Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LeftyChris posted:

Nice ninja,but sort that license plate holder out,sticks out way too far!
I like the dog just chilling in the pick up behind too
Where are you?The US?How come the super unleaded is only 91RON?It's 99 RON over here in the Uk

Octane is measured differently in Europe/Asia than in the US.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

I've always loved the honda 4 into 4 pipes. Is the bike as clean as it looks in the picture?

Hopefully Marv doesn't mind me posting the only thing that comes close to a before shot:

Marv has a well deserved reputation for meticulous attention to detail. The man polished float bowls on a rusted out CB360 to a mirror like finish. He restored the Honda badges and replaced all the roadrashed bits. I'm sure he still has a laundry list of things he wants to do to the bike to make it "Marv Quality."

A pic from the great charging system replacement fiasco!

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 18, 2010

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

LeftyChris posted:

Where are you?The US?How come the super unleaded is only 91RON?It's 99 RON over here in the Uk

ever since i got clued onto fender eliminators, the whole number plate thing drives me loving insane. i hate them. so horrible and unnecessary.

the poo poo thing is, in australia, a road bike must, by law, have a "mudguard" that extends to "45 degrees from the rear axle" with a red reflector and also the 2 side orange reflectors. Lack of the aforementioned items meant my bike got deemed "unroadworthy"

absolute loving joke. i only got stung because the cops couldn't book me for my lack of license plate (fell off on a ride one day, got a piece of paper to cover me) so they just went crazy on my bike so they could sting me for something, fuckers.

australia is the worst country in the world to have owning/modding a bike as a hobby

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

I've always loved the honda 4 into 4 pipes. Is the bike as clean as it looks in the picture?

It's a fairly clean example, but it sat in the corner of the POs garage for the better part of a decade. Typical post-wedding slow death. Moisture collection on the left, rash on the right. I've been slowly attending to the cosmetic and mech/elect about equally. Not the greatest bike ever, but it's the one I lusted after back in the day.

The engine cases/covers are oxidized and faded, so I may attempt to hit them with PJ1. I've heard good things, but I suspect it'd flake pretty quickly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

It's a fairly clean example, but it sat in the corner of the POs garage for the better part of a decade. Typical post-wedding slow death. Moisture collection on the left, rash on the right. I've been slowly attending to the cosmetic and mech/elect about equally. Not the greatest bike ever, but it's the one I lusted after back in the day.

The engine cases/covers are oxidized and faded, so I may attempt to hit them with PJ1. I've heard good things, but I suspect it'd flake pretty quickly.

Awesome. You should post a thread about the work you're doing on it. :)

xkem posted:

ever since i got clued onto fender eliminators, the whole number plate thing drives me loving insane. i hate them. so horrible and unnecessary.

the poo poo thing is, in australia, a road bike must, by law, have a "mudguard" that extends to "45 degrees from the rear axle" with a red reflector and also the 2 side orange reflectors. Lack of the aforementioned items meant my bike got deemed "unroadworthy"

absolute loving joke. i only got stung because the cops couldn't book me for my lack of license plate (fell off on a ride one day, got a piece of paper to cover me) so they just went crazy on my bike so they could sting me for something, fuckers.

australia is the worst country in the world to have owning/modding a bike as a hobby

All of those laws exist in the US but you'd basically have to tell a cop to go gently caress his mother for him to write you up on all of them...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Yeah, I've never heard of anyone having any problems as long as their plate is pretty much at the back of the bike, and not parallel to the ground or anything ridiculous. I've heard of numerous warnings & tickets for people that mount it a foot back under the tail, and at a poorly visible angle etc.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm lusting after the blue version of this. My wife is all "not right now" but I'll make her come around. I just need a good story about almost dieing because my 250 doesn't have enough power or something.

LeftyChris posted:

Someone already pointed out the rating difference, but there's also a regional difference. Out West the highest octane rating you can get at the pump is 91 octane (96 RON). Here in the East 93 octane (98 RON) is normally the highest, but some specialty stations have 100 octane (106 RON) or 110 octane (116 RON).

