Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Just saw that my store got Flash Gordon in today but I do not see it up on hidefdigest yet. Any one here have any reviews of how it looks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blu-Ray.com screencaps. It appears to be the victim of some DNR, but nothing too excessive. If you're a fan of the film it's probably a good buy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The consensus on AVS Forum seems to be that Flash Gordon looks terrific, so you can probably take that to the bank.

Back to the Future Trilogy is looking like a 10/26 release.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is going to sound weird, but Flash Gordon looking waxy and like he's from a comic book from DNR might actually benefit the movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

This is going to sound weird, but Flash Gordon looking waxy and like he's from a comic book from DNR might actually benefit the movie.

hahaha

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I sold my old Predator Bluray when this was announced.

:suicide:

Oh well, it's not like I haven't sextuple-dipped before. (Bond movies :argh: )

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bet Fox has a DNR free master they're sitting on, waiting to unleash.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Charisma posted:

I bet Fox has a DNR free master they're sitting on, waiting to unleash.

Predator: Thrill of the Hunt Edition, coming August 2011.

Predator: If it Bleeds, We Can Kill It Edition, July 2012

Predator: Slack-jawed human being Edition, April 2013

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
They should call this one "One Ugly Motherfucker Edition".

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Back to the Future Trilogy is looking like a 10/26 release.

I hope they did that on purpose because it is AWESOME.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Would be better if it was 10/25 but it's close enough that I'm assuming it's intentional.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
gently caress the 25th, the 26th is when all the poo poo goes DOWN.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Predator: Thrill of the Hunt Edition, coming August 2011.

Predator: If it Bleeds, We Can Kill It Edition, July 2012

Predator: Slack-jawed human being Edition, April 2013

I'll hold out for the God-damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition, thanks. :colbert:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Philip J Fry posted:

I'll hold out for the God-damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition, thanks. :colbert:

The fact that companies do not use names like this confuse me. Seriously, I would almost buy this movie on that name alone. With a name like Thrill of the Hunt Edition I think to myself "Maybe I should check the PQ etc when I get home." If I were to see God-Damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition I would buy it on the spot, because at worst I have an amazingly named special edition that will always be a conversation starter when someone new is by my place.

I can completely understand Slack-jawed human being Edition not happening, but Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition should.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

code:
Disc 1: - Extended Director's Cut (2000) plus Special Features

* Commentary by William Friedkin
    * Raising Hell: Filming the Exorcist – set footage produced and photographed by Owen Roizman, camera and makeup tests, and interviews with director William Friedkin, actress Linda Blair, author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty and Owen Roizman (new; Blu-ray exclusive)
    * The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now – Featuring a tour of the iconic locations where the film was shot (new; Blu-ray exclusive)
    * Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist – with director William Friedkin and author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty discussing the different versions of the film and featuring outtakes from the film (new; Blu-ray exclusive)
    * Trailers, TV spots & radio spots from the film's 2000 release 

Disc 2 - Theatrical Cut (1973) plus Special Features

* Introduction by William Friedkin
    * Commentaries:
          o William Friedkin
          o William Peter Blatty with Special Sound Effects Tests 
    * The Fear of God: 25 Years of The Exorcist [1998 BBC documentary]
    * Additional interviews with William Friedkin and William Peter Blatty:
          o The Original Cut
          o Stairway to Heaven
          o The Final Reckoning 
    * Original ending
    * Sketches & storyboards
    * Trailers & TV spots from the 1973 version 
Not sure what region this is from, but it's pretty cool:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More cover art:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

That's not final, it's from the promo sheet. That may end up being the cover, but until I see a wacky C on there, I'll reserve judgement.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The Thin Red Line is the one movie I have wanted on Blu since the format came out. Well, that and Last of the Mohicans.

gently caress I can't wait.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

doctor thodt posted:

Criterion usually has the best cover art, but I'm not in love with that font. It kinda looks like a child tried to draw the Fight Club font. It's too thin, perhaps they could use a thick white line? :downsrim:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
So is Friedkin pretending that the longer version is his preferred version now? That guy is full of poo poo.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ProfessorClumsy posted:

So is Friedkin pretending that the longer version is his preferred version now? That guy is full of poo poo.

