Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I want to get in on this.

1. The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

2. 8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Same as above, and I enjoy Kubrick.

4. Raging Bull - Another classic on my shelf that I haven't gotten around to.

5. Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

6. Paris, Texas - I've heard a lot about this one. The only Wim Wenders I've seen is Wings of Desire and I thought it was great.

7. Andrei Rublev - I've enjoyed every Tarkovsky I've seen so far. Got about an hour into this one once a couple years ago when I was pulled away. Haven't gotten back to it yet.

Hellbunny posted:

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

Watch this Hellbunny. If you're up for a double feature I'd also highly recommend watching Sanjuro afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neilpeartnoy
May 21, 2006

FancyMike posted:

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Same as above, and I enjoy Kubrick.

Now you have an excuse to watch this. Hopefully you're not an ill twelve year old who is hepped up on cough syrup like I was the first time I saw it.

My list:

1.The 3rd Man - How did I get through film school and not see this?

2.Chinatown - I've watched the first half, but got interrupted with something mundane and never finished it.

3.Bonnie and Clyde - This one always slips my mind when I am looking for something to throw on the Netflix que.

4.Midnight Cowboy - I don't know why I have not seen this movie.

5.Last Tango in Paris - I like Brando a lot, especially early Brando.

6.The Apartment - I have had multiple people tell me this is a must see and I like Jack Lemon.

7.MASH - I respect Altman, but I tend to not like his stuff.

8.Network - Started watching this, but had to go back to work and never finished it.

9.Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? - I'm out of excuses as to why I haven't seen something.

10.Life is Beautiful - I used to really hate Roberto Benigni, I'm over it now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Neilpeartnoy, watch Midnight Cowboy. I haven't seen it, but it's one that I have been wanting to watch.

I just finished Shawshank and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Shawshank: I guess the only flaw I could find about this movie was that I have already seen the bulk of this movie on a *sigh* Family Guy episode. If it wasn't for Hoop Dreams, then this would be my favourite movie of 1994.

As for One Flew, well, I enjoyed watching it. Jack Nicholson's performance was amazing. I see that he won the Best Actor award for this, and I must say, it would have been difficult to choose between him and Pacino in '76. I really don't know who I would have picked.

Also, at this time, I am not going to add any more movies to my list. There are still loads of movies I need to watch, but I am just going to wait until I can trim it down to five. Also, I am trying to catch up with Woody Allen films.

quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain:
2. Blade Runner: This seems like something I should have already watched.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca:
5. WALL-E: I re-watched the Toy Story movies the other day, and I am thinking that I need to catch up with Pixar movies. After this, I will probably end up watching Up.

6. Do the Right Thing:
6. The 400 Blows: I have wanted to see this for years. I even have a copy of it, but I just have not gotten around to watching it. I think it's about time.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:
7. Lawrence of Arabia: Hmm, a 3 1/2 hour film...another movie I have avoided because of the run time.

8. The Shawshank Redemption:

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest:

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That number 9 spot is a hot item for you.

KCChiefsDude
Jun 18, 2010

What is the most you ever lost on a coin toss?
I would like to play! I read your rules and I hope I'm following them correctly.

Twin Cinema - I select Raiders of the Lost Ark for you, the first 3 is such a great series.

Now for me, I'm ashamed that I have not seen these films:

The Good, the bad and the Ugly - I just have never been much into Westerns I guess.

One Flew over the Cookoo's Nest - I have no excuse for this movie. I have it on my instand que with netflix, but just keep putting it off for something else.

Casablanca - I don't even know what it's about, but apparently it's one of the best films of all time according to most lists.
Casablanca is at the top of my netflix que and will watch when it arrives

The Graduate - It's just one of those films that I kind of want to see, but I know I'll never get around to it. There is always something newer that I want to watch, even if it won't be nearly as good.

2001: A space Oddity - I love all of the Kubrick films I have seen, but I have not seen this one. I think I tried to watch it once, but I was really tired or something and fell asleep and I don't really recall much of it.

