Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
"Oh, that's your Space Wolf army? Looks good. Yeah, really. Cool army bro. Looks kick rear end, you really got that massed feel from taking so many squads. What I'm working on? Nothing much really, this is just sort of the vanguard of my army. Just 500 or so painted this far, so it's not even enough for a single clan yet."

I added some spear and archer ashigaru, but painted them as Hosokawa and Tokugawa to get some other nice colours in there. I kind of like these colour schemes better than the ones I used for my 28mm stuff, might have to re-visit those.

Tokugawa, so the Takeda can fight someone

Hosokawa, so that the Takeda can do some badly timed flanking manouvers at Kawanakajima

I also started on a more ambitious camp:

First assembled plane, a Morane-Saulnier A1 1917, which was relatively simple to put together since it's a biplane. The struts are all bent out of shape though:

The AEG G IV bomber. Impossible to assemble. This is as far as I got before I was too mad to continue. I plan to buy some brass rod and make new struts because the metal ones don't fit at all and bend far too easily. Worst kit I've seen in my life, I'd rather do riggings on a whole armada of 1:1200 ships. I bet it will look impressive once done, though, it's much larger than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
Urgh, why am I so OCD about basing... I can't figure out any way to base my models (in the post. thanks guys :argh:) in a way that would 1) allow all the Black Powder formations, including the deployment of skirmishers and 2) let me put the command group in the centre. Aesthetically having the flag and officer centrally positioned is pretty important to me for some reason I myself can't understand. I know the formation rules are not meant to be hard and fast but for some reason when it comes to Naps the idea of having my units in clean and geometrically perfect formation really causes me to sperg out, maybe it's because of the whole theme of the period. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lilljonas posted:

Word of warning: a friend at the club did what you did, and painted the bases first and then attached the ships. turns out that there's a risk for the ship to slightly soar above the waves, as the flat ship doesn't make a perfect connection to the wavy bases. So be careful about that.

In other news I'm making the biggest DBA camp ever right now. I'll take pictures when my girlfriend goes to work so she won't make fun of my nerdy hobby. :ssh:

They're pretty flat in the middle, despite what it looks like in the picture.

And I always test fit before gluing. :)

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
18th Dragoons, they are pretty in their frilly pink uniforms.
Just need to paint pen on the unit number and touch up the black around the bases.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Those look great.

I love Perry.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The dragoons look great, do they come with a command group too?

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
drat those dragoons look awesome, it's great to see historical minis painted up to the standard ususally reserved for GW models :)

lilljonas: That looks both awesome and terrifying, I can't imagine the amount of skill it takes to paint 6mm to look that good. How much time do you spend on a stand?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Nicely done. My 2nd unit of Dragoons will be the 18th too just so I can use my Foundry pink paints.

They paint up so well.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Guildenstern posted:

drat those dragoons look awesome, it's great to see historical minis painted up to the standard ususally reserved for GW models :)

lilljonas: That looks both awesome and terrifying, I can't imagine the amount of skill it takes to paint 6mm to look that good. How much time do you spend on a stand?

As I always say, and not to besmirch lilljonas' excellent effort, 6mm is the easiest scale to paint by far.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

The dragoons look great, do they come with a command group too?

Yep, as well as some casualty figures and 8 dismounted Dragoons too.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Serotonin posted:

As I always say, and not to besmirch lilljonas' excellent effort, 6mm is the easiest scale to paint by far.

After you paint different scales, you realize the smaller you go the easier it gets :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Not that I need another loving game, but is Warhammer Historical's The Old West any good?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh god yes. It's the best 28mm game GW's released, it's basically LoTR with Mordheim's campaign rules.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Silhouette posted:

Oh god yes. It's the best 28mm game GW's released, it's basically LoTR with Mordheim's campaign rules.

Gorkamorka would like to have words with you :colbert:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

Not that I need another loving game, but is Warhammer Historical's The Old West any good?

