Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
snype tip: note who posted last before you click the last page to reply, make sure they're still the last post before you! a preview never hurts unless you're on slow rear end iphone internet or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lamont Cranston posted:

reminder that the notion of purging wikimedia of garbage like this had the entire "community" fuckin furious

my... my open source farts... :negative:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

LunixArchduke posted:

cc-by-nc-licensed farts will be the hip new thing

fartopedia

Jonny 290 posted:

a preview never hurts unless you're on slow rear end iphone internet or something

preview is for gays

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LunixArchduke posted:

general fart distribution license

farting wants to be free

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

"SkyOS posted:

There is also an experimental attempt to use NetBSD or Linux to solve the driver issues.

:negative:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
so essentially skyos got boiled down to an x and WM replacement

gj spending 10 years on this duder

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

Kirk posted:

so essentially skyos got boiled down to an x and WM replacement

gj spending 10 years on this duder

It also uses the BeOS file system which is supposed to be p. pro.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LinuxGirl87 posted:

:negative:

"SkyOS Involvement with free software posted:

Often, SkyOS is accused of violating the GPL. That is, since developing an operating system is thought to be an exceedingly complex task, the conclusion is drawn by some that Szeleney must have stolen code from free software in order for him to have made the progress that he has. In fact, the opposite is implied by Szeleney's public dealings with open source developers.[11] Even when not required under license, Szeleney has consistently published changes made to open source works used in SkyOS.[12]

He also writes the wikipedia entry.

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

RZApublican posted:

Often, SkyOS is accused of violating the GPL. That is, since developing an operating system is thought to be an exceedingly complex task, the conclusion is drawn by some that Szeleney must have stolen code from free software in order for him to have made the progress that he has. In fact, the opposite is implied by Szeleney's public dealings with open source developers.[11] Even when not required under license, Szeleney has consistently published changes made to open source works used in SkyOS.[12]

Doesn't this boil down to Loonixers saying "We suck at writing OSes, therefore you must have stolen from ours because you don't seem to suck so much"?

:confused:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

RZApublican posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Frt755_1.ogg

Description
My Fart

Date
2 August 2006(2006-08-02)

Source
Own work

Author
Horst Frank

Permission
(Reusing this file)
GFDL

the important part of farting is that it's available under a license that's free (as in freedom)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven_(practical_joke)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
That is
Treason
  Johnny

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
so i found a wiki page about everyone in this thread

quote:

His body was hot to the touch and he sweated heavily and constantly suffered from foul body odour;[11][13] he was described as "stinking to such a degree that he could not be endured at twenty paces".[13] This smell would get noticeably worse after he had eaten,[12][13] his eyes and cheeks would become bloodshot,[11] a visible vapour would rise from his body,[13] and he would become lethargic, during which time he would belch noisily and his jaws would make swallowing motions.[13] He suffered from chronic diarrhoea, which was said to be "fetid beyond all conception".

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

snype tip: note who posted last before you click the last page to reply, make sure they're still the last post before you! a preview never hurts unless you're on slow rear end iphone internet or something

just e-mailed this post to myself

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 5, 2023

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

No I will not fix your computer

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Footboy posted:

One of the worst things to come about from Wikipedia's push for strictly creative-commons content is the choice of what images to use on a celebrity's page. It's not as bad as it used to be now that iPhones can take photos comparable to digital cameras, but you still get poo poo like this.

As an example, here's an image from comedian Jim Breuer's Facebook page. It's a nice press photo taken last year. However, it's totally not a creative-commons image! There's no Wikipedian who can upload that image and go "I, SonOfHugeFarts, hereby release this image into the public domain~."

So, instead, Wikipedia's representative image of Jim Breuer is this piece of poo poo someone pulled off of flickr and cropped:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Breuer

wouldn't using a non-creative-commons photo (like this press photo) on wikipedia be covered under fair use?

they do poo poo like that all the time provided it's for strictly non-commercial use

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY

RZApublican posted:

wouldn't using a non-creative-commons photo (like this press photo) on wikipedia be covered under fair use?

they do poo poo like that all the time provided it's for strictly non-commercial use

yes, but wikipedia editors are a bunch of sperglords and don't want to even think about having to talk to someone to get approval to use an image

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wikipedia is apparently commercial

