Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Vermain posted:

Are you thinking of Mystic Towers, by any chance?
oh my god, yes. thank you. not sure where i got the wizard thing from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Ok so this was a side-scroller for the SNES, but you could move up and down the screen, kind of like the TMNT game.

-There were three or four characters to be, wizard/archer/at least one more. I'm pretty sure each of them had a bit of audio they played when they did their special attacks

-You picked up these circle things, gold outline with a blue interior, I think they gave you powers. Like every circle thing gave you a use of your power

-Wizards special was this thing where four lightning bolts would strike around him.

-One of the levels had a stone walkway, pillars in the background with the sky between them. I believe you fight a green hydra at some point?

This is stupidly vague but it's killing me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Synnr posted:

Ok so this was a side-scroller for the SNES, but you could move up and down the screen, kind of like the TMNT game.

-There were three or four characters to be, wizard/archer/at least one more. I'm pretty sure each of them had a bit of audio they played when they did their special attacks

-You picked up these circle things, gold outline with a blue interior, I think they gave you powers. Like every circle thing gave you a use of your power

-Wizards special was this thing where four lightning bolts would strike around him.

-One of the levels had a stone walkway, pillars in the background with the sky between them. I believe you fight a green hydra at some point?

This is stupidly vague but it's killing me.

I don't remember the exact name but it was something like "Dungeon Master."

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't remember the exact name but it was something like "Dungeon Master."

:saddowns: I got excited when I saw a response and the only dungeon master I see is a 3d game. :saddowns:

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

It wasn't King of Dragons, was it? Video includes wizard and obligatory hydra battle at the end.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
This was a flash game, I saw it on Newgrounds and I'm pretty sure it was a big name like Armor Games, maybe Kongregate (or however it's spelled). This is the one I definitely put the most amount of time into:
- I would equate it to a 2D Mount&Blade
- You created a male or female character based on a medieval archetype, viking, samurai, Teutonic knight, etc
- Leveled up different stats, standard.
- You traveled a small world across a large scale map going from town to town, complete freedom.
- In the world map you would run into bandits.
- You had horses, wide assortment of gear to buy. From each archetype.
- Weapons were standard swords, spears, bows, shurikans, greek fire, etc
- Battles were grid based side scrolling beat-em-ups.
- If you had archers in your reserve you could use them to launch a volley from off screen.
- You also bought soldiers from different towns.
- Each town was based on an archetype.
- You could capture towns. Larger towns with palaces required you to go in and kill guys in the palace too.
- There were quests but they were mostly go here kill bandits or deliver money.

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 17, 2010

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Serious Michael posted:

This was a flash game, I saw it on Newgrounds and I'm pretty sure it was a big name like Armor Games, maybe Kongregate (or however it's spelled). This is the one I definitely put the most amount of time into:
- I would equate it to a 2D Mount&Blade
- You created a male or female character based on a medieval archetype, viking, samurai, Teutonic knight, etc
- Leveled up different stats, standard.
- You traveled a small world across a large scale map going from town to town, complete freedom.
- In the world map you would run into bandits.
- You had horses, wide assortment of gear to buy. From each archetype.
- Weapons were standard swords, spears, bows, shurikans, greek fire, etc
- Battles were grid based side scrolling beat-em-ups.
- If you had archers in your reserve you could use them to launch a volley from off screen.
- You also bought soldiers from different towns.
- Each town was based on an archetype.
- You could capture towns. Larger towns with palaces required you to go in and kill guys in the palace too.
- There were quests but they were mostly go here kill bandits or deliver money.

sounds kind of like Feudalism II

Desuism
Jan 15, 2008
I have a shrine of Desu in my room, you should too.
This one old curses/dos-mode (ran inside on a cmd.exe window anyway) where you played as this little ASCII smiley face. I think there's been extensions of it from the original one for multiplayer or something but I can't remember the name of it at all.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Desuism posted:

This one old curses/dos-mode (ran inside on a cmd.exe window anyway) where you played as this little ASCII smiley face. I think there's been extensions of it from the original one for multiplayer or something but I can't remember the name of it at all.

ZZT?

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

wb posted:

sounds kind of like Feudalism II

Feudalism I was what I spent all my time with, thank you.

Desuism
Jan 15, 2008
I have a shrine of Desu in my room, you should too.

beef express posted:

ZZT?

YES.
(Although the opaque name explains why I couldn't remember it.)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is a puzzle game where you are a rat, and you have to push blocks through a labyrinth in order to get all the cheese. There are also cats trying to kill you, but you can crush them between blocks. Any idea?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

ZearothK posted:

This is a puzzle game where you are a rat, and you have to push blocks through a labyrinth in order to get all the cheese. There are also cats trying to kill you, but you can crush them between blocks. Any idea?

Rodent's Revenge? There's a download of it here apparently.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Right, I got the answer I wanted very quickly last time so maybe this will be a bit more of a challenge.

