Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Sorry for the double-post - are there any handy guides for painting different kinds of WWII-era camo? Thanks again!

Edit-- also, any suggestions for painting unit numbers or whatever on tanks, planes, etc? I've done some kits that came with decals you could apply, but I've got some kits that I'd need to do numbers myself (or buy decals I guess, if that's an option?).

I've seen stencils for sale, but buying decals would probably be cheaper if you don't need a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've seen stencils for sale, but buying decals would probably be cheaper if you don't need a lot.
Either one would work, to be honest. Any idea where I could buy some? Like, would a hobby supply store have one? Online stores like the War Store, etc?

edit-- checked Squadron.com, they had some decal sets that could work, but not in white. :saddowns: They had white for drippy/messy numbers, but not for clean numbers like I'd want.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 26, 2010

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Well, my big project is nearly finished. Expect photos soon. In the mean time, random question: a random tip I heard for building say, a airplane, is to spray it with the color that the underlying metal is before painting over it. By doing this, you subtly change the finish on the paint on top, making it more realistic. Good idea/ bad idea?

Also: sorry if this has been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxYRa0pqxlw

(A model that took 12 years to make.)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Either one would work, to be honest. Any idea where I could buy some? Like, would a hobby supply store have one? Online stores like the War Store, etc?

edit-- checked Squadron.com, they had some decal sets that could work, but not in white. :saddowns: They had white for drippy/messy numbers, but not for clean numbers like I'd want.

Microscale.com has tons of numbers and alphabets in various colors (including white).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SkunkDuster posted:

Microscale.com has tons of numbers and alphabets in various colors (including white).
Jackpot, awesome. :cheers: Thanks!

Also, any tips on types of sponges to use for painting weathering effects/rust, etc?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Xenomrph posted:

Jackpot, awesome. :cheers: Thanks!

Also, any tips on types of sponges to use for painting weathering effects/rust, etc?

Ask your female friends and relatives if they have some make-up sponges that they don't use anymore, or not to throw them away next time they are used up. Or just buy one yourself, if you want to spend the money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, my big project is nearly finished. Expect photos soon. In the mean time, random question: a random tip I heard for building say, a airplane, is to spray it with the color that the underlying metal is before painting over it. By doing this, you subtly change the finish on the paint on top, making it more realistic. Good idea/ bad idea?

Basecoat colour does affect the final look of the topcoat colour, yes. Priming white or black gives a completely different finish, as does priming with a bright silver. Some of the light that would normally penetrate the topcoat (let's say blue) & be absorbed by the black primer will be reflected by the white (or silver) & shine back through, making the final top colour brighter (or slightly metallic-looking).

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I've been doing a bit of weathering.

It might not be entirely realistic. I like to think of it as 'impressionist'.

edit:

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2010

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I also practiced my weathering/wear and tear/battle damage.

I think I overdid it a bit.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I think it looks pretty good. There are still a few too many shiny bits. Though maybe that's just the camera?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's a 1/76, so it's tiny. Spots that seem to be reflecting light like the one under the view port on the side are really hard to spot without magnification.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Airfix German desert recon kit? I had good fun building those two cars.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, that's the one. I mostly have 1/35 models, but the German armoured cars are too nifty to miss, especially for five bucks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot of really nice kits at 1:76 and 1:72 scale out there, and the difference at that size is comparatively minimal. They're cheap and good fun to build in an evening just to unwind or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Unkempt posted:

I've been doing a bit of weathering.

It might not be entirely realistic. I like to think of it as 'impressionist'.

edit:

That looks really awesome. Can you give any tips on how you did the rust on the doors? Like, how did you achieve that effect, what colors did you use, etc. Thanks!

I think it looks pretty neat, but the paint almost looks a little thick - maybe it's just the camera, but the paint seems to be obscuring some of the sculpted details on the model (rivets, viewports, armor lines, etc). Like, I could understand that effect if you wanted the model to look like it just got towed out of a swamp after being submerged for 40 years or something, but I'm not sure if that's the effect you were going for. :(

Unrelated question, but does anyone have tips for doing "realistic" mud splatter on tanks? Like, on the treads, near tread guards, etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's about as detailed as the model actually is. It's a pretty tiny and simple Airfix kit that's a couple of decades old by now.

When I'm weathering tank tracks I tend to try work out what the likely path of mud and dust will be when kicked up by the movement of the tracks. Normally this ends up with me having a lot of forward-pointing slashes of mucky colours on the sides of the tank and up the back, unless the mud guards are really big.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Xenomrph posted:

That looks really awesome. Can you give any tips on how you did the rust on the doors? Like, how did you achieve that effect, what colors did you use, etc. Thanks!

I sprayed it all red-brown first for the basic colour, then put on a few small blobs of some nearly dried-out old dark yellow paint I've got and left that to dry. Gave it a bit of a sand with fine wet and dry, then put some Copydex (latex glue) over the rust spots. Spray the top coat, leave that to dry then just rub off the bits where the glue was. I did some dry brushing after that too.

