Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nail Rat posted:

Just a reminder that this game turns ten years old next Tuesday. Whatever you do that day, just ask yourself: what would JC do.

More importantly, what would JC Tenton do?

(the answer is eat a whole cake by himself) :ssh: :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Nail Rat posted:

Just a reminder that this game turns ten years old next Tuesday. Whatever you do that day, just ask yourself: what would JC do.
Here's what I'm gonna do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KozAS9CEUb4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nail Rat posted:

Light some motherfuckers up. :flame:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

fleshweasel posted:

I would try restarting the game
Really? I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks!

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Nope didn't work.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Ah... no. TNM has some really bad maps for Deus Ex style play that usually offer two approaches at best.

Most of the levels in Deus Ex have two approaches... maaaybe three.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

stratdax posted:

Most of the levels in Deus Ex have two approaches... maaaybe three.
There's always 3 approaches at least - combat, stealth, vents. Thatdoesn't count social interactions, augmented jumps, crate stacking (TNM has next to no crates! A travesty, I tell you!)

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So I'm replaying this for the first time in probably 9 years and I've just arrived at the 'Ton for the first time. I just cleared out the terrorists (losing only the dude hostage) then found Paul's Blackjack on his coffee table for only using non-lethal up to this point but seeing as how I lost the one hostage I reloaded. Problem is now no matter what I do I can't seem to spawn the Blackjack back. Is this a common glitch?

Are you using Biomod? I've found that the Auto Save messes up some Shifter things, like the Office inventory.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Xander77 posted:

There's always 3 approaches at least - combat, stealth, vents. Thatdoesn't count social interactions, augmented jumps, crate stacking (TNM has next to no crates! A travesty, I tell you!)

Vents are stealth. And you can't socially interact with MJ12 troopers.
Unless you mean "Stealth" as "using the cloaking Aug", but that isn't an approach, that's just using an Aug.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Jegan posted:

Are you using Biomod? I've found that the Auto Save messes up some Shifter things, like the Office inventory.
I'm playing with Biomod but nothing else beyond the .exe fixer which makes it playable. I just went back to the autosave at the front of the 'Ton and just walked in through Paul's window which seems to have fixed it though.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Denton sometimes has trouble appreciating the subtle nuances of jokes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHgGTVL2es

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm going to replay this, as i shamelessly have never gotten past the first half hour or so of the game for some reason. Although i have fond memories of pepper spraying the lady in the bathroom and somehow turning everyone on her, made all the more hilarious as she was invincible.

Loaded it up on Steam, got the DX10 renderer and New Vision mod. Let's do this!

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 19, 2010

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I'm amazed that after reinstalling this, it seems to work perfectly with Win7. I thought I'd have loads of trouble with it given it's age, but it seems fine. Am I likely to run into any problems further down the line? I'd rather spend the time getting it sorted now than having to restart.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

stratdax posted:

Vents are stealth. And you can't socially interact with MJ12 troopers.
Unless you mean "Stealth" as "using the cloaking Aug", but that isn't an approach, that's just using an Aug.
1. I specifically listed Augs as an approach.

2. Nope, I meant stealthing through something besides the vents. You can do it with nearly every part of DE, but not TNM.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What do you guys think, I'm gonna do another playthrough of Deus Ex and I realized I never tried "Realistic" mode. How exactly does that affect the gameplay, and what are y'alls thoughts/gut-feelings on it?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

What do you guys think, I'm gonna do another playthrough of Deus Ex and I realized I never tried "Realistic" mode. How exactly does that affect the gameplay, and what are y'alls thoughts/gut-feelings on it?

You die when people shoot you in the head and so do enemies.
Changes the way you think about health/health items drastically.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Word, I guess I'll play Deus Ex: GOTD (game of the decade) edition with my fancy new renderer and mods on realistic.

Girl's gotta head full a marbles, I gotta yell..

Sunny Sixkiller
Mar 29, 2003

Some things are better left top secret.
So my hard drive crashed and I've been running my computer on Ubutnu because I'm too cheap to spring for Windows 7, which has put a serious cramp in my PC gaming. Imagine my delight when I discovered that Deus Ex is one of the few games that runs ALMOST PERFECTLY on Wine in Linux. It's the game that keeps on giving :allears:

That said, I'm going through this game again on a no-kill/realistic run, and I have one question: are tranq darts EVER useful? I've dumped every mod I can into my mini crossbow and it still takes like 5 shots and 10 seconds to drop even low level guards, by which point they're blasting away at me and they've alerted everyone in the area :( Oh, for a ranged non-lethal weapon that was any good :(

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

dogydemoc posted:

I'm amazed that after reinstalling this, it seems to work perfectly with Win7. I thought I'd have loads of trouble with it given it's age, but it seems fine. Am I likely to run into any problems further down the line? I'd rather spend the time getting it sorted now than having to restart.
I was afraid of this, too, but so far it's worked just fine.

Supernorn posted:

Although i have fond memories of pepper spraying the lady in the bathroom and somehow turning everyone on her, made all the more hilarious as she was invincible.
You know, I just cannot get this shenanigan to work. I think it must be something they patched out, because any time I ever get ANYBODY angry at me at UNATCO, even a vacuum bot, anybody they encounter will also get angry at me, no matter how out of sight I try to start it. Any time friendlies see another friendly fire at me, they assume it's for a good reason and turn on me as well.

VVVVV Because as much as I love the game, I'm not terribly good at it. CRYSIS, however, is a different matter, but also a different thread.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't understand how anyone could play Deus Ex on anything other than Realistic. It's clearly the way it was meant to be played.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric

Fnoigy posted:

I was afraid of this, too, but so far it's worked just fine.