Very good

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I really like the dragoons and hussars and am going to get some, sadly no one plays historicals around here so they may stand in for other games, but what I want to know is how are the plastic infantry kits from perry? they look ok in the pics on the site but they are not very closeup so I can't really tell.

Also would you suggest maybe the vitrix infantry kits instead, they look abit more dynamic (for infantry anyway) but have the same issue, the pics are small and hard to see.

I love the look from a distance, but want to paint them and show them off more than play with them, so the model quality is more the concern here.

* I do own a full Choson army from perry as well :P but some of the detail on them is a bit rounded off, got me wondering about the plastics.

Edit: french nap infantry kits, sorry should have specified

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Oh, I agree. I mean, I spend far more time on my 6mm than most people do, and then I only paint either a single flat layer of paint over a black or one layer with an additional, very strong, highlight. All in all about 8-10 layers for the entire model depending on colour scheme. Most people just drybrush them and call it done. The difficulty is not the actually skill required, it's keeping your sanity after painting a thousand hands in a row. Painting really good 6mm stuff is still a bit tricky and require some skill, but not as much as painting really good 28mm stuff. Also you can get away with far more at such a small scale and still have it look decent.

As for the time for each stand... well, I buy them in packs of 96 infantry. I paint about 10 layers, with each layer taking about 30 minutes in average, dependingof course on if it is a spearpoint or a banner. So I would guess about 6 hours or so of not so intense painting, which is very slow compared to what most 6mm seem to spend on their miniatures. Initially I based them 16 on each base, which means 6 bases for each pack, but now I tried basing them only 12 on each base for 8 bases and it actually look sort of the same. Archers are based even more loosely with 8 on each base for 12 bases per pack.

Even painting 96 miniatures in one batch is slow for 6mm, if you want an actual army it would be wiser to paint several hundred at a time. My painting is even slower since I divide my guys up in different clans with completely different colour schemes which means twice as many layers. If I did something liek a Napoleonic army I could just churn those identical suckers out like a machine.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
The Dragoons come with a command sprue. One box makes just under two units in Lasalle (8 figures each)as well as having some dismounted dragoons which are great for a skirmish game.

Victrix vs Perry: Tough decision. I like the perry figures better because they paint up well without too much effort. The detail pops out. However the poses offered on the Victrix kits are great but they plastic is brittle and I have had to replace snapped muskets on a lot of my figures. They also take a lot of assembling with the arms on the sprues placed oddly so you need to consult the instructions to work out which arm matches which other arm.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We'll rant and we'll roar
Like true British sailors....

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

LintMan posted:

The Dragoons come with a command sprue. One box makes just under two units in Lasalle (8 figures each)as well as having some dismounted dragoons which are great for a skirmish game.

Victrix vs Perry: Tough decision. I like the perry figures better because they paint up well without too much effort. The detail pops out. However the poses offered on the Victrix kits are great but they plastic is brittle and I have had to replace snapped muskets on a lot of my figures. They also take a lot of assembling with the arms on the sprues placed oddly so you need to consult the instructions to work out which arm matches which other arm.

I use both Perry and Victrix.

Victrix are more dynamic but that has its draw backs- harder to put together and also they dont rank up very well. You end up with units of men with some in march position and others looking they are about to fire, which for large Napoleonics units doesnt look right to me. The Victrix are good for skirmish games though.

Saying that the later Victrix kits like the French Imperial Guard have tjane a leaf out of the Perry book and are more uniform in poses, its more the earlier British kits that have the wider variety of poses.

Both look good however, but Im going to probably stick with Perry in the future.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I've got a box of Perry British infantry, what kind of basing do you recommend? I'm not really planning to get started with Lasalle or Black Powder any time soon, but you never know. They come with these funky green bases, should I just go with them or are there better ways to base them?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I've got a box of Perry British infantry, what kind of basing do you recommend? I'm not really planning to get started with Lasalle or Black Powder any time soon, but you never know. They come with these funky green bases, should I just go with them or are there better ways to base them?

