Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

HiddenReplaced posted:

Aren't you a black guy at T14?
He's at Texas. And I don't think race is as big a factor in hiring as it is with admissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elotana posted:

He's at Texas. And I don't think race is as big a factor in hiring as it is with admissions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqPqTfGxZbM

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Mookie posted:

The only thing less sociable and weirder than a transactional attorney is a tax attorney. This is fact, not opinion.

Dude, you're a liquid-dieting biglaw associate whose only regret is that it's impossible to bill 25 hours in a day. Who are you calling unsociable and weird?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

So you're saying I have to cripple myself....

*grab sledgehammer*

But yeah I'm at Texas. And I heard the same, that URM status doesn't work the same way for recruiting as it does for admissions.

Didn't someone post here that their friend at UMich was URM and on LR and still struck out at OCI last year/year before?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elotana posted:

Yes it is.
If you're a URM at a T1 (hell, maybe T2 and into T3) who isn't failing and you just finished your 1L year, I can get you a paid 2L summer position at a good law firm that will turn into a job (around $100k) after your graduate if you don't gently caress up.
No, I am not kidding.
Seriously, PM me if you fit these characteristics and will move to California (or Nevada, but you don't want to move to Nevada)

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

nm posted:

Yes it is.
If you're a URM at a T1 (hell, maybe T2 and into T3) who isn't failing and you just finished your 1L year, I can get you a paid 2L summer position at a good law firm that will turn into a job (around $100k) after your graduate if you don't gently caress up.
No, I am not kidding.
Seriously, PM me if you fit these characteristics and will move to California (or Nevada, but you don't want to move to Nevada)

Woah woah woah.

I'd love California.

I don't have PM, but

bobbypuleojr AT gmail DOT com

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MaximumBob posted:

it's impossible to bill 25 hours in a day

technically it's not impossible

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

nm posted:

Yes it is.
No, I am not kidding.

Just checking, but Asian males still don't count as URMs, do they?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

i81icu812 posted:

Not in California.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

Dude, you're a liquid-dieting biglaw associate whose only regret is that it's impossible to bill 25 hours in a day. Who are you calling unsociable and weird?

He's employed in biglaw. He can be as unsociable and weird as he wants, but will always remain on a pedestal.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mookie posted:

On a positive note, the lateral biglaw market is starting to pick up. For the first time in a while, I've started getting a bunch of headhunters calling to try and sell a new job on me.

Unfortunately for a lot of people, I've heard that all of these are only for people who currently have full-time associate positions. In other words, unemployed need not apply.

In short: Don't go. No jobs. Die alone.

Fun fact: I was chatting with a hiring partner at a very well regarded but lower-big sized firm about hiring out of clerkships, and she laughed at me. I was only talking to her because it was a party that the firm sponsored and my roommate got a +1 guest invitation, but I stared incredulously at her in response. "But what about State Supreme Court clerks and Fed'l Appellate Clerks? They don't have a chance?" Laughter. loving laughter. If you think the unemployed have a chance, you're so incredibly naive.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 19, 2010

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Xane posted:

I want to do litigation for transactional or tax cases. What does that make me?

A litigator.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

BigHead posted:

Fun fact: I was chatting with a hiring partner at a very well regarded but lower-big sized firm about hiring out of clerkships, and she laughed at me. I was only talking to her because it was a party that the firm sponsored and my roommate got a +1 guest invitation, but I stared incredulously at her in response. "But what about State Supreme Court clerks and Fed'l Appellate Clerks? They don't have a chance?" Laughter. loving laughter. If you think the unemployed have a chance, you're so incredibly naive.

Good. Those are our jobs. You had your chance.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

KimchiHead posted:

Sure I'll get on it, but I'm going out soon. It's Friday, and I'm not in law school yet, so I'll not be reading cases when I could be mackin some hos.

I'll take a look at them tomorrow.

KimchiHead, I'm going to make this a very, very easy decision for you by asking one simple question: Do you want to spend the rest of your life being as bitter as the rest of the people in this thread? And that doesn't just mean your working years, but all of them, until you loving die. Because if you think they're "getting pretty worked up" over a discussion about going to law school, try being a law student or, god forbid, a lawyer, and getting even more worked up over absolutely everything. Even poo poo you disagree with. gently caress, especially poo poo you disagree with.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

IrritationX posted:

KimchiHead, I'm going to make this a very, very easy decision for you by asking one simple question: Do you want to spend the rest of your life being as bitter as the rest of the people in this thread? And that doesn't just mean your working years, but all of them, until you loving die. Because if you think they're "getting pretty worked up" over a discussion about going to law school, try being a law student or, god forbid, a lawyer, and getting even more worked up over absolutely everything. Even poo poo you disagree with. gently caress, especially poo poo you disagree with.

