Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

In my music library, I've got some language-learning files that I ripped from a CD I bought. How do I exclude them from 'shuffle' when I play my music? It's quite strange to be listening to my music one minute and then have someone talking at me in a foreign language the next minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Xanin posted:

In my music library, I've got some language-learning files that I ripped from a CD I bought. How do I exclude them from 'shuffle' when I play my music? It's quite strange to be listening to my music one minute and then have someone talking at me in a foreign language the next minute.
I haven't tried this, but right-click the song(s) in your library, Get Info, go to the Options tab, and check "Skip when shuffling"?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

ah yeah sorry forgot to mention that... for windows.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Le0 posted:

ah yeah sorry forgot to mention that... for windows.

Both SharePod and Anapop (formerly Anapod) will work.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
Does anyone have any experience with Apple's refurbished iPods?

I can get an 8GB for $150, which seems like a great deal and about $30 cheaper than Amaazon's new model price.

On another note, storage aside, is there any significant difference between the 8gb model and the newer 32/64gb 3rd gen models? Is the extra power in them noticeable when gaming, for example? Seems hard to justify paying nearly double the price for an actual 3rd gen model if I can still run apps/games solid enough on the 8gb.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Nuitari posted:

We buy refurbished iPod Touches for people to test on. Haven't had any problems with them, yet.

Nuitari posted:

On another note, storage aside, is there any significant difference between the 8gb model and the newer 32/64gb 3rd gen models? Is the extra power in them noticeable when gaming, for example? Seems hard to justify paying nearly double the price for an actual 3rd gen model if I can still run apps/games solid enough on the 8gb.
The newer 3rd gen models have a newer GPU that supports OpenGLES 2.0 and has shaders.

Right now, the iPhone 3G -- which is similar to the 2nd gen iPod Touch -- is king and everyone targets that as their baseline config. However, in six months or a year, people may move to targeting 3rd generation as baseline, and you won't be able to run some of the games that come out. Probably more of an issue for 3D games; I imagine 2D and more casual games will continue to support the 3G/2nd generation config for a while.

Also, it's possible you may be able to upgrade a 2nd generation iPod Touch to iOS 5, whenever that comes out.

Hope that's helpful.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Nuitari posted:

I can get an 8GB for $150, which seems like a great deal and about $30 cheaper than Amaazon's new model price.

I bought a refurb, they all come with a 1 year warranty so screw it! Make the purchase.

My 8gb iPod actually came in with a loose headphone jack thing.. where I couldnt listen to music properly with headsets. I brought it to the apple store, and after a 30 minute wait.. they tested the device in about 2 minutes.. decided "Yeah this poo poo won't do" and gave me a new one on the spot.

gently caress YEAH. :D

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Both SharePod and Anapop (formerly Anapod) will work.

ok thanks I'll try those.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
Thanks for the info on the refurb/8gb. I think I may just spend the extra and get a real 3rd gen model (32gb) off Amazon. Not a significant price difference on that model compared to the refurbs. The extra processing power seems like it'd make it more future-proof and better for any web browsing and multi-tasking.

Nuitari fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 13, 2010

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Get the 3rd Gen 32GB model so you can do multitasking in a couple of weeks, you can't do that with the 2nd Gen 8GB model.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Astro7x posted:

Get the 3rd Gen 32GB model so you can do multitasking in a couple of weeks, you can't do that with the 2nd Gen 8GB model.

Or if you can wait a couple more months, just wait it out and see if you'd rather get a 4th gen touch.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Nuitari posted:

Thanks for the info on the refurb/8gb. I think I may just spend the extra and get a real 3rd gen model (32gb) off Amazon. Not a significant price difference on that model compared to the refurbs. The extra processing power seems like it'd make it more future-proof and better for any web browsing and multi-tasking.

Or you could buy it refurbished from Apple!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Speaking of an 8gb refurbished iPod touch...

I just received it in the mail this morning, plugged it in, charged it, registered it went to use it. I see the picture of the globe and "slide to unlock". The screen does not seem to be responding. The menu button on the bottom of the iPod will wake it up, and the botton on the top will wake it up and shut of the screen. I tried pressing and holding the top and the bottom buttons until it rebooted (saw the apple logo) but I still get nothing.

Please tell me I'm a moron and it's something really stupid.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Just to understand your problem.

You should see a button with an arrow pointing to the right [-->] and next to it.. it says "Slide to Unlock"

What you are saying is when you put your finger on the [-->] and SWIPE IT to the RIGHT.. NOTHING is happening?