Any of the old James Bonds - I have always somewhat enjoyed the newer Bond movies, but I have never ever seen any of the one's with Sean Connery or any of the older ones, why? I don't know.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Like I said before, just haven't ever gotten into westerns. But many might say that I should turn in my man-card if I haven't seen them.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I usually love a good sci-fi film, but this one has eluded me. There really isn't any reason why I haven't seen it, I just never get around to catching up on the classics. I'm only 30!

Unforgiven - from what I hear, I should def be ashamed that I haven't seen this one. But what can I do? I never got into westerns, but after I beat the game Red Dead Redemptions, I have this new found interest in Westerns, but I know that I will never get around to seeing these classics.

It's a Wonerful Life - every time Christmas comes around, this is all over the TV channels. If I ever mention that I have never seen it, the reaction is always the same "YOU HAVENT SEEN ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE!!???!!" I guess I should be ashamed of myself.

KCChiefsDude fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 19, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

KCChiefsDude you're going to watch Casablanca too.

Watched Yi-Yi, it's not top of the decade good in my book, but certainly a strong film and possibly one I'd get more out of rewatching it in a few years. My two main issues were that it was a little long and took too detached a view of the characters. The exploration of different phases of life was interesting and I liked the way it shifted between the characters pretty seamlessly, even though it meant that for a while I had trouble connecting them all together.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

The Last Emperor The only Best Picture winner of the past 60 years that I haven't seen, it's one of those films I always felt I'd watch eventually but wasn't an urgent interest.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

KCChiefsDude posted:

2001: A space Oddity

I made this same mistake typing up my list. Caught it in the preview though. I'll be watching that one tonight.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Peaceful Anarchy, I have always regarded your list as a mindfuck and pitied any person who had to recommend a film to you. As luck would have it, that is now me! So, enjoy...The Last Emperor. I hope it's good.

marioinblack posted:

VorpalBunny you need to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, while I like Once Upon a Time in the West a little bit more, I would recommend watching The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly first.

I just finished The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly last night. It was my first Blu-Ray from Netflix, and it looked awesome. So many genre conventions in one film, especially the sweeping landscapes and that score! Good film, though I can't call it great. I may, after I view Once Upon a Time in the West and absorb it all while waiting for my next recommendation.

A few things: the titles were amazing, as is the opening scene. And the line "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk!" is so perfect for every action movie ever made. I also liked how there was a credit for "script girl" on the film.

I couldn't help but notice a resemblance between young Clint Eastwood and Michael Vartan.

My revised and still shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Goodfellas - after all the talk in the TVIV thread on Community and the great homage to the film, I meant to add it to my Netflix queue, but my list is rather full and I'll see it eventually.
3) Paths of Glory - I recently saw 2001 on the big screen and loved it. I need to catch up on my Kubrick, this and Barry Lyndon are the only two major works of his I have yet to see. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over a few weeks ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Sound of Music, Singin In the Rain, and musicals in general - I just can't get into them.
5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and westerns in general - I like the few westerns I have seen, but I've just been slow to catch up.
6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work. I might be catching this on the big screen later this week. (fingers crossed)

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 20, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

VorpalBunny posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, I have always regarded your list as a mindfuck and pitied any person who had to recommend a film to you. As luck would have it, that is now me! So, enjoy...The Last Emperor. I hope it's good.

There's some not-so-great (IMHO) stuff on his list, but it's all worth checking out.

Shrek finally came in at the library, so I'll be watching it sometime this week. Then I'm redoing my list, I don't think "most voted on movies at iMDB" is going to work out for me. Maybe I'll go with my highest PSI's at Criticker.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

There's some not-so-great (IMHO) stuff on his list, but it's all worth checking out.

Shrek finally came in at the library, so I'll be watching it sometime this week. Then I'm redoing my list, I don't think "most voted on movies at iMDB" is going to work out for me. Maybe I'll go with my highest PSI's at Criticker.

No changing your list. :colbert:

Okay, fine, but only because it's so god awful. :smugbert:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
No order here, but here we go.