I need to make some windows for it but haven't got a clue how. I got some OHP acetate but I think it's too thin. I might just leave it as it is and pretend the windows are either broken or really, really clean.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I think it looks pretty neat, but the paint almost looks a little thick - maybe it's just the camera, but the paint seems to be obscuring some of the sculpted details on the model (rivets, viewports, armor lines, etc). Like, I could understand that effect if you wanted the model to look like it just got towed out of a swamp after being submerged for 40 years or something, but I'm not sure if that's the effect you were going for. :(

This is an old and pretty cheap kit. I don't even remember if the viewports actually had the slit on them or not. The detail is more visible in the back where there are hatches and exhaust vents.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's too bad some Airfix kits are so old, they cover some subjects that are not done by anyone else.

I think I may get their Short Sutherland, even though it's old and out of date.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, there are some very interesting old kits out there. I want the Zvezda cossacks kit, but it's not even on their website :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of Russian makers and web sites, Amodel makes a ton of stuff - if you've ever wanted an eastern bloc plane, they probably make it - but they don't have any sort of web site.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

Just because I was taking pictures of this lot anyway, here's the same car unpainted:

Not hugely impressive, but given the age and the fact that it's at most three inches long it's well worth the price (5 bux, as part of a set).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Question, I need some 25-35mm diameter wheel/tyre combos, something like on that scout car above. I only need a couple, I'm in the UK, any suggestions?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Just because I was taking pictures of this lot anyway, here's the same car unpainted:

Not hugely impressive, but given the age and the fact that it's at most three inches long it's well worth the price (5 bux, as part of a set).
So that front "license plate", was that a decal? Or did you hand-paint that?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are there acrylic paints out there that look "wet" after they dry? Like, if I wanted to paint "fresh blood" or "wet mud" on a model or something? Thanks!

Ninja :ninja: -- Sorry about the double-post. :saddowns:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Go for gloss paint mixed with gloss medium on a matte surface to look wet. The gloss paint is shiny and the medium adds volume.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

That kit comes with decals for the plates and the crosses. I got that effect by painting over the decal and then scraping the paint off with a knife.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

That post was actually my version of the kit that Ensign Expendable posted, which being unpainted could show the level of (or lack of) detail on the original model. He's done a pretty awesome job of making a fairly flat model look real. At that scale hand-painting unit markings and the like is possible, but it doesn't look so great. Airfix Sherman:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tuelean/Gallery/Miniatures/WIP/ShermanPlatoon/P1010004.JPG
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tuelean/Gallery/Miniatures/WIP/ShermanPlatoon/P1010011.JPG

The thumb is for scale, I swear.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Vaporware posted:

Go for gloss paint mixed with gloss medium on a matte surface to look wet. The gloss paint is shiny and the medium adds volume.

Future floor polish with a tiny amount of Simple Green is pure sex when it comes to making a finish look wet. It looks exactly the same fresh onto whatever you're coating with it as it does after curing. :circlefap:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How many of you ever worked with making molds?

I need to make copies of a M1A1 tank that is sized 1/160 for my military train. The only problem is I need about 30 tanks, and at 12.99 a pop its a little high. Any chance of making a copy using a resin product for cheaper than 12.99? I don't mind doing some clean up, as long as it doesn't take more than say 15 minutes per mold.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Depends, the mold kit will be around $30 and the resin will be $30. It's cheaper, but it may or may not turn out a very detailed product depending on how much time you spend setting up the mold.

For a first timer, grab trial size smooth-on Oomoo(?) 1 to 1 ratio silicone and smoothcast 300 or 325 resin.

TheFuglyStik posted:

Future floor polish with a tiny amount of Simple Green is pure sex when it comes to making a finish look wet. It looks exactly the same fresh onto whatever you're coating with it as it does after curing. :circlefap:

Never heard about the simple green addition, what does it modifiy?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How many of you ever worked with making molds?

I need to make copies of a M1A1 tank that is sized 1/160 for my military train. The only problem is I need about 30 tanks, and at 12.99 a pop its a little high. Any chance of making a copy using a resin product for cheaper than 12.99? I don't mind doing some clean up, as long as it doesn't take more than say 15 minutes per mold.
The internet says that these are a pretty good match at 1/160 scale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Vaporware posted:

Never heard about the simple green addition, what does it modifiy?

Simple green kills surface tension, which is why it is a good idea to add some kind of soap like simple green in the water you use to dilute paint.

Personally I just paint Vallejo gloss varnish over the stuff I want to have a wet finish.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 9, 2010

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Arquinsiel posted:

The internet says that these are a pretty good match at 1/160 scale.

Thanks! My google-fu isn't the best, but hey, those should work and at 3.99 a piece is good enough for me. Just need to load em all up on flat cars now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thanks! My google-fu isn't the best, but hey, those should work and at 3.99 a piece is good enough for me. Just need to load em all up on flat cars now.
Do you have a Target nearby? They have a million of those things on clearance at my local Target for, like, $1.50 apiece.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just stumbled across this rust effects stuff, anyone know if it's any good/worth the money?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
MIG stuff is good, but expensive.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I just stumbled across this rust effects stuff, anyone know if it's any good/worth the money?

Along those lines, I've been curious about RUSTALL. Anybody tried this stuff?

Also where do you guys order your models online? I was looking for an AH-64D Apache and found a place that sold a nice looking kit (I think it was a Hasegawa) and when you selected the product, it showed accessories such as photo-etched brass parts available for the model you were looking at. Problem is, I can't remember what that site was.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Take that political correctness!

I think it's from the mid ninties, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Nebakenezzer posted:

Take that political correctness!

I think it's from the mid ninties, but still.

I don't get it. :(