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
what would be the point of printing wikipedia :psyduck:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

RZApublican posted:

They won't allow a "free use" image unless there is zero possibility whatsoever that a CC/whatever image can exist. also encourages exhibitionist dick shots instead of actual medical diagrams

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY

Lamont Cranston posted:

They won't allow a "free use" image unless there is zero possibility whatsoever that a CC/whatever image can exist. also encourages exhibitionist dick shots instead of actual medical diagrams

and lithographs from like the 1890 edition of gray's anatomy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i like reading wikiarguments its like watching a really :spergin: dog jump through hoops he made himself

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

iamthejeff posted:

what would be the point of printing wikipedia :psyduck:

because they think getting it printed would give it an air of legitimacy and justify the hours spent painstakingly compiling all the cock photos and intricately cross-referenced anime trivia. also i think there was some plan to sell it to subsidise giving free copies to schools in the developing world - because what remote underfunded african schools need isn't basic equipment or facilities, it's an encyclopaedia that lists the life-cycle, diet, and habitat of every single species of pokemon.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Sweevo posted:

what remote underfunded african schools need isn't basic equipment or facilities, it's an encyclopaedia that lists the life-cycle, diet, and habitat of every single species of pokemon.

this is true though how can they expect to compete in the 2022 olympics without this knowledge

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
how many bound volumes would it take to print all of wikipedia

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
lmao http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book:Buzz_Lightyear

PICTURE NEEDED

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Quoted from there "In general, all colleges and universities are notable and should be included on Wikipedia.". This is like me saying all prisoners are notable in general. Why? Every article, person, college, university should be able to satisfy the notability guidelines on its own. To say that "They are notable by default" is wrong. --Demetrioscz (talk) 23:11, 12 June 2010 (UTC)

i can see not adding some stupid anime poo poo to wikipedia in the first place

but why would you actively remove valid information

Kirk fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 17, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the lamest edit wars page is the best thing wikipedia ever produced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_edit_wars

Talk:Lolicon

Edit war over whether the template at the top, announcing that the article was speedy kept after an Articles for Deletion debate lasting less than an hour, should include the word "ZOOOOOOOM" to exemplify the speediness of the process. It was kept in until finally being supplanted by a note in the archive box template.

also:

Lolicon has been listed as one of the Arts good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can delist it, or ask for a reassessment.
Article milestones
Date Process Result
January 14, 2006 Articles for deletion Speedily kept
December 13, 2007 Good article nominee Listed
Current Status: Good article

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
This page contains material which is kept because it is considered humorous.

god drat

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Kirk posted:

Quoted from there "In general, all colleges and universities are notable and should be included on Wikipedia.". This is like me saying all prisoners are notable in general. Why? Every article, person, college, university should be able to satisfy the notability guidelines on its own. To say that "They are notable by default" is wrong. --Demetrioscz (talk) 23:11, 12 June 2010 (UTC)

i can see not adding some stupid anime human being poo poo to wikipedia in the first place

but why would you actively remove valid information

yeah i hear a lot of teens these days are studying their rear end off just for the chance to one day attend an interview with a prestigious prisoner

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence

quote:

Nerve endings in the rectum usually enable individuals to distinguish between flatus and feces, [4] although loose stool can confuse the individual, occasionally resulting in accidental defecation.

good job goons

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

voudrais-tu une banane, mon amie?

Footboy posted:

Spike Spiegel (スパイク・スピーゲル Supaiku Supīgeru?)(Spiegel is German for mirror) is the protagonist of the anime and manga series Cowboy Bebop. He won first place in the male character category of the Anime Grand Prix in 1998[1] and 1999[2].

Contents
1 Character outline and personality
2 History
3 Conception
4 Reception
5 References

um cowboy bebop owns shut yo mouth fool

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the Anime Grand Prix... yes this information belongs in the short blurb

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY

RZApublican posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:User_Asperger/Archive_1

this lame edit wars page is loving amazing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RZApublican posted:

this is the best page on the internet

quote:

is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula for illustrative purposes on a page discussing the fear of spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

clockwork sundial posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence

quote:

Nerve endings in the rectum usually enable individuals to distinguish between flatus and feces, [4] although loose stool can confuse the individual, occasionally resulting in accidental defecation.

good job goons

incontinence can also be a symptom of autism