Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

JazzFlight posted:

http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2010/06/21/how-to-jailbreak-ios-4-0-public-release-firmware-for-iphone-ipod-touch/
This looks like the best lead... but I don't know if I want to be the first to take the plunge. It looks like the order of steps is:

1. Make sure you have iTunes 9.2
2. Back up your iPod using iTunes
3. Upgrade to official 4.0 in iTunes
4. Open up Redsn0w and click on the Browse button.
5. Navigate to the iOS 4.0 GOLD MASTER version of the firmware for your iDevice (not public release).
6. Go through the normal steps following the on screen instructions on the Redsn0w program.
7. Let the program run until it says it has completed successfully.

Is there any way to do this with Windows? I don't have access to a mac but these sort of instructions are the sort I can understand.
edit: Wait a sec I'm dumb.

DiabloStarCraft fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Don't Ask posted:

Goddamn this update.
First few times I try to download it tell me that it will take around 3 hours, and then twice it fails around 1 hour with a stupid network connectivity error. I say gently caress it and go do other things, and now when I try it downloads it quickly and all seems well.
But the fucker gets stuck at the backing up point of the upgrade, even though manual backups finish in about a minute.
So I let it run in the background and iTunes keeps stealing focus every minute, making doing other things really annoying.

In conclusion, gently caress iTunes.

Is there a way to tell it to skip the backup?

I had the same problem and fixed it as so:

- make sure you have a recent normal backup
- hold down the shift key(or option on a Mac) and click the restore button in iTunes, which will prompt you to find a recovery file
- navigate to the file(google for directions on where to find the .ipsw file for your specific OS) and run it
- your phone will restore and then ask you to point it to a backup
- use the backup and your stuff will be fine

I thought all my stuff was lost as well but the backup saved everything and I'm on 4.0 and loving it.

By the way, most underrated 4.0 feature for Touch users: persistent Wi-Fi, will not go away if you sleep the Touch.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Crotch Bat posted:

By the way, most underrated 4.0 feature for Touch users: persistent Wi-Fi, will not go away if you sleep the Touch.

Oh boy I can't wait to chew through my battery life by leaving the thing on overnight with Wi-Fi on by accident.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
It only stays on if an app is using it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apparently 4.0 has an issue where your wifi doesn't turn off when you shut off your screen. Be sure to turn off your wifi manually.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

JazzFlight posted:

I know that the big difference is that the GM has the beta version of Game Center and the public release doesn't.
That's what I figured, but the file size for the GM is 323.7 MB and the file size for the official release is 330.3 MB. I don't know enough to speculate what the extra stuff could be, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I said come in! posted:

Apparently 4.0 has an issue where your wifi doesn't turn off when you shut off your screen. Be sure to turn off your wifi manually.
Whaaaaaaat. That's a crippling flaw. Why would I upgrade if it does that? You know how many times I put my iPod Touch into sleep? Are you sure about this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Whaaaaaaat. That's a crippling flaw. Why would I upgrade if it does that? You know how many times I put my iPod Touch into sleep? Are you sure about this?

I know its happening to me. My battery drains way faster since updating to 4.0.

Another way I know is that when I put it into sleep mode, and turn the screen back on, the wifi icon is still there and it shouldnt be. It always takes a few seconds to come back on. My battery is completely draining by the next day, it really sucks. Unless I turn off the wifi then I am fine. I have been playing with 4.0 since the final release at WWDC.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 22, 2010

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Touch comes with Airplane Mode now. I keep my Wi-Fi turned on and when I go to sleep I'll just flip the switch for that and it'll be fine.

I said come in! posted:

Another way I know is that when I put it into sleep mode, and turn the screen back on, the wifi icon is still there and it shouldnt be. It always takes a few seconds to come back on. My battery is completely draining by the next day, it really sucks. Unless I turn off the wifi then I am fine. I have been playing with 4.0 since the final release at WWDC.

Its supposed to now? Its not a flaw or bug, its what Apple intended unless I'm seriously misreading something here.

From the Apple site on iOS4 changes for the Touch:

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 22, 2010

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crotch Bat posted:

Touch comes with Airplane Mode now. I keep my Wi-Fi turned on and when I go to sleep I'll just flip the switch for that and it'll be fine.
But I must put my iPod into sleep mode maybe 10-15 times a day! That's definitely not a feature and I'll hold off on upgrading now. (unless that can be disabled?)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Its supposed to now? Its not a flaw or bug, its what Apple intended unless I'm seriously misreading something here.

