Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toy
Apr 19, 2001
LT do you/did you go to law school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
The OP should just replace all the text with a huge, table-breaking blinking sign that just says "DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. EVER. DON'T GO. DON'T. THAT MEANS YOU" and everytime an 0L posts you can just quote it.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

toy posted:

LT do you/did you go to law school

Yes.

toy
Apr 19, 2001

lipstick thespian posted:

Yes.

could you expand on your impression of it plz because i don't recognize any of these other posters

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

toy posted:

i have less than 4k in undergrad debt and don't care about making a ton of money (or much at all; i've been living happily on 12k/year recently). i am somewhat interested in serving in public office/working with an environmental nonprofit.

So are Harvard grads. In fact, every single one of them is. Guess what jobs they will be interviewing for?

Go to Harvard.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

toy posted:

could you expand on your impression of it plz because i don't recognize any of these other posters

It's awesome, cool people, an above-average job market, the studies are actually interesting, BigLaw firms are still hiring, etc.

That said I have to share desks with a polar bear.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The OP should just replace all the text with a huge, table-breaking blinking sign that just says "DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. EVER. DON'T GO. DON'T. THAT MEANS YOU" and everytime an 0L posts you can just quote it.

In conclusion,

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Ainsley McTree posted:

In conclusion,

That is neither huge nor table breaking. :colbert:

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
If you can get recruited by Mossad and steal a swedish passport in some dastardly international assassination scheme I definitely recommend you to keep it afterwards and use it to go to law school.

Otherwise? Send me the 100K and I'll spare you the trouble of burning them. :)

toy
Apr 19, 2001
wait where u from?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

toy posted:

i'm going to run my little situation by you all

i have a 170 / 4.0. good enough for a full scholarship from lewis & clark in portland, or, which is where i currently live & want to continue living. i'm interested in environmental issues (i spend much of my time as an env. activist). L & C appeals to me not only because it's here in portland, but also because they strive for a less competitive/cutthroat atmosphere, have an environmental advocacy center on campus that does good work, and is consistently rated as one of the top "environmental law" schools, for whatever that's worth. they also offer some sort of certificate along with your degree if you focus on env. law.

i've sat through some law classes there and find them fairly interesting and enjoy being in school generally. also i know several people that have graduated from there and they all have had good things to say about the school and have pretty good jobs

i have less than 4k in undergrad debt and don't care about making a ton of money (or much at all; i've been living happily on 12k/year recently). i am somewhat interested in serving in public office/working with an environmental nonprofit.

am i going to THROW MY LIFE AWAY by going to law school? or does this sound like a reasonable decision. THANKS GOONS

I don't know you what think environmental law entails, but it's less "file emergency injunction to protect the polar bears" and more "defend British Petroleum from oil spill litigation."

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

toy posted:

wait where u from?

I'm actually from Sweden, so it's all pretty much free for me. Courses are in swedish and cover swedish law so I can't really recommend them to the prospective international student.

Go to Harvard. With a 4.0 GPA and a 170 lsat you can retake it if necessary until you get in. It will still probably be a crap shoot wheter you actually make it to the point where you weren't just wasting your money (ie not shitlaw), especially if the job market keeps tanking, but at least you'll have a better chance than people like poor Ainsley :shobon:

toy
Apr 19, 2001

GamingHyena posted:

I don't know you what think environmental law entails, but it's less "file emergency injunction to protect the polar bears" and more "defend British Petroleum from oil spill litigation."

i realize that's what most of the establishment env. law jobs are, but do you think that's a necessary limitation?

i mean, it sounds like you're familiar with it. if one was working independently, or with a small radical environmental organization, could the laws as written be leveraged effectively to punish corporate/gov. malfeasance with regard to the environment?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

toy posted:

i realize that's what most of the establishment env. law jobs are, but do you think that's a necessary limitation?

i mean, it sounds like you're familiar with it. if one was working independently, or with a small radical environmental organization, could the laws as written be leveraged effectively to punish corporate/gov. malfeasance with regard to the environment?

