Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AG3 posted:

I played it for 2 hours before putting it down. I don't know why I bought it; I didn't even like it the first time I played it way back when. I guess I hoped I would like it better. Not sure why it never clicked with me.

I've not installed most of the games I bought on GoG, there's even some I've never played even back in the old days. I try to tell myself that as far as collection hobbies go, collecting old games I'll never (re)play is fairly cheap :smith:

Yeah, that is what I think too. Most of the games I "had" at some point or another too, so it's all good. I'm sure there will be that lazy weekend when nothing new is out and I just power binge through a game. I've played the hell out of some of my GOG games, so it isn't that horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Gashroom posted:

I'm surprised I-War 2: Edge of Chaos is not out yet. That is definitely worth buying and then not playing.

I actually dug out my CDs of I-War 2 today. Sadly, it looks as though you're poo poo out of luck if you're trying to run it on Win7. Graphics just explode randomly.

I hope the only reason it's not up on GoG is because they're fixing that. Pleasepleaseplease.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

rt4 posted:

Even with a walkthrough, I can't beat the first level of Kingpin :(

No worries, the game is just trying to tell you it sucks and that you should move on. You're not missing much. Trust me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Charles Martel posted:

No worries, the game is just trying to tell you it sucks and that you should move on. You're not missing much. Trust me.

I couldn't beat it back when it was new. Then my youngest brother (17) wanted to give it a shot and he beat it within three days. :(

Smegma Enigma
Mar 7, 2006

[T-2:25] Overwhelming sense of well-being and euphoria
Can someone give me some Arcanum tips? I just got to Tarant, I'm playing a level 6 gun using guy, and I'm completely lost. I suck at combat, and I'm completely overwhelmed by how huge the world is. I really wanna get into this game but the combat/character mechanics are kind of weird and I don't know how to level my character effectively.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Smegma Enigma posted:

Can someone give me some Arcanum tips? I just got to Tarant, I'm playing a level 6 gun using guy, and I'm completely lost. I suck at combat, and I'm completely overwhelmed by how huge the world is. I really wanna get into this game but the combat/character mechanics are kind of weird and I don't know how to level my character effectively.

The problem is that you're using guns.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
^That. Guns suck until much later in the game. Take the train from Tarant to Ashbury and look for a gnome kicking a dog. Scare the gnome off and talk to the dog. You have just recruited the best party member in the game. He'll make your life in combat a lot easier and doesn't count against your party member total (save before you go there in case the gnome kicks the dog to death before you find him).

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Also, if you're built for it at all, go for some of the melee tech upgrades. The punching-dagger is pretty good and can last you until you get the flamethrowing-axe.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There used to be a gun balancing mod, by Otto Krupps, or somesuch. Check the GOG forum, it's probably listed there or better yet, the forums at terra-arcanum.com. I used to lurk there a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if it were still alive. I recall another mod by Chris Beddoes that went way overboard with stuff, stay away from those.

You should also get explosives training, and make your own molotovs. These are game-breaking things, you can spam an unlimited number of them in a single turn, but it's almost necessary when going against rock golems.

Of course, with a mod, you'll probably have to start over again, but it might be worth it.

Disclaimer: I haven't played Arcanum in about 8 years, and never finished it. It's on my Guilt List, though.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The best thing about arcanum was being a retarded mindget in a magnet powered top hat, digging through trash cans to make bombs.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AxeManiac posted:

The best thing about arcanum was being a retarded mindget in a magnet powered top hat, digging through trash cans to make bombs.

What? :aaaaa:

Now I wish I picked it up on sale.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Kingpin is the best first person shooter. Needs a sequel.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

It's $6. That's the price of a value meal at a fast food place. The amount you'd likely save on a sale is going to be like $1.50, max. Just buy it if it appeals to you, it's worth it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Andrigaar posted:

In true Fallout tradition, it had an entire dialogue set for "retard". Even for the voice acting. I think the level of detail and care that went into that game always impressed me more than the actual gameplay, which is sad.

I still play through the game in different ways up to about those rock monsters start ruining the game, but drat, that first part of the game is so re-playable!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Now I kind of regret never going full retard on the original Fallouts or Arcanum.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

AxeManiac posted:

I still play through the game in different ways up to about those rock monsters start ruining the game, but drat, that first part of the game is so re-playable!

Oh my god that mine basically made me stop playing the game at all :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AxeManiac posted:

In true Fallout tradition, it had an entire dialogue set for "retard". Even for the voice acting. I think the level of detail and care that went into that game always impressed me more than the actual gameplay, which is sad.

Even the journal entries changed if you had low intelligence.

Funny thing is, they did this based on your CURRENT intelligence rather than what your intelligence was at the time you wrote them - so you can drink a bunch and watch your journal magically morph into "Timmy's first quest log - grade 1"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Even the journal entries changed if you had low intelligence.

Funny thing is, they did this based on your CURRENT intelligence rather than what your intelligence was at the time you wrote them - so you can drink a bunch and watch your journal magically morph into "Timmy's first quest log - grade 1"

My guess: We are not seeing the journal, but how our drunk character perceives the journal. If you start as a retard and get smarter later, just pretend your character rewrote the thing to be not embarassing.

