Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bud Manstrong posted:

You haven't had the banjo bolt checked since the TSB came out? You were running the stock turbo, right?
I tried to have a dealer do it right after I bought it, but I don't think they did it.
I was a lazy fucker, and I used synthetic with low OCIs. I'm not sure oil starvation actually caused my issue though. I'll find out when I get it off in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
today at work was hilarious. The owner of another performance subaru shop brought his car to us because they couldn't get it to start after a motor build.

the first problem was that the fuel lines were connected wrong at the tank, and not even at the pump, after the guy took the wrong cover off and put it back together wrong. So we get fuel to the motor, and it doesn't sound right cranking over, as though the timing was set wrong. So the covers come off, and sure enough the belt is on wrong. additionally, the timing guide was loose and the tensioner was missing a washer, which makes it not actually tension the belt.

put the tensioner and belt on right, and start the car. loud loud bad noises and you can hear the lack of compression in two cylinders while cranking. So this subaru performance shop owner gets to have us tear apart his motor and fix it. guess they won't be at the big subaru meet this weekend in san diego. And this is right after I finished fixing a clutch install the same shop hosed up.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
So, has anyone taken their Forester off-road? How good does it handle?

ZombiesAhead
Sep 16, 2009
My CV boot is torn on the passenger side of my 04 WRX. I'm a pretty DIY guy with cars but never messed around with an axle before.

Do I want to just buy a whole new axle (remanufactured, probably under $100) or actually deal with taking apart the bearings and stuff?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

ZombiesAhead posted:

My CV boot is torn on the passenger side of my 04 WRX. I'm a pretty DIY guy with cars but never messed around with an axle before.

Do I want to just buy a whole new axle (remanufactured, probably under $100) or actually deal with taking apart the bearings and stuff?

I believe you answered your own question there.

Do you want to spend $100 to buy a re manufactured axle, or go through the trouble of taking apart the axle and repairing it yourself. Part swap vs Part repair.

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/5%20-%20CHASSIS.PDF

Page 148

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

subaru posted:

CAUTION:
The grease is a special grease. Do not confuse
with other greases.

As long as you have snap ring pliers and half a brain, this is the hardest part about rebuilding a CV.
Also, people I know have used rebuilt assemblies from chain auto parts stores and ended up doing the job repeatedly due to low quality parts failing.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

I tried to have a dealer do it right after I bought it, but I don't think they did it.
I was a lazy fucker, and I used synthetic with low OCIs. I'm not sure oil starvation actually caused my issue though. I'll find out when I get it off in a while.

I remember having them pull both banjo bolts on mine as soon as I had to chance just so I didn't have to have that freaking out in the back of my head.

ZombiesAhead
Sep 16, 2009

ab0z posted:

As long as you have snap ring pliers and half a brain, this is the hardest part about rebuilding a CV.
Also, people I know have used rebuilt assemblies from chain auto parts stores and ended up doing the job repeatedly due to low quality parts failing.

I guess I could struggle through this the long way (which would be fun) but I just don't have the time now. You really think the remanufacture parts are garbage?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ZombiesAhead posted:

I guess I could struggle through this the long way (which would be fun) but I just don't have the time now. You really think the remanufacture parts are garbage?

not necessarily as a rule, but frequently yes.
If it's just the boot that's bad, get a boot and some of the magical special grease from subaru. You'll save a bunch of money and learn something useful. The actual dis assembly of the axle isn't that hard, and you have to completely remove it whether you replace the boot or the whole thing.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

today at work was hilarious. The owner of another performance subaru shop brought his car to us because they couldn't get it to start after a motor build.

the first problem was that the fuel lines were connected wrong at the tank, and not even at the pump, after the guy took the wrong cover off and put it back together wrong. So we get fuel to the motor, and it doesn't sound right cranking over, as though the timing was set wrong. So the covers come off, and sure enough the belt is on wrong. additionally, the timing guide was loose and the tensioner was missing a washer, which makes it not actually tension the belt.

put the tensioner and belt on right, and start the car. loud loud bad noises and you can hear the lack of compression in two cylinders while cranking. So this subaru performance shop owner gets to have us tear apart his motor and fix it. guess they won't be at the big subaru meet this weekend in san diego. And this is right after I finished fixing a clutch install the same shop hosed up.

Can we guess the shop?

Does the name begin with a G?