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Marv Hushman posted:

'83 Honda Nighthawk 750. More staying power than A Flock of Seagulls, and slightly more horsepower.

Mmph, I love those things.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Z3n posted:

:words:

True that, my bike and accompanying motorcycle riding attire aren't what I'd call 'discreet'. I kind of stand out, plus the whole lack-of-number plate surely had the po-po frothing at the mouth for some good ol' fashioned cops-and-robbers style motorchase worthy of 6 o'clock news helicopter footage. (edit: in that, I was thinking to myself the other day, man if I WERE to get into a chase with a cop, I'm thinking the cops are gonna love it, you can't tell me a cop doesn't get a kick out of giving chase to a dude in a car/on a bike, if I got pulled over I'd say something like "you gotta admit... you had fun chasing me. It's why you took this job")

As the story goes;

- number plate falls off on way home from massive day ride

- notice plate missing, go straight to cop station and get lost property form/receipt to show po-po who may pull me over; replacement plate is like $15 or something

- me being a lazy gently caress and a total idiot decide to take full advantage of my 'loss' and haul rear end around town on freeways etc with my newfound 'freedom' of not having to care about speed cameras, as fast as I possibly can, with a naughty glee in the back of my mind that if I were to get chased I could probably outrun them and have a story to tell my grandkids should I survive long enough to have them.

- on a day I was actually behaving, riding to actually get my number plate replaced, pulled over to make sure my credit card/documents were in my bag

- undercover cop car loving SCREAMS in front of me, barely missing me, parking diagonally across the road

- cops jump out screaming "GET OFF THE BIKE GET OFF THE BIKE", rip keys out of ignition and pull me by my summersuit off the bike.

- me, shaken, goes "yeah yeah, cool here's the paperwork", cop says "why hasn't this been replaced? it's been a week", I say I'm lazy, pull some excuse about being away.

- they let me off, but not before they go 'good cop-bad cop' and go "say, that exhaust doesn't look stock"

- start going over my bike, picked out stupid poo poo (listed in above post), give me canary sticker. gently caress.

- cops also tell me I was lucky I was pulled over, they told me they don't take chances when it comes to these scenarios. (Melbourne cops are like the LAPD/Gestapo of Australia or something) They don't give you the courtesy of coming up behind you with sirens telling you to pull over, they loving run you off the road or use any means necessary to get you immobilised. They say this because of the simple fact that a cop car stands no chance against a bike. Which sounds loving extreme to me and I'm not sure if he was just trying to bullshit/scare me?? How hosed would it be if they run me off the road, wreck my bike and get me all injured only to find out I had correct documentation and was in fact breaking no law (at the time of actually being injured at least, hehe)

Umm... so basically I fixed everything (replacing stock pipe is a 5 minute job" but I kind of hosed up the rear fender when I did the eliminator and it's a real bitch to put back on, thinking of just bolting a rubber flat to the back of the number plate.

** also, when asked about the pipe, I said it should be legal and he goes "start the bike" and I turn it on and he says "do you hear that?" I said "what?", he goes "no vehicle on the road should be any louder than our car" (undercover cop car is a Ford Falcon XT) to which I was thinking "so you're basically saying that more than half the cars on the road today are illegal as they are sold??"

Meh, stupid loving laws. As our motorbike instructor told us; "be loud, be heard, be safer"

I know that when I'm driving and a bike went past me, as long as it wasn't a loving harley with a 300dB+ exhaust system, I would prefer to hear a bike riding behind me/alongside in a blind spot than a bike with an exhaust to make it as inaudible as possible... gently caress

does my head in.

and sorry, wasn't aware that same laws existed in the US, or anywhere, but reading a lot of articles/magazines from dudes who have lived/ridden/toured around other countries say that laws in Australia are designed in every way to make riding as unenjoyable as possible and loving hard to have fun without breaking any laws.

Maybe I'm just a whiny little bitch. Yeah, I think that's it

/end useless post

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 18, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

xkem posted:

:words:

Holy gently caress. Jack the Smack is no longer the biggest squid on CA! I mean, drat, there's enough things on the road trying to kill us. You don't need to aggro cops.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LeftyChris posted:

I stuck a fender eliminator on it today, and I'm in Arizona.

