Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
After the World Cup, I'll be pouring out a 40 of pixels for those dead cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Will you be pouring them out of this?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

KennyG posted:

Someone showed up to my trap and skeet club with one of those this past weekend and we exchanged knowing glances. :c00lbert:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

KennyG posted:

Yep, but its only 12 oz, so I'll have to do it a couple of times.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

McMadCow posted:

Someone showed up to my trap and skeet club with one of those this past weekend and we exchanged knowing glances. :c00lbert:

Getting some pictures at the club could be fun. I would do it, but my shooting with my camera is just as skilled as my shooting in skeet. You've seen how bad that is.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

DevNull posted:

Getting some pictures at the club could be fun. I would do it, but my shooting with my camera is just as skilled as my shooting in skeet. You've seen how bad that is.

The photographer that I assist has got the OK from the club to do a high fashion shoot on the skeet fields. :siren: MODELS WITH GUNS!!! :siren:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

McMadCow posted:

The photographer that I assist has got the OK from the club to do a high fashion shoot on the skeet fields. :siren: MODELS WITH GUNS!!! :siren:

If you need, I will loan my shotgun to you. I am totally willing to bring it up for the shoot.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

pwn posted:

Because of the awkward parsing of the title, whenever I see the Polaroid thread, I read it as

code:
Pola

Roids come get your fix

congratulations you got the joke

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Twenties Superstar posted:

You think so, jackass?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Twenties Superstar posted:

I still don't get it. Isn't "roids" what you call the drugs? Why would the drugs need a fix? They're drugs.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX

orange lime posted:

I still don't get it. Isn't "roids" what you call the drugs? Why would the drugs need a fix? They're drugs.

Think about it, because they're drugs, their tolerance would be through the roof, so they'd need more, right?

Got my 5DII the other day (w/17-40L and Sigma 70-200). :fap: Farewell, XTi/EF-S lenses! Also if you're curious, a 2GB card will hold exactly 27 RAW images on that camera(yes, those have been replaced now.)

Engine Skull fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 17, 2010

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Bloody August posted:

Think about it, because they're drugs, their tolerance would be through the roof, so they'd need more, right?

Got my 5DII the other day (w/17-40L and Sigma 70-200). :fap: Farewell, XTi/EF-S lenses! Also if you're curious, a 2GB card will hold exactly 27 RAW images on that camera(yes, those have been replaced now.)

When I got mine I decided to get all 16gig cards. You get ~550 per card which is great for events and such, otherwise my old 4gig cards are usually fine. Now that I'm starting to dip my toes into video I'm eying the 32gig. :smithicide:

EDIT: And then you realize you need a place to store all this data! Suddenly GB is replaced with TB and your wallet is replaced with an empty void.

Wooten fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 17, 2010

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
For sure, I prepared for that ahead of time, and picked up 2 16GB Extreme cards. Fuji also gave me a 500GB external HDD a while ago that I'll use for storage. What I failed to prep for, is that now I need to shell out ~$1,500 for a new PC because mine is dated and will certainly have issues editing those solar body-sized RAWs (and games...ahem.)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Bloody August posted:

...that doesn't seem right. The RAW files from my 5D2 are ~25 megs at their largest, so you should be able to fit around 80 into 2 gigs.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Right yes, early for me means awesome awake time for Americans yes.

I've got a friend who found some dude on eBay selling 256gb Kingston usb harddrives, and 32gb Sandisk Compact Flashes for $20 a pop and he spent like, $300 buying them all. And he called me a couple days later and told me this and I said "have you been back to the seller?" and he said "yeah, and he's been deleted or something" and I said "well, email paypal, maybe you'll get lucky and get something back." and he said "why?" and I said "so you get your money back." and he said "but they just arrived. they're awesome. I checked and they're all the correct size and they don't look like fakes." and I said "oh".

Lesson learnt? I think I'm never going to get a sweet deal like that because I would never play one of those auctions. Because I'm too smart?

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 17, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

orange lime posted:

...that doesn't seem right. The RAW files from my 5D2 are ~25 megs at their largest, so you should be able to fit around 80 into 2 gigs.

Most of mine are closer to 30mb. Just sayin.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Most of mine are closer to 30mb. Just sayin.

They'd have to be around 67 megs in order to fit 27 on a formatted 2GB card. Sure that you didn't just have extra stuff on there?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

orange lime posted:

They'd have to be around 67 megs in order to fit 27 on a formatted 2GB card. Sure that you didn't just have extra stuff on there?

Oh I was just saying, I have no idea how many will fit on a 2gb card, that was someone else who was saying that.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Getting a 5D2 has made me a better photographer. Not because I'm taking better pictures, but rather because I don't have enough disc space on my laptop to keep every 21mp photo that manages to make its way into lightroom.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I guess this is Canon's method of controlling the spray and pray crowd.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
My 7D will give me 50mb+ RAWs if I shoot on 6400+ ISO.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003

orange lime posted:

Freshly formatted card, I did have some misc Reaper files on there from a friend, but that's why I formatted it. I guess it could have been that the card was old and tired, I didn't check my better 2GB card. Either way, 2Gb in a 5DII equals failure.

dunkman posted:

My 7D will give me 50mb+ RAWs if I shoot on 6400+ ISO.