Firstly, a game from the Amiga 500 (so early 90s I would guess) where you had to kick these brown football monster things (think a soccer ball with eyes and teeth) at your opponent at the other end of the pitch, to knock them down. You progressed through a league and one of the early opponents was a purple octopus thing. The game also had a couple of mini games, one where you kicked the ball monsters at targets, one where you had a top-down view and had to fight off attacking ball monsters with a stick. I thought the developer was called Goblin, but that's not helping me find anything so I may be wrong.

The second is a BBC Micro game that was released in the early 80s. It was a single screen with several blue platforms connected with yellow ladders. Your character had to dig a little hole that monsters would fall into, and you would then have to run and hit them with a hammer till they fell through the hole and died on the platform below. Some monsters had to fall further, so you had to dig several holes above one another so they had further to fall. One of the monsters looked something like this:

Any ideas?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
PSX. I played it from a demo disc. It was a fighting game, in which 2 characters would run all over a 3d landscape (the camera was like a bird eye view) throwing fire and ice bolts and such magic stuff at each other.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dregan posted:

Rodent's Revenge? There's a download of it here apparently.

Perfect, that's exactly the one, thanks a bunch.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Sanford posted:

The second is a BBC Micro game that was released in the early 80s. It was a single screen with several blue platforms connected with yellow ladders. Your character had to dig a little hole that monsters would fall into, and you would then have to run and hit them with a hammer till they fell through the hole and died on the platform below. Some monsters had to fall further, so you had to dig several holes above one another so they had further to fall. One of the monsters looked something like this:

Any ideas?

This is almost definitely Space Panic.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Sanford posted:

Firstly, a game from the Amiga 500 (so early 90s I would guess) where you had to kick these brown football monster things (think a soccer ball with eyes and teeth) at your opponent at the other end of the pitch, to knock them down.
Any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Monster_Slam.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Cable posted:

PSX. I played it from a demo disc. It was a fighting game, in which 2 characters would run all over a 3d landscape (the camera was like a bird eye view) throwing fire and ice bolts and such magic stuff at each other.

Sounds like Psychic Force (though it might not be).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scx7OeRCGYw&feature=related

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cable posted:

I think this is Destrega.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

ALFbrot posted:

I think this is Destrega.

It was destrega. i love you.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I saw a video of an upcoming game and I cannot remember what the title was. The thing I remember most from the video is that it's coop and one player's perks will help another player. The example I saw in the video is if one player cloaks and his friends are nearby, they will cloak too. I think it was a third person shooter of some type. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NUxeiRKY4

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sanford posted:

Genpei Turtle posted:

This is almost definitely Space Panic.

That's interesting, I never realised it was a clone of anything, it's just called Monsters on the BBC/Electron.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I'm trying to remember a couple of old games that my cousin used to play (he'd never let me use his computer, so I could only watch :saddowns: ). One of them was some kind maze-y, dungeon-y type of thing, one of them was some kind of religious game (I know you could throw apples), and the last one had symbols as the characters and the playing field was hidden by a fog until you cleared it.

For reference, I think these were all DOS games (they were on the floppies that are a step up in size from 3.5" disks), and the time frame would be early nineties.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Wow you guys are good, Grand Monster Slam was spot on (the Wikipedia page even has a pic of the purple octopus thing) and Space Panic soon led me to Monsters for the BBC. Thanks folks!

Grisso
Apr 7, 2004
Spontaneous Human Combustion

fireWARKs posted:

one of them was some kind of religious game (I know you could throw apples)

This sounds like Spiritual Warfare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Warfare_%28video_game%29

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Grisso posted:

This sounds like Spiritual Warfare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Warfare_%28video_game%29

Hahaha, I think that might be it! Thanks :)

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I could use some help!

I used to play this game every time I went to my step-dad's place, and I'm pretty sure it was on a Sega system. Either Genesis or Master, I'm not sure.

Anyway, the game involved two guys on jetpacks, and you flew through very alien landscapes in a rather horizontal shooter pattern. What I remember best is that, sometimes, the levels were done from behind, kind of like Contra for the NES. Oh, and there was a shop where you could buy power-up for your guns and stuff.

Been trying to remember/find this one for years now.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Mudlark posted:

I could use some help!

I used to play this game every time I went to my step-dad's place, and I'm pretty sure it was on a Sega system. Either Genesis or Master, I'm not sure.

Anyway, the game involved two guys on jetpacks, and you flew through very alien landscapes in a rather horizontal shooter pattern. What I remember best is that, sometimes, the levels were done from behind, kind of like Contra for the NES. Oh, and there was a shop where you could buy power-up for your guns and stuff.

Been trying to remember/find this one for years now.

Sounds like Forgotten Worlds.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

pud posted:

Sounds like Forgotten Worlds.

Yeup, that's it. I remember the intro.