I just bought Two Worlds. Can anyone tell me how I should level up my character to exploit the game?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

The MSJ posted:

I just bought Two Worlds. Can anyone tell me how I should level up my character to exploit the game?

Just play the game as designed. You should be uncrooking any wicked wizard's taints in hours as an unstoppable killer of zombie ghosts.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

doctorfrog posted:

:c00l: GoG library slim DVD covers printed:

The only way these could be slicker is if the gameshelf on the cover was what was on that particular disc.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's $6. That's the price of a value meal at a fast food place. The amount you'd likely save on a sale is going to be like $1.50, max. Just buy it if it appeals to you, it's worth it.

Actually I looked at my Steam library and sorta cried a little at the amount of untouched games and didn't pick it up. Will be picking it up down the road now though.

AxeManiac posted:

Sounds like FO2 and me. For a decade now I've been getting bored after beating up the plants when you go searching for towns. Once I dent Steam, oh, I'll return to FO2. Oh, and after that? Arcanum.

:smithicide:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, someone should make a thread just talking about games they bought on impulse and never finished/started. Thanks to Steam and GOG my queue of games I've bought that "I need to get around to playing some day" is like 15 games long.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

doctorfrog posted:

Now I kind of regret never going full retard on the original Fallouts or Arcanum.

Everybody knows you never go full retard.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Man, someone should make a thread just talking about games they bought on impulse and never finished/started. Thanks to Steam and GOG my queue of games I've bought that "I need to get around to playing some day" is like 15 games long.

A support group to cry on each other's shoulders or try and stop all the downloading?

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Oh my god that mine basically made me stop playing the game at all :(

I played a mage at one point and had to disintergrate a rock monster, then leave the mine, pass-out, then go back in to disintergrate the next one. Jesus Christ that was some bullshit.

I agree the game sort of loses its steam and hits you with a whole bunch of dungeon-crawl bullshit, but by that point it's usually built up enough goodwill that I won't just drop it. I've stopped several playthroughs at the final baddie, though.

edit:

Andrigaar posted:

A support group to cry on each other's shoulders or try and stop all the downloading?

I guess it'd be good to have a 'support thread' where we get through all our untouched impulse buys.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I played a mage at one point and had to disintergrate a rock monster, then leave the mine, pass-out, then go back in to disintergrate the next one. Jesus Christ that was some bullshit.

I agree the game sort of loses its steam and hits you with a whole bunch of dungeon-crawl bullshit, but by that point it's usually built up enough goodwill that I won't just drop it. I've stopped several playthroughs at the final baddie, though.

Yeah the mines are just pure bullshit. It's really annoying, they kill the game for a LOT of people, which is a shame because it gets good again after them. But for some reason the developers decided to have a really long, boring, MANDATORY dungeon crawl at about the 1/4 mark in the game, and filled it with probably the most annoying monsters in the entire game. Yay for taking durability damage on my weapon every time I hit the massive chunk of HP that is the golems. Oh, don't have a weapon? Well then you'll just take damage every time you hit them! Watch Virgil pass out healing Dog because he keeps dropping to 1 HP trying to kill the golems!

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with that part. You can bypass a later, similar dungeon crawl with a difficult bit of diplomacy (which is fair, it shouldn't be EASY), but there is absolutely no way to avoid the first one.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Haven't participated in this thread in forever, but I have continued to steadily add to my GOG purchases. Lately I've been re-buying poo poo that I already own, because the GOG versions are compatible with Vista 64-bit by some kind of magic that I don't have access to (and I'm not talking about DOS games, just stuff like the Fallouts). It feels a little weird to be buying digital copies of games that I have physical box copies of, but I also like supporting GOG and I like knowing that I basically can't lose these games, nothing can happen to them that will make them not available to me anymore, and their compatibility for my platform is guaranteed.

Downloading Arcanum right now, though I am in the middle of playing the Fallouts. It's hard to decide what to do... A lucky jinxed ball-kicking retard run in Fallout 2 is a lot of fun, but it having been awhile since I played, I'm kind of missing the ability to do a lot of the quests that retards can't get. But then you hit some really hilarious dialog like this interaction between two 'tards:

I can't remember if Divine Divinity has any trouble installing on Vista or not... I've got it and Beyond Divinity both in boxed copy form, but I'm more than happy to throw some more money at GOG for providing such a badass service if it'll help my convenience. Divine Divinity's first town/dungeon is such a lovely introduction to such a great game, it's like FO2's Temple of Trials times a dozen and then you get into the real game and it's awesome.

The low prices make supporting GOG and supporting my convenience such a good value proposition, can't say no even when I maybe ought to.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Divine Divinity is most certainly worth rebuying. The studio made a patch for GoG like in the last month or two to fix some bugs and add widescreen support.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That seals the deal, buyin' that poo poo tonight. Thanks for the tip.

(I'm not re-buying Beyond Divinity, though. I can see what they were going for when they made it, but it ended up being more trouble than it was worth to play, not to mention ball-busting hard as I recall.)