Sure. I mean, it worked for Erin Brokovitch, after all.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

toy posted:

i have a 170 / 4.0. good enough for a full scholarship from lewis & clark

How did people manage to keep reading after this line? This is so clearly a troll it hurts; look at his numbers, and then compare it to the school name. If you've gotten a 4.0, then you're likely a try-hard prick who subsists on prestige-whoring and name-dropping. That automatically disqualifies you from even thinking about going to lois and clark.

The bit about them attaching a bonus piece of paper to your degree if you study environmental law is just extra cream on top.

toy
Apr 19, 2001
lol, this is not a troll. i post rarely and don't have time for that poo poo.

i am also serious about that last Q regarding the possibilities of env. law.

also your conception of me is hilariously wrong. i am a poor, radical environmental activist and work as a barista.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

toy posted:

also your conception of me is hilariously wrong. i am a poor, radical environmental activist and work as a barista.

Go to law school, any law school, just as long as you let Ainsley have your old job.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

toy posted:

There are no jobs with small, radical environmental organizations. I mean this literally; there might be, like, six in the US, plus another twenty or thirty permanent internships where they won't ever pay you. That's fine if you're not planning on children, renting an apartment or whatever other middle class thing you might theoretically want to do in the future, but it doesn't matter because most of them will still be going to people just like you except with degrees from Harvard.

Also, the kinds of clients you would want for this type of thing typically have damage claims in the millions or higher. There are hundreds of thousands of lawyers in the US that would metaphorically kill for a case like that and thousands of lawyers that would literally kill for it if they thought they could. You're not getting those cases without major help and you're not getting the contacts you need for that without going to Harvard*.

*and then probably turning corporate, but that's another story

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Adar posted:

There are no jobs with small, radical environmental organizations. I mean this literally; there might be, like, six in the US, plus another twenty or thirty permanent internships where they won't ever pay you. That's fine if you're not planning on children, renting an apartment or whatever other middle class thing you might theoretically want to do in the future, but it doesn't matter because most of them will still be going to people just like you except with degrees from Harvard.

Also, the kinds of clients you would want for this type of thing typically have damage claims in the millions or higher. There are hundreds of thousands of lawyers in the US that would metaphorically kill for a case like that and thousands of lawyers that would literally kill for it if they thought they could. You're not getting those cases without major help and you're not getting the contacts you need for that without going to Harvard*.

*and then probably turning corporate, but that's another story
I actually know a firm that specializes in white hats. The white hats better have reasonably deep pockets though, they aren't pro bono.
These are small firms and are few and far between. And everyone wants to work for them, so you better have lots of experience or go to Yale.
Now most environmental law isn't really black and white hats. It is grey hats. BP and shell suing each other over who is responsible for more cleanup costs.

The other white hat role is environmental prosecution but that takes some getting into. Requires some criminal background, etc.

You'd be much better off getting some science MS or something and working for EPA or state agencies in enforcement. Get an MS/MBA and some interesting options open up for you. My aunt has a contract with the feds. right now for finding out the damages caused by BP and what they will owe.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

toy posted:

I'm leaning towards troll, here. We have someone with a 170 / 4.0, who writes like my kid brother.

FREE RINGTONEZ
Mar 27, 2004
I'm almost done with my first year as a lit associate at a big NY firm. I'm happy to take questions.

BTW, one of the greatest and most helpful OPs I've seen.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

lipstick thespian, would it be theoretically possible for someone with an American JD to come to Sweden and practice there? If so, how would that work?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

FREE RINGTONEZ posted:

I'm almost done with my first year as a lit associate at a big NY firm. I'm happy to take questions.

BTW, one of the greatest and most helpful OPs I've seen.

Where did you go to school, and how did you get the job?

Do you enjoy your job? (is it at least interesting, I know it's a lot of work)

Do you prefer snorting off the hooker's rear end or tits?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ManiacClown posted:

lipstick thespian, would it be theoretically possible for someone with an American JD to come to Sweden and practice there? If so, how would that work?

