Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You really want spools or some way of locking the bike in place on the stand in order to use a front stand, but if they're secure you won't have any issues removing the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
...That's why I'm not mad at myself for getting pitbull stands. Even with the regular forklift front stand my bike is completely loving solid when lifted, and easy to lift.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
The front stand has short pegs that slide into holes on the front forks. It didn't feel like the most stable platform out there but I'm a pretty paranoid guy. For all I know it's perfectly fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

The front stand has short pegs that slide into holes on the front forks. It didn't feel like the most stable platform out there but I'm a pretty paranoid guy. For all I know it's perfectly fine.

It's ok, as long as the rear stand can't move around or the swingarm can't slide down the stand causing it to drop off the front stand. A little wiggle is expected with cheaper stands.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Even my pitbull front is a bit wiggly, especially when I used it without the rear stand. I've done some crappy rig ups and nothing has fallen yet (knock on wood).

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I finally got the Husky inspected today, then while off-roading got a wire wrapped around the rear wheel. Check your poo poo after romping in the dirt!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I safety wired one of the bolts that keeps the side stand on. On the Hyper it has a tendency to loosen up causing the steel bolt to gently caress up the threads in the aluminum case.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sold the DRZ today!

Cold hard cash. Delicious. Plus now there's room in the garage to loving move around; or fill with dirt bikes. I haven't really decided.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I installed a Competition Werkes tail chop kit on my Monster, still waiting on the smaller turn signals to complete it. The stock beer tray and fender were broken when I got it, this is a MUCH better replacement!

It's a pretty clean kit, I'm impressed. I used an angle grider with a cut off wheel to chop 6.5 inches of subframe off, replace two stock bolts with longer ones that hold all the pieces in place, and the wire tucks up nicely out of the way.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks good. I used the same thing on my 99 M900, but I went with the clear alternatives integrated rear tail light, then some rizoma signals up front.

To contribute, a few I rode it to Victoria on Vancouver Island to visit my uncle, and he let me keep the bike in the garden and out of the street. I think it really brought the front yard together.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Well tomorrow I will be installing a set of .90kg race tech springs, fork seals and new oil in my forks. Apparently they just started leaking badly on my last ride and the front end literally has nothing but spring to it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I adjusted my carb on my YSR. After I did that I went to start it up and after kicking it over a bunch I got it to fire and run. After it warmed up I put it in gear and slowly let the clutch out and it started going backwards! How the gently caress did I get my engine running backwards? This is a 2 stroke engine in the bike.

I did take the CDI/Magneto parts off the engine the other day to fix a spark issue. Could putting them on backwards do this? I thought that I had put them on the way I took them off. I didn't change the timing either, that involves adjusting some bolts I didn't touch.

I'm going to see if they'll print me off a diagram of the magneto at Yamaha tomorrow.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Nighthawk:

- Reinstalled the front wheel, featuring Tire Mounted Correctly (TM). Thanks to Z3n for the important safety tip. The trip to the Victory/Kaw shop was a bonus.

- Some genius designed the right brake line bracket so that it mounts inside the fender. This would be fine if it weren't an EDGED WEAPON sitting microns away from the sidewall. Makes no sense, and it's not going back in. I'll find a DIY alternative.

- Added air to the front forks to spec. Used a HD pump/gauge designed for touring shocks. Required no special $75 adapter and did not result in an explosion. Yet.

- Used I75 for the shakedown cruise and discovered I didn't quite put the speed sensor back in correctly. DAARRRRRRR.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

I adjusted my carb on my YSR. After I did that I went to start it up and after kicking it over a bunch I got it to fire and run. After it warmed up I put it in gear and slowly let the clutch out and it started going backwards! How the gently caress did I get my engine running backwards? This is a 2 stroke engine in the bike.

I did take the CDI/Magneto parts off the engine the other day to fix a spark issue. Could putting them on backwards do this? I thought that I had put them on the way I took them off. I didn't change the timing either, that involves adjusting some bolts I didn't touch.