ZombiesAhead posted:

How soon did you catch it? I noticed a slit in my CV Boot and just replaced that with new grease and boot. If I had not caught it early and it was torn to shreds with no grease, I'd probably go with a new axle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The pre-purchase inspection for my WRX said that the inner right CV boot was leaking some grease, so I stopped off at an independent Subaru mechanic a few months later and they told me they just had to replace some kind of clip on the axle and the boot was fine. I guess I got lucky.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The pre-purchase inspection for my WRX said that the inner right CV boot was leaking some grease, so I stopped off at an independent Subaru mechanic a few months later and they told me they just had to replace some kind of clip on the axle and the boot was fine. I guess I got lucky.

What year? The 2002's had a TSB about installling a collar on the axle to prevent it from flinging grease on the turbo which caused it to smoke.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Drained my rear diff fluid last night. Holy crap those bolts were a bear to get off. Had to borrow a 2 foot cheater bar from my neighbor as my 18" breaker and 240 ft lb torque wrench weren't enough to get those drat bolts off. Fluid was decently tan in color so glad I did it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

What year? The 2002's had a TSB about installling a collar on the axle to prevent it from flinging grease on the turbo which caused it to smoke.
'06. I seem to have dodged pretty much all of the chronic WRX issues, but I still get a bit of nervous clench when second gear feels 'grindy.'

edit: oh god, the rear diff fluid too

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 17, 2010

ZombiesAhead
Sep 16, 2009
I wasn't sure how long it's been torn - probably only a month or two but I drive on some pretty gnarly, dirty roads.

I've got a remanufactured axle coming into NAPA tomorrow morning but I've got a big problem:

I snapped the head off the 14mm horizontal bolt holding the ball joint in. I PB blasted over the course of an hour, hit it with my impact wrench, and finally used a breaker bar and felt it twist right off.

1. What's plan B? Disconnect the strut? I'd need an alignment after, right?

2. Is that broken bolt ever coming out of the hub assembly or am I going to need to find a whole new piece?

ZombiesAhead fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 17, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Iron Squid posted:

Oh, mine was pretty decent. Plus 220kph on a gravel road is fair whack hauling rear end

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

ZombiesAhead posted:

2. Is that broken bolt ever coming out of the hub assembly or am I going to need to find a whole new piece?

:aaa:

That's what I dread the most about working on my car. You can always drill out the bolt and re-tap it...

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Hi RockAuto,

We found this 1970 Subaru 360 van in early 1975. The price of gas had just skyrocketed to (gasp) 45 cents a gallon! My wife thought it was cute, and I thought it would be practical. So we bought it, and more than 35 years later we still drive it every day. It has a 360cc 2-stroke engine (21 ci) that got 25 hp in 1969. This lets us keep up with traffic and pass lots of gas stations.

Thanks again for the parts you stock and keep available for Subaru 360s (you are one of the very few who actually list parts for them) and so many other vehicles! The SUBARU 360 DRIVERS' CLUB has also helped us and other Subaru 360 drivers keep our favorite vehicles on the road.

Ed in Arizona

Magnolia Down
Apr 16, 2010
I hope this hasn't been asked already so apologies if I missed it in the previous 100 odd pages. What fuel is everyone using for their Subarus? I have a Legacy GTB and use 98 RON fuel whenever I can but occassionally have to use 95 RON. I've been told that because my car is JDM that it's mapped for 100 RON fuel which is, I think, only available in Japan so 98 RON is the closest I can get to this.

So, what model do you have and which fuel type do you put in her?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Iron Squid posted:

There is a guy on USMB that wheels his. Seems like it's pretty capable. He takes it to on some jeep meets and surprises people with it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Only problems with wheeling an impreza based subaru is the open drivetrain/lack of low range and high centering.

A friend of mine has some experience wheeling his impreza (forester is based off the impreza, but has taller suspension), close enough I guess.

Lifted with 1 inch spacers (similar to if he had just thrown forester suspension on it). General Grabber truck tires.

He said it was fine out in the Utah Desert, but here in Maine, he's had some trouble...

Utah:

http://www.youtube.com/user/skiermandude#p/u/5/xgVnoitPcvI

Maine:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I love the offroad Imprezas. Someone on DirtyImpreza had this really butchered 06 wagon that he moved the suspension mounting points and did a whole new rear subframe. Looked awesome.

e: It's the Jackson Rally "Dirty Wagon." I'm sure someone posted about this here before.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/jackson-rally-project-dirtywagon-43190/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 18, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ZombiesAhead posted:

I wasn't sure how long it's been torn - probably only a month or two but I drive on some pretty gnarly, dirty roads.

