Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

grover posted:

The Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy center at Dulles loving KICKS rear end, btw.

Is it easy to get to there from the actual airport? I was thinking of actually taking advantage of my flight benefits and taking a day trip up there to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mobius1B7R posted:

Is it easy to get to there from the actual airport? I was thinking of actually taking advantage of my flight benefits and taking a day trip up there to see it.
It's literally at Dulles, about a mile or so south of the main terminal. There's a shuttle bus between the main terminal and the museum.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...018411&t=h&z=16

grover fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 20, 2010

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mobius1B7R posted:

I've been telling myself that I need to do the same thing for a year or so...still haven't gotten out there :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

A little of both. F-15E Strike Eagles are still in production, so we know what they cost- pretty much what a Eurofighter, F-35, F-22 or any other capable modern fighter costs. Modern fighter aircraft are simply extremely expensive. Stealth is a lot of the cost difference between the F-15 and F-22; the precision and techniques necessary to reduce the RCS are much more expensive than simple sheet metal and rivets. But the survivability stealth brings gives an exponential return on investment vs old technology. The F-15SE Silent Eagle is more expensive than a normal F-15, and really isn't very stealthy at all. Vectored thrust and the new RADAR add costs, too.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/articles/communiques/FighterCostFinalJuly06.pdf

Not to get all D&D on the Sustainable Defense Task Force report, but it was "bipartisan" as it was sponsored by Ron Paul and Barney Frank, both of whom want to make HUGE defense spending cuts, cuts most of the rest of congress are rational enough to know are asinine. So it's no wonder they're recommending deep cuts. I have to wonder why they want to cancel the F-35 and replace it with less capable aircraft that cost more money? Unless they want to go back and buy P-51 Mustangs at about $1M a pop. Cheap! Rather worthless as fighters on the modern battlefield, but we can afford a whole slew of them!

I don't see any scenario where the US buys the Silent Eagle. Boeing's not even bothering to market it, and I think they're smart for it.

But if I had the cash I'd totally pay $1M for a P-51. :fap:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 20, 2010

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

But if I had the cash I'd totally pay $1M for a P-51. :fap:

Gawd me too, but only if it came with wings full of Browning .50cals. :flashfap:

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Was that $1M 1945 dollars though?

FYI: $1,000,000.00 in 1945 had the same buying power as $12,131,966.29 in 2010[1].

[1] http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

jandrese posted:

Was that $1M 1945 dollars though?

FYI: $1,000,000.00 in 1945 had the same buying power as $12,131,966.29 in 2010[1].

[1] http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

No, 1 million today. A P-51 cost the Army Air Force 51,000 dollars back in the day. In fact, an original design requirement was to cost less than 40,000, but they kind of overran that. That's about 620k today.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
That's less than a quarter of the cost of a Predator drone!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/articles/communiques/FighterCostFinalJuly06.pdf

Not to get all D&D on the Sustainable Defense Task Force report, but it was "bipartisan" as it was sponsored by Ron Paul and Barney Frank, both of whom want to make HUGE defense spending cuts, cuts most of the rest of congress are rational enough to know are asinine. So it's no wonder they're recommending deep cuts.

Yeah, I posted it just because I found it interesting that congressional types took to the same ideas the thread did. I think you are overreacting a bit to report's findings, though. I know your feelings about the F-35, but it's not like one of the bullet points was "ELIMINATE THE NAVY." They want to cut a trillion dollars out of the defense budget not because they hate freedom but because the USA's largest expenditure is defense, and you guys spend 50% more on defense now then in 1986. And that's a date after Regan's big military spending increase, and the opponent was the USSR and the Warsaw pact. So if you are interested in reducing government spending in any way, the logical place to start is defense.

Are there any spending cuts in defense you would be for?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I posted it just because I found it interesting that congressional types took to the same ideas the thread did. I think you are overreacting a bit to report's findings, though. I know your feelings about the F-35, but it's not like one of the bullet points was "ELIMINATE THE NAVY." They want to cut a trillion dollars out of the defense budget not because they hate freedom but because the USA's largest expenditure is defense, and you guys spend 50% more on defense now then in 1986. And that's a date after Regan's big military spending increase, and the opponent was the USSR and the Warsaw pact. So if you are interested in reducing government spending in any way, the logical place to start is defense.