1. The Godfather - Haven't seen any, don't really care too either. Could it be great? Sure. Don't think I'll ever get around to seeing it.

2. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I like Eastwood, but I've never seen it. I act like I have all the time, but I need to get around to it.

3. Casablanca - Old movies do nothing for me.

4. Se7en - Now this is embarrassing. Everything I read points to it being awesome with Pitt and all, but haven't seen it. Always manage to miss it when it's on TV.

5. Groundhog Day - Is this great? Dunno, haven't seen it. Can't stand Bill Murray (sans Ghostbusters), so I don't care.

6. Raging Bull - It's great, I know. Another time thing, I'm sure I'll catch it eventually.

I'll stop at six.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Anatomy of a Murder

Man, what happened to the courtroom drama? We went from movies like this and 12 Angry Men to loving Erin Brockovich.

I didn't realize beforehand that George C. Scott was in it. As well as a typically stunning performance by Jimmy Stewart (recalling on a few occasions both his own performance in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and that of his friend Henry Fonda in Young Mr. Lincoln - easy charm and a willingness to break protocol and rant and rave in the middle of a trial), Scott plays against type - I guess because he didn't have a type yet - and puts in great work as a "big city lawyer." Scott's one of the unsung treasures of American cinema, and every time I see him I'm blown away by how good he is. Lee Remick is as beautiful as she is inscrutable. Joseph Welch, the man who took down McCarthy, is terrific as well, one of the most realistic and charming judges in film. Duke Ellington's score is terrific - that man could loving play.

I also really appreciated how the defendant was kind of a prick, and probably should have been arrested. Not a lot of movies have the balls to put you on the wrong side.

I have basically nothing bad to say about this movie. The two hours and forty five minutes flew by, and the lack of flashbacks was goddamn inspired.

VorpalBunny, hit up Paths of Glory. For my money, it's Kubrick's best.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Ben Hur Either version. Pick a version.

The Grand Illusion I even own the fucker and I haven't watched it yet.

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
penismightier, it's time for you to watch The Grand Illusion. It's Renoir's best and one of the most beautiful films I've seen.

I just finished City of Lost Children. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

I watched Lonesome Dove, too, because I just bought the drat thing. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The General - I love Buster Keaton, but I've never come across this.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 20, 2010

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Finally saw a Yojimbo and...well really, what can I say? It's Kurosawa and Mifune at their finest, that all you really need to know!

Though I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about the fact that it's a blatant propaganda piece for the idea of "bushido" that dominated japan during and before the war. Ehh, nothing's perfect.

My updated list:
1 The Seventh Seal, or any other movie by Bergman for that matter Really, I have no excuse. I'm a swedish film nerd for christ sake, Bergman should be my god!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Stalker Who the gently caress is Andrej Tarkovskij? Since I have no idea, I wanna check him out. This one seems to one of his better films, so I might as well start here.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Cidade de Deus (City of god... I think?) Again, I had this on DVD but I lost it when I moved. Damm shame.

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

hmmm... dear me.

I haven't seen any of these, what do I do now?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

VorpalBunny posted:

Yeah I kind of feel sorry for people having to pick a movie for me, but it's not that bad. They're all movies I want to see for some reason or other so even if I don't like them it's not a big deal. And other than when I had The Letter Never Sent nothing on the list is that obscure and maybe seeing them on my list will make someone check them out. I just happen to have worked on making sure to see the most popular/acclaimed films, 4 years ago my list would have been much like everyone else's here, except Casablanca, how can you people not have seen Casablanca?

I shall be watching The Last Emperor tomorrow afternoon.

FitFortDanga posted:

How about a compromise like most voted films on Imdb or criticker but with a minimum score. It'll keep stuff like The Prestige, which you really should watch, and get rid of Transformers which you really shouldn't.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Hellbunny posted:

hmmm... dear me.

I haven't seen any of these, what do I do now?

Tell him to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Also you should watch Liberty Valance yourself.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

penismightier posted:

VorpalBunny, hit up Paths of Glory. For my money, it's Kubrick's best.