Hey, as long as both are on the BD (as has been announced), then he can like whatever he chooses. I've never had a problem with directors revising their work as long as the original people fell in love with is still available too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I don't think it's anything new, on both accounts. He seemed pretty excited over it on a documentary made a couple decades after the original cut, and on the same documentary he sounded like a douche when arguing with the screenwriter, or producer, can't recall which

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 21, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Honest Thief posted:

I don't think it's anything new, on both accounts. He seemed pretty excited over it on a documentary made a couple decades after the original cut, and on the same documentary he sounded like a douche when arguing with the screenwriter, or producer, can't recall which

He's been on record many times arguing with Blatty over it, defending his own decision to cut the scenes that magically reappeared on the extended version and now he prefers that version?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 5 9/14
Jacob's Ladder 9/14

The Crazies reviewed
Death Race 2000 reviewed
Green Zone reviewed
The Last Station reviewed
Uncle Sam reviewed

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Hey, as long as both are on the BD (as has been announced), then he can like whatever he chooses. I've never had a problem with directors revising their work as long as the original people fell in love with is still available too.

What's the use of it being available on BD if it's going to look like poo poo?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 5 9/14

Hopefully it's actually HD this time.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Captain Charisma posted:

Hopefully it's actually HD this time.

I've heard Season 5 was still filmed using SD cameras, just presented in widescreen for the first time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I've heard Season 5 was still filmed using SD cameras, just presented in widescreen for the first time.

Oh yeah that was the last season, wasn't it.

Yeah it looked like they had new cameras that looked better, but it was clearly SD. Thanks Fox, you cunts.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Captain Charisma posted:

Oh yeah that was the last season, wasn't it.

Yeah it looked like they had new cameras that looked better, but it was clearly SD. Thanks Fox, you cunts.

So much raging... That's how they filmed the show, it's either a stylistic choice because everything on the show is so ramshackle, or they just don't have the budget for new cameras and an HD workflow. It has nothing to do with Blu-ray or Fox's home video department.

You can get it on BD for probly a few bucks more and get fewer discs, lossless audio, and maybe better upscaling than your TV or player could do - or just get it on DVD if the concept of an upscaled BD insults you so much.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uh...the decision to put it on Blu-Ray is entirely the fault of Fox's home video department? I don't see what is so confusing about how dumb this is.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Captain Charisma posted:

Uh...the decision to put it on Blu-Ray is entirely the fault of Fox's home video department? I don't see what is so confusing about how dumb this is.

I thought you were raging because it was SD, which is totally out of the BD department's hands. But you're just mad because it's on BD? You don't have to buy it...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Neo_Reloaded posted:

So much raging... That's how they filmed the show, it's either a stylistic choice because everything on the show is so ramshackle, or they just don't have the budget for new cameras and an HD workflow. It has nothing to do with Blu-ray or Fox's home video department.

You can get it on BD for probly a few bucks more and get fewer discs, lossless audio, and maybe better upscaling than your TV or player could do - or just get it on DVD if the concept of an upscaled BD insults you so much.

Yeah. I like how many people in here say they will buy older SD shows on Bluray so they can have less discs and then bitch / will bitch about this. If there are fewer discs, I will be all about the Bluray so I don't have to switch discs as often.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Plus BDs stand up to hell, my DVD collection is starting to get kind of ugly just from sitting in a stationary binder. They pick up scratches way, way too easily. BDs by comparison have the brilliant hard coating as part of the spec, I feel a hell of a lot better buying a BD than I do a DVD because I know that even if I don't baby it, it's still going to look brand new years down the line. Whereas I try to take really good care of my DVD collection and they seem to pick up scratches from ambient movement of air or something.