Absolute dollars is a pretty lovely way to compare spending now vs decades ago. I'm not sure if you're doing that, or including the cost incurred by two active wars.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Godholio posted:

Absolute dollars is a pretty lovely way to compare spending now vs decades ago. I'm not sure if you're doing that, or including the cost incurred by two active wars.

Yeah, if he's not adjusting for inflation, then we're actually spending less on defense than in 1986.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

Using absolute dollars, or even inflation-adjusted dollars can be misleading; % of GDP is much more meaningful as it reflects that our nation is far wealthier now than in years past. By % GDP, Obama is spending more on defense than Clinton, yet less than virtually any other time since before the Korean war, and doing so while actively fighting two wars.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

jandrese posted:

That's less than a quarter of the cost of a Predator drone!

Wherever you're getting your numbers from is off by about 3.5 million dollars.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

$1 million is a bit less than a quarter of $4.5 million last time I checked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

Using absolute dollars, or even inflation-adjusted dollars can be misleading; % of GDP is much more meaningful as it reflects that our nation is far wealthier now than in years past. By % GDP, Obama is spending more on defense than Clinton, yet less than virtually any other time since before the Korean war, and doing so while actively fighting two wars.

Percentage of GDP is how I measure it, too. Does that chart include the war supplemental funding, or is it the annual budget?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

jandrese posted:

$1 million is a bit less than a quarter of $4.5 million last time I checked.

Your math is impeccable, but the plane just doesn't cost that much. The camera is the largest significant portion of the price. However, it's also the most protected component. The camera is almost always recovered, repaired if necessary and reinstalled in another aircraft. The carbon fiber, electronics and engine are all dirt cheap.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

grover posted:

And the fact that it's lower by GDP makes exactly what difference? Do you think military spending should always be proportional to GDP?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Putting a stake in the ground regarding decisions about defense spending, and then saying "Not to get all D&D but" is intellectually dishonest. This thread should stick to posting pictures of neat aircraft and cool aircraft facts and etc.

If you wanna get on a soapbox about defense budgets from any position, there are other subforums for that kind of discussion. In those subforums, the inevitable contention such discussions bring will not be derailing a thread focused on entirely different subject matter.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

SyHopeful posted:

And the fact that it's lower by GDP makes exactly what difference? Do you think military spending should always be proportional to GDP?

It's just a better gauge on how much we're spending than absolute dollars is all. If I told you that I paid 7,000 a month in rent, you'd think I don't know poo poo about budgeting my money. But if I then turned around and said I make 3 million a year, you might go so far as to think I'm a miser when I could afford a much better apartment than that.

Of course I don't have an argument as to why you should plot is as percent of tax revenue instead of GDP. Probably because we run in a deficit so often that the percentages of other poo poo + military would be greater than 100. So you could probably go by absolute government expenditures, I suppose.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

SyHopeful posted:

That would be a hell of a vector to tie it to. Country prospers, we take out a few countries. We do bad, we bomb them...less?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ApathyGifted posted:

Of course I don't have an argument as to why you should plot is as percent of tax revenue instead of GDP. Probably because we run in a deficit so often that the percentages of other poo poo + military would be greater than 100. So you could probably go by absolute government expenditures, I suppose.
I plot the value of government expenditure as dollar amount against how cool the poo poo they're buying is. Apollo and Star Wars beat the poo poo out of social welfare on that graph, let me tell you!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Putting a stake in the ground regarding decisions about defense spending, and then saying "Not to get all D&D but" is intellectually dishonest. This thread should stick to posting pictures of neat aircraft and cool aircraft facts and etc.

If you wanna get on a soapbox about defense budgets from any position, there are other subforums for that kind of discussion. In those subforums, the inevitable contention such discussions bring will not be derailing a thread focused on entirely different subject matter.

Best username/content post EVER.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Sounds like you're trying to cover for the Military Industrial Complex now, Dwight.

gently caress it: time for a pretty-seaplane m-m-m-megapost. The seaplane, thanks to Mr. Glenn Curtiss who invented it, was a wonderful solution to the realities of a world with few runways but lots of water. Flying boats quickly grew to a scale impossible to achieve with a land-based aircraft. They were truly the flying fish of their era:

Click here for the full 1261x701 image.

