well :munch:

*Turns on PS3*
WEISS YOU rear end in a top hat

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Here's some stuff from the timeline that got posted that has me confused (major spoilers, obviously):

quote:

3288 - Gestaltized humans begin awakening

- With the world purified, Gestalts begin to awaken. Replicants who have acquired self-awareness, however, see them as "monsters" who would take their bodies.
- A battle begins between Replicants and Gestalts. In some areas where Androids are solidly in control, it is revealed [to Replicants] that they should accept Gestalts, and Gestalts safely return to their human bodies.

and then at the end of the timeline:

quote:

-Replicant Nier and Gestalt Nier face off in the "Shadowlord's Castle". Replicant Nier defeats Gestalt Nier, and because Gestalt Yonah has lost her own consciousness, Replicant Yonah reacquires hers.
- With the death of Gestalt Nier, the Original Gestalt, Project Gestalt is unable to proceed. Humanity begins its inevitable decline.

How can humanity be doomed/Project Gestalt be a failure if Gestalts returned to their bodies in other places? Obviously that's a HUGE bottleneck in the human population but if enough areas were successful they'd be able to repopulate?

Also, I've had the northern plains music stuck in my head for the past few days, even though I haven't played this in a few weeks. I've been trying to "translate" the words to it. A new Hibachi, go see a Liberace, so clear I'll make a Shawn, ah hey!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

From the translation docs:
Seriously guys?
"# 2030 - "Red Eye", leader of the Legion, is defeated.

* The last "Red Eye", leader of the Legion, is killed in Jerusalem by the leader of the 13th Crusade. "

Also they mention something about children being used as the 5th crusade unit because the medicine works better on them; wasn't the 5th crusade the children's crusade? Thought that was funny

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh my god, they're translating the Weapon stories! :neckbeard:

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Talkin' bout the end

This is from Grimoire Nier, one of the director interviews

It’s a bad end either way

---Supposed the Shadow Lord acquired Replicant Nier’s body, and the black and white books merged together, would the world still be saved?

Yokoo: If he can completely eradicate the Legion (the army of berserk White Chlorination Syndrome victims) then yes. But even if peace is restored, Yonah’s body is still suffering from the Black Scrawl, so there is still no way to save her.

---What!

Yokoo: Yeah, there is no hope for Yonah and Nier.

---But Replicant Nier saved Replicant Yonah in Ending A, B and C.

Yokoo: It does matter if Replicant Nier and Replicant Yonah survive. Without the supply of Demonic Element (The original Nier’s body produces a type of material that is vital in stabilizing the gestalt’s condition), all the Gestalt will become corrupted, and therefore no copies of the original body can be made. Adding to the fact that Popola and Devola are killed, there is no one left to manage the death and rebirth of the replicants, so all the replicants will die out after this generation.

Yeah. It's a real downer.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Yeah. It's a real downer.

I read that interview a while back, but it still seems to conflict with that timeline. Obviously Nier and company are hosed but it seems like there were a lot more androids (like the twins) in other areas of the world that were able to get the Gestalts to return to their bodies, and that was around 80 years prior to when the game takes place. The timeline also says that the last of the Legion was wiped out in 2800, so those people who un-Gestalted are good now? Or am I missing something really obvious?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I had to send the rental back but now I want to own a copy. I remember a while back there was some sort of offer from...Amazon, I want to say where you could get the game for about half price. Anyone know if that's still going or where I can get it cheaper than going to Gamestop?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I read that interview a while back, but it still seems to conflict with that timeline. Obviously Nier and company are hosed but it seems like there were a lot more androids (like the twins) in other areas of the world that were able to get the Gestalts to return to their bodies, and that was around 80 years prior to when the game takes place. The timeline also says that the last of the Legion was wiped out in 2800, so those people who un-Gestalted are good now? Or am I missing something really obvious?

the grimoires, they were the key to return the souls to their original bodys; and since the androids are dead I don't think there's going to be a renewed generation, although ending A showed a young yonah and nier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Honest Thief posted:

although ending A showed a young yonah and nier

I think that was a flashback.

• Locked thread