I thought Netflix was lying when it said the film is 87 minutes long. I verified it on IMDB - yup, 87 minutes.

WTF, Kubrick? I was expecting another 3-hour epic, but this I could bang out later this evening! How refreshing.

And I was just busting your balls, Peaceful Anarchy. You took it like a champ. :tipshat:

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Tell him to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

ok.

Wolfgang Pauli, watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Now who's gonna tell me what movie to watch?

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Just finished Raiders of the Lost Ark, and, to be honest, I'm lost as to why I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I mean, occultism and Nazis? Action sequences with a whip? Harrison Ford being all manly? It seemed like I would love this, but for some reason I was really underwhelmed. I might come back to it in a while and see if I was just in a weird mood watching it or something.

Anyway, the updated list:

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

My shameful list, made even more shameful by the fact that I'm a goddamn film studies student:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this.

And the most egregious...10. Star Wars. I didn't see it when I was a kid, and now I just really don't care. I feel like after Spaceballs, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and all the pop culture references and hullabaloo over the prequels, I already know everything I need to know.

Also, Hellbunny, I'm torn between Seventh Seal and Jackie Brown, but since you're Swedish, go watch The Seventh Seal.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Vertigo Ambrosia, it's time for you to continue on with The Godfather.

Okay next goon, help me pick my next netflix rental.

1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear:)
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it's the movie of the month, so...
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films, pick one and I'll give it a try.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Saw Fitzcarraldo. Goddamn. It is definitely a flawed gem, but that doesn't mean it's not amazing. The film does a lot of wandering, and frankly as far as A-B-C storytelling goes it doesn't quite work, but that adds to the appeal. I love films where you genuinely don't know which way it can go, and Fitzcarraldo is one of those films, and what's really great is that by the time you get ninety minutes in you're just as wound up in the dream as Fitzcarraldo himself. What's incredible, and obvious, is that it's really a boat going up a hill. It's literally a huge boat being pulled up a hill. It's terrific. Whatever flaws the film has, the sheer spectacle of a boat going up a hill is more than enough to fill the gap, as well as the amazing location-shooting. Fitzcarraldo is a very location-y film. You can feel the Amazon, and the grime and dirt, and all the bugs. It's dangerous and frightening and it oozes off the screen. I wish this was on Blu-Ray because it's really gorgeous at times. I might have to sit on this one for a while because it's hard for me to congeal my thoughts. All that comes to me are images like the bugs gathering around the lamp, or Fitzcarraldo waking up surrounded by children, or him clenching the cigar in his teeth.

Vertigo Ambrosia, you also get to watch Fitzcarraldo. If you had picked a different Altman you might be watching Nashville or Short Cuts instead, because they're so much better, but Fitzcarraldo is good and it's not soon-to-be-on-Blu-Ray like Chinatown. Also, I'm peeved that you beat me to Hellbunny, I wanted to make him watch Dancer In The Dark. :argh:

edit: fuuuuuck. JVO, I'm annoyed at you for that and hey, you get to watch Shakespeare In Love. Have fun!

Updated list, replaced Fitzcarraldo with The Searchers.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Run Lola Run - This has been on my Netflix queue for like five years. I think I added it because I liked Memento and was all hopped up to see more films that played with timelines. Anyways, apparently it's really good.

3) Downfall - I loving own this, why haven't I seen it? A: I keep putting it off because, you know, three hour Hitler docudrama? mmmmeeehhhhh

4) The 39 Steps/Notorious - Fancy Hitchcock double feature! I know nothing about either film but apparently they're classics or something and I should, like, watch them. I actually own Notorious on VHS, but there's a nice new DVD out. Another "don't know why I've put it off".