Curtiss H-1/H-16

Click here for the full 1600x980 image.

Click here for the full 1200x960 image.

Boeing 314

Sometimes the "flying" part of flying boat was discarded, as the Italians built with little regard to airworthyness:

The era of flying boats came to an end with the advent of jet propulsion and mid-air refueling, but not before Howard Hughes took them to their logical (and lovely) extreme:

The H-4 Hercules, aka the Spruce Goose.

Aside: speaking of Hughes, he certainly had an eye for aesthetics:

H-1 Racer, an almost unbelievably pretty airplane.

This leads me to the Schneider Trophy Racers -- the intra-war battleground for air superiority:

Click here for the full 1792x954 image.

Supermarine S5

Click here for the full 1600x1216 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Supermarine S6B

Click here for the full 640x416 image.

Macchi MC72

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sterndotstern posted:

It's certainly a thing of beauty, but my first thought was:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's certainly a thing of beauty, but my first thought was:

The long nose on the H-1 was a result of Hughes needing room for a lot of fuel to set a transcontinental speed record.

Even with a set of longer-span wings installed for the transcontinental record (a shorter set were fitted for the absolute speed record), there were only 75 gallons of fuel per wing, so the H-1 carried 150 gallons of fuel in two tanks between the cockpit and engine.

Howard Hughes also "borrowed" the engine on the H-1 from the US government. When the aircraft was being designed, Hugues realized that there wasn't an engine then in production that could produce the kind of power he needed, but he had heard about Pratt and Whitney developing an engine for the US Army that might meet his requirements.

Somehow, Hughes managed to convince the US government to let Pratt and Whitney lease him an R-1535 for the H-1 (claiming it was for development of an advanced fighter), at which point he had the engine disassembled in the quest for more horsepower.

Stock, the R-1535 could produce 700hp, but Hughes needed more power than that, so he had the engine modified and spent a fortune fueling the aircraft with (then experimental) 100 octane fuel, which boosted the output to around 1000hp without blowing up the engine.

The tweaks clearly worked, since the H-1 set a landplane speed record of 352mph, followed by a coast-to-coast speed record of 7hrs 28 minutes, averaging 322mph.

As for the "leased" engine? Hughes never paid Pratt and Whitney for the engine, nor did he bother returning it to the US government, and to this day it's still fitted to the H-1, which has been on display in the Smithsonian since 1975.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Sterndotstern posted:

Sometimes the "flying" part of flying boat was discarded, as the Italians built with little regard to airworthyness:

This actually did fly, it just crashed on landing.

Edit: Or it just crashed, since every crash is a landing of some sort.

And I so want to see one now. It would be like a steampunk villian's flying lair.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Sterndotstern posted:

Aside: speaking of Hughes, he certainly had an eye for aesthetics:

H-1 Racer, an almost unbelievably pretty airplane.

My dad was good friends with this airplane's builder and pilot. Sadly he crashed it in a state park after an engine failure, and in an effort to miss - i poo poo you not - a family of campers, he stalled it out at the last minute, rolled it in and was killed. The airplane burned to the ground.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

azflyboy posted:

As for the "leased" engine? Hughes never paid Pratt and Whitney for the engine, nor did he bother returning it to the US government, and to this day it's still fitted to the H-1, which has been on display in the Smithsonian since 1975.

ursa_minor posted:

My dad was good friends with this airplane's builder and pilot. Sadly he crashed it in a state park after an engine failure, and in an effort to miss - i poo poo you not - a family of campers, he stalled it out at the last minute, rolled it in and was killed. The airplane burned to the ground.

Eh?

Unless you're talking about the replica that was built much, much later and which crashed in Yellowstone...

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

82Daion posted:

Eh?

Unless you're talking about the replica that was built much, much later and which crashed in Yellowstone...

That would be the one, obviously - right?. We still have the lawn chairs he let us borrow when we met by chance in Oregon. I saw it a few times in person when he was building it, then only once after it was flying. It was beyond beautiful, perfectly constructed.

Edit: And yes, Yellowstone is a National Park, not a State - my bad.

