Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Evan Bourne and Justin GAYbriel hit their flippy finishers perfectly everytime. Why is Morrison sloppy as gently caress with Starship Pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

They are always way too close to the turnbuckle and he always overshoots it.

So whenever he comes down he just kind of grazes them and it doesn't come off that well.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
How come Raven only managed as Johnny Polo, commentated and did behind the scenes work during his first WWF run? He would wrestle but very rarely and also why did he leave?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

Evan Bourne and Justin GAYbriel hit their flippy finishers perfectly everytime. Why is Morrison sloppy as gently caress with Starship Pain?

Well just for starters he's rotating his entire body weight on two separate axes as opposed to just one. Second it's a springboard move which means he doesn't have the time to set it up that Gabriel or Bourne have, and it's a split-leg springboard which makes it even tougher for him to really judge how far he's going to land.

I'm not saying the Shooting Star Press or 450 aren't incredibly difficult to pull off in their own right, but they're probably easier to master since there's a lot less x-factors involved in executing them perfectly.

Edit: When did Mysterio start doing that lame-rear end belly flop instead of the West coast pop after hitting people with the 619?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Morrison also doesn't wear kneepads. If he were to actually land starship pain properly, and do it 100+ times a year, he'd be unable to run by age 40, so he just lands on the side of his legs instead.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Meat Recital posted:

Morrison also doesn't wear kneepads. If he were to actually land starship pain properly, and do it 100+ times a year, he'd be unable to run by age 40, so he just lands on the side of his legs instead.

Maybe he could pick a different finisher instead of just doing his finisher shitilly?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Maybe he could pick a different finisher instead of just doing his finisher shitilly?

Or wear loving kneepads?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The A-Team Van posted:

It was already pointed out, but he always overshoots them. Considering Morrison is rather crisp with his other signature moves, I have to assume he is aware of that. It may be that landing the move legitimately is dangerous for some reason, either to him or his opponent. We have to keep in mind that there are more variables with his move, as the rope tension means less for Bourne than for Morrison.

I was fine with Moonlight Drive as a finisher, and while I like Starship Pain in concept, he really does not land it right.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bearnt! posted:

How come Raven only managed as Johnny Polo, commentated and did behind the scenes work during his first WWF run? He would wrestle but very rarely and also why did he leave?

Vince didn't like his ring work and didn't think he was big enough to be a WWE wrestler, but thought he had good ideas and was grooming him to be part of the creative team. Raven left because he wanted to actually wrestle.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Chilly McFreeze posted:

But you see, all college athletes get "tutoring" so they can maintain their "good grades".

Unless its Penn State football

That's not even me being a fan boy, I can tell you stories

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

It was already pointed out, but he always overshoots them. Considering Morrison is rather crisp with his other signature moves, I have to assume he is aware of that. It may be that landing the move legitimately is dangerous for some reason, either to him or his opponent. We have to keep in mind that there are more variables with his move, as the rope tension means less for Bourne than for Morrison.

I was fine with Moonlight Drive as a finisher, and while I like Starship Pain in concept, he really does not land it right.

Plus the fact that I'm sure hitting a no-look split-legged corkscrew backflip is loving god damned hard.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Has WWE ever done one of those international invitational type events where federations bring in wrestlers from Japan/Mexico to compete with their own wrestlers in matches?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

Has WWE ever done one of those international invitational type events where federations bring in wrestlers from Japan/Mexico to compete with their own wrestlers in matches?

They had TAKA Michinoku take on the Great Sasuke at an In Your House event and there were several Mexican wrestlers that basically took on each other from Survivor Series 1995 to the 1996 Royal Rumble.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

They had TAKA Michinoku take on the Great Sasuke at an In Your House event and there were several Mexican wrestlers that basically took on each other from Survivor Series 1995 to the 1996 Royal Rumble.

96 - 97.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

I'm going with this just because he used to land it very flush, but then he KNEED THE EVERLOVING gently caress OUT OF CHARLIE HAAS' FACE and probably still feels bad about it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

what's the most titles one wrestler has held at the same time? I know Ultimo Dragon has had points where he's come to the ring with 5 or 6 titles.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

what's the most titles one wrestler has held at the same time? I know Ultimo Dragon has had points where he's come to the ring with 5 or 6 titles.

It was 9. The 8 J Crown belts plus the WCW Cruiserweight title.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CoronaLargesse posted:

Uhm, Morrison and Mysterio proceeded to put on a MOTYC soooo what's the problem?

:colbert:

The problem is that it helped no-one. People forget that Morrison was on the verge of the main event. He was 2-1 up against World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk. He had a complete barnburner of a World Title match with Jeff in which he became the only person I can recall who isn't called HHH to kick out of the Swanton Bomb. He was crazy over as well. Giving him the IC belt and having him feud with Ziggler killed his push and he never recovered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

in which he became the only person I can recall who isn't called HHH to kick out of the Swanton Bomb.
Matt has to of kicked out of the Swanton Bomb at some point during him and Jeff's five different feuds.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

Matt has to of kicked out of the Swanton Bomb at some point during him and Jeff's five different feuds.