From the Apple site on iOS4 changes for the Touch:

Ooh okay, I always assumed it was some serious oversight on Apples part and it would be fixed pronto. Never mind then. I don't like this, but I can live with it. I wish it had a mode where it enables wifi whenever it detects that you might need it and to check e-mail every 15 minutes to 1 hour.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I said come in! posted:

Another way I know is that when I put it into sleep mode, and turn the screen back on, the wifi icon is still there and it shouldnt be. It always takes a few seconds to come back on.
Mine appeared to be doing the same, but after waiting a minute I woke it and the icon popped back up in a fraction of second, so it could be that they've improved it. Not sure yet.

edit: oops seems I messed with my iPod lock a bit too long and didn't see the above posts. v:shobon:v

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Was there no GM release for the ipod touch 3GS or does it use the same firmware as the 3G?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Was there no GM release for the ipod touch 3GS or does it use the same firmware as the 3G?
There was a GM release for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch (2nd Gen), and iPod Touch (3rd Gen).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I guess if you're using the Touch more in your day-to-day it could be an issue and no, no disable that I can find, but I guess Apple will say that's what airplane mode is for. However, I leave mine at home and use it there so I doubt it'll be that big of a deal with the battery to me. I tend to charge once a day out of habit anyways.

I like the feature but I can see where others won't. Perhaps they did this in anticipation of a new Touch with a better battery like the new phone.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Small White Dragon posted:

There was a GM release for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch (2nd Gen), and iPod Touch (3rd Gen).

I guess I'll just wait a day for everything to be fixed then. Safe to upgrade to 4.0 in the mean time? I don't give a crap about my jailbroken apps and whatever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

I like the feature but I can see where others won't. Perhaps they did this in anticipation of a new Touch with a better battery like the new phone.

This is what I was thinking too. Its totally a non-issue on the iphone 4.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the MLB At Bat app weren't complete poo poo, I'd be THRILLED with that. I would use it at school, and since the VPN would die when it went into sleep mode, I'd have to keep the screen on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Goddamnit, Apple still didn't give the options to disable Voice Controls on this loving thing. Voice Controls are completely useless! First of all, my headphones freak voice controls the gently caress out with pausing, skipping, fast forward and whatever. Second, if I have it in my pocked with my case on Voice Controls will quite often accidentally activate itself and cause my music to stop.

Guh... there's a huge thread about people having the same issues on the Apple Forums, but they won't do anything about it! The only way I can seem to have a remote is with Apple's lovely headphones that fall out while wearing.

Captain Charisma posted:

If the MLB At Bat app weren't complete poo poo, I'd be THRILLED with that. I would use it at school, and since the VPN would die when it went into sleep mode, I'd have to keep the screen on.

At Bat is amazing if you live outside your fave teams blackout zone, otherwise it's pretty pointless. If I wanted to listen to the radio broadcast I'd use my radio for free.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 22, 2010

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I hope this firmware is hacked and the hackers get stuff like multitasking to work on the 2nd gen ipod touch, or at the very least get the fast app switcher to work.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ratbert90 posted:

I hope this firmware is hacked and the hackers get stuff like multitasking to work on the 2nd gen ipod touch, or at the very least get the fast app switcher to work.
Pretty sure they've been able to turn on multitasking, but the reality is there's just not enough RAM to do it well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

Pretty sure they've been able to turn on multitasking, but the reality is there's just not enough RAM to do it well.

well at least the last app launcher/wallpaper/everything else that was left out would be nice :(

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

So if I have an 8gb 2G iPod touch, what do I gain by upgrading to iOS 4.0? It seems like everything useful doesn't work on it.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
So now when you put your iPod to sleep the wifi keeps running? I don't normally turn my iPod off, and usually have the wifi switched to on for convenience sake, so basically this will cause my iPod to die in a few hours unless I drastically alter my usage tendencies. Great.

Is there an option to have it behave the same way it used to? Otherwise I guess I'll wait until there is. I only really had a use for folders anyway.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

plester1 posted:

So if I have an 8gb 2G iPod touch, what do I gain by upgrading to iOS 4.0? It seems like everything useful doesn't work on it.

