Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

HondaCivet posted:

Should I just play it on Easy or does that take all the fun out of it? I mostly want to play it so I can enjoy the later games more.

PS I found the thermal goggles!

I agree with Barudak. If you just wanna run through the game for the experience and story purposes go for easy. Some of the later games are made to be played on at least Normal if not Hard, but don't worry about breezing through this on easy.

I just did a replay of MGS a few months ago and despite knowing every trick in the game, I still struggled a bit with Rex at first. When you get to MGS2, you will really appreciate the more fine-tuned control, especially for some of the boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visti
Apr 26, 2010
Well, I just got a DS, so I'd appreciate some advice on the games I got:

Pokemon Heartgold
GTA: Chinatown Wars
M+L: Bowser's Inside Story
The World Ends With You

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Visti posted:

Well, I just got a DS, so I'd appreciate some advice on the games I got:

Pokemon Heartgold
GTA: Chinatown Wars
The World Ends With You

Pokemon Heartgold is a Pokemon game. If you've never played one before understand that in the single player campaign all this jib-jabbery about IVs, EVs, and Natures don't really matter. The AI is so stupid and your pokemon likely accidentally trained well enough that you'll still dominate.

The absolute easiest way to beat the campaign is to take your starter, and figure out what gyms will give them problems and raise a pokemon to cover those weakness. You will beat 8 gyms, then the elite 4, then 8 new gyms, then the elite 4 again. Hint: That stupid sheep you find early in the game is a powerful 2-evolution pokemon that learns electric, bug, and rock moves naturally. It is an excellent multi-coverage pokemon.

Know that once you've unlocked the elite 4 you've unlocked the best grinding grounds in the game so if any of the second 8 gyms or the Elite 4 are giving you a hard time, grind out a new pokemon to win.

You're going to want a water pokemon who learns/can learn an ice move. Be it the starter totodile or one you pick up along the way, their is both a difficult dragon gym and an elite 4 member who uses absurdly strong dragons.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Brought Red Dead Redemption

Any tips?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Muppetjedi posted:

Any tips?

don't play it like a "game" where you just go to point A and do this then point B and do blah, try to get invested in the characters. And, whenever a horse is presented to you (in lieu of your own horse) just ride the given one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

Any tips?

Those health recovery items are only useful in one teeny tiny section of the game. Don't buy any, you regenerate far to quickly for them to matter. To capture bad guys alive, lasso them and then when you get close it will let you hog-tie them. Not doing random side missions on the street does not effect your good/evil or notoriety in any way. If you are too good, occasionally everybody in theives landing will shoot at you and any return fire will flag as assault.

The duel/draw mechanic is fairly simple, you press down then up on the thumbstick to bring it onto the opponents body. The cursor pulses from red to white. Press fire when its white to deal bonus damage. Target the head or heart to deal bonus damage. If your total damage is greater than your opponents when the draw timer ends, you win.

Look up a guide to see what triggers the start of the journal challenges. The game doesn't tell you and its fairly arbitrary. I didn't start the skinning one until I had nearly beaten the game because I never skinned whatever the hell it is that starts it. Completeing 5 levels of each challenge nets you some permanent bonus, and completing 10 levels gives you another. Complete them all for an outfit.

Rifles are the best gun in the game, their is pretty much zero reason to use handguns, shotguns, or sniper rifles although the sniper rifles will be forced on you at I think 2 parts.

If the plot starts feeling repetitious around Mexico, just start skipping. Nothing happens plotwise in the game for a very long time.

If you are very, very attached to the way John looks and sounds, do not complete the final plot mission "The last enemy left alive" until you've done everything else. Additionally, after the final mission you will no longer be able to finish the stranger mission "Mysterious Stranger" make sure you do all three of those before you complete the last mission.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Okay, I am about to get back into Morrowind again.

What is the best way to run faster? Because my god, my character runs so slow. Is there a way I can level up athletics really fast? How do I get more fatigue (stamina)?