Thanks a lot!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Polsy posted:

That's interesting, I never realised it was a clone of anything, it's just called Monsters on the BBC/Electron.

If you have MAME, Berlin Wall is a great version of this as well. My first introduction was Apple Panic on the Apple 2.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I don't think this has been asked yet.... it was an old arcade game in the 80's for 3 players. It was over head or 3/4s overhead view and you ran around busting up monster nests and it was a real quarter eater. There was a blue guy with a whip and fedora, I think a green dude with a spear, and a woman in red with a sword or something.

I like going back and playing old games I was never good at and realizing they were just bad games and I didn't totally suck at arcade games when I was 8 (I actually did).

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Bart Fargo posted:

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NUxeiRKY4

Awesome, thanks!

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Sutureself posted:

I don't think this has been asked yet.... it was an old arcade game in the 80's for 3 players. It was over head or 3/4s overhead view and you ran around busting up monster nests and it was a real quarter eater. There was a blue guy with a whip and fedora, I think a green dude with a spear, and a woman in red with a sword or something.

I like going back and playing old games I was never good at and realizing they were just bad games and I didn't totally suck at arcade games when I was 8 (I actually did).

Dark Adventure.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Random PC game in the 90's. Called Funky Brewsters or something. Funky something. Had a bunch of mini games. Really weird art style. That's all I got. I really wanna watch a YouTube of it to bring back memories. I think a digitized voice said the name of the game in the intro.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

pud posted:

Dark Adventure.

Holy crap, that's it! What a terrible, terrible name for a game!

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
I vaguely remember this Japanese action RPG/RTS mix for the super nintendo that I played back in the 90s. It's very unique in that the battles take place on a top down grid and you move your character around, you just move next to an enemy and your character auto attacks. You can only control one character at a time but your army can contain dozens of guys, you can switch control between characters while the computer assume control of everybody else.

The cool thing is you can have a whole bunch of armies running around the world map, which I think is mode 7, it resembles the world map of sword of mana 3. There are two cool things I remember about that game, one is a secret character in the form of a mage. You do a bunch of stuff to turn an archer into the mage, the mage can only be himself, he cannot join other armies. But in exchange he gets a one shot attack every battle where he kills EVERYTHING on the entire map.

The other cool thing is this huge battle right before you storm the final boss' castle. It's this huge battlefield with no trees or any other obstacle, it's just your army against a huge enemy army. As you fight on reinforcements come in from both sides, eventually it's all of your armies on the screen at once against probably hundreds of enemy soldiers, a huge clusterfuck in the middle of this empty map. It was the most epic thing ever for my 8 year old self.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Random PC game in the 90's. Called Funky Brewsters or something. Funky something. Had a bunch of mini games. Really weird art style. That's all I got. I really wanna watch a YouTube of it to bring back memories. I think a digitized voice said the name of the game in the intro.

http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=funky&x=14&y=15

Something tells me that funky isn't in the name. Can you even say what platform it was on?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MegaCharger posted:

I vaguely remember this Japanese action RPG/RTS mix for the super nintendo that I played back in the 90s. It's very unique in that the battles take place on a top down grid and you move your character around, you just move next to an enemy and your character auto attacks. You can only control one character at a time but your army can contain dozens of guys, you can switch control between characters while the computer assume control of everybody else.

The cool thing is you can have a whole bunch of armies running around the world map, which I think is mode 7, it resembles the world map of sword of mana 3. There are two cool things I remember about that game, one is a secret character in the form of a mage. You do a bunch of stuff to turn an archer into the mage, the mage can only be himself, he cannot join other armies. But in exchange he gets a one shot attack every battle where he kills EVERYTHING on the entire map.

The other cool thing is this huge battle right before you storm the final boss' castle. It's this huge battlefield with no trees or any other obstacle, it's just your army against a huge enemy army. As you fight on reinforcements come in from both sides, eventually it's all of your armies on the screen at once against probably hundreds of enemy soldiers, a huge clusterfuck in the middle of this empty map. It was the most epic thing ever for my 8 year old self.

Ogre Battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween
Apr 29, 2009

Brave Ghost
This is a long shot, but I'm looking for a shovelware/freeware game that came on one of those terrible '1000 Games for Win95' CDs.
-Generics Fantasy first person dungeon crawler.
-Pretty large set of races and classes to choose from.
-The economy was strange, you could go hours and only make a few thousand dollars, or you could randomly find an artifact weapon and sell it for millions of dollars.
-When you died your corpse was taken to a hospital or morgue, and you could pay to resurrect from a bank account, if you couldn't you would have to make a new character who could resurrect past characters by paying for them.
-The graphics were sorta windowed (like the mini map was in it's own little window) instead of being DOS contained, more sleek but also more generic.
-I remember it was a sequel and that maybe it was a one word title?

I know I'm describing probably hundreds of games, but any help would be appreciated.