Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I FUCKIN LOVE PLAYING BASS GUITAR YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Nah man, regular guitars are where it's at.

Anyone else shooting Electric Daisy Carnival in Dallas today?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

dunkman posted:

Nah man, regular guitars are where it's at.

:colbert: that man clearly does not know how to play guitar; his rhythm switch is 'off.'

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

AtomicManiac posted:

I think the best way to tackle a band that doesn't have a clue is to listen to their music and present the image they're trying to project. Failing that, look at their influences and see what those bands did for photo shoots and try and make something similar.

Yeah, but they are a "screamo" band and its like the same poo poo for every band in that genre. We ended up doing some really basic stuff, I will post them once I have a chance to even upload them to my computer. For anyone that is interested, this is their purevolume site:

http://www.purevolume.com/isawaghost

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Ric posted:

I was reluctant to go as high as 800! It's the highest ISO at which I've ever got usable results. I have NoiseNinja but I find it flattens features too much; maybe I'm not familiar enough with it.

It's a judgment call. At shows where it's so dark that f/1.2 is still getting you basically nothing, you're going to have to bump the ISO up.

But I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment that you should never shoot on 800. I like to use 800 as a baseline and adjust from there. I almost never shoot at 1600 because the grain is so bad that it becomes distracting, and when you have to process that much, you're going to lose something from the photo (that flatness that you're taking about). Then again, you could say the same thing about severely underexposed photos.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

IndieRockLance posted:

It's a judgment call. At shows where it's so dark that f/1.2 is still getting you basically nothing, you're going to have to bump the ISO up.

But I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment that you should never shoot on 800. I like to use 800 as a baseline and adjust from there. I almost never shoot at 1600 because the grain is so bad that it becomes distracting, and when you have to process that much, you're going to lose something from the photo (that flatness that you're taking about). Then again, you could say the same thing about severely underexposed photos.

When in doubt, go black and white. It's a lot easier to save a picture.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

AtomicManiac posted:

When in doubt, go black and white. It's a lot easier to save a picture.

Or shoot film!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

IndieRockLance posted:

What camera are you shooting on that 800 or 1600 ISO is a bad thing? Especially at f/1.2? I generally shoot 4000ISO at f/4 on a full frame camera, and my results are great for high quality high dpi 12x18" prints.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
"Hey guys, 'scuse me, 'scuse me, let me just ease up on stage here for a second, gotta take this pic of Benny Benassi real quick okay thanks bye"

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

HPL posted:

You should be able to desaturate or lighten specific colours in Photoshop. I do it all the time in Elements, so PS had better have it.
I've since had a go on a couple, there's nothing there under the red - it's too monochromatic. It's a shame, because I rather like some of the captures.

fronkpies posted:

Or shoot film!
I shot some Neopan 1600 too, yet to develop.

I, Butthole posted:

What camera are you shooting on that 800 or 1600 ISO is a bad thing? Especially at f/1.2? I generally shoot 4000ISO at f/4 on a full frame camera, and my results are great for high quality high dpi 12x18" prints.
D200

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Ric posted:

D200

hurf blurf canon rools :v:

Seriously though, I've had a friend come along to a few gigs with his D300 and it doesn't seem to do well either. F5 with 1600 speed black and white film with a 60mm 2.8 works wonders though.

Seriously though, invest in a D700/the new D700 model released in August. Full frame makes it a lot easier/bearable to hit the high ISOs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ric posted:

D200

This shot of mine was taken at 1600 on a D200, don't why you don't think 800 or 1600 is unusable on the D200.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Canon 7D - 6400 ISO, bitches

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Canon 7D - 6400 ISO, bitches

:smug: heh, try 25600 ISO

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This shot of mine was taken at 1600 on a D200, don't why you don't think 800 or 1600 is unusable on the D200.
It depends entirely on whether you have an expanse of a single colour that makes chroma noise and excessive stippling obvious.

I, Butthole posted:

Seriously though, invest in a D700/the new D700 model released in August. Full frame makes it a lot easier/bearable to hit the high ISOs.
Most of the time, fast glass gives me good results; that's what makes these disappointing. A D700 would be great, but I can't justify the expense as overall most photos I take are studio lit.

Continue posting your crazy ISO photos :)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So, what's the protocol when a band hires you to shoot them at a huge one day festival, and due to some schedule fuckery on the organizers part, they're supposed to go on WHEN THE DOORS OPEN. That's right. Doors open at one end of the park at 6pm, and the band starts singing at 6pm.

We literally ran across the park to the outdoor stage, through the other venues (which had air conditioners, and t-shirt sales, and water/food vendors, and the 21+ wrist band tent). We get there, and the band is only on for 30 minutes.

Then you see the lead singer. And this is what he looks like:

Notice something which might reflect poorly on the band?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

dunkman posted:

So, what's the protocol when a band hires you to shoot them at a huge one day festival, and due to some schedule fuckery on the organizers part, they're supposed to go on WHEN THE DOORS OPEN. That's right. Doors open at one end of the park at 6pm, and the band starts singing at 6pm.

We literally ran across the park to the outdoor stage, through the other venues (which had air conditioners, and t-shirt sales, and water/food vendors, and the 21+ wrist band tent). We get there, and the band is only on for 30 minutes.

Ouch dude, that sucks. I do like the photo though.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

dunkman posted:

Yeah, that's um. Wow.