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Searchers - Apparently this is like A+ western. I'm not a huge fan of westerns, and actually I don't think I've even ever seen a Ford film. But it's on Blu-Ray, and I like Blu-Ray and this is number 9 on the They Shoot Pictures Don't They list.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I love Shakespeare in Love.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MHB: You get the Hitchcock double feature! Notorious is elegant as gently caress and 39 Steps is about as much fun as you can have with a movie. EDIT: OR if you're feeling ballsy you can swap The 39 Steps out for the similar but for my money a little better The Lady Vanishes

The Grand Illusion I should have watched this years ago. Stroheim is inimitable - that neck brace and stare are unsettling, but those little moments like that apology after the escape attempt paint a hell of a picture - maybe just the rich helping the rich, but there's a great deal of humanity all the same.

It wasn't really what I was expecting - I was gearing up for something a lot more somber and humorless. Moreso - MUCH moreso, if you ask me - than The Rules of the Game, Renior creates some wonderful, touching characters and some incredibly human moments - like when they all stop and stare at the man in drag or when they sing La Marseillaise (which just had to be an inspiration for that scene in Casablanca).

I got two on the same page. I'm loving flying here.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Ben Hur Either version. Pick a version.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 20, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Someone better make you watch The Red Shoes soon, every time I see this I wish it was my turn.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm surprised it hasn't been picked yet - as far as I've heard it's like the best movie on my list.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's coming to Blu-Ray in late July, which is why it's not on my list.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Sadly, I too have not seen The Red Shoes, so I can't recommend it (I may add it to my list down the road), but how about some Charlton Heston? Ben Hur for penismightier.

Watched Shakespeare In Love, and I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Although I am perplexed to why this received so much Oscar love. Judi Dench wins best supporting actress for 5 minutes of screen time where she basically plays Judi Dench? It just felt like an above average romantic comedy more than anything, but as that it was entertaining at least.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear:)
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it's the movie of the month, so...
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
9)Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films, pick one and I'll give it a try.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Hey, JVO, watch Rain Man.

Just finished watching It's a Wonderful Life. Really liked it, though as I had been warned by many people, it was a little sappy. As always, James Stewart delivers (I could listen to him talk all day :allears:), and by the end of the movie you really feel for the character and hope that things start going right for him. And hey, whaddaya know, they do.

Updated list:

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Tokyo Story I've heard of it, but don't really know anything about it.

3. Bicycle Thieves Heard of it, never really been tempted to watch it.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Sunrise Same as The Conformist

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower watch Tokyo Story.

Watched The Last Emperor it was ok, above average even. Nice photography, though some of the camerawork is not so great and the best compositions are ruined by Statoro's stupid cropping. The story's interesting but felt lacking in many places, especially for a film that's as long as this one.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Peaceful Anarchy - I haven't seen anything on your list. It's all a bit intimidating honestly. After reading a bit about each of them, I'm going to recommend In a Year of 13 Moons. I hope you enjoy it. It sounds interesting, but also bleak and likely depressing.

I just finished Seven Samurai. I honestly didn't enjoy it all that much. The movie spends nearly all of the movie developing the Seven Samurai and certain prominent townspeople, and the ending just sort of shows up after nearly 3 hours lingering around watching the day to day lives of the samurai and the townspeople. I don't mind a long movie when it all of the scenes feel necessary or important to the film, but most of the scenes in the movie didn't seem like they added anything to the story or to any of the characters.

It wasn't all bad though. The music in the movie was really fantastic. It highlighted both the tense and comical scenes wonderfully. Kikuchiyo steals pretty much any scene he is in and I found myself wishing the entire movie was all about him.

My list:
1)The Man Who Wasn't There - I love the Coen brothers. This movie has been on my instant queue for a while but I haven't sat down to watch it yet. Looks great.

2) The Seventh Seal - The premise for this movie sounds fascinating. I started to watch it one afternoon when I was tired and fell asleep immediately.

3) In Cold Blood - Have heard this is good, but it's not a movie the girlfriend would enjoy and we usually watch movies together.

4) The Last Temptation of Christ - I love Scorsese, and this is one of the few movies he's put out that I haven't seen.

5) Rob Roy - A friend tells me that I'd really like this movie. Liam Neeson doesn't disappoint, so I should probably listen to him.

6) The Killing - I tend to enjoy Kubrick's work. Haven't seen this or Lolita and would like to at some point.

7) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? - Have heard it's fantastic.

8) The Lady Vanishes or anything else Hitchcock - I've seen Psycho and Vertigo, but I really want to see some other stuff by him.

9) THX 1138 - I've had this on my netflix instant queue for a while, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I like those space movies that this guy made later on. I also haven't seen American Graffiti, so that could go in here.

10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero) - I've seen Night of the Living Dead, and I've seen the remake of this by Zack Snyder, but I've never seen this one. Love zombie movies though, don't know why I haven't picked this one up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

OH MY GOD BEN HUR IS SO LONG

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's only three and a half hours! :v: Also, The Departed isn't very good. As far as I'm concerned, Scorsese won the Oscar for The Aviator.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

OH MY GOD BEN HUR IS SO LONG

And it feels every minute of it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm just going to pretend it's in Planet of the Apes continuity.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Jolo posted:

2) The Seventh Seal - The premise for this movie sounds fascinating. I started to watch it one afternoon when I was tired and fell asleep immediately.

I just got done watching this and unless I'm blind to it's flaws because I'm swedish or something then it really is a great film. It truly deserves to be regarded as a classic and I can't recommend it enough.

The funny thing is, as bleak and depressing as it is, it also shows a very human and at times funny side that most people won't really tell you about. And it's only 97 minutes long, even if you hate it it will be over soon enough.

My list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Whattup, fellow Swede! :respek: Did your grandad make you watch Bergman too?

Anyway, you should probably definitely watch Miike's Audition, which is both dreamy and surrealistic and creepy and gross, and one of my favorite horror movies ever.

Okay, seeing as my to-watch list is embarrassingly long, here are some of the horror movies that I probably should have seen already.

1. Les Diaboliques - One of those that are always highly rated.
2. The Exorcist - For some reason I feel I'll be disappointed when I actually get around to seeing it.
3. Rosemary's Baby - Loved the novel.
4. An American Werewolf in London - Especially curious about the effects work in this.
5. The Wicker Man - 1977 version, not the remake.
6. The Birds - For some reason, one of the few of Hitchcock's I haven't seen.
7. Evil Dead II - Yeah, I don't know why I haven't seen this.
8. Freaks - I've heard so much about this one, really curious to see what it's actually like.
9. Day of the Woman/I Spit on Your Grave - Supposed to be really brutal and sad, so I haven't been able to get myself to watch it.
10. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - Both a horror classic and a gay cult classic, why haven't I seen this yet?

(Comedy option: Saw)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Firstly, I think this topic is great, very interesting idea.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

4. An American Werewolf in London - Especially curious about the effects work in this.

Secondly, I pick this for you, perhaps not the usual pick, but I think it's a fantastic movie, with amazing effects, and I think it's worth viewing.

1. Jaws:
I honestly have no reason why I haven't watched this, and I have a feeling I would love it, but it's just one that always seems to get forgotten.

2. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

3. Scenes from a Marriage or Fanny and Alexander:
I am not a huge fan of Bergman, but these two look interesting, I just haven't seen either.

4. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

5. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Admiral Goodenough, just out of curiosity, why is your list only horror movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001
Like stee, moanin' ludlow!
zandert33, I'm going to have to pick Jaws for you, if only because its 35th anniversary is currently being celebrated! Depending on where you live, you might even luck out and find a viewing at a theater somewhere. Anyways, it's a bonafide classic. Enjoy!

Here are the five that I picked:

1. It's a Wonderful Life - I've heard about this one for ages from almost everyone in my extended family, but I've never gotten around to seeing it.

2. Spirited Away - I've seen My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Ponyo and enjoyed them all immensely.

3. The Deer Hunter - This is one of those movies that I hear about, think to myself, "hey, this sounds like a movie I'd love", and then promptly forget about until a few months later. Repeat ad nauseum.

4. Trainspotting - I've heard nothing but good things about this surreal drug comedy/drama.

5. Magnolia - Seen Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. Loved them both. Still haven't seen this one for whatever reason.

Clogproof Orifice fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 21, 2010