I recall him putting his foot on the ropes but that doesn't have the same 'putting over' effect that a kickout does.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Does the Pope still appear on Impact?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

The mid-card guys only seem to appear once every 2-3 weeks, aaaand I think he's injured?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Take off his hat!

e: sorry wrong pope question

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Question time:

Was flipping through Terry Funk's autobio last night, and he paints Lou Thesz in a pretty negative light as a world champion, saying that if Lou had to face a guy in a territory that he didn't like or think was a legit talent, he'd stiff them in the ring (which he could do with his skills) and basically kill off that guy's drawing power. Maybe I just haven't read enough stories about the old days, but are there any other articles/books that confirm this story?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CVagts posted:

Was flipping through Terry Funk's autobio last night, and he paints Lou Thesz in a pretty negative light as a world champion, saying that if Lou had to face a guy in a territory that he didn't like or think was a legit talent, he'd stiff them in the ring (which he could do with his skills) and basically kill off that guy's drawing power. Maybe I just haven't read enough stories about the old days, but are there any other articles/books that confirm this story?

Jim Cornette and Bobby Heenan talk about it in one of their ROH shoots - basically Lou was a "this is WRESTLING so we WRESTLE, dammit" kinda guy and didn't like gimmick wrestlers who weren't shooters.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
What if HHH and Stephanie had a really messy divorce? I can't imagine any other scenario than Hunter leaving the company and starting his own. There's no way he'd go to TNA, and I also think it would be impossible for him to just retire from the business.

I have a feeling a promotion run by HHH would be really loving good. Also Wargames.

Any theories?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DannoMack posted:

What if HHH and Stephanie had a really messy divorce? I can't imagine any other scenario than Hunter leaving the company and starting his own. There's no way he'd go to TNA, and I also think it would be impossible for him to just retire from the business.

I have a feeling a promotion run by HHH would be really loving good. Also Wargames.

Any theories?
A promotion ran by HHH would either be really good, or HHH winning 5000 Wargames matches at once and winning every belt ever, which he tapes together and uses to drag a corpse around for him to gently caress after every win.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Endorph posted:

A promotion ran by HHH would either be really good, or HHH winning 5000 Wargames matches at once and winning every belt ever, which he tapes together and uses to drag a corpse around for him to gently caress after every win.

From "A Wrestling Carol"
EVAN BOURNE: I challenge you for the hardcore title, Triple H! You've beat everyone else 10 times, but you've only beat me nine!

TRIPLE H: Alright. If I lose, I guess I could go back to using toilet paper.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CombineThresher posted:

Vince didn't like his ring work and didn't think he was big enough to be a WWE wrestler, but thought he had good ideas and was grooming him to be part of the creative team. Raven left because he wanted to actually wrestle.

Did he also get Shane high and that lead to when Raven returned to WWE Vince screaming Who the gently caress hired Raven?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

Any theories?

Vince has been quoted as saying he would hate it if they got divorced since he'd really miss Stephanie. I think at this point HHH's position is consolidated enough that even a messy divorce wouldn't make him a persona non grata in the company.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Vince has been quoted as saying he would hate it if they got divorced since he'd really miss Stephanie.
Hahaha holy poo poo.

Vince McMahowns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wiki posted:

* There's a man-made volcano in Hardy's front lawn, which he sets ablaze to use as a motocross ring
My wrestling question is how the gently caress does that work

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Did he also get Shane high and that lead to when Raven returned to WWE Vince screaming Who the gently caress hired Raven?

Supposedly. It's always struck me as an odd moral/ethical qualm coming from him though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Vince has been quoted as saying he would hate it if they got divorced since he'd really miss Stephanie. I think at this point HHH's position is consolidated enough that even a messy divorce wouldn't make him a persona non grata in the company.

Honestly this doesn't surprise me that much because I'm sure Triple H loves the business a hell of a lot more than Steph, so business-wise it makes sense for Vince to keep him around.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?
So, is there any real reason Chris Hero left CHIKARA and has never returned since the end of 2007? Was there some kind of heat between Quack and Hero?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
In the new Undertaker set they have the last ride match between him and Mr. Kennedy and JBL is on commentary. During the match JBL says a few times how his own Last Ride match with Taker significantly shortened his career.

A. Did he actually sustain some kind of serious injury in that match or was it BS?

B. What was the reason for JBL retiring?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the new Undertaker set they have the last ride match between him and Mr. Kennedy and JBL is on commentary. During the match JBL says a few times how his own Last Ride match with Taker significantly shortened his career.

A. Did he actually sustain some kind of serious injury in that match or was it BS?

B. What was the reason for JBL retiring?

I don't think that match actually did anything severe. JBL just had a bad back for a while which was why he switched over to announcing. He went back to wrestling cuz he said he missed it and when he actually retired it was just due to years of wrestling, injuries, and the other ailments that come from years of wrestling.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Supposedly. It's always struck me as an odd moral/ethical qualm coming from him though.

It's pretty simple, Shane is his son.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

FishBulb posted:

It's pretty simple, Shane is his son.

Shane is his son who was practically murdered in a match because he let him wrestle.

He similarly doesn't seem very protective of Stephanie on the average.

Don't get me wrong, behind all the weird-rear end Mr. McMahon-ness of his personality he's probably a really good dad. It's just weird thinking of all the insane poo poo he's done and he's let his kids do but a wrestler doing drugs with his son enraged him so much, especially considering that a year or two later he wanted to do an incest story with Stephanie over her IRL baby.

It's one of the only points in history he let his actual dad side come out and it's cute but so very out of character for him at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I can see a difference in letting his kids wrestle [albiet Shane works a dangerous style] and letting them go out partying with the boys, snorting God only knows what random grey powdery poo poo a wasted Raven would pull out from the back pocket of his jorts