If you can not swipe the [-->] button you might need to bring it to an Apple Store to get it tested and fixed/replaced on the spot.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

Just to understand your problem.

You should see a button with an arrow pointing to the right [-->] and next to it.. it says "Slide to Unlock"

What you are saying is when you put your finger on the [-->] and SWIPE IT to the RIGHT.. NOTHING is happening?

If you can not swipe the [-->] button you might need to bring it to an Apple Store to get it tested and fixed/replaced on the spot.

OH! Swipe the button!

Heh yeah nothing was happening. I called the local Apple store and made an appointment to go in tonight. The dude looked at it for a few minutes and said it was defective. Swapped out my refurb 8gb for a shiny new 8gb on the spot! Very happy with the service I got.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

HAHA sorry no.. one of my friends was trying to PUSH the button when she got the iPod Touch and it took like 30 minutes to figure out when she said "I did the button thing" didn't mean she slid it.. it means she pushed it and nothing happened.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How many days should the 2nd gen touch be able to go without ever being used? Just turned off screen? I think there is something wrong with my battery, but i'm not sure.

[edit]
Never mind, I just realized that the wifi might not be turning off, and a quick google search confirmed my suspension that this does happen. That is what is happening to my touch. While the screen is off, the wifi is suppose to turn off too except for like every 15 minutes or whenever you tell it to check for e-mail.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 15, 2010

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
OK, this is really annoying me. I copied a couple MP3 podcasts onto my 2G iPod Touch to check out this show, turned out I didn't like it, just went ahead and deleted the files on both the iPod and my computer. Now every time I sync my iPod, two copies of the two episodes show up on the iPod in the podcasts section. I can't figure out how to stop this. It is a mild annoyance, but a repeated mild annoyance gets old quickly. Any hints for stopping this?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My 32GB 3rd Gen Touch was freaking out today. It was playing songs switching between 1x and 2x speeds like a podcast, voice control was randomly activating, would randomly pause and play. I restarted the Touch and it was still doing it right from the start of the restart, but after I switched songs it stated to behave normally again for the rest of my commute.

Anybody have this happen before? So weird...

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Maybe whatever you had plugged into the headphone jack was screwing with it? All that stuff short of the 1x 2x speeds I'm pretty sure works on headphone remotes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's still happening. As soon as I plugged in my headphones it started acting weird, mainly going in and out of voice control.

Is there any way to disable voice control? All my google searches come up with how to disable Voice OVER, but that's not what I want to do.

Edit: This thread is shedding some light onto my problem
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2058354&start=0&tstart=0

It seems that changing the headset works in most fixes it (though I love my earbuds I JUST BOUGHT!), and it won't act up when the iPod is locked. That explains why all the weird stuff happens as soons as I unlock my iPod. But they are also saying there is no way to disable the Voice Over feature. LAME! I guess I can wait until iOS 4 and hope there's a fix...

Captain Charisma posted:

If the MLB At Bat app weren't complete poo poo, I'd be THRILLED with that. I would use it at school, and since the VPN would die when it went into sleep mode, I'd have to keep the screen on.

At Bat is amazing if you live outside the blackout zone of your favorite team, otherwise it's pretty pointless.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 22, 2010

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I bought a Refurbished ipod Touch (2nd gen) 8gb for my wife.

Is it normal for it to basically crash if you unplug it from the computer? If you don't press the eject button from itunes, every time it will go to a white screen and then turn off. Sometimes it will just cycle between a white screen then black screen then white screen etc. Then you have to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds or whatever to start it again. Seems pretty lovely to me.

This is after I spent the $5 to upgrade the software as well.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kashwashwa posted:

Is it normal for it to basically crash if you unplug it from the computer? If you don't press the eject button from itunes, every time it will go to a white screen and then turn off. Sometimes it will just cycle between a white screen then black screen then white screen etc. Then you have to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds or whatever to start it again. Seems pretty lovely to me.

