Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

orange lime posted:

How can you give him a 45 in Perception? JC's vision is augmented. :colbert:
That's personality. I also tagged Streetwise as a skill (governs using "blunt" dialog options), thus giving the character just the right "Why don't you get a job" persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Oh, my bad, then. 45 Personality sounds a little too high though.

"Oh my God, JC! A bomb!"

"A bomb."

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

50's middling so he's slightly below average. I had it set lower but Daggerfall applies random dice roll increases up to a certain amount to every skill after you customize stuff manually.
That character died in an unfortunate magic accident (He was a nord but I accidentally gave him critical weakness to magicka thinking he was another race...), so I made a new JC.

I think I found the best face I could, given the cirumstance- an Adam Jensen one. This JC managed to make it out of the starting dungeon and into the nearest bar.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jetsetlemming posted:

I think I found the best face I could, given the cirumstance- an Adam Jensen one. This JC managed to make it out of the starting dungeon and into the nearest bar.

Oh Daggerfall, your heaping mess of dialogue glitches (and glitches in general) led me on such a path of misery.

Seriously though, gently caress Daggerfall.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

jonjonaug posted:

Oh Daggerfall, your heaping mess of dialogue glitches (and glitches in general) led me on such a path of misery.

What a shame.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Jetsetlemming posted:

JC DENTON
Spare five credits for a nanoaug agent with the Gray Death?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You know what the one lame thing in this game is? You can't kill Paul. Ever. By default he's always invincible, so even in the NSF hangar you can't gun him down and get a funky conversation or something.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

You know what the one lame thing in this game is? You can't kill Paul. Ever. By default he's always invincible, so even in the NSF hangar you can't gun him down and get a funky conversation or something.
I think this is more than made up for by being able to assassinate Page in Versalife by shooting him through the crack between a window and windowsill. Even though that breaks the game, it's still awesome.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
e: Wrong Deus Ex thread. My bad.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Fuzz posted:

I swear I've seen him die in the 'ton, though. Or maybe somebody screamed a bloody scream during the battle, then he happened to disappear like he'll sometimes do for no particular reason during that part.

Jetsetlemming posted:

I think this is more than made up for by being able to assassinate Page in Versalife by shooting him through the crack between a window and windowsill. Even though that breaks the game, it's still awesome.
So what happens when you kill him? Does the game crash later on, or does it just pretend it never happened since you shouldn't be able to do that?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

So what happens when you kill him? Does the game crash later on, or does it just pretend it never happened since you shouldn't be able to do that?
It's been forever since I did this so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure what happens is that he can't appear to you via holocom at some point (Area 51 maybe) because he's flagged as dead, which breaks quest progression.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Fuzz posted:

You can go out the window! Basically abandoning him to fight dozens of UNATCO troopers by himself in his weakened condition is sentencing him to death. I know you meant literally BLAM but hey close enough for me.

edit: person I want to kill is Alex Jacobson. gently caress that smug sob

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mathemagician posted:

edit: person I want to kill is Alex Jacobson. gently caress that smug sob
I tried shooting Alex at Everett's place. I laughed so hard when the nerd pulled out an assault shotgun and obliterated me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's it. I'm doing it.

The shakycam Human Revolution footage that got posted on RPS this morning has sent me spiralling back into a cyberpunk binge. I've already started rewatching GitS and I'm halfway through rereading Neuromancer, but I'm going to play Invisible War. I need some slightly-prettier-than-Deus-Ex cyberpunk and the only other option I can think of is Neotokyo (which isn't really that cyberpunk and is also pretty terrible).

I'm sorry. I have no choice. It's that, or I'm going to have to watch Johnny Mnemonic and New Rose Hotel, and no one wants to sink that low. :(

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I reread the whole Sprawl trilogy after reading through this thread and replaying DX a few weeks ago. I had forgotten how many nods to Neuromancer there are in the game (two AI's merging into one godlike meta-AI, wearing sunglasses all the time).

I also replayed Invisible War and was disappointed at how not-cyberpunk it was. :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ansob. posted:

I'm halfway through rereading Neuromancer

I love how the first line of that book is completely obsolete. I mean, what, the sky is blue? :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pope Guilty posted:

I love how the first line of that book is completely obsolete. I mean, what, the sky is blue? :v:

Also all the poo poo about the guy with the three megabytes of data. Three megabytes! :aaaaa:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Ansob. posted:

I've already started rewatching GitS and I'm halfway through rereading Neuromancer, but I'm going to play Invisible War.

I hope the planets are aligned in your favor (so that the tech will actually work for you). Also if you're serious about playing IW, you need two things: The John P Texture Pack and The DXTool so you can tweak the game (especially so you can make the gigantic text smaller).

Good luck, goon.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
I'm below the castle in Trier and this really isn't the baby eating festival I was lead to believe (or remember). I mean sure; the levels are tiny, skills are gone and there are only 5 augs, people yammer into your ear without reason almost non-stop just because you killed a man in his apartment without due cause. But it's still quiet and slow, there's poo poo hidden in dumpsters and basements and vents and you can still spout one liners that get you into fights.