If I have the choice between buying seasons on DVD or on BD, that definitely factors in (especially since, unlike movies, they're probably going to get shuffled around more, since movies are kind of a "thing" that my wife and I do together while we can pop in some TV show whenever).

Not that I wouldn't appreciate it if more shows were filmed in HD and all that, of course. :D

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Asnorban posted:

Yeah. I like how many people in here say they will buy older SD shows on Bluray so they can have less discs and then bitch / will bitch about this. If there are fewer discs, I will be all about the Bluray so I don't have to switch discs as often.

Problem with this is that the MSRP on the Blu-Ray is $10 more and that it is still a two-disc release (meaning Fox is cheaping out and using single-layer discs) while the DVD is three.

If it was all of season 5 on one Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD, I doubt there would be any bitching.

doctor thodt posted:

Jacob's Ladder 9/14

The region B looked very good for an Optimum release. Fingers crossed that the American version isn't screwed up.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 22, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

Problem with this is that the MSRP on the Blu-Ray is $10 more and that it is still a two-disc release (meaning Fox is cheaping out and using single-layer discs) while the DVD is three.

If it was all of season 5 on one Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD, I doubt there would be any bitching.

Precisely. When I say "Hey wouldn't it be cool to say, have a full season of The Simpsons on a disc?" I don't mean "Gee, I hope they just throw the season onto a couple of discs and then charge regular Blu-Ray prices!!!!" I mean that I hope they condense it into one disc and a lower price. This is just the worst of both worlds.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Captain Charisma posted:

Precisely. When I say "Hey wouldn't it be cool to say, have a full season of The Simpsons on a disc?" I don't mean "Gee, I hope they just throw the season onto a couple of discs and then charge regular Blu-Ray prices!!!!" I mean that I hope they condense it into one disc and a lower price. This is just the worst of both worlds.

I don't see how a lowered price is too reasonable. It is from a consumers '1 disc costs less than 5 discs' but for the company they likely see it as a benefit to the consumer to have on one disc. When I made my first comment I didn't know the price was +$10 over the DVD, so my comments don't really stand up with that knowledge. I would gladly pay the same price as the DVDs to get the seasons on one disc if possible.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Picked up Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: London Calling: Live In Hyde Park and it totally makes up for the last Springsteen release on bluray; the image and sound are fantastic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Asnorban posted:

I don't see how a lowered price is too reasonable. It is from a consumers '1 disc costs less than 5 discs' but for the company they likely see it as a benefit to the consumer to have on one disc. When I made my first comment I didn't know the price was +$10 over the DVD, so my comments don't really stand up with that knowledge. I would gladly pay the same price as the DVDs to get the seasons on one disc if possible.

If they can sell a movie burned on a dual layer disc for $20-25, it isn't that crazy to expect a season of a TV show shot in SD to cost the same...all on one disc.

I mean, seriously, look at this.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five on 3 DVD - $25.99

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five on 2 BR - $34.99

gently caress them. That is not only cheap/lazy using single layer discs but a clear cash grab to rip off Blu-Ray fans.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sporadic posted:

If they can sell a movie burned on a dual layer disc for $20-25, it isn't that crazy to expect a season of a TV show shot in SD to cost the same...all on one disc.

I mean, seriously, look at this.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five on 3 DVD - $25.99

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five on 2 BR - $34.99

gently caress them. That is not only cheap/lazy using single layer discs but a clear cash grab to rip off Blu-Ray fans.

I gotcha. I stand in full agreement.

In other news, I got my Moon bluray today, can't wait to watch it. The theater I saw it in had it misframed and with lovely sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Maybe the studio's think the consumer will think they're getting less if they purchase whole seasons of a show on 1 disc. Often on the boxes they emphasize "X episodes on Y discs" so maybe that has something to do with it. Not that I agree with the price hike just playing devil's advocate.

• Locked thread