Proper protocol there is to blame the gently caress outta the organizers. It's all their fault, if they had their poo poo together this wouldn't have happened...blah blah blah...you get the drift.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

dunkman posted:

Why not just burn out the reflection?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It looks like there were 4 people there in total. How many were actually there?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

psylent posted:

It looks like there were 4 people there in total. How many were actually there?

4 people, including 3 photographers and a security guy.

Towards the VERY end of the set, some people starting wandering over, but no joke, there were at most 20 people there at any point during the set.

During their tear down, aka when only some house music was playing, a few hundred people came up and were getting ready for the next band.

I've seen these guys play draw several hundred people before.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Electric Daisy Carnival was awesome.

Bigs here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157624321913028/

Klever

Hoyotoho Heiha

Lasers

Dragons

Some REALLY old man Moby

Girls

Benny Benassi

Butts

Rusko

Amanda Bynes

Shot entirely on a 7D with either a 24-70 2.8 or a 70-200 2.8 IS.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 21, 2010

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007
shot a friend's band - it was my first time with very low key lighting.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

I, Butthole posted:

Canon 30D. 800 is fine. I can even get away with 1200 sometimes, but 1600 or 3200 produces grain that's distracting. Especially in wide aperture shots since the grain is more pronounced in the bokeh.

I'd love to upgrade to a fancy full frame camera, but I can't afford a $2500 camera body.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

IndieRockLance posted:

Canon 30D. 800 is fine. I can even get away with 1200 sometimes, but 1600 or 3200 produces grain that's distracting. Especially in wide aperture shots since the grain is more pronounced in the bokeh.

I'd love to upgrade to a fancy full frame camera, but I can't afford a $2500 camera body.

Work on your post-processing. I can take acceptable shots at 3200 with my 40D thanks to DxO Optics' noise reduction whereas without it 1600 was the limit. There's a really good concert photographer around here that uses two 30Ds and he shoots at 1600 all the time.

This here was shot on a 40D at 3200, f/2.8, 1/13 with my 80-200, no IS:

This is from the same show, 40D at 3200, f/1.4, 1/30 with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. They were dancing around on the floor in a circle. It was nowhere near as bright as the photo makes it look:

Can you see noise? Yes, but it's not enough to interfere with the photo.

HPL fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 22, 2010

shykid10
May 4, 2009
Has anyone shot the Austin City Limits festival? Trying to get connected to shoot the event but I'm not having much luck.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
those pedals up there look awesome

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Super quick promo after a show.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That hurts my brain.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Hello wide angle distortion!

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

pr0digal posted:

Hello wide angle distortion!

I tried to fix it, but I swear I only make it worse.

Oh well, they loved it, and it was only a quickie shoot after a show, with an official one coming up. They were in the area, and just wanted something new to post up on their myspace.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Anti_Social posted:

I tried to fix it, but I swear I only make it worse.

Oh well, they loved it, and it was only a quickie shoot after a show, with an official one coming up. They were in the area, and just wanted something new to post up on their myspace.

I was able to fix it in DXO, using the Volume Anamorphosis tool doing Recover Spheres with Intensity 150. You might be able to do something similar with some other software you have.

It won't process the image though for some reason so I can't show you the output, but it looks much better

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 25, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Iiiiiiiiii have noooooooooo idea what I'm doooooooooing:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
^^ Nice shots.

May have asked this before, but I have a battery grip on my 400D. I have 3 batteries in total. Two are lower rated than the other one (720 mAh vs 530 mAh) for the other two.

What is better in terms of batteries to put in the grip. a 720 and a 530, or two 530s and why (I can handle a semi-technical explanation of the theory behind the power drain).

I need to know by tonight as I am shooting Ocean Colour Scene (remember them? it's the mid 90s again!)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't think it matters. I find the batteries get drained unequally anyway. One battery always takes longer to charge than the other.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

A lot of time when the say they are dead, I swap them around in the grip and magically they get power.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I'll add that it doesn't matter. I have the same set-up and I just rotate the batteries, I only charge them when the battery dies, then I add the fresh one and finish the shoot and charge all of them then. I think I charge them every 3-5 times shooting, so I wouldn't even worry about, you can get 2-4k shots easily.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The editor of my local paper hasn't gotten back to me about Warped Tour coverage yet after I sent her an e-mail about clarification. She said I could start out with a photo and a short writeup on the website but never replied when I asked about whether it would be for Warped or a previous show I shot.

If I don't hear back from her by the end of today I'll send her a followup e-mail.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
This, this is amazing.

There's a big local DJ scene here in Dallas at a group of about 4-5 bars. The same 4-5 DJs play at various ones each month, having "monthlies" that happen at various places. Sometimes they team up with each other.

All in all a good scene. There was a couple of party photographers who'd be at every single one of these, usually getting their names on the fliers/posters etc. One of them moved to NYC to be a receptionist at a hair salon, and the other is moving and got involved in some high-school-esque drama and got banned from a few bars. I've been doing a little bit of it for about $100/2 hours + drinks. I don't really do much party photography, but it's a good way to make some scratch once or twice a month.

Anyways, the 2 photogs leaving opened up some spots. So I get contacted by one of the promoters to take pictures for one of their weekly events, a place I frequent a lot and I'm in good with the bartenders and bouncers. They just want light trails.

They're like "well, we usually pay $30 but you haven't worked with us before, so we're offering $20 for the night."

That's like $6/hr. Uhhhh. I can't believe the other guys were doing this AS A JOB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the whole affair is in the +drinks, tbh 8D