Sweden is the New Guam?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

toy posted:

Assuming that you literally and completely are not a troll (and I'm not convinced you aren't), I have advice for you that I would never give to anyone else, and I mean it 100%, and not even out of spite on account of that I suspect you might be a troll, I offer this advice sincerely:

go to northeastern

If you really truly are a poor radical environmental activist and all you want to do is...whatever the gently caress it is you think you want to do as a lawyer, Northeastern really truly is the school for you, because it is chock full of radical [insert your cause here] activists and you will be among friends if you go there. And with a 170/4.0 you can get a nasty scholarship, especially if you have a demonstrable interest in a public interest job. A friend of mine had a full scholarship with the condition that she had to satisfy certain public interest requirements. I never really pressed her on what those requirements were, but she was happy to do it, she was an immigrant who wanted to immigration law (and she is, so good for her I'm not jealous) so things worked out for her. Northeastern's a great school to go to so long as you're annoyingly passionate about public interest and you don't mind/don't know about the massive risk of failure

I went for the co-ops. more like co-oops

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 20, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Assuming that you literally and completely are not a troll (and I'm not convinced you aren't), I have advice for you that I would never give to anyone else, and I mean it 100%, and not even out of spite on account of that I suspect you might be a troll, I offer this advice sincerely:

go to northeastern

If you really truly are a poor radical environmental activist and all you want to do is...whatever the gently caress it is you think you want to do as a lawyer, Northeastern really truly is the school for you, because it is chock full of radical [insert your cause here] activists and you will be among friends if you go there

I went for the co-ops. more like co-oops

I have a 'friend' who is a rapist and child molester (the girl he raped/tried to rape was 20) who is going to north eastern. On a scholarship.

He also got a 142 on the LSAT but it's ok because he's Black.

Have fun with taht.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

I have a 'friend' who is a rapist and child molester (the girl he raped/tried to rape was 20) who is going to north eastern. On a scholarship.

He also got a 142 on the LSAT but it's ok because he's Black.

Have fun with taht.

I find that surprising, because Northeastern is very strongly feminist. I was once vaguely accused of being a rapist on account of me having a penis

I say "accused", I guess that's a bit strong, all she meant was that it was statistically likely that I could be a rapist on account of some percentage of men being rapists

I say "it was statistically likely", I guess that's also a bit strong, I mean she was joking, but you could tell that she kind of probably did think that either me or one of my six male friends in the room probably committed a rape at some point

I'm not a rapist btw

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 20, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I find that surprising, because Northeastern is very strongly feminist. I was once vaguely accused of being a rapist on account of me having a penis

I say "accused", I guess that's a bit strong, all she meant was that it was statistically likely that I could be a rapist on account of some percentage of men being rapists

This guy has nothing charged but I walked in on him sexually assaulting a girl and he pulled some chris hansen poo poo with a 13 year old.

He may be a rapist pedophile but he's more qualified than you because of being a URM.

P.s. I kinda wanna start a militia compound in rural montana, you in?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This guy has nothing charged but I walked in on him sexually assaulting a girl and he pulled some chris hansen poo poo with a 13 year old.

He may be a rapist pedophile but he's more qualified than you because of being a URM.

I'll pass

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll pass

I think the goal is child soldiers anyway.

FREE RINGTONEZ
Mar 27, 2004

Tetrix posted:

Where did you go to school, and how did you get the job?

Do you enjoy your job? (is it at least interesting, I know it's a lot of work)

Do you prefer snorting off the hooker's rear end or tits?

I went to a T14 and landed a job through OCI.

I really like my job right now. I'm doing interesting, substantive work and people treat me with respect. There were a few rough patches early on, during which I drank scotch alone in my underwear every night(think opening scene of Apocalypse Now). But right now I'm surprised how well things are going. I work a fair bit (on track for over 2,000 hours) but it's not a big deal because the hours are predictable.

Nobody asked for job advice, but I'm feeling magnanimous.