I've got a remanufactured axle coming into NAPA tomorrow morning but I've got a big problem:

I snapped the head off the 14mm horizontal bolt holding the ball joint in. I PB blasted over the course of an hour, hit it with my impact wrench, and finally used a breaker bar and felt it twist right off.

well gently caress. Unless you have a nice drill press setup and some good taps, probably get on car-part.com immediately and find a whole knuckle at a nearby yard. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

ZombiesAhead
Sep 16, 2009

ab0z posted:

well gently caress. Unless you have a nice drill press setup and some good taps, probably get on car-part.com immediately and find a whole knuckle at a nearby yard. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Oh man I am notorious for this... I'm leaving the country for almost a year in two weeks though so I think I'm just going to put the wheel and axle nut back on and pretend this never happened...

Not even going to try to drill/tap I'm just gonna buy a knuckle when I eventually have to deal with this.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Hopefully this isn't something for the "Stupid car questions" thread...

My 03 Forester (about 56k on the clock, 5 speed) has started making strange noises from the front suspension, but only in a specific temperature range.

If the outside temperature is between about 30 and 60 degrees, something in the front suspension makes a loud "chirp!" sound if I hit a sharp bump like a frost heave or pothole.

The ride quality is perfectly fine when the noise occurs, the springs and struts look fine from what I can see, and doing a "bounce test" on the front bumper doesn't produce the noise and doesn't indicate anything abnormal with the struts rebounding.

I've checked to see if there's anything loose under the hood, and that didn't turn up anything either.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

ZombiesAhead posted:

Drill it out from the ther side. If you're lucky it will spin out before you trash the threads or balljoint. Even if you do drill out the threads you can just put a bolt and nut through it.

In other news, today I had the wrx I was driving to the tuner put a smoke screen down the freeway for a few miles and light on fire. Stupid oil on the stupid header wrap. Luckily it went out on it's own while we were dcranbling to find a way to put it out.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 18, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

Drill it out from the ther side. If you're lucky it will spin out before you trash the threads or balljoint. Even if you do drill out the threads you can just put a bolt and nut through it.

Oh crap I didn't think of that. That's a great idea! You can access both sides so it would work fine aside from looking a little ghetto.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Posted it before...but...

...I love my car.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I suppose I can post here now. I'd been eyeballing the 2009+ WRX's for a while; and finally came across exactly what I was looking for.

2009 WRX Premium with Navigation
Dark grey
Absolutely babied and perfect condition with 16k on the clock. It's 110% perfect.

Quite happy with the find and what I paid for it. Annnd I'm loving it.

Cobb Stage 1 worth the $600? Dont really want to get too over-the-top with mods on this one for a while, but a flash is a-ok. :)

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 20, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Do not waste money on the AP.

Find a trusted tuner in your area, or have someone flash an XPT map on your car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
An Accessport already came with my car, but they never applied the flash from it for some reason (according to what they told me, which may be bullshit). Would it be worth applying the flash for free, or should I really seek out a good open source tuner?

Right now I haven't even hooked it up to see if the boost gauge works. It's one of the old style Accessports too, before they looked like a melted iPod.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
The stage 1 map only adds about 1 psi to the total boost, but it completely changes how the power comes on. Rather than waiting till high rpm to give you full boost, the car achieves full boost at around 3-3500 rpm. Made my '03 feel like a completely different car.

With no other mods (aside from a catless up pipe, it's a reliability mod!) my car *feels* incredibly fast. The WRX went from a reasonably quick car when you wring the tach towards 7k to a REALLY fast car from 3-7k. I can't wait to apply stage 2 once I get a TBE.

Here's another way to justify purchasing the AP v2. It will act as a gauge cluster for you. An Electronic gauge cluster. So say you want a boost gauge, you don't have to splice into your vacuum hoses to run another vacuum hose into your cabin (or to a sender, and then a wire into the cabin). It uses the cars built in sensors to tell you what's going on. If you don't want to just see boost, but you want to see what the turbo is doing to achieve the boost target, you can go to Turbo Dynamics and see what the car is trying to do (add boost, lose boost) at any give RPM/throttle position. Or it can show you your vehicle speed, intake temp, coolant temp, fuel economy, timing advance, barometric pressure, absolute pressure, etc etc etc etc etc. Don't just think of it as a "tuner" it is so much more than that. Mine was worth every penny (buy it used if you can).