I mean I had 9 pages worth of apps and games and now I just have 1. Folders loving rock. There's also a spellchecker added, they changed what you can do to playlists, a unified inbox, threaded e-mail, and other stuff you can google to find out more.

Its not a product-changing update for my 2g Touch but I like what I'm seeing and it beats the poo poo out of paying for it and getting dick squat like I did with 3.0.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 22, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

At Bat is amazing if you live outside your fave teams blackout zone, otherwise it's pretty pointless. If I wanted to listen to the radio broadcast I'd use my radio for free.

I don't have access to a radio, but it is pointless when it's 2 minutes behind what is actually happening.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Anyone who has it updated please let me know if you can turn off the wifi on while asleep thing. I really want to update outside of that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ninja Toast! posted:

Anyone who has it updated please let me know if you can turn off the wifi on while asleep thing. I really want to update outside of that.

You can't. I'm assuming that's what they made Airplane Mode for, between that and a new battery-improved 4th gen Touch, you'd never really have to mess with your Wi-Fi settings again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys jumping the gun freaking out over wifi? I updated within minutes of 4.0 being available, streamed Slacker for an hour while mowing the lawn, and now it's many hours later and my battery meter is still showing full (no percentage display).

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

You can't. I'm assuming that's what they made Airplane Mode for, between that and a new battery-improved 4th gen Touch, you'd never really have to mess with your Wi-Fi settings again.

Ah hell. I rarely actually turn mine off, and also rarely turn off the Wifi. Doing so regularly sounds like a huge pain.

This feature would actually be handy if it had an on off function though.

^^Really? Using mine begins to drain it noticeably (shows up on the main tiny meter, not just on a battery meter app) in about 20 minutes. How new is yours?

VV Yeah I figured, but I already don't bother switching wifi from on to off, so there isn't any difference in effort there.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 22, 2010

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ninja Toast! posted:

Ah hell. I rarely actually turn mine off, and also rarely turn off the Wifi. Doing so regularly sounds like a huge pain.

This feature would actually be handy if it had an on off function though.

The airplane mode thing is just a switch. Its just Settings -> On/Off switch. Very quick and painless. When you turn it back on, the Wi-Fi comes back and immediately connects where it can.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys jumping the gun freaking out over wifi? I updated within minutes of 4.0 being available, streamed Slacker for an hour while mowing the lawn, and now it's many hours later and my battery meter is still showing full (no percentage display).

Same here. I'm guessing others just use their Touch a lot more.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how do I add PDFs to the iBooks App? I see no options to do this, but they made a huge loving deal about this in the keynote. Do I have to e-mail stuff to myself and then download it? I tried that with a 17MB PDF and it said it was too big.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

So how do I add PDFs to the iBooks App? I see no options to do this, but they made a huge loving deal about this in the keynote. Do I have to e-mail stuff to myself and then download it? I tried that with a 17MB PDF and it said it was too big.

you know, you could uh... read the last 20 or something posts?

Put them in the book section of itunes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ratbert90 posted:

you know, you could uh... read the last 20 or something posts?

Put them in the book section of itunes.

Maybe you're referring the the iPhone thread, because I haven't seen anything about it in here.

Anyway, iBooks can read the PDFs I have that look like garbled text in every single PDF reader I have tried. HURRAY!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

For what it's worth, you can already get multitasking on jailbroken 2/3g iPods using 3.1.2 with the Cydia app Backgrounder. Additionally, you can get folder support using Categories. I paid a dollar for a version that encodes itself into Winterboard, making it that much snappier.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I hope the 4th gen iPod touch gets the iPhone 4's updated hardware and design, camera included this time. An internal mic would be awesome too.

I'm hoping for too much.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pictures of an iPod Touch with a camera have already leaked so

I'm guessing it'll have the same curved shell but will also have that screen fused LCD poo poo or whatever

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I love that they added brightness controls into the iBooks application. So how long until they finally add it to other applications like Video?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Long time, but really stupid question. I'm going to nuke/restore my 1st Gen Touch and go legit. I get that IOS4 does not work with the 1st gen. Would Apple still charge for IOS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Pictures of an iPod Touch with a camera have already leaked so

I'm guessing it'll have the same curved shell but will also have that screen fused LCD poo poo or whatever

I'm pretty sure those images were of a 3rd gen prototype.

• Locked thread