No matter how numbing your assignment is, remember to think like a partner -- own the case. If I'm doing doc review I'll not only be fast and thorough, but I'll think about what we're looking for and suggest, or carry out, better ways to find the "hot" docs. I found some key documents by getting creative with search terms and it made a big impression. Everything I do, I try to think about how it ties into our objectives and how I can make everyone's life easier. This approach has served me well so far.

Keep the partner from worrying about you. She must feel confident that every assignment she gives you is in good hands. The sooner she feels this way, the more quickly you advance. I consider myself a pretty bad writer, so I make sure to double or triple check my e-mails, and I quintuple check my memos. I know a 6th year in our office who was recently told by a partner that his writing can't be trusted. I can hardly imagine a more horrible thing for a partner to say to a 6th year lit associate. Don't let it happen to you.

Oh, and I snort the coke off the butt.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I call in-house counsel. This of course assumes I get a larger share of the women as part of my compensation.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

FREE RINGTONEZ posted:

I went to a T14 and landed a job through OCI.

I really like my job right now. I'm doing interesting, substantive work and people treat me with respect. There were a few rough patches early on, during which I drank scotch alone in my underwear every night(think opening scene of Apocalypse Now). But right now I'm surprised how well things are going. I work a fair bit (on track for over 2,000 hours) but it's not a big deal because the hours are predictable.

Nobody asked for job advice, but I'm feeling magnanimous.

No matter how numbing your assignment is, remember to think like a partner -- own the case. If I'm doing doc review I'll not only be fast and thorough, but I'll think about what we're looking for and suggest, or carry out, better ways to find the "hot" docs. I found some key documents by getting creative with search terms and it made a big impression. Everything I do, I try to think about how it ties into our objectives and how I can make everyone's life easier. This approach has served me well so far.

Keep the partner from worrying about you. She must feel confident that every assignment she gives you is in good hands. The sooner she feels this way, the more quickly you advance. I consider myself a pretty bad writer, so I make sure to double or triple check my e-mails, and I quintuple check my memos. I know a 6th year in our office who was recently told by a partner that his writing can't be trusted. I can hardly imagine a more horrible thing for a partner to say to a 6th year lit associate. Don't let it happen to you.

Oh, and I snort the coke off the butt.

How many billable hours are you averaging per month?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

What's the catch?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

What's the catch?

You have to recognize my divinity and that the federal government is controlled by the antichrist through the federal reserve.

Also, childbrides.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

FREE RINGTONEZ posted:

There were a few rough patches early on, during which I drank scotch alone in my underwear every night(think opening scene of Apocalypse Now).

The older I get, the closer I get to the last scenes of Apocalypse Now. I moved my desk out of the office, broke the lights, and now sit in a dark room with a bowl of water on a stool, wiping my bald head with a dirty rag, avoiding errand boys sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

You have to recognize my divinity and that the federal government is controlled by the antichrist through the federal reserve.

Also, childbrides.

can we stock the pantry with kraft mac n cheese

FREE RINGTONEZ
Mar 27, 2004

yadayadayada posted:

How many billable hours are you averaging per month?

Generally around 200. Partners and senior associates have made it pretty clear that that's the number to shoot for if I want to impress people (and put on weight and develop a drinking problem). I will be well over that this month. Last month was really low at 140 hours with much of it being unaccountable time. I knew my hours were low, but was surprised to hear about it from a partner.

Most of my friends at other firms bill around 200 hours a month. A few bill less.

FREE RINGTONEZ
Mar 27, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

The older I get, the closer I get to the last scenes of Apocalypse Now. I moved my desk out of the office, broke the lights, and now sit in a dark room with a bowl of water on a stool, wiping my bald head with a dirty rag, avoiding errand boys sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

My firm has adopted the Apocalypse Now partnership model. You have to kill your partner with a machete, then you own his associates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The former part I guess I can work on, the latter part is unequivocally true and has been known to everyone round here ever since Obama tattooed the numbers 666 under his hair.

Also, childbrides.

Careful, my ephebophilia is flaring up... :spergin:

Edit: I would of course claim the position of the camp's swedish chef. Tasty meatballs for everyone!

lipstick thespian fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 20, 2010