I will however completely agree that if you want to get the absolute most out of your car go to a professional tuner, but if you don't mind spending the money 1 time to get slightly conservative maps, the AP is the way to go. And rather than paying a tuner to get you a stage 1 map, stage 2, whatever you can get the AP. Nnear me, EQ tuning, they charge $175 to flash your car with an off the shelf map for your mods, $250 to spend 1 hour max to slightly tune the flash to your car, and $400+ to spend 2-3 hours to fine tune the tune to your car. No doubt it will be a good tune after that, but what if you then change something, change exhaust, change turbo, change intercooler, change injectors, change up pipe, etc etc etc etc etc. Another $400+? Could have gotten the AP, gone with their stage flashes, and when you get your "final" mod, THEN go to the pro tuner to get it dialed in tight. If you feel like you need to.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 21, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hammer Floyd posted:

Posted it before...but...

...I love my car.

Where was that taken at?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a friend with a 2003 Subaru Outback, 4-cyl engine (I think) and 5-speed manual. His compressor has failed. I work for an A/C place and can get him a compressor through us but I need the Subaru part number for the compressor. The dealer needs the VIN first, which I don't have handy. If there is only one compressor for this year/engine (and I don't know that there is, maybe that's why the dealer needs the VIN?) can somebody get me the p/n?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cat Terrist posted:

Where was that taken at?

In the middle of Alaska, a small native town called Waggach'kpyangtong. It hadn't been visited since 1956 when the great british explorer...

...Nah, I'm bullshitting. South-East Melbourne Suburbs.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

CornHolio posted:

I have a friend with a 2003 Subaru Outback, 4-cyl engine (I think) and 5-speed manual. His compressor has failed. I work for an A/C place and can get him a compressor through us but I need the Subaru part number for the compressor. The dealer needs the VIN first, which I don't have handy. If there is only one compressor for this year/engine (and I don't know that there is, maybe that's why the dealer needs the VIN?) can somebody get me the p/n?

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partlistbymod.php?model=Outback&subcat=Air+Conditioning+Compressor&year=2003

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

azflyboy posted:

Hopefully this isn't something for the "Stupid car questions" thread...

My 03 Forester (about 56k on the clock, 5 speed) has started making strange noises from the front suspension, but only in a specific temperature range.

If the outside temperature is between about 30 and 60 degrees, something in the front suspension makes a loud "chirp!" sound if I hit a sharp bump like a frost heave or pothole.

The ride quality is perfectly fine when the noise occurs, the springs and struts look fine from what I can see, and doing a "bounce test" on the front bumper doesn't produce the noise and doesn't indicate anything abnormal with the struts rebounding.

I've checked to see if there's anything loose under the hood, and that didn't turn up anything either.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

End links/end link bushings? Front end bushings somewhere?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Thanks!

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Walked posted:

I suppose I can post here now. I'd been eyeballing the 2009+ WRX's for a while; and finally came across exactly what I was looking for.

2009 WRX Premium with Navigation
Dark grey
Absolutely babied and perfect condition with 16k on the clock. It's 110% perfect.

Quite happy with the find and what I paid for it. Annnd I'm loving it.

Cobb Stage 1 worth the $600? Dont really want to get too over-the-top with mods on this one for a while, but a flash is a-ok. :)

Nice car!

Find a AP used (they sell for 400 pretty regularly on any of the big forums), use the Cobb OTS (off the shelf) map, and then save some cash for a protune. Even the Cobb off the shelf map is fantastic though, as mentioned before, totally different car.

The great thing about the AP is that you can uninstall it easily prior to bringing in your car. The same can't be said for most other tunes - that alone makes it worth it in my opinion (nevermind the boost gauge, data logging, launch control, and so forth that come with the AP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks! Really good insight - sounds dead on for what I want.

Questions, though,have arisen. First subaru, so maybe it's normal, maybe not!

Gears 1-4 most notable, have a notable chatter/almost chirp between 2500-3500rpm. Easiest way to replicate is accellerate lightly throug that range in first/second, or to simple let off the gas totally while in that range in 3rd/4th.

Issue? Normal? It's kinda loud, thinkin I should have it looked at.