Awesome, going to finish off Liberty Island tonight.

There was a write-up in the DX3 thread from PC Gamer where the writer went through Liberty Island, sort of as an introduction to people who'd never played it. One thing he pointed out was that compared to modern games, the field of vision of your enemies is very narrow and short. Even getting about 5 minutes into Liberty Island there was a few times when I was convinced I'd been spotted, only for them to walk straight past!

EDIT: I've never played on realistic, is it considerably harder than Normal? I'd heard people say it's easier than Hard because of the fact you do more damage to enemies, is this so?

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Sunny Sixkiller posted:

That said, I'm going through this game again on a no-kill/realistic run, and I have one question: are tranq darts EVER useful? I've dumped every mod I can into my mini crossbow and it still takes like 5 shots and 10 seconds to drop even low level guards, by which point they're blasting away at me and they've alerted everyone in the area :( Oh, for a ranged non-lethal weapon that was any good :(

You can peg them with one and let it do its work (by running away), no need to keep shooting at them

So to answer the question more directly: not consistently

Mystic Cave zOWNd fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 19, 2010

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Ansob. posted:

I don't understand how anyone could play Deus Ex on anything other than Realistic. It's clearly the way it was meant to be played.

I had never played DX1 on realistic mode because as far as I recall most games with that kind of difficulty make the game not 'realistic' but basically insanely hard. However, playing it on Realistic for the first time feels... correct. It's honestly the best way to play it from all the times I've gone through it. It's made me consider how I go after a group of guys more than usual. (Which unfortunately has resulted in multiple groups of NSF getting hit by GEP rockets; I am uncreative :( )

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Supernorn posted:

I'm going to replay this, as i shamelessly have never gotten past the first half hour or so of the game for some reason. Although i have fond memories of pepper spraying the lady in the bathroom and somehow turning everyone on her, made all the more hilarious as she was invincible.

Loaded it up on Steam, got the DX10 renderer and New Vision mod. Let's do this!
How do you turn everyone against her and what's New Vision?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

stratdax posted:

And you can't socially interact with MJ12 troopers.

They can only talk with their bullets/rockets. They're really just telling you how cool they think you are.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Benagain posted:

They can only talk with their bullets/rockets. They're really just telling you how cool they think you are.

Oh my god, this means you could talk to the monsters after all!

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I can't seem to find the Unrealistic option on Deus Ex. I'm running Shifter v1.8.3. Do I need to update or something?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
right-click the realistic setting

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Wow, I feel dumb. Thanks a bunch.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sunny Sixkiller posted:

Like Mystic Cave said, you're not going to be able to just knock people out instantly from afar; that's a big part of the challenge of the no-kills run. The way tranq darts work is that they do a small amount of initial damage and then do some damage over time. Hitting them in the head is going to knock them out slightly quicker, but they still might have time to shout, so the crossbow's best for isolated targets.

If you need to take out grouped enemies your best bet is to gas them (either with a grenade or with a pepper spray gun) and then quickly knock them out with a stun prod or a baton. Alternately, cause a distraction (shooting the wall with the crossbow is fantastic for this) and them quietly stun prod them all.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better
On No Kills Realistic I mostly used the Tranq darts when I had the safety of an air shaft. Not so good on MIB/Commandos but as long as you peg a normal human with it they will go down. Also good as a lead-off shot for a gas grenade trap.

Also for you other first-time non lethal gangstas, Try and hang onto at least one lethal power weapon. I'm not too proud to admit that I was forced to do the undersea base with the stock assault rifle and no skills. Dumpin mags into Greasels like it ain't no thang

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Squirl posted:

On No Kills Realistic I mostly used the Tranq darts when I had the safety of an air shaft. Not so good on MIB/Commandos but as long as you peg a normal human with it they will go down. Also good as a lead-off shot for a gas grenade trap.

Also for you other first-time non lethal gangstas, Try and hang onto at least one lethal power weapon. I'm not too proud to admit that I was forced to do the undersea base with the stock assault rifle and no skills. Dumpin mags into Greasels like it ain't no thang

Real gangstas only call it no kills when they don't kill any greasels or karkians or grays. And if you wanna be truly ballin' then you can't kill any other animals either. Step on a rat or catch a pigeon in a LAW blast? You failed, bro.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

orange lime posted:

Real gangstas only call it no kills when they don't kill any greasels or karkians or grays. And if you wanna be truly ballin' then you can't kill any other animals either. Step on a rat or catch a pigeon in a LAW blast? You failed, bro.

But how would you get vengeance for all those irradiated French cats that got eaten :(

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Squirl posted:

But how would you get vengeance for all those irradiated French cats that got eaten :(
That's a good question, because usually I do that by stomping on the survivors. The lady seems to find this acceptable.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!
ugh, cannot stop myself from getting this out again...

Playing as JC Dickwad and finding out how many people I can get away with killing, and what everyone's reactions are.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

ThreeHams posted:

ugh, cannot stop myself from getting this out again...

Playing as JC Dickwad and finding out how many people I can get away with killing, and what everyone's reactions are.

it'd be worth looking at a list of characters that have invincibility tags on them in each particular chapter, so that you don't have to trial and error it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Nail Rat posted:

I replay Deus Ex too often anyway, so instead:

(There is no good JC face in Daggerfall)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jetsetlemming posted:

I replay Deus Ex too often anyway, so instead:

(There is no good JC face in Daggerfall)

How can you give him a 45 in Perception? JC's vision is augmented. :colbert:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

orange lime posted:

Augmented doesn't necessarily mean improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

orange lime posted:

PER stands for "Personality".