And double edit: This bugged me, so I had to come back to this post. It somehow annoys me that it's referred to just as a "replica". It wasn't just a replica, at was an H1 Racer. It was a Hughes H1. It wasn't built by Hughes, but for all intents and purposes, it was simply the second one built. The picture above is of that replica. I only got to see if fly once at the Reno Air Races.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 22, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I apologize-I didn't realize that that picture was of the replica. :downs:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

ApathyGifted posted:

It's just a better gauge on how much we're spending than absolute dollars is all. If I told you that I paid 7,000 a month in rent, you'd think I don't know poo poo about budgeting my money. But if I then turned around and said I make 3 million a year, you might go so far as to think I'm a miser when I could afford a much better apartment than that.

I just found it intellectually dishonest that Grover seemed to be asserting that the military hasn't been getting loved lately when according to his own graph we're spending more than ever since WW2, independent of GDP.

Anyway, not going to derail this thread. Somebody do a writeup about the NK-12.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SyHopeful posted:

I just found it intellectually dishonest that Grover seemed to be asserting that the military hasn't been getting loved lately when according to his own graph we're spending more than ever since WW2, independent of GDP.

Anyway, not going to derail this thread. Somebody do a writeup about the NK-12.
Well, now that the derail has devolved into namecalling, sounds like the perfect segue into massive soviet turboprops! They were first built in, what, 1947? And are STILL the post powerful turboprop ever built? Over twice as powerful as the MV-22 Osprey's engines and about 3x more powerful than C-130's.

That said, there are more powerful gas turbines than this, and the F-35's engine does, technically, couple more power into the liftfan shaft than the NK-12 is capable of outputting, but the F-35B's P&W F-135 isn't considered a turboprop.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 23, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I went to the red bull air race in NY on Sunday and took a bunch of pics. Its cool to see all the little modifications the teams have made to their aircraft. There are only two basic airframes being used currently in the series but as you can see in some of the pictures very few of them are exactly the same. Most notable are the big winglets on the yellow Brightling MXS-R flown by Nigel Lamb.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

grover, did you go posting in LF?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I see your high performance air races, and raise you an X-29:

Minto Took posted:

grover, did you go posting in LF?
See, LF would probably have actually made it funny.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 23, 2010

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

grover posted:

I see your high performance air races, and raise you an X-29:

I always thought the X-29 was cool as hell. Would the airframe have any military value?

quote:

See, LF would probably have actually made it funny.

Well that's a shame.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Minto Took posted:

I always thought the X-29 was cool as hell. Would the airframe have any military value?
None whatsoever. (Hence why we don't see any forward-swept fighters, vaporware russian fighters aside.) Would be awesome at air shows, though, wouldn't it?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
grover, you're wrong.

forward swept wing designs have better higher angle of attack behavior then straight or rearward swept wings, and also are more maneuverable. There are drawbacks although, like increased flight loads and needing a computer to help the pilot fly the drat thing in the first place but you can say the same of all modern fighters.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

FullMetalJacket posted:

grover, you're wrong.

forward swept wing designs have better higher angle of attack behavior then straight or rearward swept wings, and also are more maneuverable. There are drawbacks although, like increased flight loads and needing a computer to help the pilot fly the drat thing in the first place but you can say the same of all modern fighters.
Which is precisely why we don't see any FSW fighters (vaporware russian fighters aside), but they would be awesome at air shows. There are some other tradeoffs in transonic flight and stealth, too. But weight was the big one. Takes a lot of structure to make the wings stiff enough to overcome the negative torsional stability of the FSW.

Speaking of vaporware russian fighters:

grover fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grover posted:

Well, now that the derail has devolved into namecalling, sounds like the perfect segue into massive soviet turboprops! They were first built in, what, 1947? And are STILL the post powerful turboprop ever built? Over twice as powerful as the MV-22 Osprey's engines and about 3x more powerful than C-130's.

That said, there are more powerful gas turbines than this, and the F-35's engine does, technically couple power power into the liftfan shaft than the NK-12 is capable of outputting, but the F-35B's P&W F-135 isn't considered a turboprop.

What's the idea behind a turboprop anyway? Why go to the effort of fitting a jet engine to a plane, and then have it spin a propeller rather than move the plane itself?