I kinda worry about them, I lost my plate at some point during a 250 mile ride about a year ago on my F4i because the fender eliminator cracked from vibration. I hadn't even noticed.

Got pulled over doing 120mph in a 65 at like 2am on the freeway by a motorcycle cop, pulled the whole 'no plate? you're a loving stunter, gonna run???' poo poo on me until I got my helmet off and he got close. Turns out the dude was an instructor at a local track day org I'd met about a month prior, he let me go on everything after we talked for about an hour. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 18, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

'83 Honda Nighthawk 750. More staying power than A Flock of Seagulls, and slightly more horsepower.

She's lookin' great! I wanna see you wheelie it through that Stargate behind you.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I stuck a fender eliminator on it today, and I'm in Arizona.

I kinda worry about them, I lost my plate at some point during a 250 mile ride about a year ago on my F4i because the fender eliminator cracked from vibration. I hadn't even noticed.

Got pulled over doing 120mph in a 65 at like 2am on the freeway by a motorcycle cop, pulled the whole 'no plate? you're a loving stunter, gonna run???' poo poo on me until I got my helmet off and he got close. Turns out the dude was an instructor at a local track day org I'd met about a month prior, he let me go on everything after we talked for about an hour. :lol:

That's the SECOND story posted here where being a student at a trackday saved the rider from getting a ticket.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

xkem posted:

That's weird why he just randomly stopped and treated you like an illegal in Arizona.

If you wanna ride like an idiot with a plate, ride at night and cut the wires to your plate light. Then during the day your legal, and at night you become ghost rider or coffin rider or whatever you want your persona to be. My favorite one that we call this one dude is "stickers" cause he has 100 stickers all over his bike, and around 5 of them behind his plate under his seat.

Friday night at 1 AM on the freeway there were 0 cars on the road and had to see how fast I could go with a few friends on a group ride. I went from 80mph to 160mph in around 4 or 5 seconds, shifting only twice.

My bike has straight pipes, so my friend later said it was the loudest thing he's ever heard erupting from a motorcycle. I thought that was cool, maybe he exhaggerated. But the next morning I told a friend about the ride at night and she said "Yea, you woke me up at 1AM when I had work at 5". She lives half a mile from the stretch of freeway I did it on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is this the start of the slow evolution of JTS to a responsible rider? Stay tuned!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Is this the start of the slow evolution of JTS to a responsible rider? Stay tuned!

quote:

I went from 80mph to 160mph in around 4 or 5 seconds,

:crossarms: Hmm?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Jack the Smack posted:

Friday night at 1 AM on the freeway there were 0 cars on the road

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

UserNotFound posted:

Jack the Smack posted:

Friday night at 1 AM on the freeway there were 0 cars on the road

It's kind of telling that this is "responsible."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hey I said "start" and "slow" for a reason.

I figure it's like the first time that basic life came together..."Maybe, just maybe...there is a better way of doing this..."

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Boat posted:

It's kind of telling that this is "responsible."

Nobody said anything about personal responsibility, but certainly "zero cars" is a good number to put in danger :D

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But if I ride with no cars on the road, dem hot bitches ain't gonna see the mad fly wheelies I rip at every stop light.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Nice! Now go around blasting "Panama" on a ghetto blaster strapped to the pillion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Holy gently caress. Jack the Smack is no longer the biggest squid on CA! I mean, drat, there's enough things on the road trying to kill us. You don't need to aggro cops.
He's Australian so they probably have some weird word like "boffin" or some poo poo where we would say squid.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xkem posted:

Last time I got booked the motorcycle copper who pinged me was acting all smug and saying that he could book me for having a fender eliminator because it's not legal or ADR-approved...until I pointed out that his tinted visor wasn't either. Then he shoved the ticket at me and left.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

2003 SV650 w/ dirt bike bar & radiator tubes. Coming from a Ninja 500 this is an incredibly refreshing bike.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's not a dirt bike bar, it's a drag bar.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I've ridden a bike with a drag bar and it sucked for my arm and wrists, it felt all wrong. Get a true dirt bike bar with some actualy bends to it. That bike will be all sorts of comfortable then. Congrats on the new bike too!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I've ridden a bike with a drag bar and it sucked for my arm and wrists, it felt all wrong. Get a true dirt bike bar with some actualy bends to it. That bike will be all sorts of comfortable then. Congrats on the new bike too!