My general experience with iPods, or any USB devices, is that on a Mac I NEED to eject the device properly or else it more often than not won't work properly the next time I go to use it. On a PC I never eject any device, and everything works fine. But then again, my girlfriend has an iPod Nano on a PC that she must eject properly or else it won't sync to iTunes the next time she plugs in and she has to use the Windows hardware eject for it to work again.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kashwashwa posted:

When I first got my Touch (2nd gen) I was misunderstanding the "Sync complete, ok to remove" message or whatever as "Ok to unplug the cable", and kept getting in a state where no non-stock apps would launch. That's always seemed a bit of an ambiguous message, but since then I've had no problems when I eject it properly.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Any word yet on when the 4th generation is going to hit the market? My Zune finally busted and I have an excuse to buy a better media player. Would it have any short-term affect on the price of a 3rd gen 32gb? Does anyone know what edge the 4th gen will have over the 3rd? Otherwise should I just go out and get a 3rd gen used or new or something? Buying new will cost me three times what I paid for my Zune, so I'm obviously looking to cut prices. Hell, at this rate, it would even seem more cost-effective to get an iPad, but I've got a laptop already, so what can you do?

Also, I know this isn't the thread for it, but is there really any application that makes it worth jailbreaking an iTouch?

E: There are a couple of offers on local Craigslist such as a 64gb for $285, a 32gb for $250, both are alleged to be new. There's a used 32gb for $200 and a very apparently used 16gb for $140. My only concern is that I may want that Apple store maintenance, especially if its used...

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 18, 2010

asveepay
Jul 7, 2005
internobody

Dead Horse posted:

Any word yet on when the 4th generation is going to hit the market? My Zune finally busted and I have an excuse to buy a better media player. Would it have any short-term affect on the price of a 3rd gen 32gb? Does anyone know what edge the 4th gen will have over the 3rd? Otherwise should I just go out and get a 3rd gen used or new or something? Buying new will cost me three times what I paid for my Zune, so I'm obviously looking to cut prices. Hell, at this rate, it would even seem more cost-effective to get an iPad, but I've got a laptop already, so what can you do?

Also, I know this isn't the thread for it, but is there really any application that makes it worth jailbreaking an iTouch?

E: There are a couple of offers on local Craigslist such as a 64gb for $285, a 32gb for $250, both are alleged to be new. There's a used 32gb for $200 and a very apparently used 16gb for $140. My only concern is that I may want that Apple store maintenance, especially if its used...

iPod refresh is usually September-ish, so try holding out a bit. Usually a new model has little appreciable impact on older ones to start off but eventually there's some clearing out, especially of refurb models at the Apple site.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I wonder if the new Touch will have the iPhone 4's redesigned body or not. I'm trying to decide whether or not to wait for it, or just get the iPhone. I feel like getting the phone would be a waste of money though, since I rarely talk on the phone.

I wonder if the Touch will get the camera w/LED flash this time around...

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

toxick posted:

I wonder if the new Touch will have the iPhone 4's redesigned body or not. I'm trying to decide whether or not to wait for it, or just get the iPhone. I feel like getting the phone would be a waste of money though, since I rarely talk on the phone.

I wonder if the Touch will get the camera w/LED flash this time around...

Was just reading up on that at iPod Republic, actually. It's all speculation, but people seem to be commonly pulling for a 5mp camera with the LED flash. Might be another reason for me to wait for the 4th, seeing as I haven't had a camera for 8 months now.

E: The 4G might be worth having on the future gaming front also, seeing as how it'll probably get that new gyro-meter like what the iPhone 4G's getting

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 18, 2010

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm still having problems with Voice Control taking over my iPod even though my microphone and headphones remote are incompatible with my Touch!

I've noticed that it only seems to happen when I'm listening to music, and it happens most often when music is playing and I then lock the screen, or if the headphones are plugged in and I unlock the screen. If the headphones are plugged in for awhile and I switch from video to music it usually doesn't act up. But unfortunately just letting the headphones freak out the iPod messes up the position in all my podcasts!

It's really weird... I hope they fix this in iOS 4, because I'm really pissed that I can't listen to music with my new headphones :(

Edit: okay, twisting the headphones while music is playing REALLY messes it up and causes voice control to freak out. Twisting it in the headphone jack during video does nothing.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2010

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Anyone updated yet? I'm trying but the backing up process is literally going to take 12-16 hours. Really wish Apple could figure out a loving better way to do this.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Anyone updated yet? I'm trying but the backing up process is literally going to take 12-16 hours. Really wish Apple could figure out a loving better way to do this.
Download and installed in less than 40 min for me.

EDIT
Seems there was a problem with my back up. All but apples own apps wouldn't open so I've had to reinstall them separately also lost music and video. My god dam bookmarked audio books are gone :mad:

Cheese Bridge Area fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 21, 2010

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Bioalchemist posted:

Download and installed in less than 40 min for me.