Strength, Willpower and Agility all affect fatigue. Not sure if it's their respective scores just added up or if one has more of an effect than the others. Other than that, it just takes running a lot and spending points in Speed.
Athletics levels up faster if you swim though, so if you're strong enough to take on both Dreughs and Slaughterfish, you can swim between coastal settlements every once in a while.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I picked up Civilisation III for 75p in a Steam discount sale a while back. Also, my friend got me to install Fragile Allegiance recently. Any advice for either game would be appreciated :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Visti posted:

The World Ends With You
Bowser: The game is pretty easy, to be honest. I don't think there's anything specific you need to know beforehand... Just know I guess that most people seem to like Bowser's portion of the story more. Also look for Blitties everytime you enter a new area, as getting all of them nets you a ridiculously powerful special for Bowser.

TWEWY: Don't worry about making certain brands more popular, unless the story calls for it. You will likely never have to worry about it in terms of battles being harder/easier.

At first everything will seem very hectic, but after a while you should get used to the two screen combat. Until you get later in the game you can probably get by with just holding a single direction for your partner (left or right, that is). The important thing is to have a sense of rhythm between Neku and your partner. Passing the light puck back and forth is probably the best way to go about this.

Don't forget to take advantage of jumping with your partner. Joshua especially becomes quite powerful if you attack with him in mid-air.

Save your Scarletite for stuff besides Attack/Defense bonuses. Stuff like Fusion Levels for example. You can make Neku and his partner have better Attack/Defense by eating, so it makes no sense to waste the Scarletite on boosting them.

It is nigh impossible to get every pin and 100% the game in general. So, honestly, don't bother. Find out what pin attacks you like the best and stick to those when in doubt.

You can abuse the DS clock to forcibly make pins get a lot of PP.

Visti
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks guys!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Nate RFB posted:

It is nigh impossible to get every pin and 100% the game in general. So, honestly, don't bother. Find out what pin attacks you like the best and stick to those when in doubt.

I never finished this game and I want to start it again. I'm not looking to 100% it by any means (I don't really have the time for that stuff anymore) but I was curious about this. Is there even like a ng+ option to do it or no?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Muppetjedi posted:

Any tips?

Do all of the Bonnie missions first so you can get the lasso.

I'd recommend using Expert aim, the game is too easy otherwise.

For duels, Barudak's advice is good. However if you want, you can end the duels instantly by targeting the hand and disarming your opponent. This will give you Honor in addition to Fame.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

What is the best way to run faster? Because my god, my character runsg so slow. Is there a way I can level up athletics really fast? How do I get more fatigue (stamina)?

The easiest way to move faster is to nab the Boots of Blinding Speed, which Fortify Speed for 200 pts as a constant effect. Just make your way to Caldera (quickest route is Seyda Neen -> Balmora then use the teleporter in the Balmora Mage Guild to get to Caldera) and take the north road toward Ald-Ruhn. You'll run into Pemenie, and to get the Boots you can do her quest or just kill her.

The drawback of the boots is that they also have a 100% Blindness constant effect. You can counteract it with a Resist Magic spell/potion/enchantment. The higher your resist magic, the less blind you'll be (things'll just be dim). Also, you can create a custom 100% Resist Magic spell that lasts for 1-2 seconds, and cast it each time you equip the boots.

Honestly, though, if you're playing on a PC you may as well just open up the console and boost your speed by ten points or something so that it doesn't take forever to walk everywhere.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

rivals posted:

I never finished this game and I want to start it again. I'm not looking to 100% it by any means (I don't really have the time for that stuff anymore) but I was curious about this. Is there even like a ng+ option to do it or no?

Yes, after you beat the game you can go back to any of the previous days with all of your stuff intact.

I'll add that if you ever get stuck on a boss, don't be afraid to dial down the difficulty. As mentioned above, you can fight bosses over and over again by going back to the appropriate day post-game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So, I just got Dead rising, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge. Anything to know about these?

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.

Andrast posted:

So, I just got Dead rising, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge. Anything to know about these?

Mirror's Edge is very short (5 or so hours) and lineal. One of the achievements is to beat the game without shooting a person. This is very doable on the normal difficulty, although the very last level can make it a bit difficult.

edit: Try not to get into too many fights. You usually lose and can't take too many bullets before you die. The game is meant to be played with you running away.