Seconding all of this. You really need to get a proper bar on there, drag bars tend to be the worst of all worlds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah those don't look comfortable at all.

Also, if you want a right side mirror I've got one you can have for shipping.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
agreeing with the tall bars suggestion. I think drag bars are only good on bikes with low seats, like bobbers, but then again I'm biased.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What's a drag bar?

Thanks for the right mirror offer. The grippy part holding the bar, which the mirror is supposed to screw in, got broken off in a crash. The screw hole is gone. I was thinking of bar-end mirrors. After taking the bike out sporadically all night, i've decided this bike is incredibly perfect for me. It has enough power, and braking ability, to seriously haul my 175 pound buddy with me. Insane difference from my Ninja 500. I'm sure in time I will deride the stock SV's braking as I've seen others do, but I'm enjoying it.

It's weird having a Ninja 250 that drowns out Harleys with noise, but an actual sportsbike that's as quiet as my Accord.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

the walkin dude posted:

What's a drag bar?

The type of handlebar that's on your SV. They're used (amazingly) on drag bikes. Dirt bars (or really, normal handlebars) will have a bend in them and be swept back.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Jack the Smack posted:

That's weird why he just randomly stopped and treated you like an illegal in Arizona.

he stopped me because i didn't have a number plate.

btw like the sound of your bike... starting to lean towards an R1/cbr1000RR to strip back... god so many bikes... but I really want to find a v twin to strip

suggestions??

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xkem posted:

btw like the sound of your bike... starting to lean towards an R1/cbr1000RR to strip back... god so many bikes... but I really want to find a v twin to strip

suggestions??

Pretty much every V-twin fighter I've ever seen is a TL (R or s). Firestorms or RC51s don't get much love because of the side-mounted rads, but that said, the ones that do get fightered are pretty loving nice.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I really like those VTR's. They look really nice... might have to do that later, but the CBR's and R1's look insane when they're turned into fighters

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Doctor Zero posted:

She's lookin' great! I wanna see you wheelie it through that Stargate behind you.

Chris Knight posted:

Nice! Now go around blasting "Panama" on a ghetto blaster strapped to the pillion.

Sounds like a plan. And a man, and a canal. I'll have to dig out the cassette for authenticity. Zero, this thing wouldn't wheelie if both McGuire twins were on the back--but blasting through a Stargate is tempting.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

the walkin dude posted:

What's a drag bar?

A place where men go and wear women's clothing. :downsrim:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marv Hushman posted:

Zero, this thing wouldn't wheelie if both McGuire twins were on the back--but blasting through a Stargate is tempting.

We'll have none of that talk around here, mister. Rev it to 10k and dump the clutch, it'll wheelie then.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My dad just finished up his newest project, a 1997 DR650. Bought a discontinued, leftover fairing from Britannia Composites and mounted it. Fancy-pants carb, full exhaust, giant brake rotor that promotes front wheel washouts in sand, TKC80s, gps, Trailtech computer, Cogent Dynamics shock, eibach'd forks, scotts damper, rebuilt engine, and other bits of yellow and black.

He made me take it for the first actual ride, and it wheelies pretty good. Some buffeting on my dirtbike helmet at 60+ but quite nice overall.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryTWMW/DR650Rebuild03

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Korwen posted:

Yes but he's riding a Minsk from Saigon to Hanoi, which is precisely what Hamster did.

Hammond also described it as "the AK-47 of motorcycles," which is flat-out wrong, because these are the most tempermental and unreliable pieces of machinery I have every come across.

Plus they gave up and rode half the country by train. :gay: