Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's tribute (honeyburst)
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx

i've been craving a p90 guitar for a long time. and at $849 its cheaper than a regular studio.

Put a deposit for the preorder with sweetwater.
they're a limited run, and production is delayed because of the flood at the gibson factory. i'm also 8 in line with only 7 available, so someones gotta flake in order for me to be able to get one, but thats almost guaranteed to happen because of the long wait time.

I preordered the goldtop on Thursday. Hoping that translates to a shipment some time in the next few weeks or so. It looks like a great piece of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's tribute (honeyburst)
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx

i've been craving a p90 guitar for a long time. and at $849 its cheaper than a regular studio.

Put a deposit for the preorder with sweetwater.
they're a limited run, and production is delayed because of the flood at the gibson factory. i'm also 8 in line with only 7 available, so someones gotta flake in order for me to be able to get one, but thats almost guaranteed to happen because of the long wait time.

Yikes, $849? That's crazy. I love P90s and all, but right now I'm looking for a dual-humbucker guitar. If they made this same model with humbuckers I'd be all over it. Honeyburst plaintop is my favorite Les Paul finish.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
So my mother's boyfriend spent some time in Indonesia 27 or so years ago, and has had one of these (an Angklung) sitting in his closet ever since. I like weird instruments, so he gave it to me. Needs a little repair but all of the tone pipes are intact. Neat little find. Works just like a piano, but unique little sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkMvpSWxKs

So many awesome instruments on this planet.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
Goddamn. My friend is getting married in a month, so I have to fly out to Washington state.
I kinda hope they break up before the wedding so I can refund the plane tickets and buy some of the things I've seen in this thread :smith:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Carbohydrates posted:

...dead photobucket links...

Any chance you could re-post using waffle images? I've been dieing to see this guitar completed since you first posted about it..

The Age of Decay
Mar 17, 2005

I am good at computer,

Got a Sunn Coliseum 300 to top the Emperor.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Bill Posters posted:

Any chance you could re-post using waffle images? I've been dieing to see this guitar completed since you first posted about it..
Whoops, yeah, sorry about that.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

FrequencyBandit posted:

And how does it sound???

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Since I've switched to buying recording-oriented things instead of straight-up gear (pedals, guitars, etc.), I feel like I'm letting down my favorite guitar shops. What in the gently caress?

Buying a new desk on Friday that will (hopefully) let me get more stuff done.

The Age of Decay
Mar 17, 2005

I am good at computer,

Ferrous Wheel posted:

And how does it sound???

HEAVY! Recording a couple doom/sludge tracks this week. I'll post them.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
GuitarPro 6 is out, and if you ever found GuitarPro 5 to be helpful but lacking, GuitarPro 6 is a necessity. 8-string guitars, compound polyrhythms, slap and pop articulations for bass, modeling technology built into the all-new (pretty intuitive) interface, so on and so forth. Absolutely fantastic.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Gorilla Salsa posted:

GuitarPro 6 is out, and if you ever found GuitarPro 5 to be helpful but lacking, GuitarPro 6 is a necessity. 8-string guitars, compound polyrhythms, slap and pop articulations for bass, modeling technology built into the all-new (pretty intuitive) interface, so on and so forth. Absolutely fantastic.

I've heard it can be kind of buggy and corrupt save files from several other people, have you found anything like that? 8 string tabbing alone would make it worth it to me, I just don't want to get it then it be a buggy mess.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Thorpe posted:

I've heard it can be kind of buggy and corrupt save files from several other people, have you found anything like that? 8 string tabbing alone would make it worth it to me, I just don't want to get it then it be a buggy mess.

Nothing like that, so far. There's a new format, .gpx, which I guess is going to be universal across all new versions. I've had it open the last ~4 hours, and it's been solid so far. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Worse comes to worse, you can always just keep backups of your .gp3-5 files in case something goes wrong.

I forgot to mention that if you have more than one tab open, it doesn't create another instance of GuitarPro, it just opens them up in a tabbed (wordplay) interface. Say goodbye, 2004, I'll never use programs like I'm living in you again!

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

New recording interface!
I know phonic stuff is pretty much bottom of the barrel, but I've been looking for something to record more that 1 channel for a while, and this popped up locally for $250 so I grabbed it.
It records 6 mono channels, and 2 stereo, simultaneously through firewire. The preamps are lovely, and it will probably break in 6 months, but hey, $250 for an interface that I can also use as a board for a live show.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

FrequencyBandit posted:

I'm super jealous of your setup. One day...

Those Emperor cabs seem bad as hell.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

FrequencyBandit posted:

That's the same head and cab that I have except the cab is black finish. I like the way the Coliseum sounds through the Emperor but I have an Ampeg V4B as well and it makes the Sunn sound like rear end.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)
I'm just getting back into playing after a 15 year hiatus. The wife made me sell my motorcycle so I managed to get her to let me spend some of the proceeds on some new gear.

2009 Les Paul Ultra. For those of you who don't know, it's a semi-hollow body Les, only weighs about 5lbs, interesting accoustics, to me it is very very different from the Gibson Les Paul Standard I had as a teenager, it looks like a much more expensive guitar, and after having it setup it rocks the gently caress out on anything I want to play from metal to blues to old prog-rock. Great guitar for the price, although it was setup like poo poo from the factory and I had to replace the volume pot for the neck pickup.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Fender Vibro Champ XD (Love this amp, the voices are amazing!)

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Boss ME70 (Bought mainly for headphone usage, has amp modeling, cool effects, aux input for jamming with iPod and a chromatic tuner along with a ton of other settings I haven't gotten around to playing with.)

And a pic of it all sitting in my Man Cave.

So far I'm quite happy with my purchase. I'm working on getting a few other guitars to play around with along with a nice amp stack to go in the garage for jamming with friends. I'll post as I pick up more gear.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

in_absentia posted:

very very different from the Gibson Les Paul Standard I had as a teenager, it looks like a much more expensive guitar,

An Epiphone looks much more expensive than a Gibson to you?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Barn Door posted:

I read it as "looks much more expensive than it is" / really nice for the price

is the nano-mag pickup in it as cool/useful as they market it to be?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

This should be arriving tomorrow, gonna get funkay :dance:

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

(not a bigot)

JohnnySmitch posted:

I read it as "looks much more expensive than it is" / really nice for the price

is the nano-mag pickup in it as cool/useful as they market it to be?

The Ultra II has the nano-mag in the neck, not the Ultra. The plain ol' Ultra has a Hot Alnico in the bridge position and a normal alnico at the neck. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, it's been a while.

And yes, it looks more expensive than it is. When my 99' explorer custom silverburst with mirror pickguard comes in next week i'll put them side by side and cover up the brand name...then tell me what "looks" more expensive than it is. Some people in this world have to deal with cheaper gear just to have "gear", and the fact that Gibson doesn't even make an axe like this one should tell you something, why don't you look it up...I'm talking to Barn Door here...yeah I'm sure I could get the custom shop to do anything I want, but $5k for a guitar is a bit much for me a the moment. Although I'm seriously saving for the Dusk Tiger, just gotta get paid from a few more clients before I get the go-ahead on that. The explorer is costing me $2200 as is..I only paid $400 for the Les Ultra, and bought it strictly because of it's differences from a normal Les Standard or Studio Lite.

Maybe I should go to my Mom's place and put it next to my stepdad's 59', cover up the brand names and see who can tell the differences in looks with a 1600x1200 pic. Sorry, I'm a complete gear snob, but I'm not gonna knock an Epiphone that tries to stand out from the crowd.

in_absentia fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 19, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Hey man, I'm happy for ya. My buddy had an Epi Ultra and it was a pretty nice guitar. I'm actually a big fan of chambering, myself - I've got a couple LPs and both are chambered. I love the lowered weight and the acoustic resonance you get from 'em. That said,

in_absentia posted:

Maybe I should go to my Mom's place and put it next to my stepdad's 59', cover up the brand names and see who can tell the differences in looks with a 1600x1200 pic.
lol what the gently caress

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Soon, very soon

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

(not a bigot)

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey man, I'm happy for ya. My buddy had an Epi Ultra and it was a pretty nice guitar. I'm actually a big fan of chambering, myself - I've got a couple LPs and both are chambered. I love the lowered weight and the acoustic resonance you get from 'em. That said,

lol what the gently caress

I was referring to this jerk. Looks are subjective.

Barn Door posted:

in_absentia fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 19, 2010

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Got me a delay.

Haven't gotten around to toying around with it too much yet, but it seems nice and usable.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Demon Seed posted:

This should be arriving tomorrow, gonna get funkay :dance:

Ooh, squelchy! Are you using that for bass? I've been looking into envelope filters and that one seems to offer a good balance between tweakability and ease of use.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Knobs for my project Harmony Rocket III. They're missing the VOLUME and TONE markings, and not quite the right shape, but real cupcake knobs would have cost me ~$100 and these were less than $10 for all of them. The selector knob is a near perfect copy, though.

Still need to buy a proper bridge, find a selector switch, buy pots for volume and tone, and then wire it all back up. They originally have a volume/tone for each pickup, and a 4 way rotary selector switch that will do single pickups or all three. Since this is more of a player, I'm planning a master volume and tone with the other four being present but not wired up. For the selector, I'll probably go with a 6 position so I can get a bit more variety.

Dean Markely Pro Mag acoustic pickup. I didn't pay $49.95, it was at a thrift shop for $10. Works okay so far, although it won't fit the sound hole of my old Stellas.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Just bought a temp guitar for my trip to seattle.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

Juaguocio posted:

Ooh, squelchy! Are you using that for bass? I've been looking into envelope filters and that one seems to offer a good balance between tweakability and ease of use.

Yes I am, and this thing is the poo poo. If you have the 200$ definitely go with this, but you can also get MXR's M82 for 50$ cheaper.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
My effects solution :3

Complimented by..

Custom firmware!

Bought the FCB1010 second hand for 160 AUD, Firmware chip obviously 16 euros..

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hey, you went with my recommendation, awesome! Let me know how it turns out, with the custom firmware chip that is a heck of a MIDI controller and should do everything you're after. They hold up really well for the money, too, if it ain't DOA it ought to last a good long time.

(Does that mean I should cancel trying to figure shipping?)

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the reccomendation. Go ahead and cancel the shipping quote, sorry for any inconvenience.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Epileptic Nazi posted:

Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the reccomendation. Go ahead and cancel the shipping quote, sorry for any inconvenience.

Hey, no worries at all, man, if all you're after is MIDI control the Behringer unit is far and away a better option. The Rig Kontrol 3 is a great instrument DI with quality converters and a good MIDI interface, and it can be used as a MIDI controller on its own now for anything thanks to the Controller Editor software upgrade from NI, but if you don't need the DI functions or any of the other intended uses then that's money better spent elsewhere. And past experience shipping overseas tells me you'd have spent more on this even at the price I'm selling it, so you made the right call.

Do let me know how the FCB1010 with the Uno firmware works out for you.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.
I've had good experiences with the modded FCB1010 since around March. Learning to program it was kind of a bitch, but I've pretty well gotten the hang of it and haven't noticed any serious problems with functionality. I got the board for $100 (US) on craigslist and then $10 or whatever for the UnO chip. I'll probably order the phantom power mod as well, as I'm trying to cut down on loose cables in the live setup.

fusionpit
Sep 8, 2005

Does that make me crazy?
College Slice
I just bought a new guitar after not playing for 2 years:

It was $75 off with the 30% Father Day coupon at Guitar Center. I also picked up a line 6 Pod Studio UX1, which has so far shown itself to be a great little device!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I needed a big rear end cymbal; I went and got a big rear end cymbal.

click for bigger

Samples here - Click on the Ride.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 21, 2010

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

pennywisdom posted:

how is that? i kind of like the funky jetsons look of that dano.

Herr Roboto
Jul 20, 2006

by Ozma

pennywisdom posted:

That guitar looks like it has a butt. Also it's really ugly.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Herr Roboto posted:

That guitar looks like it has a butt. Also it's really ugly.

It feels ugly too. I see them all the time at my local Guitar Center. I'm pretty sure its just the same 3 on the wall for months, I can't believe they'd move a lot of those.

EDIT: Too many commas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
There's nothing wrong with a Danelectro Hornet. I assume the reissue?