I'm going to see if they'll print me off a diagram of the magneto at Yamaha tomorrow.

If you kick a 2 stroke just right you can make it run backwards. Just try it again. CDI/magneto can't make it run backwards, you just happened to kick it in such a fashion that the crank ended up turning the wrong way.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Z3n posted:

If you kick a 2 stroke just right you can make it run backwards. Just try it again. CDI/magneto can't make it run backwards, you just happened to kick it in such a fashion that the crank ended up turning the wrong way.

Hmm, well on the subject of starting it. If I try to push start it, it doesn't even try to fire. When I kick it I have to kick it over quite a bit before it fires. Some times it does kick back. I also never had this problem kick starting or push starting it before.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Nighthawk:

- Reinstalled the front wheel, featuring Tire Mounted Correctly (TM). Thanks to Z3n for the important safety tip. The trip to the Victory/Kaw shop was a bonus.

- Some genius designed the right brake line bracket so that it mounts inside the fender. This would be fine if it weren't an EDGED WEAPON sitting microns away from the sidewall. Makes no sense, and it's not going back in. I'll find a DIY alternative.

- Added air to the front forks to spec. Used a HD pump/gauge designed for touring shocks. Required no special $75 adapter and did not result in an explosion. Yet.

- Used I75 for the shakedown cruise and discovered I didn't quite put the speed sensor back in correctly. DAARRRRRRR.

Let me guess, the speedo needle bounced somewhere between 25 MPH and 100 MPH. "Well I'm sure my speed falls somewhere between those two extremes."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

Hmm, well on the subject of starting it. If I try to push start it, it doesn't even try to fire. When I kick it I have to kick it over quite a bit before it fires. Some times it does kick back. I also never had this problem kick starting or push starting it before.

What did you adjust on the carb? As my old mechanic friend says...if it's broken, the first place to look is the last thing you fixed. Is it possible it's not seated correctly or you have an air leak or something?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks good. I used the same thing on my 99 M900, but I went with the clear alternatives integrated rear tail light, then some rizoma signals up front.

To contribute, a few I rode it to Victoria on Vancouver Island to visit my uncle, and he let me keep the bike in the garden and out of the street. I think it really brought the front yard together.

I wanted to get the integrated brake/signals, but tires, cleaning up the carb, registration, insurance, and having ANY signals has been my priority. I'm gonna have to have the rear shock rebuilt, but I'll have plenty of money left over for fancy bits eventually.

Also, it was 90 and humid when I did the tail chop, so I bought an angle grinder and cutoff wheel instead of sweating my rear end off with my hacksaw. Totally worth the $40.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Z3n posted:

What did you adjust on the carb? As my old mechanic friend says...if it's broken, the first place to look is the last thing you fixed. Is it possible it's not seated correctly or you have an air leak or something?

I adjusted the float level, idle screw and air screw. I also checked the needle clip setting. They're all at factory settings now. I blew it out with compressed air a couple weeks ago as well.

The reeds also look like they're in good shape and working properly. I don't think I have an air leak. It seemed to run fine when I was able to start it, just in the wrong direction.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

Let me guess, the speedo needle bounced somewhere between 25 MPH and 100 MPH. "Well I'm sure my speed falls somewhere between those two extremes."

More like 0 and 5. And it also drives the odo, so that's frozen too.

Interesting, because by all accounts they went to a 150 mph speedo as part of the model year change in '83, and this one has an 85 mph unit. Methinks it may not be original, because it reflects approx 20K miles and I just don't think the bike saw that much road.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Installed the Speedohealer in the 636 finally. Stupid thing, I had to take the gas tank off and solder everything. It's a version 4 speedohealer, yet still isn't plug and play. What have they been doing for the past 3 versions?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I went to Yamaha earlier today and got the magneto coil diagram printed out. Turned out that I had put the coils in backwards. I reinstalled them the correct way and the bike started right up. I'm pretty happy that I don't have to worry about what's wrong with it anymore.

I also worked a bit more on the total loss lighting for the YSR after I got it running. I got power to the turn signals so far but none to the headlight or brake light.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Had someone back into it in the Fred Meyer's parking lot, subsequently knocking it over and messing up the paint and windscreen :smith:. Fortunately they did the responsible thing and stayed to give me their insurance info.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Had a mechanic in the bay area come over and did a valve check on my GS, found out the exhaust valve on cylinder #2 was super tight, like going into negative clearance, so basically the exhaust valve was staying open all the time, pretty much explains why the bike was running like poo poo. So after a bit of cursing managed to hold the shim bucket down, and pried the little shim out. Also had the carbs synced.

Took it for a test ride, AMAZING, no more hesistation at idle/low rpms, and mainly, no more stalling out when coming to a stop. Best 100$ ever spent.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Took my '08 zx-10r to my mechanic for an oil change/filter clean/new brake fluid and to check on some funny vibrations i've been feeling through the bars. The brakes have also been noisy even though i changed my pads a few months and 3000kms ago. Actually they were noisy when i was still on the stock pads.

The bike is a year and half old, mileage is 17000km and i change the oil every 3000km.

Turns out my front wheel bearings needed replacing, and my left front rotor is out of shape. Not warped in the usual sense either, it's just not round. More of an oval shape. Weird.

I'm probably going to replace the rotors with the new Braking SK directional ones. http://www.brakingusa.com/product-Street.aspx

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

infraboy posted:

Had a mechanic in the bay area come over and did a valve check on my GS, found out the exhaust valve on cylinder #2 was super tight, like going into negative clearance, so basically the exhaust valve was staying open all the time, pretty much explains why the bike was running like poo poo. So after a bit of cursing managed to hold the shim bucket down, and pried the little shim out. Also had the carbs synced.

Took it for a test ride, AMAZING, no more hesistation at idle/low rpms, and mainly, no more stalling out when coming to a stop. Best 100$ ever spent.

To hold the bucket down, do this:

- Remove the spark plug
- rotate the cam fully down so the valve is wide open
- shove a folded over, medium size zip tie in the spark plug hole. If your cylinder head is anything like my XJ650, it should jam itself between the valve and valve seat quite nicely
- rotate the cam 180 deg and remove the shim
- removal is reverse of installation (duh)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

AnnoyBot posted:

To hold the bucket down, do this:

- Remove the spark plug
- rotate the cam fully down so the valve is wide open
- shove a folded over, medium size zip tie in the spark plug hole. If your cylinder head is anything like my XJ650, it should jam itself between the valve and valve seat quite nicely
- rotate the cam 180 deg and remove the shim
- removal is reverse of installation (duh)

Holding the bucket down wasn't an issue, more like trying to pry the shim out of it since it was quite literally in loving NEGATIVE clearance. Also the exhaust valves are a pain in the rear end to work around because of a big piece of metal thats part of the frame is quite in the way.. Wasn't too bad though, funny because we had to go from a 2.75 shim to a 2.50 shim, which is a big gap to go to.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

raffie posted:

Took my '08 zx-10r to my mechanic for an oil change/filter clean/new brake fluid and to check on some funny vibrations i've been feeling through the bars. The brakes have also been noisy even though i changed my pads a few months and 3000kms ago. Actually they were noisy when i was still on the stock pads.

The bike is a year and half old, mileage is 17000km and i change the oil every 3000km.

Turns out my front wheel bearings needed replacing, and my left front rotor is out of shape. Not warped in the usual sense either, it's just not round. More of an oval shape. Weird.

I'm probably going to replace the rotors with the new Braking SK directional ones. http://www.brakingusa.com/product-Street.aspx

I'm curious as to what the change is going to be going from stock to those rotors...my experience with aftermarket rotors has been very positive overall. Just got an EBC contour rotor for the DRZ, waiting on my vesrah pads to get here to install it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I decided to put the Vance & Hines slip-on I got with my VFR. Got the stock muffler off (and immediately noticed a significant weight difference), then went to put the V&H on, and after struggling to get it to go on, noticed I had messed up the muffler gasket. Ripped that off and now I have to order a new one. :(

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1998-honda-motorcycle-vfr800fi-interceptor-muffler/o/m2795sch92523

Part 7. Guess I'll order new hardware while I'm at it since all the bolts and the collar are a bit rusty. =/

Also bought three gallons of Rotella T6 since you can get them for $20 total after rebate if here's an Advance Auto near you.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 19, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I killed a bunch of dragonflies with it

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
New Farkle day is the best Farkle day :woop:

My Happy Trail panniers just came in, rendering my F650 useless to me.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

N183CS posted:

My Happy Trail panniers just came in, rendering my F650 useless to me.
I just did my first longish ride (350 miles) since installing the same model panniers on my klr650. Can't be happier with them. Happy Trail makes a good product.

...They are now covered in bugs :D

[edit] oh right pics

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 20, 2010

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
They really are better than any boxes I have seen. I looked at the touratechs and they were poo poo, looked like a 5 year old made them. Jesses have crappy latches and are much more vulnerable to crash damage. Plus I like the canyon cut, I;d hate to have a pannier catch the road while I'm dragging pegs. :snoop: My F650 sustained a medium speed crash that threw the rider across the road. The box caught a tree and flung the bike, all it did was put a small dent in one box. The seal on the new box is much better than the old one, much tighter fit. My only complaint is the hardware they supplied was way too short, I couldn't even get a nut on without a washer so I had to buy my own, and the holes they pre drilled were kinda crappy. Minor stuff for an awesome box for not a lot of money though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered some renthal bar ends and frame sliders for the bike, and a fieldsheer rainsuit for me.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I've been battling a lean running condition on my '82 XJ650RJ Seca for weeks (months/years) now. Tonight I achieved victory.

I did a sync with a Carbtune (which has utterly hosed things up on previous occasions) and got it more or less right this time. But more importantly I replaced the ossified rubber boots on the sync port nipple things with homebrew airtight covers.

For the first time ever, I arrived home from my ~10 mile test ride with the engine not racing, the throttle responding correctly and everything hunky dory. I'm pretty goddamn stoked right now.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

sklnd posted:

I just did my first longish ride (350 miles) since installing the same model panniers on my klr650. Can't be happier with them. Happy Trail makes a good product.

...They are now covered in bugs :D

[edit] oh right pics

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

You have the best plate #. Also how do you like the free float front disc? My buddy swears by his, but his KLR has 19" rims and looks like a monster supermoto, and he rides it as such even though he's 71 years old.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Its better than the stock one, that's for sure.

I'm no longer nervous about short yellow lights on 60mph highways.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

sklnd posted:

I'm no longer nervous about short yellow lights on 60mph highways.

Do you live in Fairbanks, Alaska? That's the only place I've ever seen one of those.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Nah, Boulder Colorado (note Colorado license plate and proximity to Wyoming in previous picture). They're all over the place on state highways out here.

I've also seen them in West Texas, though usually in tandem with a warning light a quarter mile back that would go off when its green but will change before you get to the light.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Went on a ride with my ~70 year old mechanic friend. He rides an 04 GSXR 1000, me an 89 GSXR 750. It was awesome. Old guys are the best riders.

After we got back home, I complained about my suspension and he took a few wrenches to it and found out that the front forks had been adjusted all the way so it was as stiff as it could be. When he turned the screws out, the front actually moved like it had suspension. I rode it home and the feeling is so much better. I love old mechanic friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
1300 km circle route over two days. Not Iron Butt material, but not bad for me.