I'd love to see Dungeon Siege 1 and its expansion go up on GOG, they have some real compatibility problems but they were fun and interesting games that shook up some of the conventions of the genre at the time. But Dungeon Siege 2 and its expansion work fine on Vista 64 and are way better games, so...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arcanum is such a fantastic game, but yes the mines were by far the worst part. I remember running back and forth repairing weapons like crazy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ahahahah that's cool man let me know when it gets up to like 200 games.

:smithicide:

quote:

Kingpin is the best first person shooter. Needs a sequel.

:frogout:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, bear in mind those 15 are just the ones I can name without actually looking at my Steam or GOG folders. All of which I haven't actually played more than 10 minutes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's especially depressing when I suddenly say to myself "where the hell did all the free space on this huge hard drive go?" Then, leafing through the installed programs control panel I realize there are dozens on the list with less than an hour played.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Charles Martel posted:

Ahahahah that's cool man let me know when it gets up to like 200 games.

Does GOG even have 200 games or are you counting steam?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

AxeManiac posted:

I'm counting GOG, Steam, the few physical PC games I have left, and the 20 or so Wii/GameCube games at my fiance's house I haven't even booted up yet. Plus, I'm at that point where I'm thinking, "I really should play these games already, but I could be doing something more productive."

Protip: Getting older sucks. Don't do it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

According to the wiki article they have 223 games (sourced June 21, 2010 - drat, someone's keeping on top of that).

Well I guess I haven't actually -beaten- any of the GOG downloads, but that's not the point, I have them! :downs:

Seriously though, part of the draw of GOG for me, beyond buying games I know I'll love with the understanding that they've gone far to make sure they're fully compatible with modern systems, is curiosity. I'm able to check out titles that received mixed or even poor reviews on their initial launch (thinking of Septerra Core, a game I bought soon after it became available on GOG) but can be justified at such low prices, and without DRM (e.g. if I don't like it, I'm sure my brother in law will play it anyway if I install it there while I'm visiting, and since he has no disposable income being 13 and all it's not like they're losing a sale). No real risk involved in spending such a low amount of money, but potentially good reward if it turns out to be a lot of fun after all. And I get to play around with some stuff I perhaps would not have had a chance to otherwise.

I'm a big proponent of the whole "abandonware" thing so it does kind of suck when a game comes up on GOG or another similar site and all of a sudden it turns from abandonware to some kind of piracy or something, but most of the titles available on GOG aren't eating into the vast array of titles available as abandonware (and, anyway, when they do take away the "free" of a game, they tend to at least give you something cool in return, e.g. all the original materials, manuals, sound tracks etc.). And if a game goes from being free to being GOG-not-free, it's usually cheap enough to justify paying for it anyway.

Between all the emulation, abandonware, freeware, commercial titles, and GOG games; PS2 games in a big binder, going unplayed except when I feel like loading up PCSX2; and PS3 games I'm starting to collect too... I've got more gaming entertainment then I could possibly ever manage to make use of. But that's alright, what the hell, it just means I shouldn't ever lack for something to do if I'm in the mood to play. And CD Projekt is a good company, I feel good supporting them. I'm not sure how much the right and left hands have to do with eachother w/r/t CD Projekt and CD Projekt RED, but as far as I'm concerned they're both kicking rear end and going way more than just the extra mile when it comes to customer support and actually caring about their endeavors beyond the point of sale. Rare in a publisher/developer these days, so they keep getting small amounts of my money and hopefully a lot of other folks' money too. Rock on, CD Projekt, and I'll play 'em when I get around to it. :v:

Edit: For illustration purposes - just nabbed Divine Divinity, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. I know Divine Divinity is great, love that game, looking forward to a more stable and upgraded experience! As for the other one, comes highly recommended from a relative who says that while it isn't very true to the World of Darkness lore (unlike Troika's V:TM-Bloodlines), it is a really fun, though linear classic CRPG experience. And for $6, why the hell not? That's the beauty of it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 22, 2010

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

You all know that, in Arcanum, you can bypass the mines with decent int and charisma and some good dialogue choices? You don't have to fight the rock golems that early in the game. Still total bullshit, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Arcanum is such a fantastic game, but yes the mines were by far the worst part. I remember running back and forth repairing weapons like crazy.

I did them with a tech gun dude (and this was before I even knew Otto's gun fix existed). I just told everyone in the party to wait by the entrance, then ran forward and chipped away at their health in real-time with the three-dot handgun you can make, which has a crazy stupid rate of fire in real-time mode.

Although admittedly I did spend five hours before that finding every last chunk of charcoal and every last box of saltpetre in the game. :v:

e;

GOG twitter posted:

@GOGcom: GOG now has Panzer General 2, the most well-known part of the General series and one of the greatest strategy games evah! http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/panzer_general_2

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 22, 2010

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Beat me to it, and I just saw that again last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Overwined posted:

Divine Divinity is most certainly worth rebuying. The studio made a patch for GoG like in the last month or two to fix some bugs and add widescreen support.

Hell, it's worth it alone for the fact that you get the awesome soundtrack in MP3 form.