Those bases are quite nice, and they suggets basing 6 figures to one of them. I think thats too crowded for my liking and have bought a load of 40mm bases which I will stick 4 on.
Im not overly sure about Lasalle, but basing is sort of irrelevant for BP.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here's few shots of mine on the supplied green bases that they came with if its any help to you. They are fairly close together I suppose but I think they look good when ranked up as a unit in line.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Those look amazing!

By the way, doctrine of the day was to practically touch, shoulder-to-shoulder, so they really should be that close.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cool, I'm considering painting them up as tramp peninsular troops as well. :3:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

Cool, I'm considering painting them up as tramp peninsular troops as well. :3:

Ha ha, I prefer the word "Veteran"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's one of the best things the "Sharpe's" series gets right.

(As opposed to the French using Brown Besses all the time, which is so very, very wrong).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

OK I think you have persuaded me. I think Im going to go with 6 to a base- they do look really rather good.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Serotonin posted:

OK I think you have persuaded me. I think Im going to go with 6 to a base- they do look really rather good.

I paint mine on nail heads on the following set up, then glue them to the base, pumice round them up to the level of the plastic bases on each man, paint it up and drybrush it then do foliage etc.

One work of advice though is to check and then check again how they are going to line up next to each other. Not just the ones on the base but you have to remember that they are going to be pushed up right next to the man on each base to the left and right of them. Its quite easy to have them poking each other in the head with their bayonets.

big_g fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 20, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Decided to take some time while the baby and wife were napping to do some deck work:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

They look gorgeous, is it just a wash over the white?

Can you keep us up to date step by step as I may be forced to get some of these at some point.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

big_g posted:

They look gorgeous, is it just a wash over the white?

No, I used Reaper's ivory (closest to a bleached bone I have on hand) as a basecoat before the wash. I may drybrush a coat of ivory over it because the wash looks a bit dark now that it's drying.

quote:

Can you keep us up to date step by step as I may be forced to get some of these at some point.

That's what I'm trying to do. :)

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

big_g posted:

Here's few shots of mine on the supplied green bases that they came with if its any help to you. They are fairly close together I suppose but I think they look good when ranked up as a unit in line.

Wow, those are great! Do you mind me asking what paints you used?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Lobster God posted:

Wow, those are great! Do you mind me asking what paints you used?

I use Vallejo Model Colours and Gamesworkshop paints. Mostly GW on these I think. Any parts in particular you are interested in?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

big_g posted:

I use Vallejo Model Colours and Gamesworkshop paints. Mostly GW on these I think. Any parts in particular you are interested in?

The red for the jackets and the trouser colours would be great. I'm moving from 40k to historicals, so any advice would be appreciated!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I said heck with it, going to get a box of victrix and a box or perry and see what I like best, they seem comparable in size so I should be able to mix em up for variety.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mr.Booger posted:

I said heck with it, going to get a box of victrix and a box or perry and see what I like best, they seem comparable in size so I should be able to mix em up for variety.

They are pretty much identical in sizes. If I remeber the backpacks are slightyl different sizes on the Brits, but nothing you would notice too much.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Mr.Booger posted:

gently caress it. Why not its not like they are expensive.

Lobster God posted:

The red for the jackets and the trouser colours would be great. I'm moving from 40k to historicals, so any advice would be appreciated!

For the jackets its GW foundation red, washed with black, foundation red as a highlight then Blood Red as a final highlight.

The White is Astronomicon Grey washed black, highlighted with Astronomicon Grey then highlighted with white.

For the different coloured pants do the above but replace the original colour with whatever foundation brown/grey or Random VMC you have lying around. Easy!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Alternately, just buy this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

If he's moving from 40K as he says its a bit pointless to be splashing out as he probably has all the colours he needs. As long as you can paint red, white, brown and flesh you have pretty much all you need.