EDIT
Seems there was a problem with my back up. All but apples own apps wouldn't open so I've had to reinstall them separately also lost music and video. My god dam bookmarked audio books are gone :mad:

It Just Works™

Thankfully my upgrade went flawlessly. I can only only guess how many people have been buying 8GB iPod touches under the assumption they were 3rd gen devices and are now pissed off.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Goddamn this update.
First few times I try to download it tell me that it will take around 3 hours, and then twice it fails around 1 hour with a stupid network connectivity error. I say gently caress it and go do other things, and now when I try it downloads it quickly and all seems well.
But the fucker gets stuck at the backing up point of the upgrade, even though manual backups finish in about a minute.
So I let it run in the background and iTunes keeps stealing focus every minute, making doing other things really annoying.

In conclusion, gently caress iTunes.

Is there a way to tell it to skip the backup?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My update went fairly smoothly, but I've had a couple in the past that were a complete nightmare.

As for iOS4...eh. It's a bit snappier. The new Album page layout looks nice, as do the new dock and wallpapers. But outside of the iPod app it's still unbelievably boring looking and they'll probably never change that. Plus notifications are still fantastically lovely. It Just Works, though, I guess.

In addition, I forgot that they were taking out the double tap home -> portable music player that you could do in any app (which I used A LOT) for the stupid multitasking bar. Guess that's what happens when you only have one button.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Captain Charisma posted:

In addition, I forgot that they were taking out the double tap home -> portable music player that you could do in any app (which I used A LOT) for the stupid multitasking bar. Guess that's what happens when you only have one button.

Slide the task bar to the right. iPod controls!

You can also control Pandora and other audio-hijacking apps through that as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Captain Charisma posted:

But if you scroll to the side in the multitask bar, the music controls are still there.

EDIT: efb

Quick question on jailbreaking, guys. I have a jailbroken 2G 8gb Touch running 3.1.3. What is the order of doing things to upgrade and then jailbreak 4.0?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

JazzFlight posted:

But if you scroll to the side in the multitask bar, the music controls are still there.

EDIT: efb

Quick question on jailbreaking, guys. I have a jailbroken 2G 8gb Touch running 3.1.3. What is the order of doing things to upgrade and then jailbreak 4.0?
I was just going to ask this. I've only seen 3GS and 3G stuff but I was hoping that, since those are more complex, it meant the Touch was already done and nobody reported it in the rush.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Virion posted:

I was just going to ask this. I've only seen 3GS and 3G stuff but I was hoping that, since those are more complex, it meant the Touch was already done and nobody reported it in the rush.
http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2010/06/21/how-to-jailbreak-ios-4-0-public-release-firmware-for-iphone-ipod-touch/
This looks like the best lead... but I don't know if I want to be the first to take the plunge. It looks like the order of steps is:

1. Make sure you have iTunes 9.2
2. Back up your iPod using iTunes
3. Upgrade to official 4.0 in iTunes
4. Open up Redsn0w and click on the Browse button.
5. Navigate to the iOS 4.0 GOLD MASTER version of the firmware for your iDevice (not public release).
6. Go through the normal steps following the on screen instructions on the Redsn0w program.
7. Let the program run until it says it has completed successfully.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

JazzFlight posted:

http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2010/06/21/how-to-jailbreak-ios-4-0-public-release-firmware-for-iphone-ipod-touch/
This looks like the best lead... but I don't know if I want to be the first to take the plunge. It looks like the order of steps is:

1. Make sure you have iTunes 9.2
2. Back up your iPod using iTunes
3. Upgrade to official 4.0 in iTunes
4. Open up Redsn0w and click on the Browse button.
5. Navigate to the iOS 4.0 GOLD MASTER version of the firmware for your iDevice (not public release).
6. Go through the normal steps following the on screen instructions on the Redsn0w program.
7. Let the program run until it says it has completed successfully.
Ooo, yeah, the part about using the GM for the modification makes me a bit uncertain. I wish they explained why/what it was used for in the process, I'm guessing because they've already figured it out with that, but I don't know enough to be sure.

edit: just out of curiosity I checked the GM I have and the builds are the same as the 4 ipsw restore out on iTunes, but they differ by about 7mb. v:geno:v

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Virion posted:

Ooo, yeah, the part about using the GM for the modification makes me a bit uncertain. I wish they explained why/what it was used for in the process, I'm guessing because they've already figured it out with that, but I don't know enough to be sure.

edit: just out of curiosity I checked the GM I have and the builds are the same as the 4 ipsw restore out on iTunes, but they differ by about 7mb. v:geno:v
I know that the big difference is that the GM has the beta version of Game Center and the public release doesn't.

• Locked thread