Maybe this is why. When I was messing around with it, I did have it at 6400, and 5DII RAWs will certainly be larger than 7D RAWs.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
60 shots for RAW + sJPEG on 5D2 with a 2GB card for me. I like to use the tiny card as the 'wear and tear' memory card and only bust out the 8GB/16GB when I know I will be out shooting for a while. Also it's an Extreme IV 2GB card that sandisk sent me for free when my Extreme III 2GB died.

Come to think of it, I got the original Extreme III 2GB back in 2004 along with a 20D, so technically this purchase have lasted me over six years...

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Helmacron posted:

Lesson learnt? I think I'm never going to get a sweet deal like that because I would never play one of those auctions. Because I'm too smart?

Most of the time those auctions are either counterfeit cards, fake cards, or take the money and run scams. Your friend might have got lucky and picked up stolen goods. Alternately they might be ancient 128Mb cards that someone found on a shelf and put 32Gb stickers on. Did he check the size by looking at the stickers, or by putting them in a computer? Even if a computer reports them as 32Gb there's a chance they are smaller cards with dodgy firmware reporting a larger size.

Even if your friend got lucky it still falls into the 'sounds too good to be true' category so I wouldn't bet on getting a bargain next time.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Just wait for one of those crazy sandisk sales that happens once a year or so. IIRC the year before it was a bunch of 16GB Extreme III (30MB/s) for about 30 bucks each, and last year they had 8GB Extreme III SDHC for 12 bucks each.

And you get these deals from places like bhphoto or adorama, which are both highly reputable without risking counterfeits from ebay.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DaNzA posted:

Just wait for one of those crazy sandisk sales that happens once a year or so. IIRC the year before it was a bunch of 16GB Extreme III (30MB/s) for about 30 bucks each, and last year they had 8GB Extreme III SDHC for 12 bucks each.

And you get these deals from places like bhphoto or adorama, which are both highly reputable without risking counterfeits from ebay.

Yeah, those sales own. I got my 4GB Extreme III's for free or very close to it after rebate a year or two ago.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
An amusing video on the joys of being a pro wildlife photographer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBB6O8f25Jk

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
1d IV, 1.4x, 500 F4! 4^3 :awesome:
HAHA

One thing, he wasn't shooting a bird.

KennyG fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 18, 2010

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
No custom camo body? Pffft.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I like how when I am using a tool and it does not do the desired effect I try everything until I figure out that I am working on the mask instead :(

However, thanks to a certain game I am able to quickly scan and click on skin lesions and bumps more effectively and faster now :v:

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Bloody August posted:

Freshly formatted card, I did have some misc Reaper files on there from a friend, but that's why I formatted it. I guess it could have been that the card was old and tired, I didn't check my better 2GB card. Either way, 2Gb in a 5DII equals failure.

Maybe this is why. When I was messing around with it, I did have it at 6400, and 5DII RAWs will certainly be larger than 7D RAWs.

In practice you'll get about 50, give or take, raws onto a 2gb card, depending on ISO and whatnot. I have a ton of 2gb cards left, so I tend to use them a fair bit with the 5D. It's not really the end of the world, helps you parse it down a bit.

amtrak450
Jul 25, 2001
For those of you who are looking at doing some infrared work, I ran across a 52mm Hoya R72 filter for cheap: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Hoya-52mm-Infrared-RM72-Glass-Filter/4655326/product.html

Of course I had to pick one up at that price. I'm hoping it'll give better results with Ilford's SFX200 than the B+W dark red filter I've been using.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
I'm getting rid of an old CRT projector, but I'm going to try to use the lenses to make some ridiculously impractical large format cameras:

For size comparison:

I fooled around using tracing paper as ground glass, and the DOF is going to be paper thin, but it will be fun to try!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This seems tangentially related to that, and I still find this guy fascinating, and it's been a while since I posted about him, so here we go: http://www.cameratruck.net

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Satchmo posted:

I'm getting rid of an old CRT projector, but I'm going to try to use the lenses to make some ridiculously impractical large format cameras:

For size comparison:

I fooled around using tracing paper as ground glass, and the DOF is going to be paper thin, but it will be fun to try!

That's interesting, let us know how it turns out. Google "waterhouse stop" if you want to try stopping down.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Remember how Anssi Vanjoki promised to make DSLRs obsolete with Nokia's smartphones? Well, the time's almost here.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Remember how Anssi Vanjoki promised to make DSLRs obsolete with Nokia's smartphones? Well, the time's almost here.

Does this mean I can put krazy art filters on my lenses like Ken Rockwell does?!

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/canon-patent-application-takes-in-camera-hdr-to-the-pixel-level/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the comments on the article are the worst part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Alright! This could open up a whole new wave of lovely boring pictures made "interesting" because of the WOAH! HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE! You won't even have to have photoshop to make that tree look like its JUST SO AWESOME!