(You can also eat candybars in front of guards and be told to knock it off then break into an arms dealer and steal the entire stock without a second glance from anyone)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Because people give IW more poo poo than it deserves through the internet pile on effect. It's not nearly as good as DX, but contrary to popular belief, not as good != complete poo poo.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

When I try to go into the llama temple in TNM, I just end up outside again. Does anyone know a way to fix this? This is just after the shadowcore mission, when a new secondary goal from the llamas comes up.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:toot: HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, DEUS EX!!! :toot:

:toot: HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, DEUS EX!!! :toot:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tecman posted:

Good luck, goon.

Thanks for the links. I shall celebrate Deus Ex's ten years of age by playing Invisible War.

It feels wrong.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Just fired up Deus Ex again and loaded an old save from Area 51 where i can choose endings and did the Helios ending.

No better way to celebrate 10 excellent years.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can't believe it's been ten years. What a game. :toot:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Because people give IW more poo poo than it deserves through the internet pile on effect. It's not nearly as good as DX, but contrary to popular belief, not as good != complete poo poo.

It's a complete trainwreck of game with things such as level design and the scale of the levels falling flat compared to the god tier original.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I just came to say happy birthday Deus Ex, you guided me through many a late night when I worked (ironically) as a security guard.

I started trying to play IW for the occasion, but I can't get it to go past 1024 x 768 and thats a bit on an issue on a widescreen laptop.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

etalian posted:

It's a complete trainwreck of game with things such as level design and the scale of the levels falling flat compared to the god tier original.

Big Rigs: Off the Road Racing was a trainwreck of a game. IW was merely disappointing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Big Rigs: Off the Road Racing was a trainwreck of a game. IW was merely disappointing.

Ayup. I didn't hate it when I got it, and I liked a bunch of stuff it had. True, it was never even close to the original's level of quality, but...

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 28, 2015

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
If Invisible War didn't have the Deus Ex name on it people would be praising it for emulating Deus Ex and being fun. It's not an utterly amazing game but it's decent enough.

Same thing with Deus Ex 3, if it didn't have the brand name people would be singing its praises.

Just don't try to play IW right after finishing the original, I couldn't bear it :(

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

AXE COP posted:

If Invisible War didn't have the Deus Ex name on it people would be praising it for emulating Deus Ex and being fun. It's not an utterly amazing game but it's decent enough.

Same thing with Deus Ex 3, if it didn't have the brand name people would be singing its praises.

Just don't try to play IW right after finishing the original, I couldn't bear it :(

I've got to say that the setting for HR appeals to me more than vanilla Deus Ex. Theres something quite effecting about sacrificing your human meatbody for upgrades, and it's an idea at the heart of cyberpunk. I know that it's fully plot justified but the idea of the nano upgrade being better in every way just doesnt have the same appeal.

JC had glowing eyes and some blue lines etched into him. Gunther Herman, and Anna Navarre made themselves grotesque in order to be better warriors, clearly made a sacrifice, and that plot was fun to explore. Looking forward to turning myself into a hideous hunky freak in HR.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

ShineDog posted:

I've got to say that the setting for HR appeals to me more than vanilla Deus Ex. Theres something quite effecting about sacrificing your human meatbody for upgrades, and it's an idea at the heart of cyberpunk. I know that it's fully plot justified but the idea of the nano upgrade being better in every way just doesnt have the same appeal.

JC had glowing eyes and some blue lines etched into him. Gunther Herman, and Anna Navarre made themselves grotesque in order to be better warriors, clearly made a sacrifice, and that plot was fun to explore. Looking forward to turning myself into a hideous hunky freak in HR.

Did you play Too Human? lovely gameplay aside, I think you'd enjoy the premise

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ShineDog posted:

Hopefully in DX3, instead of inserting a glowy blue canister into a medibot to get a nanoupgrade, you'll have a medibot hack off your arms or gouge out your eyes or whatever to install a mechanical upgrade. It would make you think more carefully about your choices

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I just came to say happy birthday Deus Ex, you guided me through many a late night when I worked (ironically) as a security guard.

I started trying to play IW for the occasion, but I can't get it to go past 1024 x 768 and thats a bit on an issue on a widescreen laptop.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10548

It's a pain in the butt, but that'll allow you to play DXIW in widescreen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can't believe it's been ten years. I feel old.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't believe it's been ten years. I feel old.
I was saying the same thing when I realized this a week ago when I booted the game up for the first time in 8 years.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

puffycloud posted:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10548

It's a pain in the butt, but that'll allow you to play DXIW in widescreen.

Thanks man!

Will try it out later tonight.

I'd played about halfway through it on the xbox before getting bored and moving on, but gonna try to power through it on the PC. It strikes me that though there are all the things that are different and horrible and just plain bad about it, the dialog is just about the same. People even speak in the same stilted way.