BigTeaBag fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 19, 2010

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Andrast posted:

You can only find ammunition for the weapon(s) you're carrying.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

BigTeaBag posted:

Mirror's Edge is very short (5 or so hours) and lineal. One of the achievements is to beat the game without shooting a person. This is very doable on the normal difficulty, although the very last level can make it a bit difficult.

edit: Try not to get into too many fights. You usually lose and can't take too many bullets before you die. The game is meant to be played with you running away.

I would strongly, strongly recommend NOT going for that achievement your first time through. While it's certainly doable, you're still learning the game and there are certain parts that can go from infuriating to easy if you just use the guns you're given.

The game gives you guns when you need them most. It is designed this way. If you want additional challenge on another run through, then by all means go for it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Andrast posted:

In Dead Space, the Plasma cutter is the first weapon you get and it's also perfectly possible to beat the game with it alone. Try to avoid carrying more than two weapons, since that's when ammo gets scarce.

Don't get the flamethrower, it's a pile of poo poo.

The Contact Beam is great for taking out bosses.

If you're on PC turn off Vsync in-game and force it through an outside application if you want it. It causes some pretty bad control issues when it's on.

If you're swarmed by those loving baby crawling things (you'll know what I'm talking about) try to shoot while moving away, since if they catch you you're more than likely to fail the QTE, and it's probably best to reload if they do.

Try to keep at least one Power Circuit or whatever the upgrade modules are called. Every now and then there's a room with handy stuff like healing items or poo poo you can sell. It's usually worth more than a single power thingy, so it's worth it.

For Mirror's Edge.

Explore, there's tons of hidden stuff. Crank the graphics if you can, it's a very pretty game. Walljumps are your friend and can let you skip some of the more difficult jumping puzzles.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Andrast posted:

Dead Rising-

You'll probably die a few times. You can start over and keep all your experience.

Don't worry too much about getting everyone in the safe room on your first few gos. Just talking to them will get you XP, and getting them back gives you some more. If you give them a gun, they'll have infinite ammo while using it.

If you want guns at the beginning, head to the gun shop as early as possible. At a certain point it'll be occupied by someone who isn't so willing to let you have them.

Wine is a really good healing item, and is available in the Food Court. Steak is good as well, but it goes bad after a while.

Explore around, there will be some survivors you won't be alerted about.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm thinking about going through the Quest for Glory games starting with QFG2 since I've played 1 so much already. I'll be starting with the AGD remake of 2 as a wizard and going all the way to the end of 5.

First off, will 5 even run on 32-bit Vista? I can find out how to tinker with it if necessary but I want to make sure it's at least a possibility. Also, are there any "dead-end", game-ending puzzles in QFG 2 through 5? Sierra is infamous for these so I'd like a heads-up if possible.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Getting the original Super Mario Galaxy.

This seems to be a straightforward game, but i'm just wondering if there's anything I should know.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

21stCentury posted:

This seems to be a straightforward game, but i'm just wondering if there's anything I should know.

ur mr. gay?

what?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Capsaicin posted:

ur mr. gay?

what?

if you only read the letters with a twinkle on them, you get UR MR GAY. it's kind of a stupid joke but I'm kind of stupid.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

21stCentury posted:

You're right, it is pretty straightforward. So much so that I can't really come up with tips that aren't really obvious; it's one of those "minutes to learn, years to master" things-

-The Bee Suit disappears when you enter water.
-When fighting Bowser, get him to stomp on the blue parts, and then the lava under them. After that, keep hitting him until he stops running/sliding around. Repeat as necessary.
-With the blue "Pull" stars, you can build up inertia to move faster and get around obstacles. They also have a longer range than you might think, and I don't believe you fall right away if you miss one.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mastering the spin at the apex of your jump will save your rear end more times than you'd think, as well.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Andrast posted:

In Dead Space, get the ripper or whatever that saw-blade thing is called.

It pretty much kills everything and affords you a nice shield for rushing enemies to run into.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I played through a hefty portion of Super Mario Galaxy without learning all of the different jumps you can perform. It's been a while, so I've forgotten them, but there are some standing tall jumps etc. that are very useful, and that you wouldn't know existed, because the game never tells you.

Look them up somewhere.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Z+A while stopped will back flip fairly high
Z+A while moving will long jump
A+A stopped will make the second jump slightly higher, but it isn't useful
A+A+A while moving will do a triple jump, the third jump being the highest normal jump you can do
Running then reversing direction and jumping at the same time will do a side flip which has more lateral motion than a backflip
Z in the air does the ground pound
Spinning at the end of a long jump will give you a little more distance and a slight height bump

If you get all 120 stars, you unlock Luigi. He controls the same, but he takes longer to stop when running. All of his jumps are higher/longer than Mario's.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
NVM

tensai fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 20, 2010

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

21stCentury posted:

The best piece of advice I can think to give on this game is that you move more quickly by long jumping than by just running flat out. There's a few timed bits and races, and they are all much easier if you take to long jumping instead of just running. The long jump is really useful for getting around in general also. Once you get a good feel for how far you can go with it you'll find it comes in handy pretty often.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just got Fallout 3! :neckbeard: I wanted it since it came out but it was always like $100, wandered into EB today and it was on midyear sale.

I'm barely out of Vault 101, but I'm still loving it so far. The interface is a bit horrible though, and VAC or whatever seems broken as hell, not that I mind since I'm poo poo at combat anyways. I know I should use a guide to get all the Bobbleheads but is there anything else I should know ahead of time, gameplay wise? Any essential mods that make it way more playable like the inventory/map/UI mods for Oblivion?

Karma sucks. :( Every time I steal so much as a cigarette I get the YOU HAVE LOST KARMA message and it's annoying as hell. I'm one of those 'compulsively steal anything not nailed down in any rpg' players so it's like triply annoying. Does it take off a lot? Am I gonna be saving saving entire towns from doom and feeding starving orphans and end up with -500 karma because I raid everyone's closets?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Corridor posted:

Karma sucks. :( Every time I steal so much as a cigarette I get the YOU HAVE LOST KARMA message and it's annoying as hell. I'm one of those 'compulsively steal anything not nailed down in any rpg' players so it's like triply annoying. Does it take off a lot? Am I gonna be saving saving entire towns from doom and feeding starving orphans and end up with -500 karma because I raid everyone's closets?

The karma penalty you incur for stealing is pretty minimal, and after a while you're not going to be taking every plate and piece of food that you see, so the bad karma will stop accumulating so quickly. Plus, the karma you get for doing quests is huge, and will easily eclipse the effects of stealing, in either direction.

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?

Corridor posted:

I'm barely out of Vault 101, but I'm still loving it so far. The interface is a bit horrible though, and VAC or whatever seems broken as hell, not that I mind since I'm poo poo at combat anyways. I know I should use a guide to get all the Bobbleheads but is there anything else I should know ahead of time, gameplay wise?

1. High Stealth will make you into an unstoppable, invisible Grim Reaper. You will literally be able to beat the game in pyjamas.

2. Small Guns will always serve you well.

3. The Explosives skill is poo poo.

4. Get the Comprehension perk and hunt down those skill books. Meticulously.

5. You're going to be meeting someone named Moira, and she's going to be giving you a lot of quests. These quests will have additional, optional objectives. Complete all of them. Do not miss a single one.

6. Karma is easily fixed. You can find beggars that will ask you for purified water every time you speak to them, and you'll always get karma for giving it to them. Provided you complete a certain quest in Megaton, purified water will be both free and in limitless supply.

7. DarNified UI. Get the FOMOD version, and install it with Fallout Mod Manager.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Didja Redo posted:

5. You're going to be meeting someone named Moira, and she's going to be giving you a lot of quests. These quests will have additional, optional objectives. Complete all of them. Do not miss a single one.

Alternately, bitch her out and force her to abandon her dream for a perk where enemy's have a 50% lower chance to crit you.

JayTee
May 24, 2004

Corridor posted:

I think the karma hits will stack up pretty bad. (or not I was only guessing and i forgot about the beggers). There's mods to get rid of the sound of bad karma and probably mods to let you steal stuff with impunity, but i have to ask: is it just that RPGs have trained you to be that way or do you have some kind of mental disorder? Cus if it's the former you really should just get out of the habit since Fallout is filled with masses of junk and trying to collect/sell it all will give you some kind of mental disorder. There are also some items that specific NPCs want as many as you can find Blood packs, holotags, pre-war books (these are big earners), nuka-cola quantums (actually she wants a specific number of these but its a lot) and sugar bombs so don't sell em to normal traders.