He ain't kidding about the self-hate. I'm at the gym 10 hours a week throwing punches to relieve stress. I've got a hole the size of a nickel in the bottom of my foot and some torn cartilage in my knee and I can't stop going because I have to let out the hate. The only people who are dumb enough to work with me are stock brokers and other lawyers because they hate themselves just as much as I do.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Counterpoint: I love myself and my coworkers - the work is intellectually stimulating and fun if a little boring.

Then again, I'm in the government.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JudicialRestraints posted:

Counterpoint: I love myself and my coworkers - the work is intellectually stimulating and fun if a little boring.

Haven't you only been at it a few weeks?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Counterpoint: also in the government. Love coworkers and work is generally stimulating and fun. However also spent most of this week doing attorneys' jobs for them because they couldn't be bothered to write a decent SD motion or comply with the court rules.

Rage level: Sith marauder.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Alaemon posted:

Counterpoint: also in the government. Love coworkers and work is generally stimulating and fun. However also spent most of this week doing attorneys' jobs for them because they couldn't be bothered to write a decent SD motion or comply with the court rules.

Rage level: Sith marauder.
Serious question: are you the only Cooley graduate from your year with a job right now? You must be pretty close, right? Congratulations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

A litigator.
The best kind of lawyering.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

i81icu812 posted:

Not for admissions, but they do count as minorities for law firms. You can definitely apply for firm diversity programs and scholarships and things because you're Asian (works for females of any race too even though they're not a URM for law school admissions). Some applications will let you apply if you just have a "diverse lifestyle or viewpoint" though they'll probably choose a real minority over you to win the position.

Mookie posted:

Unfortunately for a lot of people, I've heard that all of these are only for people who currently have full-time associate positions. In other words, unemployed need not apply.

I really do wonder how I'm ever going to get a job again, anywhere.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

HooKars posted:

I really do wonder how I'm ever going to get a job again, anywhere.

¿Accidentes? ¡Se habla Español!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mookie posted:

¿Accidentes? ¡Se habla Español!

No joke. TV lawyers will refer you their cases if they get a 40% cut.

But man, those cases SUCK.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

No joke. TV lawyers will refer you their cases if they get a 40% cut.
Those aren't real lawyers.

e: and Hookars is better than them.

e2: A few years ago one of the local tv lawyers was sued by his client because his client didn't think his lawyer was trying to get the most money for his client and instead was simply operating a revolving door business where defense lawyers knew he would settle a case at a lower acceptable rate than normal just to speed up the process. Go figure, right? At any rate, in the deposition of this tv lawyer, he admitted to having gone to trial only once and having never taken the deposition of any witness in his 20+ years of practice. gently caress tv lawyers. e3: and he's still raking in business.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 19, 2010

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Adar posted:

Serious question: are you the only Cooley graduate from your year with a job right now? You must be pretty close, right? Congratulations.

Couldn't tell you. Didn't have much contact with my classmates before graduation, same holds true now.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
^^^ At any rate, you're the only Cooley grad with a good avatar.

Green Crayons posted:

Those aren't real lawyers.

e: and Hookars is better than them.

e2: A few years ago one of the local tv lawyers was sued by his client because his client didn't think his lawyer was trying to get the most money for his client and instead was simply operating a revolving door business where defense lawyers knew he would settle a case at a lower acceptable rate than normal just to speed up the process. Go figure, right? At any rate, in the deposition of this tv lawyer, he admitted to having gone to trial only once and having never taken the deposition of any witness in his 20+ years of practice. gently caress tv lawyers. e3: and he's still raking in business.

the hammer shapiro?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Wikipedia'd Shapiro and loled. I wasn't referring to him, so either I've heard a fictional localized version of Shapiro with inserted local attorney names or that's just par for the course for the actions of a large number of tv attorneys.

I'd put my money on the latter.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Last semester at law school I had class 3 days a week and my earliest class was 1:40pm. Let me tell you, getting up at 7am to go to work 5 days a week takes some getting used to. I decided to take a nap when I got home at like 6pm on Friday and didn't leave bed for 14 hours

being a lawyer isn't that bad actually, but working a real job sucks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sounds awful

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
yeah being a real adult blows, I should have stayed nine. Legos were awesome

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nero posted:

yeah being a real adult blows, I should have stayed nine. Legos were awesome

I wish there was a way to combine the lack of responsibility of being a nine-year old with the ability to buy booze of being a 21+ year old. I'd sail off on that boat

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish there was a way to combine the lack of responsibility of being a nine-year old with the ability to buy booze of being a 21+ year old. I'd sail off on that boat

Get filthy rich.

Oh, you went to law school.

Sorry. Can't help.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's called sponging off your parents until "the economy picks up" (forever).

It seems to be working out rather well for some of my less motivated friends from college.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

nm posted:

Yes it is.
No, I am not kidding.
goddamn, i guess i stand corrected

toy
Apr 19, 2001
i'm going to run my little situation by you all

i have a 170 / 4.0. good enough for a full scholarship from lewis & clark in portland, or, which is where i currently live & want to continue living. i'm interested in environmental issues (i spend much of my time as an env. activist). L & C appeals to me not only because it's here in portland, but also because they strive for a less competitive/cutthroat atmosphere, have an environmental advocacy center on campus that does good work, and is consistently rated as one of the top "environmental law" schools, for whatever that's worth. they also offer some sort of certificate along with your degree if you focus on env. law.

i've sat through some law classes there and find them fairly interesting and enjoy being in school generally. also i know several people that have graduated from there and they all have had good things to say about the school and have pretty good jobs

i have less than 4k in undergrad debt and don't care about making a ton of money (or much at all; i've been living happily on 12k/year recently). i am somewhat interested in serving in public office/working with an environmental nonprofit.

am i going to THROW MY LIFE AWAY by going to law school? or does this sound like a reasonable decision. THANKS GOONS

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

toy posted:

i'm going to run my little situation by you all

i have a 170 / 4.0. good enough for a full scholarship from lewis & clark in portland, or, which is where i currently live & want to continue living. i'm interested in environmental issues (i spend much of my time as an env. activist). L & C appeals to me not only because it's here in portland, but also because they strive for a less competitive/cutthroat atmosphere, have an environmental advocacy center on campus that does good work, and is consistently rated as one of the top "environmental law" schools, for whatever that's worth. they also offer some sort of certificate along with your degree if you focus on env. law.

i've sat through some law classes there and find them fairly interesting and enjoy being in school generally. also i know several people that have graduated from there and they all have had good things to say about the school and have pretty good jobs

i have less than 4k in undergrad debt and don't care about making a ton of money (or much at all; i've been living happily on 12k/year recently). i am somewhat interested in serving in public office/working with an environmental nonprofit.

am i going to THROW MY LIFE AWAY by going to law school? or does this sound like a reasonable decision. THANKS GOONS

The general advice from this thread is 1. don't go to law school 2. if going, go to the best possible school you can. With those numbers, you would be very competitive at Berkeley and decently competitive at Stanford, so you could stay decently close to Portland. Apply early.

A full ride is great and all, but if you can't get a job after slogging away for 3 years, what's the point? Also people rail against L and C in here. ps Certificates and stuff like that along with a degree are pretty meaningless.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

toy posted:

...also because they strive for a less competitive/cutthroat atmosphere, have an environmental advocacy center on campus that does good work, and is consistently rated as one of the top "environmental law" schools, for whatever that's worth. they also offer some sort of certificate along with your degree if you focus on env. law.

Sigh.

toy
Apr 19, 2001

Solomon Grundy posted:

Sigh.

don't hold back there sport, let me have it. tell me how stupid/unprepared/naive/worthless i am and why.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
With all the information in the OP I'm surprised there isn't a giant bold SPECIALTY RANKINGS ARE WORTHLESS. IGNORE THEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Toy posted:

...also because they strive for a less competitive/cutthroat atmosphere, have an environmental advocacy center on campus that does good work, and is consistently rated as one of the top "environmental law" schools, for whatever that's worth. they also offer some sort of certificate along with your degree if you focus on env. law.

drat, what are you waiting for? Run, Forrest, run towards your destiny!