JayTee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 20, 2010

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I picked up more games on the cheap.

Any advice on:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
I still need some good advice for Sacred 2, especially regarding classes. Any good builds for co-oping? Assume my partner is whatever and half-useful.
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Darksiders
Dante's Inferno
For Silent Hill: Homecoming, get good at fighting. Every enemy has a weakness you can exploit. The knife is by far the most useful weapon; use the light-light-light-heavy combo. Dodging is important, too. Enemies telegraph most of their attacks.

Unless you have a penchant for tile puzzles, look up the solutions for these on GameFAQs. Otherwise you'll have to do some backtracking to reset them if you screw up.

Serums restore your health completely and increase the gauge permanently. Wait until you're low on health and use them.

Create a separate save file after the first time you have to make a choice during a cutscene. If you do, you'll only have to replay a small part of the game to see all of the endings.

EDIT: By choice I mean "save" or "don't save", not the dialogue trees.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 20, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

JayTee posted:

is it just that RPGs have trained you to be that way or do you have some kind of mental disorder? Cus if it's the former you really should just get out of the habit since Fallout is filled with masses of junk and trying to collect/sell it all will give you some kind of mental disorder.

I don't mean I literally steal everything. But I steal a lot. Anything that's usable or worth much. I just like playing thieves in rpgs. Thief kinda spoiled me for this kind of game. I even play Garrett in Oblivion with voicepacks and poo poo.

Didja Redo posted:

:words:

Thank you, this looks useful.

I like your Riviera thread.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Corridor posted:

I just got Fallout 3! :neckbeard: I wanted it since it came out but it was always like $100, wandered into EB today and it was on midyear sale.

I'm barely out of Vault 101, but I'm still loving it so far. The interface is a bit horrible though, and VAC or whatever seems broken as hell, not that I mind since I'm poo poo at combat anyways. I know I should use a guide to get all the Bobbleheads but is there anything else I should know ahead of time, gameplay wise? Any essential mods that make it way more playable like the inventory/map/UI mods for Oblivion?

Explore everything. Loot anything that looks remotely valuable. Get the scrounger perk and you'll be finding a lot more ammo.

There's a whole bunch of unique, overpowered weapons you can get in the game. One of them is the A3-21's plasma rifle, which you can get from a quest in Rivet City. Talk to people and you'll soon find out about an escaped android, that will get you started on the quest.

There's quite a few different items in the game that are used for collection quests and crafting stuff. Someone posted a list earlier in the thread, but here's a few items you should look out for:
Nuka-cola Quantum - need 30 for a quest and can be made into kickass grenades
Abraxo cleaner, turpentine, tin can - other ingredients for the grenades
Sugar bombs - turned in for a quest, repeatable
Pre-war book - turned in for a quest, repeatable
Scrap metal - turned in for a quest, repeatable
Camera, sensor module - turned in for a quest at the end of Broken Steel, repeatable
Teddy bear - turned in for a quest at the end of the Pitt, repeatable

As for mods, you can check out the thread here, you might want to avoid the major game-changing mods for your first playthrough though.

If you have the Anchorage DLC, you can get a totally gamebreaking suit of stealth armor at the end of it that makes the entire game a joke. The Pitt also has a few overpowered weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jive One posted:

First off, will 5 even run on 32-bit Vista? I can find out how to tinker with it if necessary but I want to make sure it's at least a possibility. Also, are there any "dead-end", game-ending puzzles in QFG 2 through 5? Sierra is infamous for these so I'd like a heads-up if possible.
Last I checked, all 5 games worked rather well. I had use DosBox for the original 1 but otherwise it all worked out.

The only way to get stuck in-game is if you ignore every clue and / or leave vital items in the chest in your hotel room (some stuff can't be placed there specifically to avoid those sort of problems, but you can break your game if you're persistent enough.

2 and 5 both have timed quests that you will fail after a while. Not game breaking in 5, instant game over in 2.